Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by SteveCourtright

My Dear Edgar,

Thank you for your thoughtful inquiry.  Forgive me - not to be glib, but there is good news and bad news.  While the welts have faded considerably and my energy seems to be somewhat restored, last night my aunt's condition has deteriorated even more.  In fact, the doctor, who stubbornly stops by each evening, has wondered aloud how is it that she is still among the living.  Frankly, it's astounding how resilient she is.  No food or water has passed her lips for three days.  And here is the most amazing thing:  several times last night she stopped breathing for minutes at a time.  Naturally this alarmed the housekeeper, who is not used to seeing the inexorable march of the natural process.  Each time this happened, the housekeeper rushed to rouse me from my bed.  I am powerless to help.  Yet each time my aunt regains, on her own, the ability to continue living.

I have decided to give the housekeeper tomorrow off.  Perhaps that way she won't have to witness my aunt's eminent passing.  It seems to be the most humane thing.  I shall insist.

When you hear from me next, I shall certainly have news of her passing.

Very truly yours,
Reginald



© 2013 SteveCourtright


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

121 Views
Added on September 11, 2013
Last Updated on September 11, 2013