1.A city where dreams come true..

1.A city where dreams come true..

A Chapter by Swathi Praveen

          It was one bright weekend in the month of July. The city being a State Capital was bustling with people everywhere. Chennai!The city almost welcomed everyone around the state.The hottest city in south India where survival gets really tough by the month of may. 

        Central railway station,  where trains arrived from every place of the state was busy that Sunday evening. Kovai Express arrived at platform number 6 and people were rushing out of it. That sad Monday morning feel was almost evident in every face whose happy weekends were rushing out.

With everyone hurrying out of their compartments, there was a teenage girl who was struggling to get her luggage out.A Tall thin girl in her mid 18’s with a super man T shirt and blue cargo pants. She looked so adorable with her straight long hair. No make ups, no hair do’s yet she looked so bright with a dimple that would make any guy go crazy. Her Accessories where more dude like and she seemed to be far away from being called a girly girl. When she managed to get down from the train, she was encountered by a porter wearing his bright red shirt, with vibudhi on his forehead .He offered to carry her luggage. He left her luggage in an auto outside and accepted the change she offered with a grin. She was looking at the city with an awe that people have, when they step in for the first time. The auto driver interrupted her gaze and asked her where she needed to go.

Adayar, she said without any emotion in her voice. She was a freshman to the City Arts And Science College . The next day was going to be her first day as a fresher. That didn’t seem to make her any nervous. She pulled out her I Phone and started calling her mom.

“Ma,I reached chennai” she said.

“was there any difficulty in your journey Diya?”

A soft voice spoke from other end.

“No ma, everything was fine”and she added up “Is dad and Grandparents still mad at me for leaving?”

Her mother just paused for a while and finally after a heavy breathing she said “yeah kid, but eventually they will be okay with it. You don’t have to worry anything about it. You keep focusing on your career and education”


“okay mom. Still am worried about dad not talking to me. I understand he doesn’t want me to go anywhere other than our home town. But i want to be independent mom . I’m 18 already. Look at people abroad,they get independent about their lives. Its only in India where we depend on our parents for everything till we graduate. Especially native south Indian girls are expected to depend on parents till 21; Marry a stranger that their parents select for them; Depend on that guy for the rest of the lives. I don’t want to live such a life mom”

“Even when i was at your age i had this feeling Diya. But i didn’t have the courage to pursue. Our society is more bonded by affection, so was I to my parents. That’s why I brought you up in a different way. I’m proud of you my girl. The society has changed already. Girls aren’t dependent anymore. Its just going to take some time for your appa* and grandparents to understand. You know how conservative they are? “

She hung up saying “yeah mom. Ma, i’m about to reach my college campus. I ll get back to you after I arrange my things up”

When she reached the campus ,it was getting dark. She pulled her bags out of the auto, paid the driver with few bucks and walked inside.

She walked with a spark in her eyes. Will her spark get the right ignition? Like as to everything time knows the answers.



© 2015 Swathi Praveen


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

That is a good start to a story. Well-written, A few suggestions:

1. Please reduce the font size before you publish, smaller font (readable) are soothing to eyes of the reader.

2. There are a few sentences that could have been written together in one sentence or ignored even. That would make the story brief and more intriguing.

While you write it's good to you leave something for the reader to interpret instead of spoon-feeding them each line.

"...She was a freshman to the City Arts And Science College . The next day was going to be her first day as a fresher..." - the second line could have been ignored. When you say she's a freshman in the first line, that is enough to let the reader's know how to visualize the girl and even more when you are narrating a conversation of a girl in a new city.

I would like to read more of yours, in fact a lot. Keep going.

- Dipanjan

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Swathi Praveen

8 Years Ago

Tnz for your time :D I ll try to rectify :D



Reviews

That is a good start to a story. Well-written, A few suggestions:

1. Please reduce the font size before you publish, smaller font (readable) are soothing to eyes of the reader.

2. There are a few sentences that could have been written together in one sentence or ignored even. That would make the story brief and more intriguing.

While you write it's good to you leave something for the reader to interpret instead of spoon-feeding them each line.

"...She was a freshman to the City Arts And Science College . The next day was going to be her first day as a fresher..." - the second line could have been ignored. When you say she's a freshman in the first line, that is enough to let the reader's know how to visualize the girl and even more when you are narrating a conversation of a girl in a new city.

I would like to read more of yours, in fact a lot. Keep going.

- Dipanjan

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Swathi Praveen

8 Years Ago

Tnz for your time :D I ll try to rectify :D
Hey I loved it. You really drew me into the story and showed me the scene with your excellent descriptions. I am looking forward to more!

There were a few spelling errors. Lmk if you'd like me to point them out. :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Swathi Praveen

8 Years Ago

yeah let me know :D feel free to point out :D
several thousand

8 Years Ago

I'll read over it again after i've slept. But I think you meant to use the word "career" :)
Swathi Praveen

8 Years Ago

oh yeah :D ll change :D tnz :D

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

191 Views
2 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 6, 2015
Last Updated on August 9, 2015


Author

Swathi Praveen
Swathi Praveen

coimbatore , Tamilnadu , India



About
Swathi|22|South Indian| Bookaholic| Debut fictional writer | Historical blogger | Highly vibrant | passionate|Traveler|determined | optimist more..

Writing
3.Bro-hood 3.Bro-hood

A Chapter by Swathi Praveen