Chapter 3: Unforgettable News

Chapter 3: Unforgettable News

A Chapter by S. V. Thompson

“I think I’m going to invite Irial tonight.” I told Cassie while getting dressed.


“Really? When?” She asked through my cell phone.


“I’m thinking at lunch. Distract Damien for me?” I asked her.


“Are you kidding me?! How am I supposed to do that?” She panicked.


“I don’t know, think of something.” I said.


“Ok…” She said uncertainly.


“I have to go. I’ll see you at school.” I said in a way of goodbye.


“Ok, bye!” She replied.

 

~~~~~

 

        As I was parking my car, I started to get really nervous. What if I asked him over and he said no? I can only describe the feeling " as cliché as it is " as butterflies in my stomach. I just got out of a bad relationship with Aedan and now I wanted to start one with Irial. Was that bad of me? Was I a…, all these thoughts raced through my head when Cassie suddenly interrupted them.


“Hey Ash, ready for an exciting day?” She asked.


“Um, hey Cassie, and not really. I’m kind of nervous.” I told her.


When the bell rang I thought I heard her whisper, “You and me both.”


“What was that?” I asked.


“Nothing.” She said quickly and rushed to class.


That was weird. I walked into the classroom and headed towards my desk when suddenly a high-heeled stiletto appeared in front of me with a single-minded intent to trip me. I stopped just in time and glared at the person attached to the leg " it just happened to be Antoinette.


She smiled at me sweetly and said, “Watch where you’re walking.”


Her plastic friends laughed.


“Watch where you stick your chicken legs.” I responded hotly.


After that comment her friends shut up. When I sat down I saw Irial walk in. No, he didn’t he strided in with his long legs. When he came down our row Antoinette tried to stop him but he just skirted her. He came to a stop in front of me.


 I thought he was going to sit down so I began to get my notebook out when I heard his melodic voice say, “Hello.”


I quickly stopped searching in my bag and glanced up. I was immediately caught in his hazy gaze.


“Hi.” I heard myself murmur.


“You look beautiful today.” He said as he captured an errant curl.


I blushed and ducked my head, “Thank you.” I said embarrassed.


Mr. Carroll then called the class to order and Irial released my curl and sat down. As Mr. Carroll was droning on about something I looked down to see what I was wearing. I just grabbed whatever I touched first. Apparently I grabbed my blue-green stripped sundress, it had a bow that ties around the waist and on the skirt it had thick ruffles. Again I picked open toe shoes " wedges. I just braided my thick waist length hair but some curls must have escaped.


I caught the tail end of what Mr. Carroll was saying, “…will be working in partners today. So go find one,” he emphasized, “partner.”


I looked at Cassie then Irial and back, silently asking her if she was cool with me choosing Irial as a partner. She nodded and turned to find a partner. I flicked my eyes towards Irial prepared to ask him if he wanted to be partners but he was already facing me.


“Would you like to be partners?” He asked.


“Sure, but what are we doing?” I asked embarrassed.


He shook his head and smiled, “We are reading the next two chapters of Wuthering Heights.” He told me.


“Alright.” I said and began reading.


When it was his turn to read I couldn’t focus on the story. I could listen to his smooth, sexy voice all day. He looked at me with a knowing look, almost as if he could hear my thoughts. I blushed slightly and began reading.

 

~~~~~

 

        “You look beautiful today.” I told Aislinn truthfully as I swept one of her curls away from her face.


Her hair clung to my hand like it didn’t want to let go. It felt silky soft " like a feather.


Her cheeks turned a pretty rosy pink and she murmured, “Thank you.”


I heard the old teacher lecture and before I knew it I was Aislinn’s partner for reading. She read the first time. Her voice was as smooth as water and as sultry as any Siren’s voice.


When I began reading I caught portions of her thoughts, “…smooth, sexy voice…” I looked at her. “..can hear my thoughts.”


I wonder what that meant. I decided to test my theory. I sent my thought out to her…

 

~~~~~

 

“I like your voice too.” I heard as clear as the sun on my skin in the vicinity of my right ear.


I quickly looked to my right and saw no one next to me.


“To me, your voice sounds like a sultry Siren.” I heard again.


But this time it was towards my left. I looked to my left and saw no one. I realized the voice was coming from inside my head. I wonder if I could respond?


“Yes, you can.” I heard.


“Who is this?” I asked tentatively in my mind.


“Hmm, I don’t believe I’ll say at this time, my apologies.” The voice said with a chuckle.


The voice became silent. To whom did the voice belong to? It sounded male and slightly familiar. Mr. Carroll called the class to order, now was my chance to talk to Irial.


“Irial,” I said, “Can you meet me at the tree at lunch?”


“I would be delighted to.” He answered.


The bell rang and I headed towards my second period.

 

~~~~~

 

        When the lunch bell ran I looked meaningfully at Cassie. She nodded and grabbed Damien’s arm and turned the opposite way. I was almost to the tree when I saw him. He was leaning against the tree with his arms crossed and face upturned towards the warmth of the sun. He had taken off his leather jacket and his white shirt was taunt on his chest. He was wearing dark blue jeans and of course his biker boots. He lifted his arm to tousle his already tousled midnight black hair so I had the pleasure of seeing the muscles in his chest dance. And his face! The sun hit it perfectly, accenting all the planes and slopes of it. His face would make even Michelangelo’s David jealous. He has a strong square jaw and high cheekbones, long thick eyelashes surround his dazzling gray eyes, he has an average sized nose I would guess, but it looks roman. He blinked open his stormy eyes and saw me coming towards him. A smile flicked across his face and was gone so fast, I thought I imagined it. I never noticed before but he has dimples!


I got to the tree and said, “Hi.”


“Hello.” He responded.


“Why do you talk like that?” I asked curiously.


“What do you mean?” He asked with a puzzled look on his face.


“Like you’re from the 1800s.” I told him.


His face smoothed out as he said, “I was raised old fashioned.”


“I asked you to meet me here because I wanted to invite you to my 17th Birthday tonight. It’s a small party now just family and friends. So did you? Want to come I mean?” I said nervously.


I finally shut myself up to give him time to answer.

“I would be delighted.” He said as he flashed his dimples at me. “What time?”


“Around 5 or 6.” I said, grateful that I asked my mom beforehand.


“I’ll see you at 5 or 6.” He said.


Then her lifted his hand to my cheek and lightly traced it down to my jawbone. He smiled slightly and walked away. I cupped the cheek he touched and wondered why my skin was tingly where he touched it.

 

~~~~~

 

        I was smiling while walking away from Aislinn when Seth appeared.


“Ok, I’ve laid low for a couple of days, did she invite you?” he asked.


There was no need for formality between us. Ever sense I was younger he has always been my protector.


“Yes, so you can stop ‘laying low’ as you say.” I told him.


“I hope she’s worth going through all of this trouble.” He said seriously.


“She is.” I said confidently but equally as serious.


“I’ll see you after school.” I said in a way of goodbye.


“Right, see you.” He said.

 

~~~~~

 

        Before I knew it Cassie was running towards me in a complete panic.


When she got to me she said, “OhmygodIkissedDamien!”


“Cassie,” I said, calm down and talk slower.”


She took a deep breath and repeated herself, “I kissed Damien.”


“Really? What did he do?!” I asked.


She blushed a deep red and said in a small voice, “He kissed me back then said, ‘I’ve been wanting to do that forever.’ I kind of freaked and said that I had to go. What do I do?”


I smiled and said, “Just go with it, don’t panic.”


“If you say so…” she said.

 

~~~~~

 

        When I was walking to fourth period I saw Marissa (one of Antoinette’s Barbie clique) all over Aedan.


As I was walking by them Marissa said in her snobbish voice, “Thanks for finally releasing him!”


“I never held him captive.” I said in a scathing voice.


Her friends snickered anyway. That really pissed me off but the worst thing was that as soon as Aedan and I broke up he went to another girl like I meant nothing to him. The last few periods passed normally, I avoided Aedan as much as possible. The last bell rang and everyone rushed out to their rides, as I approached my car I saw the damage. Someone had keyed the car all the way around and popped all the tires even the spare! I dialed Triple A immediately. Triple A was towing my car home (because my dad likes to fix up cars in his free time) when I heard the deep rumble of a motorcycle. I turned towards the sound and saw Irial on said motorcycle.


He said, “Need a ride?”


“That’s a little cliché, but yes I do.” I said with a smile.


He smiled back at me and said, “Then hop on.”


I got settled on behind him.


He took his helmet off and handed it to me and simply said, “For safety.” Then he took off his leather jacket and said, “For warmth.”


I put on his helmet and his jacket then wrapped my arms around his waist.


“Ready?” he asked over the roar of his bike.


“Yes.” I said.


I tightened my hold on him and tucked my head between his shoulders. He smelled great I remembered thinking then we kicked off. It was exhilarating, the speed was tremendous. It truly makes you feel alive " the wind whipping through your hair, seeing cars and trees zoom by and feeling the bike growl beneath you. It was wonderful! I felt so free! Before I knew it we were at my house. I didn’t even remember giving him my house address.


“I have a present for you.” He said interrupting my train of thought.


“Really? Thank you!” I said enthusiastically.


I thought furiously, wondering what he got for me.

“It’s been passed down in my family for centuries and I want you to have it.” He said.


“Oh no, I couldn’t. It’s your family heirloom.” I said immediately.


“It’s rude to reject a gift.” He said matter of factly.


“But I-“ I started.


“Just accept it gratefully.” He told me.


I crossed my arms and said, “Fine, what is it?”


“It’s a necklace.” He said.


He reached down into his pants pocket and pulled out a gold chain. At the end of the chain was what looked like a Celtic Trinity Knot minus the circle. It was gold as well, but it looked ancient and it was beautiful. It kind of looked like three leaves connected together at one end. But the leaves were just twists.


I loved it immediately and I said so, “I love it Irial! It’s so beautiful.”


He just gave me a pleased smile and handed it to me.


I shook my head, turned around, moved my hair and said, “Put it on me.”


I heard the clinking sound of metal then felt a heavy weight on my chest. I looked down, saw the medallion and felt a blush as light as butterfly wings on the back of my neck. Then the chain relaxed and the medallion nestled between my breasts. It was warm.


I turned around and asked, “How does it look?”


“Like it belongs to you.” He said with a secret smile.


At that moment my dad came outside and asked in his deep voice, “What’s going on out here?”


“Someone trashed my car,” I said, “and Irial gave me a ride home.”


“Who destroyed your car?!” he asked in an angry voice.


“I don’t know but I had Triple A tow it to your garage.” I told him.


“Ok, I’ll fix it up but don’t tell your mother it will only upset her.” He ordered.


I went up to him, gave him a hug and said, “Thanks, Daddy, but how will I get to school?”


Irial spoke up for the first time in front of my dad, “I can take her.”


My dad stared hard at him then said, “You keep her safe or I will hold you responsible.”


“Yes, sir.” Irial said.


Little did I know that Irial would take that very seriously.

 

~~~~~

 

        While waiting for everyone to show up I introduced Irial to my mom and she freaked out. As soon as I said his name she paled and ordered me to leave the room. But I was curious, so I eavesdropped on them.


“…what are you doing here?” Mom asked in a shaky voice.


“It is time.” I heard Irial say.


“How did you find us?” She asked.


“Through my Trackers.” He said.


Trackers? What were Trackers?


“Then HE can find us! We must tell Ash today.” She said sadly. “I was hoping we could wait one more year.” She said softly.


I slowly pushed the heavy wooden door open and looked inside. My mother had tears streaming down her face. My dad was behind her with his arms wrapped around her. I didn’t even know he was in the room!


“I am truly sorry Darcey but she must know the truth before Cian finds her.” Irial said.


Trackers, truth, Cian finds her. All those words circled around in my mind. I slowly began walking away and of course I stepped on Canna’s squeaky bird. Irial’s head whipped around and our eyes locked. Then I turned and ran like the Devil himself was after me.


“Aislinn, stop!” I heard Irial yell but I was already outside.


I dashed away stupid tears and ran towards my favorite spot " the meadow. Why would m parents lie like that? And who was Irial really? And who was this Cian? I collapsed to my knees shaking uncontrollably with my silent sobs. I felt so betrayed. Who was I?

 

~~~~~

 

        I eventually calmed down and I just lay in the tall grass. I felt numb. Distantly I heard Canna barking and heard my parents calling for me but I didn’t respond. Didn’t they know I wanted to be left alone? It was sunset and I watched the sun’s ray’s dance across the sky in reds and oranges. I lifted my arm into the air and felt the light wind kiss my fingertips. I vaguely knew Cassie and Damien would be here soon " and grandmother too. I sighed and sat up. I’d better go home before they did something drastic. I stood up and began walking home when I was nearly blinded by a glint in the grass. It was Irial’s " my " necklace, it must have broken off. I picked it up, it looked fine. I latched it around my neck and headed home with renewed strength.

 

~~~~~

 

        I was almost to the door when my mother dashed out of the house and nearly smothered me.

“I was so worried! Don’t ever do that again, especially now.” She said in a rush.


“Sure, but I need to know the truth now.” I said calmly.


“I know, and I’m sorry for lying. I’ll tell you everything when Cassidy and Damien leave.” She said.


“Alright. I’m going outside to change.” I told her and proceeded to go up to my room.


Out of the corner of my eye I saw Irial leaning against a wall. He didn’t say anything, just watched me. He looked different, more regal " like royalty.

 

~~~~~

 

        I choose a pair of dark blue ripped jeans and a shirt that said, ‘Sarcasm: Because beating someone in the face with a shovel is illegal.’ It was one of my favorites and it sort of suited my mood now. Going downstairs it was awkwardly silent. I sat on our window seat and waited for Grandmother Eveleen and my friends to show up. I knew Irial was standing behind me by the smell of fresh rain. He slid his fingers between mine and held my hand tightly.


Then I heard in my mind, “Everything will be alright.”


I quickly look at him and asked out loud, “It was you?”


He just smiled then walked away.

 

~~~~~

 

        A few minutes after my encounter with Irial, everyone arrived. It was like every other birthday. We had dinner then cake " it was chocolate (my favorite) " and of course they embarrassed me by singing ‘Happy Birthday.’ And finally opening presents. Cassie got me jewelry, Damien " a new art set, Grandmother Eveleen " perfume, and my parents got me books and clothes. Damien and Cassie were sort of cool towards each other. I hoped they would fix this soon. Eventually it came time for Damien and Cassie to leave. I gave hugs to them both and they said, “Happy Birthday” one last time then left. When I came back inside the house everyone was sitting.


My mom said, “I have one more gift for you. It would have been given to you on your 18th birthday but under the circumstances,” she threw a frosty glare in Irial’s direction, “I’ll give it to you now.”


She then handed me an old leather-bound book.


“What’s this.” My dad asked.


My mom whispered something in his ear and from the look on his face " he was not happy.


“I think you should read it by yourself for now and if you have any questions feel free to ask.” She told me.


“Alright.” I said uncertainly.


I gripped the book and went to my favorite reading spot " the porch swing. I curled up in the corner of the swing and opened the book. It was a diary! I thought with surprise. It was my mother’s diary.

 

~~~~~

 

        After I finished reading, I just kind of sat there absorbing everything I read. I heard the front door open and moments later Irial sat down next to me.


“So now you know.” He said.


“Yes. You knew all along.” I asked.


“Yes.” He said softly.


“How am I supposed to learn how to control my Magik?” I asked him.


While he was preparing his answer I got up and leaned over our railing.


“That’s where I come in.” he said from right behind me.


I turned around and looked up at his face. He was so close that when I breathed my chest brushed his. He caged me in with his arms and leaned closer.


“I’m to help you with them. We’ll start tomorrow.” He said so softly I had to strain to hear him.


I saw his intent in his smoky eyes before he leaned in and touched his lips to mine. His lips were soft but hard at the same time. I reached up and wrapped my arms around his neck and he wrapped his arms around my waist. I felt his tongue swipe across my lips. I opened my mouth to his sensual assault. His tongue slipped inside mine and tangled with my tongue. I felt shivers go up and down my spine. I tightened my arms around his neck. We slowly broke apart, both of us panting slightly. He leaned his forehead against mine and stared into my eyes.


He gave me one last sweet kiss and said, “Until tomorrow, Mo Ghrá.”


“Bye.” I whispered.


I touched my lips still shocked by the kiss. They felt swollen and thoroughly kissed. I blushed as I thought that. I just had my first French kiss! And I liked it! I never felt this way before, all tingly. I was falling for him I realized. I shakily walked to the front door and prepared to be questions about my disheveled state…

 



© 2013 S. V. Thompson


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Yet another lovely chapter. I'm quite hooked, my dear!

"When the lunch bell ran..." I believe you want "rang," rather than "ran."
"Why would m parents..." You forgot the "y" in "my."
"I choose a pair..." I think you want "chose" rather than "choose."
"I quickly look at him..." You have "look" here, rather than "looked."

Posted 10 Years Ago


Another chill out read and wonderful episode you are extremely talented my friend, love the way you are carrying your tale and it's such an interesting read...

Posted 10 Years Ago


S. V. Thompson

10 Years Ago

Thank you!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

208 Views
2 Reviews
Added on March 28, 2013
Last Updated on October 1, 2013


Author

S. V. Thompson
S. V. Thompson

CA



About
I love to read and write, and I would like to get reviews from everyone on my books! more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by S. V. Thompson