Yin 8: The Dragons’ Decision

Yin 8: The Dragons’ Decision

A Chapter by Sharmake Abdi Bouraleh
"

The Dragons discuss prudent methods and plot out appropriate actions.

"

Kyo studied the man before him. His name was Felipe, as Takamura had said. He seemed to be of average height, dark eyes, and a shiny white smile. The man had a green windbreaker on, slim white jeans, and black loafers. He also donned an expensive watch, which he noted didn't seem to be ticking -- why wear a watch if he couldn't tell time with it?

 

Haruhiko harrumphed at Felipe's words; he wasn't particularly fond of the Dragon of Life at all. Felipe's unconvincing smile was still on his face as he gazed between the two old comrades, ignoring the others.

 

"Still bitter about who got what, Haruhiko? You'd think a refined gentleman such as yourself would be above holding petty grudges and the like." He flashed a winning smile at the older man, who simply glared at the Hispanic man.  Clearly the charming act wasn't going to work on these two.

 

"What brings you guys to Sicily?" he ventured, offering a chuckle as he slowly regained his usual cockiness. Eyeing them, he noted that Takamura hadn't aged a day, while Haruhiko looked older than ever.

 

"I suspect you know what manner of business this is, Felipe-san, as two of your Order stand before you." The sensu fan she held wavered slightly, and Felipe's eyes shot to it. He saw the image of the feral dragon on it, and felt a pang of guilt; he hadn't exactly been keeping in contact with the other Dragons, despite their vow to keep each other informed.

 

The Dragon of Life ran his hand through his messy hair; he liked it that way, to give the ladies the impression that he was thrilling and wild and untameable -- after all, women loved to tame and have men change for them. He gestured to the table Deborah had sat at, indicating for Loki to visit them in a bit to take their orders. He rose, striding over to the booth as he slid in to the middle. Haruhiko and Sonic slid into one side, with Takamura sliding into the other. Kyo made to sit down with her, but Takamura stopped him.

 

"This is not a conversation you are meant to hear. Wait outside."

 

"But--" Kyo attempted to argue, but he was cut off by the sound of Takamura's sensu fan sharply snapping shut.

 

"Ike."

 

The boy frowned, knowing better than to keep arguing with her. He made to rise from the table, and Sonic rose with him. The young man smiled benevolently. "I'll keep you company." Kyo nodded briskly, skulking over to the front door, Sonic following him and closing the entrance behind them.

 

It was finally time to get down to business.

 

The man, Felipe, placed his elbows on the table, lacing his fingers together as he glanced towards Haruhiko, than Takamura. "Well, who is it? Who was it referring to?"

 

Takamura gazed directly at him, her eyes sharp and austere. "A girl, similar in age to Kyo." She gestured to the boy who had just left. "You have heard of the Yamaguchi Massacre?"

 

"The one where the would-be politician and his wife was slain? Yes, I've heard about that when I was staying in Japan. It was carried out in order to demonstrate the power of the Yakuza, right?"

 

"Yes. The girl, Hatsumomo, was his daughter."

 

Surprise gripped Felipe. "She's who they've got? What more could they want with the last living member of the Yamaguchi family?"

 

"She's not the last living member of the Yamaguchi clan. She has an elder sister. Her whereabouts are currently unknown."

 

"S**t." Felipe's eyes darted from side to side, thinking quickly. "Poor girl. What do they want with her? Why should she suffer for her father's insolence?"

 

"Insolence?" Haruhiko spoke up, his tone gruff. 'You dare call a man of Yamaguchi Hideo's calibre insolent? The man, living or dead, has more honour than you. He did what he did to protect his family, Sapporo, and all of Japan. And what do you do? You travel from country to country, consuming alcohol and lusting after women! Who are you to besmirch the Yamaguchi name?"

 

Felipe's lip curled, glaring at Haruhiko. "And what about you, old timer? You see fit to lecture me about my habits, yet there you sit within the lap of luxury in the Yakuza, the very killers of the Yamaguchi family! You run with that group, and you think you can lecture me? I'd watch your tongue, if I were you, Dragon of Death, before you experience your domain yourse--"

 

"Minna-san." Both men stopped instantly, head whirling to face Takamura. "Be quiet. Are you children? Are you this dysfunctional, unable to hold a simple conversation with your Order? How disgraceful, the Dragon of Death and Dragon of Life, both incapable of maintaining their cool disposition and honour their statuses as Dragons." Her words were sharp, biting into the men's egos. "The previous Dragons of Life and Death were noted to get along together famously. Yet here you two are, bickering like children, incapable of a kind word to each other. How would the previous Dragons who shared your title feel about this mockery of their dynamic legacy?"

 

Felipe said nothing, scratching the back of his head sheepishly. Haruhiko simply harrumphed, content to voice his displeasure subtly. Takamura went on, unperturbed.

 

"Felipe-san, you know very well that Haruhiko-san was placed in the Yakuza decades ago, with instructions to do as they asked of him. He was their pawn, but our knight: information gleaned by him may prove pivotal to our success. You would be wise to appreciate his presence in the mafia, not condemn it." The itako's burning onyx eyes turned onto the elderly man. "Haruhiko-san, I should hope you know better than to cause discord amongst your own. Your obsession with the Dragon of Life's position should've ended the moment you were selected Dragon of Death. Even if the previous Dragon of Life died as he did, leaving the position vacant, it is not for you to claim the title. You do not have that right nor that power. Know your place, Haruhiko-san, and do with it the best you can. You are getting on in years, so learn to appreciate what you have, before it is all taken away from you. Especially since this journey may be the last you, let alone all of us, partake in."

 

The old man grumbled, but he stopped when he caught the disapproving glance Takamura sent his way. He sighed. "Very well, Takamura-san. Felipe-san, gomen nasai. Forgive my rashful behaviour."

 

The Hispanic man nodded. "Forgive my impudent behaviour as well, Señor Haruhiko. I should not have spoken ill of a hero. Lo siento."

 

Both men nodded. Takamura then proceeded, a shadow of a smile on her face. "The first line of the prophecy has been fulfilled. Hatsumomo, the personification of Innocence, has been taken. 'A hero shall rise, aided by a whisperer of death.' How convenient that Kyo stumbles into our lives not a day before Hatsumomo is kidnapped. I trust you see where I'm going with this."

 

Haruhiko's eyes shot wide open, and Felipe rose his eyebrows in surprise. "T-that boy?" Haruhiko stuttered, disbelieving. "How do you know it's him? The boy has no observable talents!"

 

"'Aided by a whisperer of death.' Haruhiko-san, surely you know of my abilities as an itako? I am the 'whisperer of death' prophesied to help the chosen one, as dictated by the prophecy revealed unto us. I believe Kyo to be the boy."

 

"On what reasoning?" Felipe interjected, stunned. "Why do you believe him to be the one?"

 

"It is as I said. How convenient for Kyo to stumble into Hatsumomo and I's life, as well as have Misaki-san acknowledge him, and Hatsumomo's disappearing less than a day after we met. Fate has a funny way of manifesting. There is also one other reason."

 

"Oh?" Haruhiko asked, sarcastically. "And what's that, Takamura-san?"

 

The itako looked Haruhiko dead in the eye before answering. "I have no intention of aiding anyone else. I believe him to be one of the Children of the Zodiac."

 

Felipe didn't know what to make of this. Takamura was going off a hunch, as though she could determine their fate by herself. "Now listen here, Señora Takamura, this is crazy talk. The boy is young, our enemy is strong, beyond our imagination's ability to perceive their strength. He's a boy. How can you possibly believe he's the one? How can you choose him, as though he is one of the Children of the Zodiac? How do you know whether or not this is destined fate or your personal preference?"

 

Takamura sighed. "Felipe-san, Fate is not something that is easily understood. Nevertheless, I shall explain it. Fate is predominant in life. Some things are destined to occur. Others are destined not to. Fate is the ultimate power in determining one's future. However, there is also a force just as powerful, and some will argue more so."

 

"That being...?"

 

"Free will. Choice. We are free to choose how to handle our fate. We are able to choose how we react to it. For Hatsumomo, it was her fate to lose her parents at a young age. How she handled it, however, was her choice. She chose to move on and live her life a happy and smiling girl, as opposed to upset and perpetually depressed. Granted, she made that choice because she had no other choice. Hatsumomo is not the type to sit by and let things play out. She actively chooses to participate. Likewise, we are destined to deal with the Yakuza and "sins sowed by the dead devil's hands"; how we go about that, however, is our choice. Do we deal with it by sitting idly by, doing nothing? Or do we take up arms against the impending evil and actively try to shape our own destiny? You see, Felipe-san, destiny and fate are best described as so: they are forged by our choices. It is through our actions that we determine our fate."

 

"But the prophecy--"

 

"The prophecy is a guide, nothing more. It dictates what happens, but does not tell us how we shall realize that fate. In accordance with the above, the world will rise or fall. That is for certain. It is up to us to begin the countermeasures to ensure it doesn't. Another way to look at it is such: we have the choice whether or not to act or gather the Children of the Zodiac. We have the choice whether or not to retrieve Hatsumomo. Fate, when left alone, is independent of our actions, it will come about either way. However, we can influence it with our actions. How we get to it, how we react to it, that is all the result of our choices. Ultimately, the outcome may be fixed, but the way to get there is not."

 

Haruhiko grunted. "The fate of the world is dependent on our actions, is it?"

 

Takamura nodded. "Or our inaction. Whatever we do, we must do it quickly."

 

Loki came over then, a notepad in hand. "May I take your orders?"

 

Haruhiko waved his hand. "Alcohol over such grim matters? I think not."

 

"Catarratto for me, Loki." Felipe smiled, eyeing Takamura. "Perhaps the same for the lady?"

 

"I prefer red wines to white. Nero d'Avola will do. Grazie mille, gentile signore."

 

Felipe looked impressed. "Señora Takamura, you know your Italiano? I'm impressed."

 

"You pick up skills as you live, Felipe-san. This just happened to be one of them."

 

Felipe chuckled. "How very true. I've picked up a few skills myself."

 

"Oh? And they would be?"

 

"Well, I happened to be rather accomplished at--"

 

"Your drinks are ready," Loki chimed in, interrupting him. Felipe's train of thought burned and crashed as soon as he saw the wine. "Buon appetito."

 

"Grazie," the drinkers responded, before taking sips. Haruhiko eyed them judgmentally, forbidding himself one of his vices.

Loki grinned brilliantly at the Daughter of the Dragon. “Lady Takamura, it really has been quite some time. I’m very glad to see you. Are you glad to see me? And what do you think of my following in your footsteps and running a drinking establishment? Makes me feel nostalgic of the days where I used to live and work with you at your inn. Are you proud of how I turned out?”

 

Takamura’s onyx eyes met Loki’s emerald ones with a fondness as she took in the appearance of the shaggy, raven-haired, slender young man. “A brilliant boy like you? Working at a bar? Bah! What a waste. So much wasted potential.” Loki could tell that she was pulling his leg, though her eyes seemed to avoid his. For a moment, he allowed himself to look hurt, but a second later Takamura laughed.

 

“I suppose I can’t complain �" I’ll be the last pot to call a kettle black. You’ve done well for yourself, Loki-san. You’ve grown from that mischievous little boy I met into a fine, hard-working young man. You’ve got quite the future ahead of you, I’m sure.”

 

Loki laughed charmingly, brushing his bangs out of his eyes. “Of course, and I owe it all to you! Had you not taken me in, I would still be but a beggar on the streets of Sweden, playing folly into the hands of strangers. I genuinely can’t thank you enough for taking a chance on me, a miserable and untrusting little boy, even though I know I was a trouble-maker and a handful. Though I know not my parents, I suppose I’m glad they never had to deal with me. I honestly don’t know how you did it. But you did.” Eyeing the others, he added, “Friends of Lady Takamura are friends of mine. Whatever you order is on the house, my treat. Please don’t hesitate to visit more often, and keep in touch. Enjoy.”

 

With that, and a wink to Felipe, he swept from the table, back to tending the bar. Takamura watched him go fondly, a proud smile playing about on her lips. After a few seconds, Felipe’s eyebrows rose as he put two and two together. “It was him, wasn’t it? He told you where to find me!”

 

“Indeed he did,” Takamura said, turning back to face her booth-mates. “I know you took a shine to the boy when last you saw him, and he promised to keep me informed on your whereabouts should you turn up in Sicily.”

 

Felipe scowled, making a mental note to have a few words with Loki when he could. Haruhiko cleared his throat to get their attention.

 

"Well, what now? Takamura-san is to help Kyo, and she believes him to be one of the Children. I fail to see where Felipe-san and I's names come into this."

 

"You swore the Dragon's Dedication all those years ago to aid me when the time came, putting your life on the line if need be to ensure the prophecy was fulfilled in the best terms as possible. Just as all the other Dragons did with you. You know the consequences should you use your Dragon's Denial on such a matter -- not to mention you know each Dragon only may use the Denial thrice in their lifetime. You have already used all yours, have you not? You know full well, Haruhiko-san, I needn't remind you."

 

"Twice." The old man nodded gruffly, knowing her words to be true. "I've used it twice. I do not intend to use the Dragon's Denial on this matter, seeing as it affects even me -- there may not be a later time with which I can use my Denial, so it seems I have no choice." Haruhiko sighed, removing his glasses and pinching the bridge of his nose and corners of his eyes vigorously. "I'm getting too old for this."

 

"Dragons are for life, Haruhiko-san. You're not old enough until Death himself deems you old enough and comes to claim you."


Felipe coughed. "Well, going back to what Señor Haruhiko was saying, what do we do now? We've established that Kyo is apparently the One promised to deliver the world from ruin. What comes next, in terms of actions? What do we have to do?"

 

Takamura's eyes narrowed, thinking. "The prophecy states that he will go through trials, rising to fame. It's highly unlikely that he will manage such if he doesn't have any skills to demonstrate. Which is why we've got to call upon another old friend."

 

"And what of Hatsumomo?" Felipe inquired. "Should we leave her in the hands of the Yakuza, completely at their mercy, while we go about this quest?"

 

"This quest started off with her kidnapping. Rest assured, we will rescue her. For now, however we must focus on the task at hand. When all is said and done, Hatsumomo will be returned to us alive." She paused for a sip of her wine. "You also make the mistake of assuming Hatsumomo is at their mercy."

 

"What do you mean, Señora Takamura? This is the Yakuza we're talking about, the deadliest gang in all of Asia, and definitely one of the worst gangs to mess with in the world. How is Hatsumomo not at their mercy?"

 

The itako smiled cryptically. "Simply put, debts can be paid in more ways than one."

"Who is this 'old friend' of ours? Another Dragon?" Haruhiko questioned.

 

"No, he is not a Dragon. He is a close friend of the Dragons, however. A guardian, and King of the Beasts."

 

Haruhiko's eyes shone with the dawning of understanding. "Ah, him. The boy, Kyo, will be training with Sifu Lao Shi then, I take it?"

 

Takamura nodded. "Yes. If anyone can get him up to scratch, it's Sifu Lao Shi. He did with the others." She didn't need to elaborate further. They both knew Takamura was referring to her previous wards.

 

They exchanged a glance. "Are you sure, Takamura-san?" Haruhiko whispered, the moment Felipe got up to get another drink. "This wouldn't be the first time you believed that the hour had come upon us. Understandably so, the signs are always very confusing, but are y--"

 

"I'm sure." Takamura's words were sharp, unflinching. She was right, she was so sure of it. She had to be.

 

She couldn't handle it if she was wrong this time. If she was wrong yet again.

Felipe returned laughing, the after effects of sharing a joke with Loki. He slid into the booth, sighing in pleasure, a new drink in his hand. He gazed at his solemn companions, looking between them, before grinning. "Oh, perdóneme. Am I interrupting something here, or...?"

 

Haruhiko spluttered in shocked rage, and Takamura responded with a calm tone. "Yes, in fact, you are. This is a matter of life and death, the fate of the world, all that clichéd "world depends on a few select heroes" garbage, except in real life. I would expect you to know that those who make light of deadly situations usually end up dead themselves, and generally quickly at that."

 

The playful grin dropped slowly from Felipe's face; Takamura sure knew how to ruin a joke, even if she was right. He heaved a sigh, before proposing his question.

 

"So where does this Lao Shi guy live?"

 

"Sifu Lao Shi," Takamura corrected, "lives on one of the Five Sacred Mountains of China. He resides in solitude atop the Eastern Great Mountain in the Shāndōng Province. It is called Tài Shān, the "Tranquil Mountain." It is not easy to get there, and Sifu Lao Shi only sees those whose character he judges worthy of his teachings. Many have tried to seek him out for idle reasons, and many more have died. Even fewer have returned. Sifu Lao Shi is not the most amicable man, but he gets the job done. I suggest," she said, her tone becoming rather sharp, “you respect him with his distinguished title as Sifu, lest you anger him. Sifu Lao Shi is not a man you wish to be angered."

 

"Is he really as impressive as you say? I've heard things about him from here and there during my travels," Felipe intoned, rubbing his jaw in thought. "Sifu Lao Shi is quite the fearsome man from what I've heard."

 

"That is to be expected," Haruhiko stated, glancing at his companion. "The man is a living legend, and his reputation is justified. He is considered among the best masters under which to train. There are less than a handful of his full-fledged protégés, let alone those who are alive, our esteemed colleague Takamura-san being the only female. If Takamura-san is any indication of the level of mastery Sifu Lao Shi can instill in his pupils, then we must make haste in approaching him and requesting his tutelage for Kyo."


"It is settled then," Takamura stated with finality. "We shall head there first thing in the morning. To the Tài Shān, the Land of the Lion, shall we go." She smiled, almost amusedly. "I have not seen Sifu Lao Shi since I was in the prime of my youth. Now he shall see me in my age."



© 2014 Sharmake Abdi Bouraleh


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats



Author

Sharmake Abdi Bouraleh
Sharmake Abdi Bouraleh

Ontario, Canada



About
I'm a writer, but I don't know what to write here. Awks. more..

Writing