Real Men

Real Men

A Poem by Susan
"

Just wondering if there are any out there?

"

REAL MEN

 

What is a real man?

Do they even exist?

Are they like the heroes in books, all domineering and saving the heroine? Or you?

Are they like dark ones in books? Or just regular guys?

Is it being real to yourself that defines being real? Being true to what you believe in?

It is a fondness for things violent, evil and ugly? Or is it a fondness for things good, loving and real?

Does a real man wear the color pink without being afraid to? Or even pastel colors? Or does he only wear manly colors?

Does a real man hide his feelings and emotions or does he let them show and shares them?

Do they whistle or look at other women when they are with their loved ones? Or they are doing so for fun or just to make fun or leering?

Do they lie and cheat and then lie about it? Are or they honest and stay true?

Are they open and sharing and giving? Or do they shut down and be stoic about how they feel?

Are they chauvinistic or do they care?

Do they open doors for a lady? Or do they let it slam in their face?

Do they help around the home with bills, chores, kids or do they shun it all and just care about their needs?

Does he spend more time at the gym, flexing his muscles and flirting? Or does he go running with you?

Will he stand up for his rights, beliefs, and values? Or let them be trampled on? Does he let himself be trampled on?

Does he go for check ups with out you hassling him to? Or does he go because he cares about himself and you.

Are they out there? Do they exist?

 

By

Sue Therese Boone

9/24/08

 

© 2008 Susan


Author's Note

Susan
I was reading an article in the New Yorker about real men...

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is an out standing poem, and yes there are real men and they do go in for check ups because they care about themselves and about you. Well done.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I'm here! i'm here! right over here! Great piece. I am enjoying my saturday thanks Susan. Please continue to share with me when you write and post. I am looking for you.

Posted 15 Years Ago


"real men"... I think they include all writen of in your piece? The difficulty if finding one we can live with, respect and sometimes admire in spite of the "little faults" he'll show once in a while. ;~)

Good write!!
Thanks for sharing!!
Sallie Bear

Posted 15 Years Ago



Quite the probing questions...wearing pink--now that's a tough one. ;)

I hope there are a few real ones left, though I suspect perfection is still way, way, out there.

Very nice work....certainly makes a fellow pause and think.

Daniel

Posted 15 Years Ago


The real men do exist they're just hiding under the ones that aren't. Interesting piece of work. Nice idea.

Posted 15 Years Ago


A well written piece of prose. A real man and there are many is not ruled by others expectations of him
Societal pressures as to gender specific roles and codes of dress he totally ignores, He feels as deeply as women do and is not afraid to show his feelings..What do women want from men/ men can't always tell

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 18, 2008

Author

Susan
Susan

Albuquerque, NM



About
What to say about myself. yikes. this is like going on an interview, as they ask you to tell them about yourself. So, here it goes... I am what i am, a work in progress and i have all eternity to d.. more..

Writing
Colorado trip Colorado trip

A Poem by Susan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..