Chapter Three

Chapter Three

A Chapter by Sonya

The gathering had long been over that night, as the Fool laid upon the feather stuffed mattress, the Master Healer blessing his body over and over again. Carner felt it his responsibility, albeit begrudgingly so, to watch over this Mad Man. The dim lighting was eerie against the mask he wore at all times, as the candle's flame flickered, as did the wicked shadows. The Master Healer soon finished his prayers, placing the holy circle to his body once more before leaving, begging pardon so as to tell the news to the King and Queen, the Fool would live. Carner barely heard his words as he stared on into the mask, shifting his weight uneasily on the stool. He knew rather well the purpose of the mask, to hide the face. A Jester even had to wear a mask like that, though much different. For instead of being split in black and white, it was red and blue. Unfortunately, he never came to read the history of how that mask came to be there for life. Oh yes, they had to wear those, day and night. When sleeping, when bathing, and even when eating if they could help it. The urge to slip his fingers under the edge had come greatly as it often did. To swiftly remove it, and see the features that lay behind it. Perhaps there were scars? A woman's face? It was rather hard to tell what sort of person he was. Maybe there was no face at all. Perhaps Jesters and Fools were but a species of their own kind. But he shunned such irrational thoughts, and pushed them behind as he put his eyes to the wound in the man's ribs. Luckily, it hadn't hit his lung, though it would be awhile before the Fool would be back to his wild antics. He'd only be singing and using his wits for now. Not that Carner minded, it was one of the few things he liked, having found some intellect somewhere.

 

 

Now that he thought upon it, he never caught this man's name. He obviously had one, for he remembered the day his father hired him, though he'd not seen his face once, and all had referred to him as Fool. His eyes found their way to the mask again, looking at the little wisps of brown hair atop it that peeked out from beneath the hat. A shame he couldn't even take the hat off, was his last thought before he got up from the stool and retreated back to his quarters. Carner grabbed his furs on the way out. He'd not once stepped inside his room since the assassination attempt, he'd immediately gone to the Fool's bedside. Not even the pleas of his mother pulled him away. Descending the spiral staircase, he made his way from the south tower to the main hall. The dim glow of the sun coming up made him stop for a bit. Was it really the next day? The mosaics seemed to loom over him as he scurried on through, making his way to the north tower of which was his quarters. Night guards were trading shifts with day guards at the moment. He noticed his father stationed more around the area. The female assassin had taken out eighteen archers and just as many guards. Now there was a surplus in the area.

 

 

He held back from yawning, or even rubbing at his eyes to rid them of the tiredness that seemed to sink in bone deep. He just ascended the staircase and pushed the doors open with aching muscles, the gathering day had been far too long. Closing them shut to lock the door, he barely took two steps to fall into the plush of his bed. No one was to disturb him for the rest of this day, not even the stationed guards outside his door, or even a messenger to bring him to breakfast or lunch. Though there was no need for ruining his sleep, his dreams disturbed him enough. Of owl feathers, fire, and blood. Elsewhere in the fortress, two voices went back and forth.

 

 

"I will not have him here under these conditions!"

 

 

"What conditions? This isn't the first time assassins have come after our family! You mean to act as a coward, woman, and we are no cowards. Our lives have always been in danger, it is nearly tradition. This is just nonsense."

 

 

"But it is the first time for MY family!"

 

 

"What do you mean your family?"

 

 

"You know very well what I mean, Gaites! I'm not like you or your summer people! I treasure life and I will do what I can to protect it, especially in the so-"

 

 

"Woman, you're insane, sending him to Lionel will only leave him in the ope-"

 

 

"Not if he goes in disguise as a servant boy, you know very well the Duke will keep that boy secret. We can't just keep him here. With one attempt made, there will be many."

 

 

Aria had been quarreling for hours with her husband, oh how she loved him, but he wasn't called a stubborn king for nothing. Much as he married her for her fierce temper and fiery will, it didn't seem to be well loved now. He was always up for being brash and bold, but this was too far. She understood his life and his ancestry before him were always persecuted. Being descended from such a wealthy and powerful line that could be traced back to the time of the First Conquest, many sought to take the throne. For it was not just the throne to a kingdom, but to that of many. Gaites had assured that he'd always taken their own conquest farther, beyond the great seas even. Though he was always a fair Ruler, not forcing them to assimilate but to only aid and prosper and pay when due. Oh she didn't even know where she was going with this tangent, she missed her homelands. Had she been there, oh he'd bow to her fiery will alright. Gods how Winkurst was lovely, not once was there summer but just a land of ice and wind. Snow was rare but how beautiful the ice was, crystal clear and deadly yet gorgeous with its glimmer and the sound the wind made against the dangling icicles. Like nature's wind-chimes they were. Yet her people were like raging fire with their bright eyes and red hair, like balls of light bouncing and sliding around the ice in their furs and jewels. It was just nothing like the short months of winter here, they were like memoirs, from Winterkurst her love and past. Since she married she came to live in the Summer Lands, and they were just that. So many months of heat and sun and greenery. And right now the heat was the fury that was in Gaites eyes and words to demand his Blood stay home.

 

 

"Gaites, you need to open your ear and listen to me for once. Give me credit where I deserve it now, and don't you even DARE to try and tell me this is a bad thought after all the advice I have given to you as your Queen. I've had enough of it. This is final, Carner is going to the Duke of Lionel to stay in hiding for three months where he will be under the identity of a slave boy. It's to be understood that the Duke knows who he is and treats him at home."

 

 

"Aria this is no-"

 

 

"No, I've had enough. Our son, yes, OUR son, will be safe."

 

 

The two stared defiantly into each others eyes. Ever unblinking as summer green and honey colored eyes clashed. So heated in the argument they had shoved the table between them to the side, standing inches away from each other as they stuck their chests out, huffing in near explosive anger as they kept on stubbornly. And for awhile they had stayed that way, their body heat filling the atmosphere quickly before the two had fallen silent, only then realizing exactly how they were. For a second, Aria wanted to reach up to his great height and smack him red across the cheek. And then she had laughed, and Gaites had laughed with her, wrapping his great arms around her as she wound her small ones around him. "Gods Aria, we still bicker and snap as we did when I courted you at the age of seventeen." She laughed joyously again, saying, "Only then when I was fourteen I wouldn't have been afraid to jab at you between the thighs with my spear." "You always were a feisty little one." And again things were at peace between the King and Queen, the two standing there as though they had all the time in the world to hold on to each other.

 

 

Before too long, the King had let out an exasperated sigh. "If you honestly think it right... We will send him to Lionel." His tone was of submission and gloom, but she held him dearly she did. She held him dearly. "I promise you, he will be safe love. He will be safe."



© 2013 Sonya


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

211 Views
Added on November 23, 2012
Last Updated on June 15, 2013
Tags: boy, girl, kingdom, medieval, fantasy, fool, queen, chaos, blood, war, friends, enemies


Author

Sonya
Sonya

IL



About
I'm crazy, not a lot of people really know me, I have way too big of an imagination, and I love food. I also like to sleep. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Sonya


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Sonya


Chapter Four Chapter Four

A Chapter by Sonya