Stage 02

Stage 02

A Chapter by kpie

Are you watching our children from where you are?
Have you seen how they’ve grown? How they’ve taken their own paths?


Kaiyo has flourished and become a young woman on me, and Leo? Don’t even get me started on that spoiled brat. He feels he can stand still, eyes facing down at the earth as if you and that woman are going to spring forth like dandelions. He infuriates me … and yet … I understand.


My heart and my belly have cooled since you left me, mo ghra …
I’m to suffer through another cold night of my birth without you here beside me and it aches.


Being in this place, near this bar, is like a dagger in my soul for it is not the same. Nothing is the same, and everything on this planet is empty and quiet. How much longer must I tolerate this?


When will you come steal me away from this hell, again?

 

The day had been one of enjoyment and mirth; many had gathered together and he’d been able to see faces that he had not cast eyes upon in nearly five years. Leon, and Kaiyo he saw frequently but to see Charlotte and Raid with their children was something rare. Even rarer was the appearance of Astra and the twins, for they had taken up refuge in the mountains to carry on Sara’s family long before Zane departed and came to stay here. It had been a day to celebrate, to laugh and to drink … so why?


Why did he sit here under this tree, doing the very thing he chided his son upon?


The night had come and was still in its early moments, stars just beginning to burst forth across the clear sky. The lone moon’s light cast a full, silver, light across the ancient that sat beneath the boughs of the cherry blossom; his eyes were transfixed upon the ground, their golden gaze pained and a thin line of despair pulled his lips taut. Usually he sat above in the tree upon a branch, feet hanging down out of respect for the beloved man he’d buried there. Secretly he also perched within these branches on his visits as if expecting the corpse to rise and walk about when no one was looking. Hoping mostly …


Cael released a sigh, still looking no more than a man in his twenties as he did many years before. Time had not changed anything save for his eyes, for the fountains of gold that once shone with fire and sarcasm had dimmed dramatically. They were coins that had tarnished, the years without his companion and the duties of all the countries he watched over taxing upon more than his patience. He was immortal, incapable of dying save for being killed by another, and the being whom could jump him had simply not been born. Yet in this moment, like many times before he’d thought of something; thought of the talons of his own limb that could easily tear through flesh and bone and still a beating heart.


He knew falling in love with a mortal would be the death of him, but he had never expected it so soon. They were such fragile creatures, fleeing in the vastness of this spinning world. Out of all the beings he could have chosen, a human. Most laughed at him, while the rest pitied him and yet here he sat beneath this tree. The lord of the castle reduced to no more than a beggar, cursing the Gods for their betrayal.


A dry laugh escaped the ancient’s lips and he released a sigh before leaning back against the tree’s trunk and turning his eyes to the stars above. He spoke, and his words were whispers laced with the sounds of a wise Celt, “Would you embrace me or kill me again in the afterlife, I wonder?” He seemed to know the answer for another dry laugh escaped his lips and caused his brow to cloud with confusion, “How long must I endure being unable to touch you? How long must I live for this black heart to finally wither away? I ask you these questions every time I come here, and you have yet to answer me mo ghra …”


“… Papa …”


The voice was female and naught but a hushed plea from behind the tree; it’s calm, royal demeanor was laced with tears. Only once had she heard such sadness in the man’s voice, and it had been on the day the blonde had been placed in the ground. She’d listened from the shadows as her Father cursed the heavens, the planet, and the Goddess with the ferocity of a beast; watched him snarl and scorch the grass with flame before falling to his knees and turning from a Drake into a lost boy. Turn from her proud, harsh, Father into a being she did not recognize and felt intense pity for.


Kaiyo had met her Father, and Vincent, when she was seven and gone to live with them after her Mother was murdered by her Uncle. She had grown up under the wing of a Fire Drake and within the arms of a tender Human and loved them both beyond words. Much like her brother Leon, her heart had been scarred by the death of their other Father by a void still aching and empty to this day. Yet she had been forced to withstand something far worse as a result of the tragedy. She had been forced to watch the man she idolized more than the stars above wither into a pitiful thing, and had to endure seeing he whom she wished most to smile cry… countless times. “Papa …”


Unable to stand the sound of the man a few feet away the young woman, now 22, turned and rounded into the moonlight to stand before him. She was a beautiful girl, eyes large pools of worry and the same golden color as the man’s whom they were boring into.  She was petite, like her mother Yuki had been, and was a perfect mix of the long passed Oriental Princess and a Celtic Gentleman whom she fell to her knees before. Her hair was vast, as black as the night and usually reached her ankles unless pulled into a thick braid as it was now; it was straight with even bangs that cut across her forehead like those of a doll. Her clothing was a stark contrast to her Father’s formal black suit and fitted waistcoat for it was a Yukata of beautiful blue hues with blossoming red chrysanthemums. She was a striking blend of two cultures, which had become a most beloved Princess in her home of Akeno and a most feared Drake.


Cael smiled, a light sparking within his gaze as he tenderly reached out to brush a tear away from his daughter’s cheek. “You were not supposed to be out here eavesdropping.” He sighed at her sharp take-in of breath and felt his heart lurch once more; that’s right. This, and the boy cleaning up the bar a few feet away were why he had not driven those talons into his chest yet. How could he abandon them? Better yet, his husband for whom he pined for desperately would never allow him to hear the end of it. “Oi, end that foolishness now … you know far too well how it pains me to see you cry, child.” His free right hand had lifted to help his left dry the still flowing rivers, brows pinning together out of worry.


Kaiyo sniffed and lifted a hand to clutch her elder’s desperately, “I can’t leave you alone saying such things. What would Vinny say? What would Leo say if he heard you state something such as that?”


Cael chuckled, ignoring the twinge in his heart at the pet name for his late husband. That’s right … Kamille had called him that as well, hadn’t she? My, my … how was Giovanna doing these days? Kaiyo had been small when she’d met Kamille " Raid’s older sister " for the first time; he honestly wondered if she remembered her and the woman’s wife. That was another dear friend he’d lost in all the bloodshed, another grave to visit while he was here in this place. The redhead lifted his daughter’s hand to his lips and placed a soft kiss atop it, “Forgive me.” She seemed to become instantly annoyed and glared pitifully at the man before her, “Will you ever stop using this name against me, Papa?”


“Blame your Mother for she cursed you with it.” Chuckling the fire drake lifted himself, the former being which had been sitting within his spot had vanished completely and been replaced by his usual presence.


As if relieved by this, the 22 year old stood and wiped the last of the water from her eyes, “You shouldn’t sully her memory with jokes you know … she’ll come from the grave and eat us both.” Kaiyo shuddered at the thought, for her late Mother Yuki had been a wordy woman with a lacking sense of humor for sure. Her coming back from the dead just to strike her daughter down seemed in the realm of possibility in all honesty. Cael seemed to sense her unease for he laughed wholeheartedly and pulled her into a small hug, “Have I ever let anyone harm you in the past? I certainly wouldn’t allow even your Mother to do so, little one.”


“You let Vincent whack me all the time though. What gives?”


“You deserved it Leo!” Kaiyo was the one to respond, sticking her tongue out playfully towards the man at the bar’s backdoor. He’d returned her insult with a harsh glare before crossing the distance between them to reach over and snag her head into a headlock, “Oi, what happened to the whining Princess?” His voice was teasing, fist going to work as it ruffled her hair harshly and caused her to wiggle in a mixture of annoyance and laughter. Good, she hadn’t been too upset it seemed. The brunette sighed lightly before yet again allow a mocking tone to escape, “Keep it up and I’ll cut your hair in your sleep.”


Cael watched the two with a tiny, genuine, smile; they teased one another relentlessly but had he not known why she’d been crying Leon would have been ready to beat the sense into anything that dared cause it. That was something he’d taken from Vincent, for the blonde had teased his son nonstop and not once failed to literally knock sense into him. “Enough children. You’ll disturb this sanctuary if you continue.” This it seemed silenced the two into submission, for Kaiyo turned a light shade of red from embarrassment and Leon’s brow furrowed in thought as he released his sibling. His muddied eyes lifted to watch the Drake a moment, as if weighing his words carefully, “I’d rather not lose anyone else.”


Ah, so he’d been listening in as well then? Cael sighed and reached his hands out to ruffle the hair of both of the young adults before him; he knew when he was outnumbered. He knew when he should admit defeat for the time being and retreat to clean his wounds, “Clear your heads. I still require cake.”


Taking the effort as an apology Leo looked over and nudged his sister, “Kai go get the strawberry one.” As if something snapped within her the young woman perked up instantly and released a radiant smile, “Okay, sir! I’ll be back in a flash, big brother!” With a skip in her step she turned on her heel and the serious woman from moments before seemed to have vanished entirely. Leon watched, waiting until she wandered from view before returning his attention to Cael. He thought a moment, scratching at the back of his head tryingly, “Oi old man …”


“It is not yet the year that you can scold me, boy.” The harsh words didn’t match the Drake’s tone, for a saddened look had yet again returned to his wandering eyes. Cael had allowed his gaze to slip back towards the tree, this time eying the grassy spot that Leon slept beside night after night. “Besides you’re far worse than I when it comes to chasing the dead …”


“F*****g hell …” Unable to even deny it Leon followed his elder’s gaze, watching the ground with a look similar to the ancient’s from moments before. It was a dreadfully lonely look, an empty one, void of all emotions outside of misery. As if to make it worse the air outside was crisp tonight and was carrying the low scent of the blossoms that never faded from the tree. No matter the season it grew larger and it’s flowers more beautiful every day " never fading from existence despite snow covering the ground in the winter months. “Did you enchant this when it was planted, geezer?” He’d always wondered yet had never actually asked the question for it seemed in the realm of impossible.


“That tree’s magic is not my doing; it’s been that way since we laid Vincent beneath it.” Cael cooed, watching the blossoms with interest. He wondered … “Still making deals even in the afterlife it seems.” At these words both men laughed, tones hollow with grief; that sounded exactly like something the blonde would do. Something about his words caused the fire beast to ponder, brows drawing together in curiosity; the wheels in his head had begun to turn ever so slightly. “The Goddess … she died, yes?”


Leon lifted a brow, surprised by the question, “You watched her die. She sacrificed herself to seal that b***h and blew up one of the moons.” They all had seen this happen, even Thanatos whom was her Brother; the man whom ruled over the afterlife and the final end for those whom had completed their three Rebirths through the cycle. Wait … “Cael?” He’d just stumbled upon the very thing his Father was most likely overthinking " the very idea that the fire lord was tapping his nails against his chin about.


If the Goddess was dead, then whom had taken her place? In fifteen years he had not thought of this, not once, and he found himself ashamed to admit it. From the look of the man to his right though, not even the great lord had thought of such a trivial thing. Cael’s eye finally wandered to the brunette, a wry smile curling about his lips and dragging renewed life into his veins, “I’ll be leaving earlier than expected. I have something to look into my boy, something intriguing … that requires a very long walk.”


Wait was he going to go to that place? To the edge of the world’s door?


Leon’s shoulders stiffened recalling the place that reflected everything like a glass pool. He had only seen such a miracle once, when they’d passed into the deserts and fallen down into that cavern; when they had been summoned by Thanatos and lead down the path through white trees and into a silver light that was like none he’d seen before. Through that void and to that empty lake that seemed to hang far above the world and held galaxies in its depths. Into the realm of the Goddess Avyanna, where she had slept for many years and watched her creations silently without as much as a hushed word.


“Papa! Leo!” Kaiyo broke in, wiping the mood that had over taken the two away instantly. Leo had been ready to blurt out something, to voice his intentions to go with his remaining parent and had been cut short. Cael looked up to the young woman and smiled politely, “Little one, you’ll be staying with your Brother a while. I have an important affair to attend to of which you are not allow near.”


The cake nearly crashed to the ground, only saved thanks to Leon diving to grab it as he had done many times for members of his family. “Keep it up and I’ll make you pay for it!” He glowered, brown eyes narrowing as he spotted something growing in the small girl. S**t, she certainly did have Cael’s temper …


Kaiyo watched, eyes pools of molten gold as they bore into her Father; he had hit a nerve it seemed, for a roar of rage irrupted from the fledgling Drake like none Leon had heard in years. “You still wish to treat me as a child?!” At her tone Cael’s eyes had gone dark, shoulders thrusting themselves back as if he were ready to lop her head from her shoulders for such insolence. Despite this the young woman continued, advancing a step with a rigid form, “I am not an egg anymore, Papa. I am very capable and in your current state I think you’d be better to have someone watch - !”


“The age where I need saving by a spring chick has not yet been crafted into existence; the worlds have not even thought of such a date for it is so far into the future! Dare you not speak again for I will do more than scold you, Kaiyo!” Cael’s voice was a roll of thunder, eyes transfixed balls of lightning that had slowly taken on a more feline edge. His shoulders had broadened, fangs bursting forth as he spit the words out in a deadly tenor. His Daughter yes, but in all the worlds he still ruled this land; capable of controlling all of the elements or not, she was still young. His daughter had hit a nerve and driven a dagger deep into the male’s pride that was as vast as the sea and just as easily disturbed.


Leon seemed to recognize the shifting man before him and had taken it upon himself to tug at his sister’s arm. She was shaking, be it with rage or fear he knew not … however he knew which it should be. Not even the remaining Gods themselves dared to anger this fire maker, for he was as old as the dirt and the one whom thought humans into existence after his creation. “Kai. Where he’s going is too dangerous for you to follow right now.”


Cael’s eyes seemed to soften a moment, mildly surprised that the male was siding with him on this subject but thankful nonetheless. True the location itself was nothing more than a dot in the space of time, but what the path to it held was a different story. Such things lived in that strange place that should never see the light, and should something else be there he dared his daughter not see it … should what he feared be there … That prison that one must pass through to reach the pools of crystal and silence. The realm of death and imprisonment where vile things were kept after they passed on.


“So Leo can go there, but I’m not allowed?”


“Leon didn’t have a choice in the matter when we ventured into that space. I dared him nor Vincent ever set foot within it and alas my wishes were denied. You, however, will not tread there " not for many centuries long after I’ve passed from this world. Then, and only then, may it be your duty to set foot in such a pit.” Cael sighed, the fight seeming to fade from him as his words emptied; it was not fair and he knew it to be true but cared not.


The ending point was a sanctuary but the woods through which one must past were filled with beings and creatures the suns never were to shine upon either again or at all. It was Thanatos’ realm where he reigned over those who didn’t deserve pity, or the promise of eternity in the stars above. Where he judged those that died as they passed through to be reborn on their way to the pools in question.


“Unbelievable. Both of you!” With a pitiful roar the young woman turned on her heel, all but forgetting the joy she’d found moments before, and stalked off into the cottage that lay on the other side of the courtyard.


“Jeez you leave me not only with a mad woman but one that could bite my head off …” Leo grumbled, brown eyes skipping over to the redhead. He agreed that she didn’t belong in that place, but her staying here and he having to deal with her wrath was a different matter entirely. “Why not send her home?”


“Should something be amiss I would worry if she was not with you.” Cael spoke tenderly, eyeing his son with a warmth only a proud parent could muster. “Other than me, you’re the only one with the strength to protect our little Princess should something happen. I pray you keep her in your sights at all times.”


He seemed to have given the young man some clarity, for the brute rolled his eyes and fell onto his back with a defeated sigh. Chuckling, the ancient slipped over to grab the cake Leon still held tightly; he lifted it to inspect before letting a spark blow from his lips to light the sparklers that had been placed atop it.


Leon waved his hands sarcastically, the only joy that could rise from him currently mocking, “Hooray.” This seemed to provide entertainment for the man above him for he laughed, and in turn caused Leo to chuckle as well. It was strange to laugh genuinely, even if for a moment, in this little memorial park between his home and his work. It was both a relief and a curse, for as soon as the warmth vanished he was left feeling hollow again. “You think something’s going on again, old man?”


Cael watched the sparklers dance atop the pastry he held, old eyes thoughtful, “The world is quiet, as it has been since we pushed that darkness back years ago. It’s an almost unsettling quiet, wouldn’t you agree, Leon?” He, and the boy he spoke with, were both beings of war and conflict; they were used to vast battles and laying to rest with blood covering them. Peace … it was a fleeting thing, and something that was unsettling. In a world of peace where did they belong? “It’s a strange calm with questions that still need answering.”


“Zane is getting worse.” Leon spoke up, eyes locked on the scattered stars that shone brightly in the midnight sky. “He’s having moments more frequently, like I used to be when Vincent first found me.”


Blowing the sparklers out with a sigh Cael sank into a sit beside the brunette, “He linked with her to destabilize her hold on Astra; he was probably bombarded with many terrible things. Such leaves a mark on a man I dare say I could never free him from …you should know that better than any, boy.”


Elaina. That witch still would plague him in her death it seemed. Leon coughed, an unsettling chill running down his spine as he thought of the Demoness’ name. She’d been the cause of it all many years ago: the death, the destruction, the dying planet, the war, the chaos, the pain and anguish of the people. She’d created monsters, crossed the lines of humane, and turned him into this thing that never died. This creature that healed, that regrew organs and body parts alike … this monster of death. She’d turned him into the ultimate weapon that finally brought about her end … that had been his life’s work.


Ripping her head off and shredding her heart until she no longer could taint anything.


That goal … he’d lost so much because of that goal and here he was in the middle of the calmest times the world had seen and still unable to find peace. Still unable to rest. “Could you look into something for me when you go down there? Something for Zane’s sake?” Leon looked over to Cael, eyes almost begging; he didn’t want that boy to suffer such horrible nightmares, such mental torment as he’d endured throughout his life. He couldn’t allow that to happen to Zane, Astra … or their children.


“I don’t know if even that man can cure him … but I will ask.” Cael watched a moment, orbs growing hard as the final words escaped his mouth, “I fancy striking no deals with him, so should it come to that you’re on your own. I dislike owing others anything, especially Death.”


“Should it come to that I’ll go visit the son of a b***h. Not like I have much entertainment these days anyway.” Leo laughed darkly, finally pulling himself up onto his feet and aiming his attention towards the bar. “I need a drink so we can finish celebrating like two old men in there, eh?” He couldn’t stay near that tree right now, he felt his heart being tugged and it was distorting his vision. It never failed that the mere mention of death or sadness a soft wind picked up, threatening to chill him to his bones. It scolded him and caused tears to form in his eyes from its onslaught for it always held a faint smell of honey. It was a soothing smell, and one that begged him to lay in the grass beneath that tree as if she were watching from her grave.


“Whiskey and a fork is all I require.” Cael nodded, following after the brute as if they’d reached a silent agreement. The golden slits watched the boy’s shoulders in front of him, silently taking in the sweet smell in the air. Maybe the magic of that tree had nothing to do with the man buried on the other side after all … maybe she was the one dealing out there. “I’ll watch over him tonight.” The words were a whisper, far too faint for the brunette already opening the bar’s back door to hear yet they seemed to receive an answer.


The wind gave a final gust, causing the branches of the large tree to creak and send a blossom floating towards the redhead before falling silent. Cael chuckled, eyes closing as he entered the warmth of his old abode in contemplation; it was comforting knowing there were eyes watching this place even when he could not.

 



© 2016 kpie


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

165 Views
Added on February 15, 2016
Last Updated on March 10, 2016
Tags: fiction, fantasy, action, adventure, romance, lgbt, novel, book, friendship, family


Author

kpie
kpie

SC



About
Well, now I am grown And these days have shown Rain's a part, of how life goes But it's dark and it's late So I'll hold you and wait 'til your frightened eyes do close ; k . p i e :23 years; .. more..

Writing
Stage 01 Stage 01

A Chapter by kpie


Stage 03 Stage 03

A Chapter by kpie


Stage 04 Stage 04

A Chapter by kpie