Chapter Four

Chapter Four

A Chapter by Sonya

Fire. Castles falling. Men dying. Flags torn. These were the very images that had graced the dreams of Anna. It had been a month and two days since the gathering, and today was a rare day where she had not one book to read or one lesson to do. She knew this because she had been allowed to sleep late into the afternoon. How she loved days like these, where she was not once badgered to do something to appease her parents. But her dreams had troubled her, leaving her in a waking state of tears and shakes. Not once had she left her bed, despite the urging of bodily functions she had yet to rid herself of. So strange and dark the dreams were, of Kings and soldiers alike falling to the likes of a dark shadow. They tempted her into asking for wine 'fore she slept tonight, she didn't want to risk being bombarded by such unholy visions again. The Master Healer often told her wine was a cure for such things, and often wine was a cure for many other things. She half wondered at times if he was but a drunkard. Then again, these lands were famous for their hearty drinks and fine wines, made with the richest of spices and fruits. With that thought, she had risen, seeking to quench her thirst least she feel like there was saw dust in her mouth. And so she did, rising to prepare herself for the remainder of the day, as well as change from her unsightly worn sleeping gown to a more appealing maroon gown with long sleeves and a lacing bodice. Anything to pull her figure in, her mother always said, always picking at her plump sides. Sitting on the edge of a stool to the side of her bed, she brushed her ferocious mane of wild thick hair that was blacker than an iron skillet.

 

 

A week ago, she got word from her father that a new servant would be coming to the home. Though what was strange was that they made preparations in the abandoned storage room, which happened to be by her own, just for this servant boy. Not only that but as of lately her mother and brother would often stop talking when she walked into the same room as them. Apparently, they'd have something to tell her when the boy arrived. She was no stupid girl, shame they didn't realize that, she thought. It was clear that their household was soon to turn more chaotic than before. She wondered how angered and frustrated they would get. As well as how many times they would take it out on her. The thought made her wince as she felt the ghostly pains from the many wounds inflicted upon her before when they became irate. Setting the brush aside, she stood. Exiting the room and walking down the long, narrow hallway. She even passed by the storage room, where servants ran back and forth, carrying item after item to move to the cellar whilst others cleaned the place and moved in new furniture. She saw one of them moving the old chandelier that used to be in the dining hall. Stopping one from their work, she actually found her family were seated to an early dinner. It appeared that soon the boy would be arriving and it was to be understood that he sleep upon arrival after greetings and whatnot. She also heard gossip of how the newcomer must be finding a place directly under her father, otherwise a servant wouldn't be getting such "lavish" quarters. 'Twas either that or he was a eunuch to serve Anna.

 

 

She almost laughed at that one. Almost. She barely had the manor's workers respecting her as it was, it was unlikely she was to have someone serve her strictly. Everyone else had pitied her. And how she despised their pity. It was one thing to be sympathetic and let her cry in their presence, but what good was their pity if they would not dare to step in and help her when she couldn't help herself? Shoving the self-pity aside, for that was even worse, she made her way to the kitchens, requesting a plate of meats and cheeses to be brought to her in the libraries. As an afterthought, she asked for a glass of dark wine to accompany it. With that she was on her way to said libraries. Anna often enjoyed reading, when it was on her own time. Books were relaxing to her. Though to be truthful, she mostly only read about birds in her spare time. Birds absolutely fascinated her, along with the myths and legends accompanying them. Among her favorites were the great horned owl and the white raven. The owl for its significance in the Sea of Owls, being harbingers of luck whether good or bad. The white raven, rare as it was, because it was such a sight among a sea of black ravens. But she was most passionate about falcons. It was one of the things she wished to do one day, falconry, but it was not a lady's sport in Lionel.

 

 

And so she had wasted her day away with book after book, sip after sip of wine, and daydream after daydream of birds. She did not even realize men were running to greet the carriage sighted only a few miles away by a messenger. Or that her family was busy in their rooms, prepping themselves to look their best as they headed out into the main hall where the passenger would be brought. It was only when someone came to note her that she hurriedly readied herself, leaving the now empty plate of food so as to go stand in line with the rest of her relatives. She saw her brother give her a mean side look, how spiteful he was. And for no reason either other than that he learned it from his father. Without any more word, she spied through the glass windows, a shabby little thing for a carriage, it may as well have been a slave cart. Quite peculiar.

 


Stepping from it were many men, strong and lean though hidden in rags and smudged dirt. In the center was a boy, nearly as tall and lean. No other person was around, she noted. Not even the homely farmer that rented from their land. He was always about, laughing with his jolly belly and making talk with the other workers as he aided others. Though a farmer now, he'd been many things before. And the thing he was right now, was gone. It was quiet, and it made her queasy as the great doors opened from the halfhearted push of the great men. And so the boy stepped forth. Seeing the filth and raggedy clothes draped upon his figure was not right, they did not suit his already darkened skin, or his well toned musculature. He seemed rather familiar actually.

 


Standing before them, the boy had reached up, pulling down the hood that hid his glossy black hair. It was then when she stared into his eyes, those honey colored eyes, that she realized exactly what kind of trouble has come. Her heart nearly stopped in an attempt to register what this meant. "Oh Gods be good, it's the Heir." She went into a blind panic, losing balance as she recalled her vivid terrors and exactly what the boy's being here would result for her. "Oh Gods please no, send him away!" The last thing she felt was the grip of her brother's harsh hand, reminding her only of how many times she'd been grabbed before. Memories flashed through her mind in abundance, the last being the forced dance between her and the beautiful boy and the mask of the Fool, and then... it was only darkness.



© 2013 Sonya


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

182 Views
Added on November 23, 2012
Last Updated on June 15, 2013
Tags: boy, girl, kingdom, medieval, fantasy, fool, queen, chaos, blood, war, friends, enemies


Author

Sonya
Sonya

IL



About
I'm crazy, not a lot of people really know me, I have way too big of an imagination, and I love food. I also like to sleep. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Sonya


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Sonya


Chapter Three Chapter Three

A Chapter by Sonya