Chapter 2: A New Student

Chapter 2: A New Student

A Chapter by S. V. Thompson

>I’m so excited!< I texted my best friends, Cassidy O’Brian and Damien Wolfe.

>>Me too! What are you going to do?<< Cassie texted back.

>>I’m invited to your 17th birthday right?<< Damien asked.

>Yes.< I replied.

>Just a small get together of friends and family (your invited as well as Damien)< I told Cassie.

>>Ok.<< Cassie.

>>Great!<< Damien sent.

 

“Aislinn! Time to get up, you’re going to be late!” My mother yelled from downstairs.


 I sighed and looked at the clock; I was going to be on time. I loved my mother to death but sometimes she exaggerated.


“Ok!” I said.


I got out of bed and went to my full length mirror and stared at the woman reflected there. She is tall but curvy; she is not thin but not fat. She also has a riot of pitch black hair going down to her waist. And her eyes - they looked like a calm ocean. This girl was me. She didn’t look any older �" same heart-shaped face, same petite nose, and the same cupids-bow lips. Again I sighed and opened my closet door. I ended up choosing my favorite cut-off jean shorts and a yellow tank-top with the words “Born Wild” sewn across it in black. And finally, I hunted down my flip-flops and glanced outside, good �" I thought it was going to be sunny. I grabbed my bag and thought to myself �" I’m going to make changes today big and small.

 

~~~~~

 

        Ugh, Monday’s �" I hate them. Tomorrow was my birthday and this weekend was my party. As I was getting into my old blue 2005 jeep, My black Irish Collie, Canna, came running and jumped on me.


I fell into my car laughing and said, “Canna, I’m coming back.”

 

~~~~~

 

As I pulled up to Stone Creek High, I saw my soon-to-be-ex boyfriend Aedan O’Neill’s car. I pulled into a parking spot the farthest away from him as I could get, which just happened to be next to the front office. I turned around and grabbed my bag and books then stepped outside. As I was walking to the front doors, I saw Cassie and Damien waiting for me.


“What’s up guys?” I asked.


“Nothing, you excited about tomorrow?” Damien asked.


Cassie just mumbled, she was not a morning person.


“Yes.” I said with a smile.


He was dressed in Acid-wash jeans and a white shirt. He was one of my best friends and was currently going out with no one. Damien was tall (about 5’ 10”, not tall to me), blonde, and gorgeous �" according to Cassie, she has always wanted to go out with him but no guts to ask him out. Anyway I never saw him as more than a protective brother. He has high, strong cheekbones and dirty-blonde hair; he also has chocolate brown eyes that are always kind. Cassie had on a pink frilly shirt, jean skirt, and tan sandals on. She is shorter than my 5’ 7”, about 5’ 3” I would say. She has a short bob of golden Shirley Temple ringlets and breathtaking forest green eyes. I was dreading my encounter with Aedan.


 I guess my expression showed my displeasure because Cassie asked “What?”


I looked at her and Damien and said, “I’m breaking up with Aedan at lunch.”


“Why?” She asked concerned. “Did he hurt you?!” She demanded.


“No!” I said surprised.


“It’s because he’s always trying to get me to,” I started to whisper, my eyes looking for potential eavesdroppers, “have sex with him. Plus he’s into drugs and drinking.” I told her before she could make any more assumptions.


“I’ll kill him.” Damien stated fiercely.


“I’ll join you.” Cassie said with a determined look on her face.


“No, you guys have to let me handle this.” I told them.


They shared a glance then Cassie looked at my face and reluctantly said, “Ok.”


Damien still looked pissed, “Damien please, you can beat him up if he gives me an issue.” I said.


“Alright fine, but I’m holding you to that promise.”  He replied.


The first period bell rand and I gave them both hugs and said, “Thanks guys, I’ll see you in art!”


Then I rushed to AP English. I got to my seat and stared blankly out the window at the blue tulips there and waited for Mr. Carroll to start roll call.


But when the bell rang instead of the usual name calling he said, “Good morning class, today we have two new students, their names are Irial Winters,” he waved his hand over to the boy with hair so black it looked blue, “and Seth Doyle.” He then waved his hand over to the violet-eyed boy.


Mr. Carroll then motioned for the boys to find a seat. Unfortunately there were exactly two seats open, one next to me and one next to Antoinette (or as I like to call her, Barbie, because she is so fake and superficial). The dark one �" Irial I reminded myself �" was walking towards me and as he passed Cassie’s desk she turned and mouthed “He’s so hot!” I couldn’t blame her really, he was hot. His body was every male models dream �" tall and muscular. He had on a black shirt, black leather jacket, ripped up dark blue jeans, and biker boots. His hair was just tousled enough to look sexy. As I thought this, I unintentionally blushed (I’m an easy blusher), so by the time he got to his desk I was bright pink.


Mr. Carroll was droning on about Wuthering Heights (which I already read) when I heard a deep slightly musical voice say “Excuse me.”


It was Irial, he was saying something to me but I couldn’t hear him because his eyes were so distracting �" they were the color gray, right before a storm hits. He was looking at me quizzically.


“I’m sorry?” I asked dumbly.


“I was asking if you could show me around school.” He said.


His voice sent tingles down my spine; it had a slight lilt to it, just enough to make it mysterious �" I couldn’t place it but it sounded familiar.


“Um, sure.” I said.


Great, I sounded like a complete idiot, I scolded myself.


“I’m sorry.” He said all of the sudden, startling me from my inner monologue.


“We haven’t been properly introduced, I’m Irial Winters and you are?” he asked.


“Aislinn Callahan, but you can call me Ash.” I told him.


“Do you mind if I look at your schedule?” I asked him, being polite.


“You must look at it if you’re showing me around, correct?” he teased with a smile.


Now I know I was bright red.


He looked at me and said, “Not at all.” Seriously, sensing my discomfort.


I had four classes with him.


“Is something the matter?” He asked.


“We better start working before Mr. Carroll catches us.” I told him.


He stared at me for a second, knowing I was avoiding the question then said, “Indeed.”


I breathed out a silent sigh of relief because he didn’t pursue his question and got to work.

 

~~~~~

 

        She was more beautiful then I imagined. Her hair was long and stunning; it was as black as a raven’s feather, I vaguely wondered if it was as soft. She also had piercing eyes the color of a turbulent sea. She has a wonderfully silvery voice. She was going to be my Faery Queen, therefore she must know me. I am taking a vow now that she will know (and possibly love) me before she became Queen.

 

~~~~~

 

        The rest of the class passed easily enough. Irial did his work and said nothing. The only problem was that the silence was slightly uncomfortable. When the bell rang I rushed to the door only to remember my promise to Irial. I had to wait, it seemed like forever, for him to gather his things and meet me at the door.


“What do you like to do in your free time?” he asked me.


“Um, I like to read mysteries and paint nature scenes.” I said.


“What’s your favorite color?” he asked.


“Green, just regular, pure green. Why are you asking me all of these questions?” I asked.


“I’m trying to learn more about you. My favorite color is black and I like to explore things.” He told me.


“Really? Where do you like to explore?” I asked curiously.


“In Stone Creek Forest, Mo Ghrá (silent ‘h’).” He answered.


“What does ‘Mo Ghrá’ mean?” I asked him.


He just looked at me, smiled, and said, “Maybe I’ll tell you some day, Aislinn.”


“I said to call me Ash!” I yelled at his retreating back.


He just laughed and continued walking.


A thick tan arm curled around my waist and a rough voice said, “Are you the chauffeur of pretty-boy now?”


It was Aedan. Great, I so did not want to deal with this now.


“It’s nothing Aedan, now let me go. I have to get to class.” I told him.


I tried to wiggle out of his hold, but he didn’t get to be star quarterback for nothing.


“Aedan! Seriously, let me go!” I said.


“I’ll let you go when I feel like it, doll.” He said with a sinister chuckle.


“The lady said to unhand her.” I heard a very familiar and strangely cool voice say.

 

~~~~~

 

        “I said to call me Ash!” Aislinn yelled behind me.


I chuckled to myself; she was so full of fire. As I was walking towards French, my stomach began to turn in knots. I staggered, the fear I was feeling was immense. But it was not my own.


 Then I started to hear a conversation, “chauffeur…pretty-boy….now.”


 It was Aislinn! I thought with surprise. She was communicating telepathically with me! It sounded like she was in trouble; I turned around and ran back towards her. There was a brown-haired giant with his beefy arm wrapped around her delicate waist.


 I caught the tail end of what he was saying, “…let go when I feel like it, doll.”  


How dare this Neanderthal treat my future Queen like this!


“The lady said to unhand her.” I said coolly.


The brown-haired giant turned around with Aislinn and said, “Mind your own effing business, pretty-boy!”


So, I was the pretty-boy.


“Is your vocabulary so limited that you must resort to colorful words?”  I asked sarcastically.

 

~~~~~

 

Oh. My. God. He did not just say what I think he said, right? I thought to myself.


“Why you little…” Aedan began.


He let me go and started towards Irial when we all heard, “What are you students doing out of class?”


It was Mrs. Geary the AP Stats teacher. I had an idea; I looked at Irial and hoped he went with my story.


“I wasn’t feeling well Mrs. Geary and Irial was walking me to the nurse.” I told her.


Technically, I wasn’t lying; I did feel sick to my stomach.


“Is this true Mr. Winters?” She asked Irial (everyone knew who he was because he arrived so late in the year).


I mentally implored Irial to go with it.

 

~~~~~

 

        “Please, please go with it Irial.” Aislinn said mentally.


“Tá, tá sé.” I said in Gaelic. I looked at the teacher and said, “My apologies, sometimes I speak in my native language. I said, ‘Yes, it is.’”


“That’s quite alright.” She said. “Now you run up to the nurse’s office, I’ll take care of Mr. O’Neill.”

 

~~~~~

        I looked back at Aedan, he looked mad enough to murder someone. He had a savage look in his black eyes that promised revenge.


I looked up at Irial (yes he’s taller than me, about 6’ 4”) and said very seriously, “Thank you.”


He knew immediately that I wasn’t talking about walking me to the nurse’s.


“You are very welcome, Mo Ghrá.” He said.


Then he did a most curious thing, he grabbed my right hand, bowed over it, and then kissed it. The whole time his misty gaze held me captive as he took in my reaction. I didn’t displease him; I blushed to the roots of my hair.


He straightened out and said, “I’ll see you at lunch, yes?”


I just nodded, I couldn’t catch my breath. I quickly turned around and dashed into the nurse’s office.

~~~~~

 

        For about an hour I mulled over why Irial would kiss my hand. His lips felt full and soft and light as a feather. That one kiss sent tingles down my spine and unleashed butterflies in my stomach. And he didn’t even kiss my lips! Which made me wonder that if he did what would it feel like? No. I have to stop right here. No more thinking about Irial and his gorgeous lips.

 

~~~~~

 

        I smiled to myself as I listened in on Aislinn’s thoughts. So she thought my lips were gorgeous? Excellent, it seemed like my plan of seducing her was beginning to work. I can’t wait to see her at lunch.

 

~~~~~

 

        Thinking like this the minutes ticked by slowly but eventually the lunch bell rang. I grabbed my bag and walked over towards our (Damien, Cassie, and my) tree and waited for everyone. I was lost in my thoughts when Aedan’s shadow came upon me. I looked up and took a deep breath.


“What is it Aedan?” I asked bluntly.


“So how was your trip to the nurse’s office?” He sneered.


I saw Damien and Cassie out of the corner of my eye.


“Aedan,” I said, “I think we need to break up.”


Whatever he thought I was going to say was clearly not that. I saw hurt flash in his eyes.


His face crumpled then hardened as he said, “My thoughts exactly.”


Then he just walked away. In my head I knew we were not a good couple but it still hurt to see him walk away like nothing happened. I wrapped my arms around myself and leaned against the tree waiting for Cassie to come and pepper me with questions. What I didn’t expect was a pair of masculine arms to hug me. I knew it was Irial by the creaking sound of leather. I let him hug me for a few seconds then pushed him away.


As I looked up into his smoky eyes he said, “I’m sorry but I couldn’t help but overhear you and Aedan.”


When he said Aedan’s name his eyes flashed quicksilver. He hugged me again and this time I didn’t push him away, I needed the comfort. He smelled like fresh rain and a green mossy forest combined. I loved it. I heard Cassie and Damien’s footsteps and broke away from Irial. I looked up and saw his sly smile disappear.


I ran to Cassie and said, “We need to talk now. We’ll be right back Damien!”


When we were about 10 �" 15 feet away I turned to Cassie and told her everything that happened after English.

 

~~~~~

 

        “Are you her protector?” I asked the sandy haired man next to me.


“Shhhh!” he said urgently and looked around. “She doesn’t even know she’s a Fae.”


“When is she coming into her powers?” I demanded.


“Tomorrow, she turns 17.” He said. “I’m Damien Wolfe by the way.”


I stared at him determining if he was trustworthy.

I decided he was and said, “I am just Irial, fae do not have two names.”


He looked shocked to hear my name, “Not Prince Irial…?”


“The one and only.” I answered.


“Where is your protector?” He asked.


“Around.” I said mysteriously. “Get me invited to that party. She’s going to need my help and I’m the only Fae powerful enough.”  I ordered.


“Um, yes Prince Irial.” He said uncertainly.


“Just Irial if you don’t mind.” I said as I flashed a smile.


“If you wouldn’t mind telling me Prin- I mean Irial, why was Ash hugging you?” he asked.


“I’m sure she’ll tell you.” I said then walked away.

 

~~~~~

 

        “He really kissed your hand!” Cassie exclaimed.


“Yes.” I told her for the millionth time rolling my eyes.


“I can’t believe it!” She told me.


“I know.” I said. “What do I do?” I asked.


“Hmm, just go with it.” She advised.


She was not a great relationship advice giver. The last 3 periods of the day went by fast with no incidents with Aedan or Irial. I was at home now in my warm, comfortable bed thinking about Irial. My last waking thought was, what if Irial hurt me like Aedan?

 



© 2013 S. V. Thompson


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Simply marvelous! This rather reminds my of the Faerie Path series, by Frewin Jones. You've done a lovely job with this story, so far.

The only thing that really caught my attention was the comma issue, again.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Your world of creative writing takes your readers to different part of the world, that is form of magic and your spell:) simply amazing

Posted 10 Years Ago


S. V. Thompson

10 Years Ago

Thank you, That's my goal. I want you teleported to another world with new rules and magik
A. Amos

10 Years Ago

You're most welcome

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

210 Views
2 Reviews
Added on March 28, 2013
Last Updated on March 28, 2013


Author

S. V. Thompson
S. V. Thompson

CA



About
I love to read and write, and I would like to get reviews from everyone on my books! more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by S. V. Thompson