Part 1

Part 1

A Chapter by Swetha

PART 1

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

                        New York, 2014                   

                               

It was a Valentines day again.  People were busy buying gifts for their loved ones.  Sipping her coffee Sara looked outside the window.  It was another normal day for her.

 

Sara, a beautiful girl in her late 20s with brown eyes, fair complexion, 5.6 tall and medium built.  Sara had come to New York 8 years back from a small city Mangalore leaving behind her parents and her younger brother to have a career in photography.  She is now a successful photographer.

 

New York, a city where many people want to be, a city where many people find their dreams come true.  But for Sara it was only a place to escape from all those memories which she had left behind.  A mail she got last night from a friend for a student reunion has now forced her to think has she really left behind those memories.

 

"Hey, are u home?" asked Sandy from other side of the phone. 

"Yes, just having my coffee, what's up?".

"Hey its Valentines day, come on. I know I don't have Mr special right now but who knows u may find one on this day. Anyways I will drop at your place say around 11.30.  Is it fine?"

"Ya sure, I will be home.  Come over."

 

 

 

 

Sandy, basically Sandya from New Delhi who became Sandy in New YorkSandy is in her early 30s who came 12 years back to make it big in fashion industry.

 

She is an average looking girl with black eyes, medium built and fair complexion.  She knew that if she stays in New Delhi her parents would get her married and her dreams would be shattered.  Breaking all ties with them with help of a friend after many struggles she is now in New York.  Still not very successful but she has made her own identity and is happy to lead an independent life.

 

Sara and Sandy had met in one pub where Sara was partying with her friends and Sandy with hers.  But later Sandy was left alone when all her friends went with their respective partners.  Sandy had too much of drinks and was not even able to walk.  Sara who was not at all interested in the party and was forcefully brought by her friends was watching Sandy.  When Sandy was about to fall, she took Sandy to her place leaving the party which she was happy to do.  After that day both are good friends.

 

Both are poles apart in their lifestyles.  Sandy is a party animal, love to hangout with friends, super interested in making new friends.  But Sara loves to be alone away from all the crowd.  She loves listening to a light music.  Sara is happy with few friends she has and not at all interested in making new friends.  Inspite of these many differences also both Sandy and Sara somehow find comfort with each other.  It is like opposite poles attract.

 

 

"Hey Sandy, come in. I guess you are early".

"Yeah I know, hey those are nice flowers and chocolates as well, yum.  Now don't tell its from Vishu".

"Yes they are. Got it this morning. He is never gonna listen I guess.  I don't know how to make him understand."

"Poor guy. You both are in same field, have been friends since past 5 yrs and I guess he proposed you some 2 yrs back.  Even after your rejection he still sends you all these.  So sweet of him.  Why don't you just accept his proposal."

"Sandy you know I can't.  I know he is a nice guy but I don't have any such feelings for him.  I keep telling him this but he says some day I might change my mind and he is ready to wait."

"Come on just spend more time with him, I am sure you might feel special about him.  You just don't want to know him.  I know there is something deep inside your heart which you don't want to share but you have to move on dear.  If I were in your place I would have accepted him long back.  God he is so dashing."

"Ha ha ya I know you would have but Sandy its just......., leave it you will never understand.  Lets not talk about it now.  So what are your plans for the day?"

"Hmm how about we go to some movie.  I know you don't like late night parties.  So this will be the best option.  And hey first lunch and then movie.  Its on me, lets go celebrate Valentines day in our own way.  Howz that".

"Do I have any option.  If its your plan then I have to abide, hahaha."

 

 

Vishu, Vishwas from Bombay who came to New York 10 years back to fulfil his passion of photography.  He is in his early 30s, handsome, 5.9 tall, greenish eyes, perfect body and a dashing hunk, any girl could be mad for.  He has achieved his passion, well settled in New York with a beautiful house and now runs his own company. 

 

He and Sara used to work for a same company few years back where they had become best buddies.  Vishwas had started liking Sara the day they met and gradually started to love her.  After 5 years of friendship he finally made up his mind and proposed Sara.  But Sara turned down very politely but without giving any reason.  

 

Vishwas had made up his mind that no matter what until he finds a reason for Sara's rejection he will not let go of her.  After all he loves her so dearly and deeply without any conditions or expectations.  He believes his love for her might someday lead Sara to change her decision.  He is fully committed to her.

 

"Hey Bro, whats up? Going for a movie, wanna join?" asked Aman from other side of the phone.

"No man you carry on, have some work".

"Come on, I guess rejection from Sara this time as well."

"Lets not talk about it now, but I seriously have some appointments today, will see you at the club later at night".

"Ok Bro, will catch you at club then.  Hope will find some chicks there, tc bye."

 

 

Aman, a guy from Pune and a good friend of Vishwas.  Aman is into IT who came to New York 5 years back to complete his project of 2 years.  But New York life style has made him stay back.  He is a good looking guy in his early 30s with medium built and 5.8 tall.

 

He is a fun loving and practical guy who does not understand the concept of love.  According to him "you have to settle with some girl one day, why not have fun till then".  He has had many girl friends but nothing serious though".  He is well settled in New York now.  His parents are looking for a beautiful and well educated girl.  Aman is happy to have arranged marriage.  He is still not able to understand why Vishwas is so crazy for Sara.

 

Sara, Sandy, Vishwas and Aman all four are good friends who have made it in New York.  They hang out together, go on trips, party together.  All have their own prospectives in life.  One to escape something and one to make it big.  One waiting for someone and one to enjoy life to the fullest.  Four individuals with their respective dreams.

 

But this story is about Sara and her commitment towards someone.  A girl who has a beautiful but painful past.  A girl who was not the way she is today.  A girl who always loved the crowd, enjoyed parties and doing crazy things.  A very practical girl with no time for emotional attachments.  But something changed her life forever which even after these many years, is just not able to overcome it.

 

"Sara, I am really not sure which movie to go.  Do you have any suggestions", asked Sandy standing at the movie hall with lot of confusion.

"Sandy, it was your plan.  I thought you had a movie in your mind".

"Well I just said so that I could get you out from your home".

"Sandy........., lets do one thing then.  We will have lunch first.  Then will think what to do next".

"That's a good idea, and anyhow I am starving.  Lets have our lunch".

 

They went to near by restaurant to have food. 

 

"Wow the menu makes me hungry, lets start with a soup, wat say"?, asked Sandy.

"Ok, I will have chicken and corn soup".

"Hmm I will have the same, lets share it".

"Cool.  Lets order then".

"Its my treat Sara, so enjoy to fullest dear".

"Yeah I will empty your purse, hehehe".

 

Sandy could make any moment memorable one by all her talks which would never end.  This was the main reason Sara loved her company even though they were quite different from each other. 

 

They had their lunch.  When they were about to leave they met Aman who had also come for lunch with his friends.  They were seeing him after a long time.  They all had hardly went out somewhere in a long time.

 

 

"Hey Sara, hey Sandy, nice to see you both here.  Long time no see", said Aman.

"Hi Aman, ya its been a long time we met.  How are you doing"? asked Sandy.

"I m good, so what's the plan for the day"?

"Well we had thought we will go for a movie but now we are not sure which one to go.  How about you? Doing anything special"?

"Not really, hey why don't we go for clubbing tonight.  Any how its been a long time we all went out.  What say".

"Thats a good idea, isn't it Sara".

 

"Well I m really not interested Sandy", said Sara with her same old "not for me" type of face.

"Come on Sara, why do you have to be so boring everytime.  It will be so much fun", said Sandy.

"Yes Sara, don't be a spoilt sport.  We promise we will not pull your leg with Vishu.  Come on, he said he will be free tonight.  It will be a nice outing".

"But...........", before Sara could complete

"Its decided, we are going to clubbing tonight and you my dear Sara, you have to join us as I m not giving you any option", said Sandy.

"Hmm ok then as you command bossy", chuckled Sara.

 

It was very hard for Sara to convince Sandy.  She would never listen when it came to partying.  She was a party animal and now when there was chance of all of them going together, how could have she let go of it and that too on this beautiful Valentine's day which was one of her favourite day.

 

 

"Ok now when its final, I will inform Vishu also", said Aman and dialled his number.

"Hey Vishu, Aman here man.  Can you give your 5 mins now"?

"Yeah Aman, what's it"? asked Vishwas from the other side.

"I met Sara and Sandy at one of the restaurant and right now I m with them".

"Ok and......"

"Since its been a long time we all had been together, we have decided to go for clubbing tonight and you are also joining".

"All in the sense Sara also"?

"Yep man, and I hope you will come for sure now".

 

Vishwas inspite of Sara's rejection still used to feel something new when he was with her.  So how could have he denied for this clubbing.

 

"Ok no problem, which club"?

"Well our same old one man, I will pick you up at 7 tonight from your place".

"Ok not a problem.  How will the girls come"?

"After you we will pick them on our way".

"Sure, cool", and they hung up.

"Ok girls, he is coming.  We will pick you from whose place"?

"Sara's, I will be at her place today.  So you can pick us from her's.  Ok Sara".

"Cool", said Sara.

"Ok then  be ready by 7.30 tonight.  We will be there".

 

 

So they all decided for clubbing.  Sara though not fully comfortable could not deny, afterall they were hanging out after a long time.  She couldn't help the fact about Vishwas's love for her but she has to learn to cope up with that as she cannot avoid her friends every time.  Moreover it has now been 2 years for his proposal.  There was nothing to feel awkward now and they are mature enough to handle the situation.

 

"Hey Vishu, you are ready on time.  What's the matter"?, asked laughing Aman.

"I m always on time, shall we get going now.  We have to pick up the girls as well".

"You are very eager, is it only because we are meeting after a long time or ..........."

"Now come on Aman, grow up.  Its been 2 yrs now.  And more over its not that we don't talk.  We talk regularly and we have also met a couple of times".

"Well I didn't say anything, I was just asking man".

"Ya ya I know all your thoughts.  Now get going".

 

They drove from Vishwas's place and stopped near Sara's place where the girls were waiting.

 

"Hey boys, you are on time.  Not bad huh", said Sandy.

"Well all thanks to Vishu who was on time", chuckled Aman.

"Hi Vishu, hey Aman", greeted Sara as well.

"So lets go for our clubbing, finally after a long time", said Aman.

"Yeeeeeeeeeeeeee", they all yelled together while their car drove off.

 

They were having full bash at the pub.

"Yeeeeeeeeeee I m on top of the world, hoo hooooooooo", Sandy was already high with just few drinks.

"You are so drunk already lady", said Aman.

"Oh come on I have just started Aman".

"Hey Sara, come on get a drink dear", said Sandy.

"If all of us get drunk, who is gonna drive then"? asked Sara who was least interested in drinks.

"Don't worry, I will not have today.  You guys enjoy", said Vishwas.

"No Vishu, I m not so bothered to drink.  You go and get a drink", said Sara.

"Its ok Sara, I can have anytime.  But you rarely come out for these parties, so you should have and I promise I will drop you home safely.  Trust me".

"Oh Vishu, you are such a sweetheart man.  Now come on Sara, no excuses.  Just get drunk baby", said Sandy who was not gonna spare Sara now.

"Ok ok, I will".

 

They started dancing, drinking like a fish and were having a total blast.  Sara first hesitated first but after two or three drinks, there was no stopping for her.  She was full on now.  She lost all her senses.  She was dancing like anything.  Sandy, Aman and Vishwas all were shocked and surprised to see Sara like this.  Vishwas was seeing a totally different person in her.  He was glad to see this side of hers and wished if she could be like this all the time as Sara always used to be reserved.  She never really shared anything.  She could talk for hours but some things she always kept to herself.

 

"Yu huuuuuuuuuu, I m so happy today.  Just feeling awesome.  We should have these parties frequently............", said Sandy who was fully high now after they came out of the pub.

"You are right Sandy my friend.  When was the last time we did something crazy............", said Sara who was not at all in her senses now.

"I don't believe you are saying this Sara.  You didn't like parties sweetheart....." said confused Aman on Sara's words.

"You all have really not known meeeeeee", saying this Sara was about to fall when Vishwas held her.

"Ok now, you all have had enough.  Shall we move now"?, asked Vishwas.

"Oh come one Vishu, party has just begun and you are talking of ending it.  Not fair", said Sara.

"Hooo hooo Sara, too good.  Yes Vishu lets stay on man, and more over Sara very rarely says such things", said Aman.

"Ya I don't want to end this........", said Sandy.

"Its already 3am and the pub has kicked us out.  What are we supposed to do now"?, asked Vishwas.

"Don't know may be just hang around or play a game but lets stay", said Sara.

"Hmmm what game you wanna play my dear"?, asked Sandy.

"Rapid round, you ask questions and whatever comes to your mind first, you have to answer it.  Howz that"? asked Sara.

"Sounds good, but first lets find a place for us to play this".

 

 

They thought for a while when Vishwas suggested, "Lets do one thing.  Since Sara's home is close by, we all will go to her place.  There we can have this game, what say"?

 

They all agreed to Vishwas's suggestion and got into the car and left from there.  Soon they all were at Sara's place.

 

"Hey Sara, come on lets start the game now", said Sandy.

"Ok the rules are, everyone will be asked 5 questions or you can say five words.  The first thing comes to your mind you have to say it.  You are not supposed to think or take time.  All good"?

"Yes we are ready for this.  Wow I m excited", said Aman.

"If I m not wrong, something similar is shown in that movie "Kuch Kuch Hota Hai" in some Neelam show right"?, asked Vishwas.

"Ya the same thing.  So now you all know the rules, whom shall we start with"?, asked Sara.

"Well I can pass out any time now.  So first I will have a go", said Sandy.

"But who will ask the questions or say the words whatever"?, asked Sara.

"The only one who is in his complete senses is Vishu, so man go for it.  You say the words.", said Sandy.

"Wait I will say, Vishu can do this with Sara", interrupted Aman.

"Ok fair enough.  You have a go Aman", said Vishwas.

"Ya Aman, come on man, I m ready.  Just shoot", said Sandy.

 

 

So they started this Rapid fire game.  Aman after some thinking was now ready to ask Sandy,

 

"Fashion"?, started Aman.

"My first love", gave back Sandy.

"New York"?

"Dreams".

"Love"?

"Still waiting".

"Sex"?

"Basic need".

"So here comes the last one.  Sara"?

"A big question mark, hehehe".

"Well not bad Sandy.  Now I will go next", said Aman.

 

"Ok I will ask you, is that fine Sandy..."?asked Sara only to find Sandy had already passed out.

"No problem, you can shoot Sara.  I am ready", said Aman.

 

"Sex"?, stated Sara.

"Every night", came back from Aman.

"Hmm, Money"?

"Luxury".

"Heaven"?

"Home".

"Hug"?

"Mom".

"That was sweet.  Here comes the last one, Love"?

"Waste of time".

"That was cool Aman.  So who is next"?

"Vishu, and I will blast him", said Aman.

 

So Aman started off with his first one to Vishwas, "Ready Vishu"?

"Always, go on".

"Here is your first one, Holiday"?

"Beach".

"Rain"?

"Kiss".

"Ho ho, Sex"?

"Two souls".

"Great buddy.  Love"?

"Passion".

"Hmm.  So the last one, Life"?

"Sara".

"Good one Vishu.  So now its only you Sara, and I am sorry, I m off man", saying this Aman just fell on the sofa and passed out.

 

"So Sara, shall we start"? asked Vishwas.

"By all means Vishu, shoot".

"Life"?

"Sucks".

"Water"?

"Very important".

"Relationship"?

"Screws".

"Memories"?

"Graduation".

"Last one Sara, Love"?

"Sid", saying this Sara's eyes fills with tears.  She cries hugging Vishwas and finally passes out.

 

                        ---------------------

 

 

Sara was getting ready for her work when her phone rings,

"Hello"?

"Hey Vishu here.  Busy"?

"Ya, was getting ready.  Have some photo shoots today.  What's the matter"?

"Just thought if we could catch up for lunch".

"Hmm, I will give you a call after I reach office.  Will check the work load and will let you know.  Is it fine"?

"No issues, take care.  Bye".

"Bye".

 

It had been a month when they had all met on Valentine's day.  Sara didn't really remember what all she had said that day and Vishwas who was very well in his senses didn't ask Sara anything the next day when they all left from Sara's place.  After that all got busy in their work.  Sandy and Sara met once or twice.  Aman had to go to another state for some project work.  Vishwas had several assignments.  Now after one month, Vishwas thought of having a word with Sara.

 

"Hello Sara", answered Vishwas on his phone.

"Hey, I m free around 2 today".

"Cool, lets catch up at the same place for lunch".

"Sure, see you at 2 then".

"Ok, I will be there few minutes early as usual".

"You will be the same always".

"You know me".

"See you then".

 

 

 

Vishwas came ten minutes early as he knew that Sara is  always punctual.  She is never late.  Vishwas had asked to meet Sara as he wanted to ask few things but now while waiting for her he is quite not sure if he should ask or wait till Sara herself opens up.

 

"Hey, where are you lost"?, asked Sara who was exactly on time.

"Nothing, you are never late as usual".

"You know me  but I still don't understand why you have to come early every time".

"Just to secure a proper place you know", winked Vishwas.

"Hmm, shall we order.  I am very hungry".

"Sure.  Will start with a soup"?

"Cool".

 

They ordered their lunch.  Vishwas was thinking how to start when,

"How have you been these days?  Didn't really get a chance to speak after that day", said Sara.

"Ya, was quite busy with work.  Had lot of assignments".

"Hmm, ya same with me.  So how's the work now"?

"Bit stable now.  Wanted to ask you something"?

"What's it"?

"Well you know the other day when we were playing that rapid fire"?

"Ya, I really don't remember what nonsense I spoke or how stupidly I must have behaved".

"Ya you were bit out of world but not as bad as you think you would have".

 

 

Vishwas didn't really know how to ask.  He was just making up his mind when the food arrived.

 

"Hoo, here comes the food.  I am super hungry now.  I didn't had proper breakfast as I was in a hurry", said Sara.

"You always skip your breakfast Sara which is no good at all".

"I know, anyways, what is that you wanted to ask"?

"I don't know whether I should but..."

"Come on Vishu, what's it.  You never hesitated this much even when you proposed me", giggled Sara.

"Then I was bit overconfident about you accepting my proposal".

"And I rejected.  So now you are thinking whether to speak your mind or not"?

"I am thinking whether I will get an answer or not".

"Enough now, come on ask me what you want to ask".

"Ok, who is Sid"?

 

The very mention of this name made Sara freeze.  She was shocked to hear this name that too from Vishwas who don't even know about him.

 

"Ah, hmm, Sid, ah", Sara was struggling with the words.

"What happened Sara, why are you getting so tensed?  Its ok if you don't want to answer now", calmed Vishwas who was puzzled with Sara's reaction.

"How do you know this name"?

"Heard it from you the other day when we were playing that rapid fire game".

"I am getting late Vishu, will talk some other time".

 

 

Sara left without saying a word.  Vishwas was now sure that Sid was somewhere from Sara's past.  Some past which had held back Sara to move on in her current life.  Vishwas had made up his mind to know about it no matter how long he had to wait.

 

Sitting in her office cabin, Sara couldn't believe that even after these many years just the mention of Sid's name could pull her back straight to the point where she had thought she had left all those memories.  She was deep in her thoughts when her phone rang.  It was from India from her best friend Arpita.

 

"Hey Arpu, how are you, and how come at this time"?

"I am good.  You must be in office, are you free to talk"?

"Yes of course, tell me".

"Just wanted to confirm if you are coming for the reunion"?

"I have not yet thought about it Arpu".

"Come on Sara, its less than two months now.  You are out of country and you have to make preparations and you are telling that you are still thinking"?

"Ya I know, I mean I have to see about my work and all",

"You are coming.  We can meet all our friends.  Its only our batch and a batch before us.  Just book the tickets".

"Arpu but......."

"Oh come on Sara, its been freaking eight years since you have been there.  Don't you feel like seeing your parents or meeting us"?

"I do miss you all a lot Arpu but..."

"Then pack your bags and come.  We will be waiting.  I don't want to listen a word now", Arpu hangs up.

 

Both Sara and Arpita knows why Sara is thinking so much to come to the reunion.  She has to decide something soon.  The last time Sara, Nishanth, Pavan, Seema and Arpita had met was during Arpita's wedding.  It was the last get together they had before Sara flew to New York.  After she had come to New York she had missed Seema's wedding which was three years back and also Pavan's who tied a knot last year.

 

She had missed some fine occasions but going back was a big decision for her.  She was afraid if she could ever come back.  But now if she misses this reunion all her friends would be heart broken.  No one except Arpita knew why Sara had chose to move to New York when her career was going very well in India in Bangalore where she had an amazing job.

 

"Hey, you still there? Its home time darling", said Sara's manager who was about to leave.

"Oh yes, I didn't see the time.  Just packing up", said Sara who was lost in her thoughts.

 

Sara before leaving called Sandy to see if she wants to have dinner together.

 

"Sorry Sara I am bit busy tonight.  Can't really make it".

"No worries Sandy, you carry on.  Will see you sometime".

 

Sara left for home still not sure about whether to go for reunion.  She had to make a quick decision so she could apply for leave.

 

"Coming", said Sara to the one who was ringing her door bell.

It was Vishwas.

"Come on in, how come you here"?

"I was on my way back home.  Just thought of dropping by".

"Vishu you don't have to make excuses to come here as I very well know that my house does not come in your way".

"I know, just being formal you see".

"Now when you are here, stay back for dinner.  I m preparing chicken biryani".

"Yum, will surely stay back now".

 

Sara knew why Vishwas had come.  She had known Vishwas for the last five years.  If he wanted to know something he would never give up on that.  Sooner or later he would try to find out.  But Vishwas also knew that if Sara didn't wanted to talk about something she would also never open up.  Both were very hard at times.  Sandy always used to ask Sara, "why you have to be so complicated".

 

"Would you like some wine Vishu"?

"No thanks Sara, have to drive back".

"Just a glass doesn't matter I guess".

"That's the problem, I just can't have one glass".

"Then you can stay back for the night, I don't mind".

"That's really sweet of you but I have some early appointments tomorrow.  I will have a coke".

"As you wish.  I will get it for you, just a minute".

 

 

Sara was thinking what would she answer to Vishwas's questions.  Earlier during lunch she had escaped saying she was getting late for lunch but now there was no running away.  Vishwas thought that now Sara has to answer his queries.  She could just not avoid any more.

 

"Here is your drink.  Dinner will be ready soon", said Sara.

"Sara you know why I have come right"?

"Yep I think I know".

"So will I get my answers"?

"Lets have dinner first Vishu.  I will arrange the plates".

 

Sara was still avoiding Vishwas's words.

 

"I have arranged the plates.  Dinner is ready", said Sara.

"Wow it looks delicious and also smells great".

"I bet it tastes also yummy.  Come have your seat now".

"Ya it has made me hungry now".

 

"Hmm it is indeed very delicious Sara", said Vishwas while having his dinner.

"As I said, do you need more coke"?

"No I am fine, thank you".

"How was your day today, busy"?

"Hmm sort of.  When its your own business you really feel that pressure as everything relies upon you".

"True, remember when we used to work together we were always waiting for the time to just pack up and get out of the place".

"Ha ha, ya we were never serious about our work then".

 

 

Sara tried to divert Vishwas's mind as much as possible so that he forgets the main topic.  But Vishwas not the type to forget things easily that too something related to Sara.  When he was about to come to the topic, doorbell rings,

 

"Oh who might be at this time", saying this Sara goes to open the door.

 

"Sandy! How come you here.  Come on in.  You said you have some work right", asked Sara.

"Yeah yeah, that got cancelled.  So I thought I will have dinner here.  Hey Vishu, you are also there"?

"Yep just thought of dropping by and then Sara asked me to stay back for dinner".

"Hope I didn't ruin your romantic dinner", giggled Sandy.

"Sandy, you are too much.  Anyways go freshen up and come.  Dinner is ready anyhow", said Sara.

 

Sara was very much relieved to see Sandy as she knew Vishwas would now not ask anything in front of Sandy.  Sara could make out the disappointment on Vishwas's face.

 

"I know I can't ask anything now, but I have not forgot anything Sara.  If not today then some other day but I will clear my queries for sure", said Vishwas.

"May be even destiny doesn't want you to know anything Vishu".

"May be but only for today".

 

 

 

Sandy comes after freshening up.

 

"Ok now, I am super hungry.  Pass me the dish Sara", says Sandy.

"Here you are, would you like any drinks"? asks Vishwas.

"You are sitting with a coke Vishu, is there no wine Sara".

"He has to drive back Sandy.  I can get you a wine if you want".

"Of course, I will go with a wine".

"So you are staying back here"? asks Vishwas.

"Why should I not"?, winks Sandy.

"You are unbelievable Sandy", says Vishwas.

"Anyways I am working late tomorrow, so should not be a problem", says Sandy.

"How was your day Sandy"?, asks Sara.

"Oh don't ask dear, I am fully down today.  It was a crazy day.  By the way I have something to tell you guys".

"What's it"?, asks both Sara and Vishwas.

"First lets finish our dinner.  Hey we could have called Aman as well", says Sandy.

"He never comes on weekdays Sandy, you know that and more over he has still not returned from Chicago", says Vishwas.

"Oh yes, but he loves travelling I must say", says Sandy.

"So Sara when is our next outing baby.  The last time we were together you were rocking.  I should have clicked a video of yours", says Sandy.

"Look who is talking.  You yourself was not in a position to stand, and you would have took a video", laughs Sara.

 

 

 

They all finish up their dinner and settle on a couch.

 

"Now tell Sandy what's it you wanted to tell", asks Sara.

"Oh yes, there's one guy whom I had met few days back during one of my shoot".

"And........", says Vishwas.

"Well he is also an Indian and also from Delhi.  He had come there with one of his friend.  He is a doctor and he is damn hot".

"Don't tell me you have fallen for him just within few days", says Sara.

"Sara, he is really very cute and a gentleman.  We have met two or three times after that.  He is simple but very nice man".

"How can you say that just within two or three meetings.  What if he is pretending", says Sara.

""Oh come on Sara, who knows he may be nice.  He is a doctor and what's the need for him to pretend.  And more over Sandy is not going to marry him straight away", says Vishwas.

"Thank you so much Vishu for understanding.  Sara my dear I know you care for me.  But trust me this one is a nice man.  I mean we are still only friends but I would really like to know him more".

"What's his name and how long he has been here"? asks Sara.

"He is Rajiv and he has been here from last 15 years.  He now has his own practice and well settled guy.  His parents are back in Delhi".

"You seem to know quite a lot about him Sandy", says Vishwas.

 

 

Sandy when she likes someone can dig all the information about that person from any source.

 

"Wait I will show you his picture" and searches for this picture in her cell.

 

"Look here he is, isn't he dashing"?, asks Sandy.

"Well he is, but all I am saying is before going in deeply just be careful", says Sara.

"That I will Sara.  No one can fool me just like that", assures Sandy.

"Ok guys, I have to leave now.  See you some other time", says Vishwas.

"Hey Vishu lets plan something soon man.  If not clubbing then we can go on some trip", says Sandy.

"Ya why not.  Will plan something as Aman gets back.  Till then take care Sandy and you too Sara".

"I will walk you till your car", says Sara.

"Bye Vishu, take care", says Sandy.

 

Sara walks Vishwas till his car.  As he is about to leave,

"The next time we meet I am sure you will not avoid me Sara".

"I didn't avoid you today also Vishu".

"But I still couldn't get my answers".

"Sometimes some things are better unsaid Vishu".

"I know there is something holding you back Sara but I thought we share some friendship that I could know the reason but I guess I was wrong.  Anyways you take care", saying this Vishwas drives off from there.

 

                        --------------------------------

 

"So for how long you will be off"?, asked Sara's manager.

"Minimum of three weeks.  I will be going for the first time after I moved here", said Sara.

"Hmm, is there any special occasion.  I mean it is a peak time, if not can't you postpone it, say by another month or two"?

"Friends are having a reunion and I don't want to miss it.  I know its peak time but I have never took a single leave in these many years.  I am counting on you Mac".

"I understand and that's the reason I am finding very hard to say no.  But you are giving very short notice Sara.  I have to check if others are on leave at the same time.  I will let you know by end of this week".

"Sorry for short notice Mac, I was really confused about going but they have pressurised me very much.  And my parents also want me to see me.  Its been so many years now.  Hope you give a thumbs up Mac".

"I want to Sara but......., anyway I will let you know soon".

" I have to book tickets and its less than a month now".

"Trust me, I will get back to you ASAP".

 

Sara had finally made up her mind about going to India for the reunion.  If this time also she would have denied then it would be not fair on her part.  Her friends wanted to see her, wanted to have her then how could she reject.  She had missed many such occasions in the past.  She had to stop running away from the past and accept the present.  She had realised that she can't live like this whole her life.  She was waiting for the final approval from her Manager after which she was ready to book the ticket.

 

"Where are you? I am waiting from past 15 min.  You are always late Sandy", said Sara on the phone.

"Sorry dear, I am almost there, will see you in just 2 min", apologised Sandy.

 

Sandy had asked Sara to meet for lunch as she wanted to talk to her about something.

 

"Here I am.  I said I will be in just 2 min", said Sandy.

"But you are already late by exactly 17 min".

"Are you a time machine or what?  I was stuck in a traffic".

"You and your reasons, it never ends.  What you wanted to talk"?

"Well don't freak out after listening to this.  Rajiv proposed me last weekend".

"What!!!! You must have not accepted straight away, right"?

"Of course I did.  I mean I like him and he likes me.  Why would I reject"?

"Sandy, are you crazy?  You have known him only for a month now I guess and you accepted his proposal just like that".

"Oh come on Sara, I mean to know someone this much time is sufficient I guess.  In arranged marriages you don't have enough time but still you accept.  Here I have known him for one full month now".

"But Sandy, its matter of your life.  You have to be careful right".

"Sara my dear, we have to be practical sometimes.  I mean he is well settled, loves me, well educated.  What more you can ask for".

 

Sandy was a practical girl.  She was very sure about her decision.

 

"Sara I know you care for me but I can't wait anymore now.  I want to settle down.  You know I can't go back to Delhi and ask my parents to search a guy for me".

"I know Sandy.  I was just worried. If you are sure then go ahead.  When are you introducing him"?

"How about this weekend?  Aman is also back.  I will call Vishu also.  It will be a nice get together for us as well".

"Cool.  Where will you take us then"?

"At my place.  I will be cooking.  You know just to show him that I can cook", giggled Sandy.

"Oh if he gets addicted to your cooking, you may have to do it regularly you see, hehe".

"He is a nice cook.  So hopefully it should not be a problem".

"Great, ok I am getting late.  See you on Sat"?

"Yes, I will call you to confirm again.  Bye tc".

"You too, see ya".

 

So it was fixed to meet at Sandy's place.  Sara thought she would also tell her plans about visiting India as by the end of week her manager would let her know.  Sara was happy for Sandy though she thought one month is way too less to know someone.  But again sometimes even a small moment can make you realise that the person you are with is the one for you.  Something same had happened with Sara also.  How could she have forgot that.  Who knows Rajiv was the one for Sandy and more importantly Rajiv loves Sandy.

 

"Hey Sara, come on in and thanks for coming early baby", said Sandy who had asked Sara if she could help her with cooking.

"I had to, after all we all want to be healthy you see".

"Very funny.  I am not that bad".

"What time your Rajiv is coming"?

"He has some appointments, so he couldn't come early.  But he said he will be here by 7 pm".

"Hmm, so you called me.  Smart".

"Well who else could I have relied upon.  I mean I can't ask Vishu or Aman to help me with cooking you see".

"He he, that would have been still worse.  So what all you are cooking".

"Well I am planning to do some chicken kababs to go with the drinks, say as starters".

"Yum, then for the main course"?

"For the main I am thinking of fish curry and rice".

"You will be cooking fish curry? Are you sure, you really don't know anything about fish right"?

"That's why I have called you.  You will cook the fish curry, in pure Mangalore style".

"You are very clever Sandy.  Ok done and what about the desert"?

"I have no idea.  Do you have any suggestions"?

"Hmm, what does Rajiv like in sweets"?

"He likes almost all sweets.  That's why I am confused".

"Lets do rasmalai then, it will be yummy".

"Oh isn't it a long process"?

"Don't worry we will be fine.  Now come on lets start before they all get here".

"Ya, oh god, its already 5pm now".

"Don't worry, we will get it all done on time".

 

Sara and Sandy got busy with their cooking.  Sandy was not a very good cook.  She never really cooked anything.  All she knew was to make an omelette, tea and coffee and rice.  But today for Rajiv she had googled recipe for chicken kababs.  For fish she had fully depended on Sara as she knew Sara is a good cook and her fish curry is finger licking.  With Sara around, she was now bit relaxed.

 

Sara always tries new recipes as she herself is a big foodie.  Back in India Sara really never had any chance as her mother is a good cook and she never had to cook anything.  But now she has her own kitchen where she tries different recipes.  There was a reason for her cooking as well.  She had some nice memories with it.  Everytime she cooks she relives those memories.  She really had not come out of her past or somewhere she didn't really wanted to come out of it.

 

"Wow it smells delicious Sara.  I am really getting hungry now", said Sandy after Sara was done with her fish curry.

"Your kababs also looks good.  We will start to fry them once everyone comes".

"What about the desert? How long it will take"?

"Another 10 min, don't stress out.  Its almost there.  You arrange for drinks and other things.  I will cover up everything here".

"You are a darling Sara.  Don't know what I would have done without you today".

"Stop it Sandy.  You go and arrange.  They might be here anytime now".

 

It was sharp 7pm.  Sandy and Sara had finished with all the cooking and they were waiting for the guys to come.  Soon the door bell rang,

 

"I will get it.  It must be Rajiv", said Sandy.

"Hey Sandy", it was Aman and Vishwas.

"Hey, come on in".

"Oh you are already here", said Aman seeing Sara.

"Yes I had asked Sara to come early so that she can help me with the cooking", said Sandy.

"How are you guys?  How did your project go Aman"?, asked Sara.

"Ya it went well.  They may promote me soon".

"That's great news Aman.  Be ready to give us a treat then", said Sandy.

"So what's the menu Sandy? Should we be worried as its your cooking", teased Vishwas.

"Stop it Vishu, but for your information, I cooked only chicken kababs.  Rest was done by Sara", said Sandy.

"Oh but it was your party Sandy.  You called her to help and ended up making her cook everything", said Aman.

"Oh stop it you guys.  Its still her party. I only helped with cooking. Menu was decided by Sandy only", said Sara.

"Ok ok, we were just pulling her leg.  Sandy where's your Rajiv? Its 7:20 now", asked Vishwas.

"He said he will be there by 7.  I will just check with him", said Sandy.

"Lets wait for some more time Sandy.  He might be busy with something", said Sara.

"Ya lets give him some more time", said Aman as well.

 

 

It was 8:30pm now and there was no sign of Rajiv.  Sandy tried calling him but she was getting as not reachable.  All started to worry as Sandy said Rajiv was never late.

 

"Try calling his hospital", said Aman.

"I don't have his hospital number", said Sandy.

"Lets google it", said Vishwas.

 

They finally got the number and as they were about to call, the door bell rings.

"I will get it.  It must be Rajiv this time", said Sandy.

 

It was Rajiv and Sandy including everyone were relieved now.

 

"Where had you been? I tried calling you but your phone was out of reach.  You know how worried I was.  What took you so long?  What has happened to your phone", Sandy asked all in a single breath.

"Calm down, you will allow me then only I can tell you", said Rajiv.

"Oh I am sorry.  Ya tell what happened".

"Well I left from hospital on time but on the way my car broke down.  I had to call the insurance people.  After that my phone battery died.  By the time they came and fixed everything it took this much time".

"Oh thank god, I was so worried.  You are never late otherwise.  Keep your phone charged always from now on".

"I will I will.  Now will you not introduce me to your friends".

 

With all the tension in her head, Sandy forgot to introduce Rajiv to her friends.

 

"Oh I am so sorry.  This is Sara, Vishwas and Aman.  My best friends.  And guys this is Rajiv, the love of my life".

"Hello, nice to meet you all.  I have heard a lot about you guys from Sandy", said Rajiv.

"Well hopefully all the good things huh, anyways nice meeting you as well", said Aman.

"Ya we have also heard quite a lot about you", said Sara to Rajiv.

"Hope your car is alright now", said Vishwas.

"Ya all good, not to worry now", said Rajiv.

 

Rajiv is a good looking guy in his mid thirties.  He has black eyes, 5.9 tall, fair complexion and well built.  He is a doctor by profession and had come to New York 15 years back.  He now runs his own practice.  His specialisation is Paediatrics.  He has one elder sister who is married and lives in Noida.  His sister has two boys, elder one 12 years and younger 10 years.  His father used to work in Railway department but now is retired.  His mother is a housewife.

 

He had come to New York as a student to study medicine.  Later he worked in few hospitals while doing his specialisation. Once he got his master's in paediatrics he started his own practice.  Now he is a well settled guy.  Rajiv had started to like Sandy the day they had met and gradually he started to love her.  When he was sure about his feelings he proposed and Sandy had happily accepted.

 

"So now we can start of with the drinks I guess", asked Aman.

"Ya, I will start frying the kababs now", said Sandy.

"Aman you are not gonna drink today.  You are my driver", said Vishwas.

"Oh s**t ya, I will have only limited drinks then", said Aman.

"Not to worry, I have some early appointments tomorrow.  So I can drive you guys", said Rajiv.

"But what about our car"? asked Aman.

"Don't worry, you all can stay tonight here and go back tomorrow morning.  Rajiv you also stay back.  You can go early in the morning for your appointments", said Sandy.

"Yes that would be wonderful", said Vishwas.

"But......", said Rajiv.

"Not ifs and buts Rajiv, stay back and don't worry we will not disturb you and Sandy", giggled Aman.

"Yes yes, we will spare you a room", joined Vishwas with Aman.

"More over when Sandy is done with her drinks she will not be in her senses", said Sara.

"Oh my, you guys are unbelievable.  Sandy you were right", said Rajiv to Sandy who was busy frying kababs in the kitchen.

"Sandy, you are one of us, then what have you told Rajiv about us", asked Vishwas.

"Just that we are crazy people", yelled Sandy from kitchen.

"That's true.  The only sensible one in our group is Sara and to some extent Vishu.  Me and Sandy are full crazy", said Aman.

 

They all were having a nice time.  Sandy's kababs were delicious.  Sara's fish curry was yummy.  Sara who had second thoughts about Sandy accepting Rajiv's proposal was now fully relieved.  She agreed that Sandy could not ask anything more.  Rajiv was a nice guy.  All of them got along very well.  Rajiv very soon became one among them.  He had a good sense of humour.  Aman had thought doctors are very boring but Rajiv was exceptional.  He too was a fun loving guy.  So now their group had five members with Rajiv coming to their lives.  All were happy for Sandy.

 

"If you guys are done with dinner, shall I get desert now"?, asked Sandy.

"Well I am pretty full Sandy", said Aman.

"But Sara has put in some hard work to get it done.  You all must compulsorily have", said Sandy.

"Its ok Sandy, don't force them to have", said Sara.

"Another 10 min, then we can have I guess.  Sara that fish curry was really awesome", said Rajiv.

"Thanks Rajiv", said Sara.

"She is really a good cook", said Vishwas.

"Not that good also, well I love cooking.  Sandy said that you too cook very well", said Sara.

"Wow, so next time we can have party at your place Rajiv", said Aman.

"Sure anytime, you all are most welcome.  I would be very happy to have you all", said Rajiv.

"So when are you guys planning to settle down Sandy"? asked Vishwas.

"Not sure, we have still not thought about it.  But very soon though", said Sandy.

 

Rajiv and Sandy had only started to date now.  They were still in that romantic phase.  They both never really thought about marriage though they both wanted to settle down soon.  Rajiv has already informed his parents about Sandy and they have also talked to Sandy on skype.  They are happy with Rajiv's choice.

 

"So Sandy, you have chosen a very busy guy.  Doctors can get calls anywhere and anytime", said Vishwas.

"Ya, they really don't have much vacations you see", added Aman.

"But I am sure they still can take out time for their loved ones", said Sara.

"Yes Sara, they do.  I don't have any problem with Rajiv's busy schedule.  Even I get busy at times", said Sandy.

"The first thing I told Sandy when I proposed her was about my working hours.  Doctor's life is not easy but being doctor's wife is more tough", said Rajiv.

"Yes he had made it very clear", said Sandy.

"We were just pulling your leg Sandy.  I know you both make a very good couple", said Aman.

"True, Rajiv is a very sensible guy.  A perfect match for you who is so unpredictable at times", said Vishwas.

"Yes Rajiv, we are warning you, she can get really crazy at times.  Hope you can put up with her", said Sara.

"Don't you worry guys.  I can handle her", said Rajiv.

 

Rajiv had seen that crazy side of Sandy in this one month.  He had actually loved her for being so crazy.  He loved the way Sandy enjoyed her life.  She never cared about others and always followed her heart.

 

"Oh, ok how's the condition"? Rajiv was asking on his phone.  After listening to something, "ok I will be there in another 20 min.  You make all the arrangements".

"What happened"?, asked Sandy.

"There is an emergency at the hospital.  A little boy has fell from his balcony and has hit his head very badly.  They have took him to operation theatre.  I have to rush immediately", said Rajiv.

"Oh that's very sad", said Sara.

"Sorry guys have to leave abruptly like this but work comes first you see", said Rajiv.

"Don't be sorry Rajiv.  We completely understand.  Doctors are considered next to god not just like that", said Aman.

"Yes Rajiv, you carry on man.  We can meet anytime", said Vishwas.

"You guys are the best.  Sorry Sara couldn't taste your desert but I am sure it would be delicious as well", said Rajiv.

"No issues, you just go now.  I can prepare again when we meet next time", said Sara.

"Ok Sandy, sorry to leave you like this but I know you will understand", said Rajiv.

"Don't worry about me.  Drive safely and I know you would save that boy", said Sandy and they kissed before Rajiv left from there.

 

Sandy knew about all these consequences about being a doctor's wife.  But she had no problems with it at all.  She had chosen a nice guy and all good things comes with a price.  She was ready to pay this price but she had decided that Rajiv is the one for her.

 

"Hey Sandy, sorry for that dear.  We just now talked all about being doctor's wife and....", said Sara.

"Don't be guys.  If doctors start thinking about comfort and all, who will attend ordinary people like us.  It could be anyone", said Sandy.

"You are a great girl Sandy and a perfect match for Rajiv.  He couldn't ask for more", said Vishwas.

"Ya with all your craziness, you still are a very good human being", said Aman.

"Wow, what has happened to you guys.  Has alcohol got into you.  You are praising me"!!! said Sandy.

"Hehehe we were just making you feel happy Sandy", said all of them.

"You guys rock but you know I am not used to all these senti dialogues", said Sandy.

"Ok then, we take back all we said and hey you are one crazy girl  Sandy", teased Aman.

"Hehehe ya that suits better", said Sandy and all of them started to laugh together.

 

"So now at least we can have that rasmalai, please"?? asked Sandy.

"Oh yes, Sara's hard work can't just go waste like that", said Aman.

"Yes, it would be yummy as well", said Vishwas.

"No wonder it came from you Vishu", said Sandy.

"You guys started again, unbelievable", said Sara.

 

They all were having the desert.  It was really delicious.  Sandy always used to say "instead of being a photographer, why don't you open up your own restaurant".

 

"Hey guys, by the way I forgot to ask you all, how did you found Rajiv"?, asked Sara.

"Well, bit of boring", said Aman winking at others.

"Ya he is good looking but you know he doesn't has that "wow" factor in him", joined Vishwas.

"Look I don't think he likes parties and all and you are a party animal", said Aman.

"No he likes partying.  He has come with me for few parties", justified Sandy.

"But Sandy, he has no time for all parties and all.  He might have joined you a few times but what if it was only to make you happy", said Sara as well.

"And mind you Sandy, guys can make a girl happy only till they are boyfriends", said Aman.

"Hmm and once they become husbands, they don't care about all these things", said Vishwas.

"What are you all saying guys.  Not a single positive thing about him.  But trust me he is really a nice guy", said Sandy almost having tears in her eyes.

"Oh stop it you both.  Its enough now", said Sara.

"Ok ok, Sandy we were just kidding buddy", said Vishwas.

"Yes, Rajiv is really a nice guy.  We were just pulling your leg", said Aman.

"Yes Sandy, he is a gem of person", said Sara.

"You guys are too much.  I was about to cry now", said Sandy.

"Oh just missed it.  We have never seen you crying", teased Aman.

 

Sandy was a strong girl.  She really never cared about anything and her friends had hardly seen her cry.

 

"Ok guys, I have something to tell you all", said Sara.

"Oh what is it now"? asked Vishwas.

"Sara darling, don't tell me you have found someone", said Sandy.

"Oh if that's the case, what about our Vishu"?, teased Aman.

"Will you all shut up and listen to me now"? yelled Sara.

"Exactly you both can go on and on. First lets listen to Sara", said Vishwas.

"Oh man, after a long time Vishu has stood up for Sara again", said Aman.

"You guys are impossible, forget it", said Sara.

"No no we are sorry, shut up Aman, You go on", said Sandy.

"Well two months back I got a mail from one of my friend in India.  They are having reunion of all of our friends from our batch and a batch before us", said Sara.

"And.......", asked Sandy.

"I didn't really wanted to go but they want me to come this time.  I have missed some of my friend's marriages, other functions as well".

"So you are going"?, asked Vishwas.

"Yes I have decided to go.  Beginning of the week I had asked Mac for leave.  He has approved for my leave yesterday".

"So long you will be gone"?, asked Aman.

"I am going for three weeks", said Sara.

"When are you leaving"? asked Sandy.

"Next month", said Sara.

 

 

                        ---------------------------------

 

Days were passing very quickly.  Sara had only a week left before she flew to India.  She had lot of preparations to do.  There was pressure at her work as well.  She had to complete few assignments.

 

"Maria can you print these things please, thank you.  Jamie I had told you it should be this way.  Please fix it up.  Where is Radha? I had asked her to get those images", Sara was everywhere.  She was totally stressed out.

"Calm down Sara.  I have already sent those images.  Here, first have a cup of coffee.  You are freaking out", said one of her colleague Radha.

"Oh thanks Radha.  I am totally stressed out.  Next week I am flying and still I have so many things to do".

"Don't worry you will be fine".

"I have not done a single shopping.  I am going for the first time and I have to buy something for everyone.  And I have to complete all these assignments as well".

"You are just getting tensed.  Don't think too much.  Work will be done anyhow.  You just have to be cool headed".

"Ya you are right".

 

Radha is a good friend of Sara.  She is in her late 30s.  She is married and has a 5-year-old son.  She is medium built, 5.4 tall, black eyes.  Radha had come to New York with her husband after marriage about 17 years back.  Her husband works in IT as senior consultant.  Coming from a small town like Belgaum, Radha had very well adjusted to this new city and its life style.  She very well maintains both her personal and professional life.

 

"No Sandy you carry on.  I would not be able to make it", Sara said on phone.

"Its ok if you are late, you can still come", Sandy tried convincing from the other end.

"I am really busy.  You know I will be flying next week.  There is lot of work pending and I also have to do shopping over the weekend".

"Ok but see if you can.  And let me know if you want me to come for your shopping".

"Ya sure, thanks Sandy".

"No worries".

 

Rajiv was having some party at his place and Sandy wanted Sara also to join.  But Sara was so busy with her work that she couldn't think of anything else.  She had to do lot of shopping as well.  She had not started packing her things.  More importantly she wanted to have a word with Vishwas before she was gone.  So many things running in her head, she couldn't imagine of going to a party.

 

"Ok, so this is done.  Hmm this is ok.  Have you faxed this"?, asked Sara to one of her colleague Maria.

"Yes Sara, I have faxed them", Maria replied.

"Good, have you told Mac about next week's assignment"?

"No he was busy with some work".

"Ok no worries, I will let him know.  Thanks".

"When are you flying"?

"Next Saturday".

"Oh you have only 8 days from today".

"Ya that's the reason I am freaking out".

 

It was 11:30pm by the time Sara came home.  Working late was not new to her but from past few days working late had totally stressed her out.  She had to concentrate on work as well as on her travel plans.  She had mailed Arpita about her travel.  She had also told her parents.  They were very happy to see her.  Sara's parents had come few years back to stay with Sara for a month.  After that this would be the first time they will see her.  While thinking about them and all the things she would do in India, she realised how much actually she missed them.  Staying away from someone had bought distances between her closed ones as well.  She now thought whether coming to New York was her right decision.

 

The last time her parents were in New York they tried to convince Sara a lot of coming back to India.  But Sara had refused saying that she has a nice future here and it would help her build her career.  She had to say these things as she couldn't say the real fact about why she had to leave India and come this far and stay away from her parents.  Had they known the real reason they would have never let her come to New York.

 

In between Sara's parents had told her about many marriage proposals.  She had plainly refused them saying she is not yet ready for marriage.  She also told them she would herself find someone and would let them know.  This was only to stop them from searching any further matches.  She knew she has hurt her parents on many occasions.  But had she stayed in India, her parents would have pressurised her for marriage for which she was not ready.

 

"Good morning lazy bones, are you home today"?, asked Sandy from the other end of the phone.

"Hmm good morning Sandy.  I will be going after 12 today", said Sara.

"Ok I will come there in another 20 min.  Need to discuss something".

"Ok, but.........", before Sara could ask anything Sandy had hung up.

 

Sara was not sure what Sandy had to discuss this early.

 

"Hey, come in", said Sara opening the door to Sandy.

"Morning hope I didn't disturb you".

"As if you care even I said yes".

"Well you know me".

"Coffee"?

"Sure".

"How's your work and look at you, what has got into you"?

"I am quite busy these days Sandy.  Last night also I came home late.  Here your coffee".

"Why bother so much Sara, another three days and you are flying.  You have to be fit".

"Ya I know, what you wanted to discuss"?

"You are flying on Sat, do you remember what's on Friday"?

"What"?

"It's Vishwas birthday Sara, you couldn't forget that.  You are not allowed to".

"Oh yes, work has really screwed me.  You are right I am not allowed to forget".

 

 

They used to celebrate all their birthdays without fail.  The other three used to meet and plan everything.  Every year it was a different surprise.  No one used to forget.  But this time because of Sara's busy schedule she didn't really had time to think of anything.  But now she had to find a proper gift for Vishwas.

 

"I had a chat with Aman last night.  We thought surprising him at his place would be great", said Sandy.

"Yes it would be better.  I also have flight the next day.  So house party would be best".

"Ya so I will ask Aman to go with it.  He has to somehow get spare keys from Vishu".

"How will he do that"?

"He said he will manage.  I will do some shopping".

"But I can't help you guys this time Sandy.  Have to finish up a lot at work before I fly".

"I understand your plight.  Me and Aman will manage.  You are spared this time".

"Thank you so much Sandy.  You don't have work today"?

"I am going late.  Some appointments got cancelled".

"Hmm, hey how did the party went at Rajiv's place?  I forgot to ask".

"It was awesome Sara.  You should have been there.  The way he arranges these parties and the way he enjoys, one cannot say he is a doctor".

"Hehehe, that's great.  You have got a perfect match then".

"Ya he knows how much I love these parties.  Anyway I will get going.  Will buy few stuff before I go to work.  See ya", Sandy was gone.

 

There was only three days left for Sara.  Sara had done with all her shopping and packing.  She had few assignments at work which was to be completed.

 

"What time you will be coming"? asked Radha from other end of the phone.

"Around 12", answered Sara.

"If you want I can help with those.  You can take some rest and come bit late".

"No its fine.  I will be there around 12, thanks Radha".

 

Sara always loved when it was busy.  She always wanted to keep herself so busy that no other thoughts run in her mind.  But this time she didn't like being so busy.  She needed a break which she would get after three days.  The most worrying thing for her now was what if her parents forced her to stay back.  What excuse could she give this time.  What if they pressurised for marriage.  So many thoughts were running in her mind.  She herself wanted to stay with them, close to them but she couldn't.

 

The only reason for that was Siddharth.  She never tried to contact him even once after she moved to New York.  She used to check his details sometimes on facebook but she never really sent a friend request to him.  He had sent once but she had not accepted it.  Sara thought why it should have ended the way it did.  What went wrong.  Why she had to come this far.  What was the reason to escape from him.  She thought if only life had some rewind button, she could have fixed so many things.  But it never happens.  Time gone is gone.  Nothing could be changed from the past.

 

"The one to be presented next week has been done.  All other documents related to it has been faxed.  I have took print outs of some and placed in this folder", explained Sara to her manager.

"You are too good, aren't you"? asked Mac, Sara's manager.

"Ya best in us comes out at times of intense pressure you see".

"Sara I didn't mean to stress you but you know I can't rely upon others for all these things".

"Ya ya I understand".

"So all set for your trip"?

"Yes almost done with everything.  I have one presentation tomorrow".

"Oh yes your last one before you fly".

"Ya and I will leave soon after that presentation.  Hope its fine".

"Of course, you can.  Just make sure Radha knows all the details about the things you handle so that everything is well maintained".

"Ya sure.  I have already explained everything to Radha but I will go through her again before I leave tomorrow".

"Thanks darling.  I have a meeting with other client tomorrow.  Will not be there for your presentation.  Anyways wishing you safe journey in advance".

"Thanks Mac.  Let me know if you need anything from India".

"Haha I would buy stuff when I will visit there myself.  It's there in my plan books".

"You better take a break.  Its been a long time you took".

"Of course,  once you are back, it will be my turn".

 

 

Sara had very well completed all her assignments.  She had only one presentation tomorrow.  She was very much relieved now.  The only thing remaining on her to-do list was to buy a gift for Vishwas.  Sara also wanted to have a small chat with him.  She thought she will, tomorrow once the party is finished.  She wanted to clear out few things with him.  She was hoping at least this time he would understand her.

 

"Hey Sara, all set"?, it was Arpita on phone from India.

"Hey Arpu, ya almost", said Sara.

"Good, what time you will be landing here"?

"It is 15 hours journey.  I will be leaving on Sat from here, will reach Bangalore on Sunday night.  I will then take a flight from there to Mangalore the next morning".

"Hmm so basically you will be reaching Mangalore on Monday"?

"Yes, when is the get together, its on Saturday right"?

"Yes, in our college campus.  You will have one week to get out of your jet lag and all".

"Hmm ya true.  How's everyone, Seema, Pavan and Nishu"?

"All are good.  We are very happy that you are coming finally".

"Hmm, I chat with them sometimes.  But past few days had been really hectic.  Anyways I have to go now Arpu, will see you in Mangalore".

"Sure, will be waiting for you and don't stress yourself with unnecessary thoughts".

"I am already stressed with work now.  Don't have anymore energy to think about anything else.  See ya".

 

 

"Unnecessary thoughts"!  These thoughts which were unnecessary for Arpita were the most cherishable memories for Sara.  She was very busy in her life but those thoughts, those memories never left Sara's mind.  She was surrounded by lot of people but those memories had its own place.  It had become a part of Sara's life.  Happy or sad, those memories used to bring some contentment in her otherwise boring life.  Yes in a happening city like New York Sara always felt her life was boring.

 

Was her life the same back in India.  Her friends had never really seen her true side.  Her friends thought her as boring but Sara was not the same back then.  Had they known her they would be left dumb stuck.  Sara herself could make out how different she has become.  She didn't become the way she is purposefully but some incidents in her life changed her totally without her realisation.  She had tried a lot to ignore that but she couldn't and that's the reason she is here today in New York.

 

"Siddharth"! Just a thought of his name made Sara tremble.  How would she face him.  What would he be like now.  Does he still remember her.  Would he still be single.  What will she talk when she would meet him.  She was getting restless at these thoughts.  She had to let it go and take it how it comes.  She had to pretend that all is well with her.  She couldn't let him read her thoughts, at least not now after these many years.  She had to be strong, very strong.  Putting all these thoughts aside she was happy to see her parents and her brother.

 

"Hello Sandy"?, asked Sara on phone.

"Yep babes, what's up? How's the work"?

"I am almost done for today.  I need to buy a gift for Vishu, are you free now"?

"Hmm I will be in another 20 min".

"Cool then will catch you in 20 min at our regular mall".

"Super, see ya".

 

Sandy and Sara met in the same mall where they usually do their shopping.  It was one of their favourites.

 

"Its almost an hour and you are still not sure of what to buy", said Sandy to Sara.

"I am so confused Sandy, this last minute shopping is no good".

"Come on its only a gift.  And anyhow he loves anything you give.  He will not mind even if you don't give anything".

"Sandy, don't start all over again.  Instead help me find something".

"We have covered almost all shops now.  Just buy something dear".

"Ok one last shop.  See, we will go there".

 

Sara always had trouble buying things for others.  She used to calculate a lot about whether they would like or not.  This was the main reason she used to do such shopping way before any occasion.  But this time due to her busy schedule and travel plans she didn't find proper time for this.  Finally she bought a wrist watch with which she was very well satisfied.

 

 

"Finally you got one.  I would have gone mad otherwise".

"Oh Sandy you love shopping right", said Sara.

"Yes but I just don't go door to door like you without buying anything".

"No issues, for all your hard work, come I will get you a dinner".

"Hmm you are spared now", giggled.

 

Sandy loved eating in restaurants and trying different cuisines.  She hates cooking as she is not very good at it.

 

"Wow that was a yummy dinner.  I didn't realise how hungry I was", said Sandy.

"Glad you are happy now".

"So are you starting early tomorrow"?

"Yes I have one presentation.  After that I am free.  Have you guys set up everything for tomorrow's surprise"?

"Ya we are done with shopping.  Tomorrow me and Amand will go to Vishu's place for decoration".

"I will join you guys as soon as I finish my presentation.  You have invited Rajiv also right"?

"I did but he is going out of town for some seminars.  He will be back after a week".

"Oh so when is he going"?

"He will be flying tomorrow early morning.  I have told him not to wish Vishu".

"Thats good or else all our surprise will go in vain".

"Very true.  But I am going to miss Rajiv very badly".

"He is going for a week and you will miss him.  Are you not going to miss me".

"Of course dear, I was just going to tell that", giggled Sandy.

 

After seeing off Sandy, Sara reached her place.  She took a quick shower and made herself a cup of coffee.  She had to do some preparations for next day's presentation.  Once she was done with that she thought about the things she would say to Vishwas.  There were so many thoughts running in her mind.  She was not sure if she should tell or just write a letter to him.

 

Sara was very good in expressing her thoughts in writing.  She had always preferred writing than speaking.  She used to feel lot of things would be left unsaid when you are speaking but while writing you can express every detail.  But again she didn't wanted to give all the details to Vishwas.

 

"Vishu is a very good friend of mine.  He has been with me in most difficult times.  I know he loves me a lot but accepting his proposal would be cheating him.  I know I could never love anyone with all my heart now.  How can I do this to such a wonderful person like him.  I know I can't delay my marriage anymore.  My parents would start pressurising me this time.  Why is it so important to marry.  Are we not strong enough to be alone.  Do we need someone at every point in our life.  Will I ever be able to love anyone else.  Vishu now knows I had someone in my past.  No I can't cheat him saying I love him because I don't but I do like him a lot.  If not for my past then I would have definitely accepted him without another thought.  He has to understand this. Hope he understands this time.  Yes I will write to him instead of speaking".

 

 

"That was a great presentation Sara.  We really like your ideas.  We will get back to you soon", the client said after watching Sara's presentation.

"Thanks a lot.  We would love to do business with you", said Sara.

 

Sara had done with her presentation and all the other work which she was assigned for.  Now finally she was relieved from all her responsibilities at least for some time.

 

"That presentation went really well Sara".

"Thanks Radha, hope they give a positive reply".

"I am sure they will.  Afterall it was presented by you".

"Come on now you are exaggerating.  Anyway I will see you soon".

"Have a great holiday Sara, you really needed it my dear".

"Thanks a lot Radha.  Ok everyone bye.  I will see you all in three weeks", Sara bid good bye to everyone and left from her office.

 

She had to go to Vishwa's place as per the plan.  Aman and Sandy would be there by now.  It was 4pm and Sara realised she had not eaten anything.  She thought she will grab a sandwich on her way.  Vishwas would be home around 7pm.  Everything would be done by that time.

 

She has written a letter to Vishwas which she thought she would give once the party was done and would ask him to read only after she was gone.  She has also kept a pen drive with it which included her story, which she now thought Vishwas had the right to know.

 

 

"Hello guys", said Sara to Aman and Sandy who were busy decorating Vishwas's house.

"Hey Sara how did you come in.  I mean you didn't ring", asked Aman.

"That's because you guys have forgot to lock the door which I did now", said Sara.

"Aman, you can't do a thing man", said Sandy.

"Oh yeah it was you who closed the door Sandy", gave back Aman.

"Ok stop now both of you.  Tell me what should I do", asked Sara.

 

All the three got back to decorating the house.  Each one were doing different things.  One was doing the lights, the other arranging the food and one with cake.  It was almost 7 now and Vishwas would come anytime now.

 

"Wow guys it looks great now", said Sandy.

"Yes, Vishu might be here anytime now", said Aman.

"He must have thought we forgot his birthday.  Any of you had a word with him today"? asked Sara.

"No, I met him last night and silently took his spare keys. But he might know we would have planned something", said Aman.

"Ok now switch off the lights.  We will start singing birthday greeting as soon as he enters", said Sandy.

"Not as soon as he enters, but when he switches the light.  First we will go surprise and then the birthday song", said Aman.

"Ya ya I meant the same Mr.  Now switch off the lights, will you"?

 

After the lights went off , all of them hid at one place.  It was 7.30pm now and Vishwas would come soon.  They were bored waiting for him.  As one of them was about to call him, they heard the front door opening.  Once the lights were on, all the three at once went,

"Surprise................, happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday to dear Vishu, happy birthday to you.  Hip hip hurray! hip hip, hurray!".

 

"Thanks a lot guys, you really gave me a heart attack with all that", said overwhelmed Vishwas.

"Oh come on, you are not that old to get a attack with petty things like this", said Aman and gave him a big hug and handed him his gift.

 

"Happy birthday Vishu darling", said Sandy giving him his gift.

"Happy birthday Vishu, may you always be happy", said Sara hugging him and gave his gift.

"Thanks a lot Sara, this hug means a lot to me", whispered Vishwas in Sara's ears.

"We heard that", chuckled Aman and Sandy.

"But when did you guys plan all this.  I mean how did you get my keys", asked confused Vishwas.

"Well we have a small thief in our group here.  All the credit goes to Aman", said Sandy.

"Oh I get it now.  That's the reason you came here last night buddy", said Vishwas.

"Ya but at the end of it, you liked our small surprise bro".

"You guys are awesome as always", said Vishwas.

"Ok enough of teasing and all.  Let's cut the cake now before its too late", said Sara.

 

Dinner was followed by cake cutting.  They got drunk, danced, played games.  In total they had a blast.

 

"Hey Sara darling this toast is for you, happy bonvoyage babes, will surely miss you", said Sandy.

"Yes Sara, we will truly miss you.  Especially your great advices, hahahaha", joined Aman.

"Ya of course Aman.  And Sandy I am going only for three weeks my dear", said Sara.

"Ya I know but what if your parents don't send you back", worried Sandy.

"Don't say that Sandy, Vishu would really get a attack now", teased Aman.

"Oh here they go again, you both can just go on and on right"? said Vishwas.

"Nothing such is gonna happen.  Even if they hold me  back, to cover up everything here I have to come back", said Sara.

"Oh that means there are chances of you settling there, I would really miss you very badly then", said Sandy.

"Don't over react Sandy, you have Rajiv now.  I bet you would not remember Sara", said Vishwas.

"Sandy you are high, go get some sleep.  I have a early flight to catch tomorrow", said Sara.

"Yes I would drop Sara to airport tomorrow from here after getting her luggage on the way", said Vishwas.

"But I have to freshen up before that.  It would be best if I leave now itself", said Sara.

"Are you kidding me? No one can drop you now to your place and you yourself had some drinks", said Aman.

"Its ok Sara, will leave early tomorrow so that you can freshen up", said Vishwas.

 

The next morning Sara left early with Vishwas after bidding good byes to her friends Sandy and Aman.

 

"Take care Sara and have a nice and memorable trip.  Do come back dear, will truly miss you", said Sandy.

"Yes Sara, have a safe landing and enjoy your stay", wished Aman.

"Thank you guys, will see you soon", said Sara.

 

Soon Vishwas and Sara reached Sara's place.

 

"Give me 10 min Vishu, I will be freshen up and come", said Sara.

"No issues, don't hurry.  We still have time", said Vishwas.

 

As Sara said she was ready within 10 min.  All her bags were already packed and they were now on their way to airport.

 

"So you will be coming back right"? asked Vishwas.

"Of course Vishu, at least from my side.  But Ma and Papa may force me to stay back".

"Just give them some reason and come back, at least to say final good bye".

"Vishu, why you have to make this so difficult.  Why do you love me so much"?

"I don't know the reason but you can't stop me from loving you".

"I know that and I also know the pain when the person you love don't love you back".

 

 

They reached airport.  Sara had still some time to board her plane.  Sara asked Vishwas not to wait but he insisted to stay for a while.

 

"Vishu, I have something for you".

"What's it, birthday is over.  Are you giving me another gift"?

"Here, take this packet.  There is a letter I have written to you and one pen drive.  So many things that I know I can't tell you".

"Thanks Sara but you don't have to think to talk to me.  You can say anything".

"I know Vishu, but I would have not been able to and you would have not let me also.  So this letter".

"Ok wait I will read".

"Wait, not now.  You would read once I am gone.  Not in front of me".

"You don't want to know my answer"?

"I am not asking any questions in this letter.  I am just telling you my thoughts".

"Ok Sara, as you wish.  I would read once you leave".

 

Final announcement was made for all the passengers of Sara's flight.  Sara had to leave now.

 

"Take care Sara, I would really miss you".

"Bye Vishu", saying this Sara kissed Vishwas on his cheeks and hugged him.

"I would be waiting for you Sara", and Vishu kissed Sara on her forehead.

"Will message you once I land".

"Have a safe journey, bye".

 

Sara's plane took off.  There were tears in Vishwa's eyes which he had held back.  He had Sara's packet with a letter inside in his hands.  Not a love letter but a first letter from his beloved.

 

"Dear Vishu,

 

The other day you had asked whether we share a little friendship to know my past.  I think its time now you should know my past.  I wanted to tell you the day you proposed me but I didn't wanted to go through all that again.  But now I think you have a right to know that.  I have a beautiful but painful past Vishu.  If I start telling everything one whole day would not be enough.  I have kept a pen drive with this letter, you may have got that.  I have documented my past in that.  Read it in your free time.  You love me but you should know few things about the girl you love.  I have documented each and every detail in it.  You may find it like a small story.  Right now I am not in a state to accept your proposal but I promise you once I am back from India I will give you my answer.  Positive or negative I hope you would respect that.  May be this India trip would help me to sort out few things and clear my mind.  I don't know whether I would be able to love you, so I don't want to make any false promises.  You are a nice guy and I know you love me a lot and can understand your pain.  I will not ask you to wait for me, it would be very selfish of me.  But do go through my story Vishu.  You would find a different Sara there.  See you soon.  Till then, take care.

 

Sara".

 



© 2017 Swetha


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wonderful character sketches of four friends. Easy to understand- credit to your writing. All in all I liked it.
Coming to constructive criticism I found few English mistakes at the beginning rest is good. Considering you as a newbie, 'll help you out via message rather than posting a lengthy review in here.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Swetha

6 Years Ago

Thank you very much for your review, would really appreciate your help..

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

172 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 18, 2017
Last Updated on August 21, 2017


Author

Swetha
Swetha

Sydney, NSW, Australia



About
I am a newbie here. I used to write short stories but now trying with novels..Please feel free to leave your reviews.. Also please visit the website woxpert for my other novels... more..

Writing
Final Word Final Word

A Story by Swetha


Part 2 Part 2

A Chapter by Swetha