Chapter Seven: I Dream Of Witch's Curse

Chapter Seven: I Dream Of Witch's Curse

A Chapter by XxKooperxX
"

As Alex slept by the fire his nightmare returns in his dreams of the day his life was swallowed by the curse of the witch.

"

I never knew in all my years I would come across a desolate depressing place such as this. It had been three months since my departure from the little cottage in Webster and already I've made the mistake of choosing a path that only a fool would take. As far as my eyes could see, streatching out for miles into a thick fog that littered the land was nothing but the green, murky swamp moss that filled the shoes of Maybel's hooves. I couldn't tell where it began or where it ended, I felt like I was trapped in a eternal loop running a scene of sickly green and muggy fog over and over till my eye's would burst from maddness. I was sick, hungry, and tired barely having the energy to sit up straight riding Maybel on what felt like she was walking on small, shifting row boats as the swamp ground beneath her moved with every step she took.

 

High above me passed the low fog cloud which seemed to follow me everywhere in that accursed swamp was the sound of dreaded ravens; circling above me waiting for mt body to go limp and die for the chance to gobble the taste of human flesh. The noise of the birds blaneted a shadow of grim dispair over my sanity and logic, causeing me to think of herendous ways to proceed my execution just to put an end to the hellish crows of the ravens. I had giving up on survival, all hopes of escaping that endless swamp was cast away forever and I simply waited for death's grip to clinch hold of my soul. Suddenly the air around me grew icy cold and the fog thickened like how night thickens the sky. From beyond the fog in the nearby distance I could barely make out a light which from what I assumed was coming from a lantern; floating steady towards me like a phantom.

 

As the light drew closer I could hear the ravens above me flap their wings and scatter from the faint footsteps carried out by the orb of light. There was an outline of a human figure breaking through the fog creeping like a cat in the darkness towards me, holding a lantern out in front. My eyes were blured my the light as I tried to make out some detail of the character before me. The figure wore a brown, torn cloak and a hood hiding it's face and walked with crooked cane, the large hump on it's back made it look more beast then man in shadows. I tried shouting out for help to the mysterious being as I made an attempt to dismount from Maybel in my weakened state but I made little noise and I ened up falling hard on my back off Maybel's saddle.

 

It felt as if the entire world was spinning as I piered through my eyes looking up from the swamp floor at the shadowy figure; standing tall over me like a predator to prey. My eyes began to feel heavy trying to reach out to the figure but my body got the best of me and I weathered away to unconiousness, leaving my last sight with the figure reaching out to me as I to it. After the trial of darkness within the far corners of my mind I woke up in a daze to the sound of a soft crackling fire and the feeling of soft bed sheets beneath me. I was no longer in the swamp but rather in the home of my mysterious savior.

 

Barely able to raise my head I scanned the fire lit room carfully. First thing I noticed was my father's armor and sword piled on top of a table next to some scatted books. From wall to wall wooden shelves stocked high with random knick-nacks and colorfull books hugging against the termite infested structure. In the middle of the room was a stone built fire place streatching up past the rotting ceiling. Tending to said fire place was a shriveled old women with long silver hair and a humpped back, stiring fluids in a small cauldron craddled over the waving flames of the fire.

 

"You should continue to rest child." The old women suggested continuing to stir the liquids inside the cauldron, "Your fever hasn't completely broken yet." My arms felt weak struggling to sit up against the soreness of my body and the throbbing hammers in my head. "W-Where am..." I collapsed back down crashing my head on a feathered pillow pantting softly in agonny from lack of strenght. The old women took a large wooden spoon from the cauldron and limps towards my bed side and tilts my head up. "Here drink this. It will help break your fever." She said placing the spoon near my mouth. Without checking to see what the liquid was I opened my mouth to the taste of what could only be discribed as two week old cow's milk which had the texture of honey; a very nasty drink it was.

 

Up close the old women had brown, saggy skin with liver spots blotted all over her face. Her eyes though were deep and mysterious like the stars in the heavens. "Who a-are... you? Where's M-Maybel?" I asked barley speaking. The old women smiled softly holding my hand, "I'm the one who saved you from the fog and as for your horse she's outside by the house eatting hay. But enough details for now. Try and get some rest okay child?" It wasn't in my nature to trust someone I didn't know, let alone sleep in their very home. Although I went against my better judgement and stayed in the home of a stranger, at least till I was completely well again.

 

A few days later the fever which cursed my body had disapated into nothing and I was completely cured. The time I spent lying in that lumpy bed the old women told me a great deal about herself. Her name was Vie and she lived in the middle of the foggy swamp. Reason why she choose to live there was for isolation from the world around her. I could though tell  Vie was hiding something from me, something dark and demonic.

 

Before my departure from Vie's very welcoming arms she invited me to sit at her table and have some ale, I polity refused her gracious request but she insisted that I joined her so I gave in and sat down. Staring down into the thick ale I wondered if the claws of the dreaded swamp would pull me back into insanity and shrouded thoughts. "Vie may I ask you something?" I asked nervously looking up from the wooden mug with contained the ale, "I was wondering... how do you get through the swamp without falling into maddness?" Vie sat down her mug and placed her elbows on the table, resting her head on her clampped hands and stares towards me. "I suppose I should tell you the truth about myself and this swamp." Vie said as I leaned forward intrested in what she has to say, "The fog of this swamp wasn't naturally made. I created it to keep trespassers from disturbing my isolation." "You created it?!" I said shocked, "B-But that means y-you must be a..." "A witch?" Vie interupted with a smile, "Yes Alex... I am a witch."

 

Swiftly I stood up accidently knocking over my seat over in the process surprised and scared to have learned such a terrifying secret. I've heared the stories about Witch's and Warlocks from my parents as a young child; their power hungry monsters who possess abilities only god should control. It's even been said they can live up to a thousand mabey two thousand years, making them a deadly plaque to have on the planet. "W-What are you gonna do to me?!" I shouted with eyes wide with fear. Vie shot out a gentle, caring smile showing no signs of hostility, "Don't worry child I'm not gonna harm you." She points her crooked finger at my mug then to my surprise yet again it suddenly began to hover like a ghost slowly towards me. "Please take the mug and sit back down." Vie suggested still wearing her gentle smile, "There is something I must discuss with you."

 

Hands shaking nervously I grasp hold of the floating mug and picked up the chair and sat down. The eyes of Vie were fixed apon me, her gaze was like thousands of needles poking into my very soul. After a few moments of her staring at me in total silents Vie finally spoke. "Ever since you entered the swamp I've watched you from a far. Your strenght and stamina surviving the fog impressed me. It was like nothing I've ever seen from a mortal especally since you was out there for an entire week." "A week?!" I yelled wide eyed, "B-But that's impossible! I was only out there for at least a few hours!" Vie sat up straight in her chair sipping the ale from her mug, "The fog magic around the swamp can manipulate time around it, turning minutes to hours and hours to days. The fog can also throw people in a loop making them wonder in circles without realizing it untill they sacome to death, leaving their bodies to be swallowed up by the swamp."

 

It was hard to believe the words Vie spilled from her lips but the more I thought about it the more it made sense. "That still doesn't expains why you saved me and took me in." I questined sitting the wooden mug on the table. Holding her humpped back Vie stood up from her seat and grabbed a twisted looking cane leaning against the wall. "I saved you because I sensed a great power hidden within you and in order for me to confirm this I brought you into my home so I could observe you more closely." I stood up shaking my head and laughing in disbelif at how unbelievable that sounded, "Ha ha ha! I'm sorry but I'm nothing special." I chuckled grabbing my father's armor fastening it on, "Anyway thank you for your hospitality but I really must take my leave so if you could be so kind as to tell me how to get out of your swamp fog I would really appreciate it."

 

Vie stood like a statue giving me a grim disappointing stare and said nothing. I wrapped my father's scabbed around me and waited for Vie to answer but not a single word passed her lips. "Fine..." I said frustrated, "I'll just find my own way out. I don't need your damn help." I stompped towards the front dorr leading out into the dreaded swamp but just as I was about to reach for the door knob Vie spoke of something that seemeed to freeze my very soul. "The power within you is more then enough to kill the one who murdered your parents." Stuck in speculation I slowly turned around towards Vie leaving my hand away from the door knob wondering how she knew such a thing about me, "How the hell did you know that?" I said softly in shock. Vie tapped her finger against her head smiling, "When you was ill I decided to read your thought and memories to make sure if you was a threat or not. Now sit back down Alex... there's more I must tell you." With caution I approached the table yet again frightened by Vie's power. I wasn't even sure if I should trust her again or not since she already invaded my personal memories and thoughts.

 

With a flick of the wrist Vie summoned a large book appearing from thin air, slamming hard on the table stiring up dust. The cover was black and had strange writings printed in blood unlike any known language at the time. I observed the mysterious book carfully as it's pages truned on their own franticlly untill it stopped on a page written yet again in blood with the same mysterious writing style. "Ahh here we go." Vie said with glee reading carfuly, "Chapter One Hundred and Fourty Seven: Dis Mortal Chain Link. This should do the trick." I began to feel in the pit of my stomach a sense of regreat watching Vie mummble to herself reading the book following her finger from word to word.

 

"Vie... what kinda book is that?" I asked nervously with slight hesitation. Vie paused from reading and glanced towards me shooting off a smile, "This is the Book of Black Hearts and Red Souls. Written with the blood of mortals over the course of a thousand years my powerful sages. In here lies the key to unlocking your hidden power." Just the name of the book itself sounded evil to me, so evil it sounds like it could send Satan back to the fire's of hell. If she says is true then my hidden power will be the lighting rod for my revenge against the murdering b*****d. I was no longer afraid of what was about to happen to me, I was ready. "Tell me what I should do Vie." I said imbracing the fact about my hidden power, "All in good time child." Vie giggled at how impatiant I was, "But first I must expalin how this will effect you and how drasticlly your life will change because of it."

 

I sat still a little nervous nodding my head towards Vie waiting for what she had to say. Vie closed the large book on the table and looks deeply into my eyes. "In order for this spell to work I need to sever the spiritual chain that connects your two souls." I cocked my head at the notion of me having more then one soul. "Don't you mean 'Soul?' nobody has two souls inside then right?" I asked disbelieving her words, "Every mortal is born with two souls called Ka and Ra souls." Vie explains carfully trying to keep every detail simple, "The Ka souls houses all good and innocent aspects of the mortal while the Ra soul carries all the evil and wicked aspects. They are fixed in perfect harmony thanks to the spiritual chain in balance, keeping the two souls from over powering the other."

 

I tried to picture in my head the Ka and Ra souls trying to make some sense out of this but something just didn't add up. "You said you needed to sever this spiritual chain thing from my souls to unleash my power right?" I asked a little worried about the outcome, "But from what you told me the spiritual chain is keeping my souls in balnce. If you sever the chain wouldn't the souls become chaotic?" Vie got up from the table and places the Book of Black Hearts and Red Souls on top of a cluttered book shelf. "Yes they would become chaotic." Vie said arching over holding her back from placing the book high up on the shelf, "But it will allow you to access both souls awaking your true power. Depending on your souls personallity the physical appearents of your power will vary. But ultimately it's up to you to keep your souls from becoming unbalanced and chaotic by not doing too much of the other, too much good or too much bad things or thoughts." "What will happen if I do too much of either?" I asked unnvervingly.

 

With a limp in her step Vie walks slowly towards my seat placing a hand on my shoulder; staring down through her hood. "Too much of either would release your Ra soul and take over your physical being transforimg you into a tremendously evil being capable of destroying entire cites with just one blow." "Your insain!" I yelled jetting up from my seat, "Why in the hell would you create something like that from me?! I can't believe I was about to let you go through with this!" Vie folds her arms and sighed at my reaction shaking her head. "You don't understand child. This is a gift." "The hell it is!" I shouted, "Sounds more like a damn curse!"

 

The eyes of Vie glowed a strange bright yellow tat seemed to light up the entire house. My limbs went stiff and spread apart as I was lifted off the floor with my body frozen by an invisible force. "WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!!" I shouted petrified as I floaded in midair like a puppet on strings inable to move. Vie's glowing eyes were fixed upon me as she walked sowly towards me with her palm streached outward like a claw. "I've tried being nice about this but not anymore." Vie said with a devious grin placing her palm on my chest, "I'm gonna be straight with you child. We need to use your hidden powers for the upcoming war." "W-What are you taking about?! What war?!" I yelled at her as I struggled to break free from the hold of the black magic but it's grasp was too much. The palm pressed against my chest began to glow the same strange yellow as Vie's eyes and tingled my skin as it did, "The war against those who banned magic. The ones who see Witch's and Warlocks as demons and creatures of evil." Said Vie with a crooked smile.

 

In a bright flash of yellow the glow from Vie's palm surrounded my body, sending intense pains everywhere followed by extreme burning sinsations. I couldn't stop screaming in agonny for my skin felt like it was on fire, I wanted to kill myself just to end the unrelintless pain. "It's time to awakin your power!" the yellow light consumed the entire house blinding me as I felt myself slipping away. "Wake up! Wake up! Wake up!" My eyes sprung open to find Hannah sitting on my chest shaking me like a rag doll, "Wake up you lazy b*****d!" "Hannah stop that! I'm up!" I shouted angerly pushing her off me.

 

It was only a horrible nightmare, the termouls of my past coming back to haunt me in the present. "Why the hell did you shove me?!" Yelled Hannah clinching her fist as she rose back to her feet. I stummbled back up still jumpy from the nightmare and looked around finding myself back in the thicket of the forest, releaved I was no longer apart of that hellish dream. "Hey I asked you a question!" Hannah yelled grinding her teeth pulling me in close by my shirt, "Give me a break I just got up." I said in a daze yawning. Even though she was still pissed Hannah let's go for me and picks up her large bagpack. "Hurry up and get on that horse of yours Alex." Hannah said willing and ready, "If we leave now we can still make it to town before noon." I nod my head softly as I streached my muscles trying to get the drowzy out of my systems.

 

We packed up all our things and made our way to town. The nightmare still lengers in the back of my mind, replaying bits and pieces over and over again. What I didn't understand was why I had it in the first place, why now? Whatever the answer I dread the day it comes about in my life.

 

 



© 2010 XxKooperxX


Author's Note

XxKooperxX
This chapter may not be as good as the other's but i still put my heart into it so you gotta give me that. anyways enjoy ^_^

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

@ScarlettTheDreamer

It was a mistake hat I was gonna get around to fixing but I never acually gotten around to it. thanks for the epic reveiw ^_^

Posted 12 Years Ago


Nice chapter. One little thing though: if the nightmare part comes later in the story, Alex doesn't know about it. Then why does he say in the last line that he dreads the day it comes about instead of wishing it never comes true?
Love the story.

Posted 12 Years Ago


no you were misunderstood. that happenes later on. and for now I'm not so sure if I should put that in the story or not

Posted 13 Years Ago


Good chapter but I'm confused. In the last chapter when Alex went to sleep Hannah and Alex planned to go two seperate ways. What gives with that? But still I liked this chapter. It was epic.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1217 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 3, 2010
Last Updated on December 3, 2010


Author

XxKooperxX
XxKooperxX

Ewing,Kentucky, KY



About
(I don't know how to really discribe myself but I'm gonna try.) My name George Cooper and I'm 22 years of age. I love to write and sing random songs when ever my heart calls out for the pen or the mic.. more..

Writing
Mother Mother

A Poem by XxKooperxX



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..