~ Chapter 1 ~

~ Chapter 1 ~

A Chapter by SnowCat

 The cathedral was very quiet tonight. As she advanced towards the altar, her footsteps echoed through the emptiness of the long forsaken building, filling her skin with goose bumps. It was very cold and Raven’s breath formed little white clouds in the air before disappearing just as sudden as they had come. To an outsider the night might have looked calm, peaceful, but she knew all to well the horrors darkness hid. Thunder boomed in the distance and the lightning guided the girl’s path to her destination. She looked around herself as she advanced, letting her eyes roam over the amazing gothic designs of the cathedral.

 

As time passed, this building was forgotten and now lay abandoned in the far corner of the city. It was why they had chosen this place as a meeting point. It was perfect. Nobody to see their foul deeds, nobody here to hear the battle that was going to take place, nobody here to uncover the secret they so thoroughly kept. Tonight, her fate was going to be decided and she would either live in glory or die trying. This was the place she was supposed to meet Skull, but he was nowhere in sight. Raven was scared, her heart beating faster and faster with each second that slugged by. She almost expected to hear voices singing in harmony with nature’s instruments and things would be just perfect. She had been training for this fight for months but that didn’t ease the tension in her shoulders or the knot in her throat.

 

Outside the rain was pouring from the metallic colored sky, making things even eerier as Raven sat in the darkness of the night and waited for her rival to make his entrance. The moon was half hidden behind the think, rain filled clouds but it was still shining through the cracks in the walls, to make an interesting pattern on the damp floor. Countless battles had taken place between these walls before hers and she knew that the stone angels carved in marble had seen horrific deaths, deplorable failures and bright victories… The only question was what would become of Raven? Will she be able to go back among her folks with her head raised high and her eyes proud? Or was her blood going to spill, seeping through the cracks to fill the reddened earth beneath?

 

Raven was dressed up tonight though the style didn’t stray far form her usual clothing. She wore tight leather black pants with spiked high heel boots and a black fallen angel corset. A sword was tied to her waist and she had two silver knives stuck in each of her boots. As her mind wandered off into lands unknown, Raven unknowingly caressed the hilt of her weapon that was lacked with black leather, just like she liked her swords to be. This one had been a gift from her father.

 

A demon had killed him when Raven was six and that is when she decided she wanted to grow up a Vrykolakas. The term ‘vrykolakas’ derived from ancient Greek and was at first referring only to werewolves but gradually, it started to describe vampires as well. Nowadays it referred to the living vampires who still had a beating heart. It was their job to protect all beings from the demons, also known as Strigoi, that infested this world and spread like poison in a wound. Strigoi is a term that came from Romania and gradually, in time though at first only used on vampires in general, it’s meaning started to get closer and closer to the one of Rakshasa (an Indian bloodsucking demon).

 

It was tradition in the Vrykol culture that children choose their paths at eight years. Raven had chosen to live on the edge of life or death and ever since she had trained to become a fighter, a protector of the world. It was her decisive battle, at 18 years old. She would either survive now, or die trying to become one of the Vrykols.

 

Raven didn’t get the chance to ponder if she had taken the right decision because a dark figure emerged from the shadows, followed closely by two others. The girl jumped to her feet and cursed herself for not observing all the vampires that now surrounded her from every side.

 

“Good evening, Raven. We hope you have come ready, for this will be either your glory, or your doom.” Skull spoke from the edge of the shadows.

 

“Salve Skull. I see you are to afraid of what might happen to leave your little band of followers behind. Anyway, and audience works just fine for me… but are you sure you want them all to watch me kick your a*s?” Raven’s words were a lot stronger than she felt.

 

For a moment time froze and all waited for Skull’s answer. There was no sound, not even the sound of her racing heart…only the rain falling over the sleeping city. A loud laughter spread through the deserted chambers of the cathedral as Skull threw his head back and mocked Raven’s words.

 

“Brave words little vampire, brave words. Let’s see if you live up to your name shall we? Oh, you look shocked my dear. You thought we wouldn’t hear of the so called Night Wing?”

 

In the moment those words left his lips Raven. How did he know of that? Nobody was supposed to know that she was out slaying under that name. It was practically against the law.

 

“ Oh don’t worry little bird. We don’t mind bending the law for Severus’ daughter…the question is….can you fill your dad’s shoes?” Skull continued in a mocking voice.

 

That was the last drop for Raven and  her relief was quickly overtaken by anger and determination.

 

“Bring it suckface!” Raven cried and took out her sword, letting it’s blade shine wickedly in fading moonlight.

 

“Let the fight begin!” a chorus of voices rose up into the hallow night, disturbing it’s peace…

 

Birds took off into the night...



© 2011 SnowCat


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

144 Views
Added on September 9, 2011
Last Updated on September 10, 2011