Chapter 1: Linda Banks

Chapter 1: Linda Banks

A Chapter by Shoelissa
"

Hey!!! Sorry this is late! But here is chapter one!!!! Let me know what you think!!!!!!

"

Chapter 1

Linda Banks

Lisa and I were walking (although for Lisa it was more graceful than walking and for me it was more of a series of tripping and stumbling) home from school when I saw him, his long legs stepping in tune with the beat of my heart. He high fived some 7th grader and winked at a girl and I caught a quick glace of his dark brown eyes as he flicked his jet black hair out of his face and smiled revealing his somewhat perfect teeth. Colton Keane.

Colton Keane was the most amazing guy in the whole world, or at least in the greater Chicago and northwest Indiana area. Ask any girl and they would tell you that he was just the hottest boy that ever lived, but that’s not why I liked him. That helped of course, I mean he was gorgeous! I liked him because he was himself. He was smart, funny, and really nice. I know that’s what everyone says about guys they like but I’m not lying! He was president of Math Club, he was in honors science, he played guitar, he liked pretty much every band that I did, he wrote beautifully, and most importantly he didn’t care what people thought of any of it! That’s why he was popular.

When we were little, Lisa and I were talking about him and he overheard me saying that I had this super-duper, gigantic, uncontrollable crush on him. If it weren’t for that, Colton wouldn’t even know that I existed! But instead he saw me as a little nine year old girl who had a major crush on him. You see, Colton was a year older than us and he had a girlfriend. Courtney. Courtney Spearmint. That doesn’t even sound like a real name! Anyway, she was the most popular girl in all of Chicago!!!!! I could thank Facebook for that. She knew everyone at every school in our area!

                But, we weren’t nine anymore and this wasn’t the third grade! I was 14 years old; I was smart, athletic, funny, and completely pathetic! So pathetic, in fact, that whenever I saw Colton I freaked out and ran away! I was determined to talk to him, though, and this was my chance! I looked at Lisa whose beautiful, blue eyes were locked on Charlie as her strawberry blond hair flowed in the wind.

“I’m gonna talk to him.”

“Whatever, sure, yeah,” she sighed and waved me off with her pink sparkly nail polish blinking in the sunlight. Whatever! Sure Charlie was the hottest guy in OUR grade but I had my eyes on the freshman walking our way! I didn’t need her help for this anyway, I can talk to Colton all by myself, right?

                WRONG!!!!! I walked right up to him, not paying attention, and I banged by head on the stop sign at the end of the block just as he passed me! Wait it gets better! Lisa, hearing the noise, spun around and clunked heads with…

                …none other than Charlie! He fell on the ground just in time to land in a pile of dog poo left by Charlie’s dog. Charlie, who was picking up the pile, was tripped by Colton, (figures, Charlie and his giant feet!) and landed in the arms of Lisa. Too scared to be touching him, (and also a tad dizzy from the head cluck) Lisa dropped Charlie on the ground. OMG. There was no way this could’ve gone worse.

                Lisa slowly sat down on the bench and then helped Charlie up. Charlie went over to Colton and tried to help get the droppings out of his hair. It was so embarrassing! I ran home as fast as I could and when I was in the comfort of my home the phone rang. I answered, “Hey.”

                “What’s up klutz?” I heard Lisa say from the other end.

                “Ha, Ha,” I said sarcastically. “Are you okay?”

                “Sure. I’m fine!”

                “What happened after I left?” I asked not really wanting to know the answer.

                “Well, Charlie went home to shower because he smelled awful. Oh yeah and I talked to Charlie!”

                “That’s great that my clumsiness is helpful to some people!” I said once again sarcastically. “What did he say?”

                “He said you were clumsy.”

                “Oh not only did I get him to talk to you I was also the conversation starter!”

                “Then,” she said ignoring me, “he asked if I was okay. I was like ‘Yeah I’m fine. What about you?’ and he said ‘I’m okay,’ and then I said…”

                “Lisa!” I yelled interrupting her completely.

                “What?” she said indignantly.

                “What am I going to do?”

                “I don’t know.” I heard the unmistakable beeping of a call waiting.

                “Hey hold on! I have another call!”

                “KK! But I’m not hanging up!”

                “Alright,” I press the incoming call button, “Hello!”

                “Hello this is Linda Banks.”

                “Um…Hello Ms. Banks. What can I do for you? Are you looking for my mom?”

                “Only if your mom’s name is Amelia Shark.”

                “No, that’s me.”

                “Yes that’s what I thought. I work for the CIA. We are experimenting with a new unit of agents. Younger agents.”

                “Um.”

                “We feel that the powers of younger minds, like those of a teenager are more powerful than that of an adult’s because of its familiarity with basic subjects. You see an infant’s mind is underdeveloped and an adults mind might be overdeveloped at times or they just tend to disregard knowledge taught to them when they were younger. For instance; an accountant is not going to remember as much of a 8th grade science lesson as a scientist would because he doesn’t have to. And vice versa. But you as a teenager remember as much about both the math and the science lesson because you have to. Do you understand?”

                “I guess. But what does this have to do with me?”

                “At the CIA we have access to every school’s database and records in America. And of all the students at City Chicago Jr. High you have one of the most impressive records by far.”

                “Me?”

                “Oh of course. You are a straight “A” student, you have a black belt in Ti-Kwon-Do, you received the most outstanding ribbons for Music and Computer eight years in a row, and you’ve done exceedingly well in science and computer since the third  grade.”

                “Well I am a ‘technological genius’ according to our school newspaper.”

                “Exactly! So welcome aboard?”

                “Wait, how do I know you are who you say you are?”

                “I applaud you for asking. I will give you two minutes to hang up with your friend Lisa and then I will prove it.”

                “Okay... Hello?” She hung up.  How she knew about Lisa being on the other line was beyond me. I pressed the incoming call button once again and said, “Lisa?”

                “Yeah, what took you so long?”                

                “Nothing. I have to go.”               

                “Why?”

                “Homework.”   

                “What’s going on? Who was that on the phone?”            

                “My mom, I have to go okay?”

                “Fine, text me later.”    

                “Okay, bye!”

                That was two minutes I wonder what will happen. I glanced at the clock to see that my watch was! I had 30 seconds to go! Maybe that lady was lying. But then again how would she’ve know about all that stuff? I bet it was a prank call from Courtney’s friends. She is so depressing next to Freddy’s happy personality. They were all wrong for each other! I bet it was just a prank call. I bet that it was Courtney. I bet that…

                … “AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!” a hole the size of the rug I was standing on opened up on the floor of my bedroom. I fell so fast that my heart was in my throat. What just happened? I landed in a chair, I very nice chair I might add! It was very comfortable and blue, my favorite color! And…

                “WHOA!” The chair was on some sort of track that I am now whizzing down at like 90 mph! It was going so fast that I didn’t think I could possibly still be under Chicago or even under the US for that matter. I was under Canada or Mexico by now. Yeah.

Then all of a sudden the chair came to a halt and I was in a white room still seated comfortably in my chair. The room had white walls and white tile floors so it kind of looked like a bathroom without a toilet or sink.

A door slid open at the far end of the room and a woman in really tall heals and a black dress stepped out and was greeted by a blue chair, similar to mine, that came from out of the floor. She sat down on the chair and zoomed toward me; her jet black hair was tied back into a pony tail and was swaying in the wind.

                Once she was seated next to me she smiled slightly with her black lips pursed together, looked over the top of her pitch black sunglasses, and said, “Now do you believe me?”

                “No,” I said trying to sound a lot braver than I was. Her smile became more apparent now. It was kind of like she was trying not to laugh at me. I didn’t like it at all. The chairs moved again and then stopped in front of a big silver door.

                “Well, why don’t you step inside?”

‘Why?’ I thought, because stepping inside meant leaving the comfort of my chair, that’s why. But begrudgingly I got up and followed her inside the room. This was not a room! I was just in a room. This was like a warehouse only it wasn’t. It was more like a…

…a lab! Many more women and men all dressed in black dresses or suits walked around computer monitors and screens analyzing and checking things. In the front of the room was one giant monitor made up of a bunch of little monitors. It looked like something out of a movie! It was amazing! As we walked toward the front I saw pictures of kids all about my age pop up on screens along with their summaries, accomplishments, and grades. As we pressed on I realized that I knew most of these kids. Then I realized I knew all these kids. They weren’t researching the kids they were researching me.

I saw friends like Tina and Gina, the twins. They were inseparable and both equally as crazy, in a good way of course. I saw Annie, the smartest girl I know! I’m actually really surprised they picked me instead of her. But I’m sure she doesn’t have a black belt in Ti-Kwon-Do, or know how to pick a lock or hot wire a car. Then I saw Annabelle. She is awesome we were library buddies. If she reads a book she’ll make me read it just so she has someone to talk to about it. I do the same.  A lot of other friends pop up too. I saw Stephanie, Laura, Jane, Mary, and then I saw…Sophie! They were studying my social life as well as my academic life! “OMG!” I shouted unintentionally.

Excuse me?” Who I assume to be Linda said.

“Sorry,” I replied.

“Like I said before, we are looking for young agents. We are putting together a troop in every state. Here in Illinois we have picked Chicago to be the center of this project because it’s the biggest city and cities always have good resources. Your troop is made up of four schools from Chicago and the cities around it. From those four schools eleven kids have been chosen.”

“Um…okay.” We keep walking through the room and, I see that, we are headed toward a door identical to the one we came in from.  My legs are starting to hurt from all this walking and I really wish that I had my chair. When we get to the door Linda scans her hand on some sort of pad and the door opens. We walk in and a woman hands me a piece of paper.

“It’s easier to learn peoples name when they are written down,” she grunts. I take the paper from her and read the names listed.

 

Troop 004

~Kanagle High~

Jeffery Atoms-17

~St. Peters Jr. High~

Alison Tomson-14

Sam Jacobs-14

~Ridgeway Elementary~

Kayley James-13

Lezlee Trick-13

~City Chicago Jr. High~

 

Oh boy, who did I get? Watch it be Jake, Tommy or Luke. They are all loud, obnoxious, jerks!

 

Amelia Shark-13

Annabelle Price-13

Annie Bradson-13

Chris Trommer-12

 

So far so good. Chris is okay. If I didn’t have Freddy I would like Chris, he was cute and extremely nice to me even though everyone says he’s a jerk! I kept reading.

                 

Kaitlyn Rick-13

 

Kate hated when people called her Kaitlyn

 

Jasmine Vanity-12

               

Oh no! I hate Jasmine Vanity! She was one of Sophie’s Facebook acquaintances.

 I wasn’t surprised that Lisa wasn’t here. She isn’t the brightest bulb in the lamp shed (if you know what I mean) but she wasn’t the dullest bulb either, though! If fact I think that she is defiantly getting better grades that Jasmine! Lisa might not be above average but she’s not below, in fact I find her very smart. She is better at things like Social Studies (which I am awful at.)

So this was my team then? I realize that the piece of paper in my hand tells me nothing about any of these people considering I don’t even know who’s who. So I say, “Hey, I’m…”

“We know. You’re Shark,” interrupts a tall boy in the corner of the room with shaggy brown hair and really big hands. He was wearing a stripped polo shirt and khaki pants and really big shoes which I assume hold really big feet.

“Um…yeah.”

“You’re the last one. I’ve met everyone else.”

“Nice deduction!” I said sarcastically, “Who are you?”

The boy with big hands answered, “I’m Jeffery. The only freshman! I was nominated team leader because I’m the oldest.”

“But that can change!” said a tall girl with short brown hair in a little pony tail. She was wearing a hot pink tank top and a really short skirt, which I usually wouldn’t like, but it looks okay on her. Turning to me she says, “Alison, by way. And his leadership is only temporary because they don’t know our skills yet!”

“It’s okay sweetheart!” says a boy with short black hair and glasses putting his arm around, who I now know to be, Alison. He was wearing a polo as well but I believe that he put that on by choice opposed to Jeffery who was wearing a uniform.

“Get off me, Sam!” Alison said clearly annoyed! She was obviously not dating him!

“I’m Kayley, and this is Lezlee. We are best friends,” says a Hispanic girl smiling brightly at a pale-faced blond girl who was texting. Kayley was wearing a really bright yellow tank and white shorts and Lezlee was wearing frayed booty shorts and a white tank top with purple lettering. She was very skinny.

Annabelle ran up to me and hugged me followed by Annie who waved looking sad as she sometimes does for no reason even though she’s always been pretty happy. Jasmine, who is also texting, laughs at something then closes her phone and takes a tube of mascara and a small mirror out of her purse and applies it to her already made-up eyelashes. I see Kate smiling at me then she waves excitedly. In the corner of the room I see Chris sitting quietly on a medal folding chair. His dark hair has recently been cut. I think it looks better long but I don’t mind it short unlike all the girls who are “in love” with him and then suddenly change their minds after he cuts it. I know it will grow back fast like it always does.

The woman who handed me the paper when I walked in was talking to Linda. She turned to us and yelled, “Sit down!” When she did so, another blue chair popped up from the ground and Linda sat down and the chair lowered itself back underground. Everyone ran to find a seat. There were conveniently only eleven chairs in the room. I was still standing and the only chair left was between Chris and Annabelle. Which was okay.

“Hey,” says Chris.

“Hey,” I say repetitively. Chris doesn’t talk much so I left our conversation at that.

“So you’ve all met one another I presume,” the lady said. I couldn’t tell if she was happy or mad or amused or what.

“Ha, Ha, Ha!” Jasmine begins to laugh again while looking at her phone. Then she realizes that we all have sat down and stopped talking. She slides her phone back into her pocket and says, “Sorry,” in a very high squeaky voice. The lady dismisses this. I notice that whenever Jasmine wants something she uses this voice and she usually gets it. She is like the girliest person I have ever met!

“As team leader…” Jeffery starts to say.

“Don’t let it get to your head freshman!” the lady says.

“Ha!” Alison says, while Sam stares at her. Alison noticing that he is staring rolls her eyes. Chris chuckles under his breath and Annabelle mumbles something that I couldn’t quite make out.



© 2012 Shoelissa


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Its really good and funny. My only criticism would be that she gets recruited rather suddenly. I have doubts the CIA would just call u up and say hey u wanna work for us? I would have her be recruited after she saves someone's life and the CIA be like we agreed u were finally ready or something like that. But that's just me. Also how the hell does she know how to pick a lock or Hotwire a car? Just things to think about...
- Swagwriter78

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shoelissa

11 Years Ago

thank you for your review!!! I agree with it being rushed and I thought of doing something more dram.. read more



Reviews

Its really good and funny. My only criticism would be that she gets recruited rather suddenly. I have doubts the CIA would just call u up and say hey u wanna work for us? I would have her be recruited after she saves someone's life and the CIA be like we agreed u were finally ready or something like that. But that's just me. Also how the hell does she know how to pick a lock or Hotwire a car? Just things to think about...
- Swagwriter78

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shoelissa

11 Years Ago

thank you for your review!!! I agree with it being rushed and I thought of doing something more dram.. read more
This is good and funny and entertaining so far!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

429 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 2, 2012
Last Updated on July 2, 2012
Tags: CIA, Young Adult, Spy, Recruited


Author

Shoelissa
Shoelissa

It's a place, where stuff is. I think there are people here too.



About
I am 15! I have a very strong passion for writing obviously. I am an IB freshman! I am also a FANGROHL Nerdfighter, proud Philatic, Directioner, actress, music lover, and drummer! Very excited to sta.. more..

Writing
The... The...

A Poem by Shoelissa


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shoelissa