Chapter Six

Chapter Six

A Chapter by Sonya

Things had been so quiet at the fortress, ever since Carner left to go into hiding and the Fool in a coma so as not to injure himself while still wounded. Aria found herself spending her days back on the training grounds as she used to, despite the cold, watching the young men and the boys fight so as to one day have their own place among their forces. Whether it be a Knight, a Squire, a Guard, an Archer, a Spear man, or even just a common Soldier. Of course there was much more than that, for what of Sailors and Cavalrymen? Each group was almost confined to its own world. While others are used to the open sea and of bawdy singing and flashing cannons, others were used to hiding in the muck, waiting in silence or heaven forbid they may be found and trampled. It amused Aria so, to watch the trainees fight and guess which world they'd soon belong to, or if they'd even become a man of war. Many times instead of wielding the weapons, she's seen them go off to become Masters in making the very thing they once sought to have. Midst the arguing company of a Knight and Sailor, she watched as their apprentices fought. The little knight fought valiantly with his sword, but it was the small sea urchin with his net and dagger who fought so cleverly.

 

 

Such were the names of certain apprentices, Little Knights and Squires, Sea Urchins and Barnacles- it was all a way for the men to try and degrade their apprentices. To make them "tough it out" and fight back. And for the most part it worked. Even in her own homelands, where the women fought side by side with the men. Though their names were less childish and much more... vulgar, yes, Winterkurst was considered so savage due to their language, their bloody traditions, and harsh tempers. As fiery as their hair they were. But here, oh they could be just as vile in word and tradition.

 

 

But war was such a sport for the men it was. She watched as the blond apprentice of the Sailor hack and slash at the little black haired knight, he was a most vicious one he was. It was amusing, for he must have been no older than ten years of age, probably even less. Sailors had a tendency to take in boys of younger ages, mostly due to the fact they were their own sons or b******s. They were more likely to take the life of sailing as tradition more than a life choice.

 

 

A man at sea now on land was a most interesting thing she thought, excusing herself from the still arguing pair. She was retreating to her quarters, so as to work on treaties and ponder on her dreams. As of lately, she dreamed of a sea of tears and blood. Such peculiar visions only came to her after three weeks of Carner's leaving. The Master Healer told her it was a sign of there to be loss and sorrow in times ahead. And such was a frightening thing, for the only one at risk to be lost was her dear son. She simply could not imagine the loss of him. Such a sweet boy was her own, and she loved him as much as any mother should love their child, unconditionally so. But a scary thought was also what the Kingdom would do without an heir. Everything would fall to hell as it was unlikely she'd bear another son. Without a successor to the Great Kingdom, there was no divine ruling. There was no peace, no treaties, no alliances, no food, no work, no sleep, no home, no life. With a rattling sigh of worry, she wondered how Carner was now. It's surely been a week since his arrival to the Lionel manor.

 

 

Perhaps he was in their libraries, reading away in secrecy as he often did here. Maybe he and their little daughter discussed politics, for she was a smart one. Perhaps he and their son often boasted and bragged to each other, as boys were prone to do. All in all, she prayed that he was to be safe. With a signing to a treaty, and being left in the darkness with nothing but a barely lit candle, she almost wished the Fool awake, to entertain her with his acts and witty jokes. Though there certainly wouldn't be joking, not for another month. Slipping out of her daydress, she slipped back in to a smooth white nightgown. Such a garment made the pink of her skin stand out, and made her feel almost as small as a young child... which she already was. With that, she tossed the covers of the bed aside, and crawled under the thick blankets. It had been a long day. Closing her eyes, she laid herself to rest. The soothing creep of slumber coming upon her as she fell into the dream lands again. A pity Gaites wasn't by her side to rest with her, with him by her side instead of off working, she might have avoided the night terrors.

 

 

It'd already been days since the arrival of Carner. She had found later, after two days since her case of fainting which turned to a sort of shock induced coma, that he'd been through quite some trouble. They had apparently run into a pack of wolves, narrowly avoided a band of thieves, and then they were greeted by her unconscious and her brother barely holding back his anger. Anna heard this mostly from his guards whom often wandered the courtyard or those stationed outside his new quarters. They talked rather loud they did. Some didn't talk at all. And one in particular she noted, seemed incapable of talking. But his appearance scared her, with those eyes, he almost seemed a cold blooded killer. She did her best to avoid that one she did. To the Hells, she did her best to avoid every single person that now lived in the manor. Their own servants and tenants hadn't been nearly as active and it was only the guards and Carner who roamed now.



She still hadn't seen the jolly man, the farmer who helped others, and that was still most strange. As of this moment, she had finished a music lesson. Which, like any other, had failed and the Master Musician had simply become too frustrated and even ordered her out of his sight. And did she do so gladly, running through the halls like a sneaky little rat to hide away in the libraries. Ever since she'd been awake, her father and her mother now, had both been hissing in her ear like the venomous snakes they were, to sneak into Carner's bed or woo him in some way or another. It was humiliating really.

 

 

As if she ever could "woo" anyone. She knew what she was. A short, stout little pudgy thing whose brown eyes were too small, and her hair too dry. The thought of her looks made her frown, pulling at the dark blue silks of her too tight dress. The drawback of her mother now joining in on this Romantic War was that her wardrobe changed to the frilliest, ruffle covered things that, as stated, were simply too tight for her. They almost made her feel indecent. Almost.

 

 

Her father's "advice" was enough to make a girl feel indecent. She shuddered at the remembrance of such words, and instead went back on the move through the tall cases of the library. The Lionel Manor was no fortress, no, but it had something not many other lands could boast of. And that was a library that nearly rivaled the Great Kingdom's. With books from lands across the seas and skies, written in foreign tongues and others translated; they had a most impressive collection. They even had scrolls of the Ancients, dating before the First Conquest. Though those were heavily guarded due to their value and had been given to them by the Great Kingdom, Carner's place of heritage and living, due to Lionel's power in secrecy and power of guard. Granted that power has dimmed thanks to her family suddenly put in charge. But of course, no one noticed, and that was the power of such secrecy.

 

 

As she continued to roam the cases, in search for a book to pass her time, she also continued to wonder about why exactly her family had been put in the place of a Duke. There had to be more of a reason other than just because her father aided the King in battle. For many had aided him. Though for what other reason, she could not imagine. For the King and her father had been rather young during that war. Perhaps it was just a young man's decision, and such decisions were often made without thought and only with heart. Perhaps they had befriended each other then, for there is not much else to do in war other than be one with your allies, especially those who promised to fight by your side till death. That was as much as she knew with what her father said to the King. Many stories changed to tell what happened, but they all held that one line. Even he confirmed it.

 

 

Never mind all that though she thought, for she had found a book. A book she's read over and over again to be sure, but how she loved it. It was nothing other than a book that told of several falcons, but it was fascinating to see the detailed images and see how they varied through information. Whether it be in size, speed, color, or anything. Reaching up, she found her stature made her unable to grab the book. She frowned, whoever had the book last was clearly taller than her. It must have been her brother, her family's been thinking of sending him over to the local falconer. Releasing a frustrated sigh, she looked for a ladder, a stool, something. Nothing was in sight. Great, she thought. She had to resort to jumping in this frilly, tight dress. And so she did, it would've been an amusing sight to be sure, to just watch as she huffed and groaned in complaint of having to hold her dress up with one hand and reach with the other as her short legs went to work. But at last, a hero had come her way, which shocked her to see a dark hand reach above her and pull the book down.

 

 

She was almost afraid to grab the book as it was held at her level, but they had gently dropped the book into her grasp. She had stuttered out a thank you, but all she heard was a 'tch', a lighthearted insult of 'stupid girl', and the sound of their presence leaving. But it certainly didn't make her heart beat any softer, or her blush any less maddening. With the book she ran, away from the libraries, and to her room. Speeding past the abandoned storage room the quickest.



© 2013 Sonya


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

184 Views
Added on November 23, 2012
Last Updated on June 15, 2013
Tags: boy, girl, kingdom, medieval, fantasy, fool, queen, chaos, blood, war, friends, enemies


Author

Sonya
Sonya

IL



About
I'm crazy, not a lot of people really know me, I have way too big of an imagination, and I love food. I also like to sleep. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Sonya


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Sonya


Chapter Three Chapter Three

A Chapter by Sonya