Chapter 6

Chapter 6

A Chapter by SylphXanas

‘Petra, that was wonderful, I've never seen anything like it before. Your home must be a place of wonders.’ She stood there and looked at the now white sphere.

‘Yes, it used to be just that.’  Petra walked over and picked it up. ‘Here, I’d like you to have it.’

‘I couldn't possibly; you said your father gave it to you.’

‘It’s a copy of that one and you will get joy from it.’ She smiled as she placed it into Rose's hands. ‘Whenever you play it, you’ll find it will always be slightly different. The original one that mine was copied from is as large as this room and use to light up at every sunset. It stood in the center of the city and was meant to inspire piece and harmony. You can pass it down to your children when the time comes.’ She stroking the wing of the Pegasus, it came to life and took flight around the room. Sometimes hovering high in the air before diving down and around the three people then under tables and chairs. Rose laughed as it came to a stop just out of her reach before it neighed and flew around her before landing back in Petra's hand as a statue.

‘It looked so real while it flew.’ Rose said as she touched the snowy white back. ‘How is it we have never seen its like, what is it.’

‘It is called a Pegasus, a horse with wings really. It won’t wear a bridles and saddles but will gladly let someone ride bareback; they are very social and loving creatures. They hold a joy for life that no other animal has.’ She stroked its muzzle gently and it again came to life, but this time it did not fly. It waited for her to put it on the table then trotted over to the flowers and nibbled on a petal. Skylar put his hand on the table; it walked over and nuzzled his palm. He squatted down and looked closely at the small creature.

‘It does look real Petra.’ He looked up at her.

‘It is just animated by ability . . . magic.’


It only took just over two months for both Skylar and Rose to perfect opening and closing the void. Rose was thrilled as she could hide anything she didn't want anyone to know about, like letters from an admirer. All the while her other companions watched and talked between themselves. Louisa started saying things to the others that made them wonder if they should say something to the king about the newest companion.

‘I think one of us should go to the king again?’

‘Why?’

‘I was walking through the garden yesterday and I overheard Princess Rose and that woman. It worries me.’ Louisa said looking at her hands.

‘What was she saying?’

‘It was not what she said so much as how she was saying it. I think that woman is using magic on her.’

‘Explain why you think that.’

‘She was repeating what that woman was saying, but she sounded like she was in a trance.’ She sighed. ‘I heard her saying that the princess needed to stop seeing us all together, Princess Rose repeated it then said it was the right thing to do. Her voice was devoid of all emotion.’

‘I know that none of us like Petra, but I really don’t think she would use magic on the princess. They get along really well.’

‘That’s true, but why do I often she that woman looking as if . . . I don’t know how to explain it, but it send a tremor through my heart to think what she might be doing to our princess.’ Louisa made her voice sound afraid.

‘Princess Rose would know instantly if magic was being used on her, and you know that Louisa.’

‘That woman is so foreign that Rose might not even understand what is happening.’

‘That’s true, she looks so different that it shocked me the king even allowed his own sister near her.’

‘Have even one of you felt it when she casts one of her spells?’ Louisa asked, knowing they had not.

‘No, but that proves nothing.’ Rene tried to sound sure but failed.

‘Yes it does, if we can’t feel it, and Rose obviously can’t, how are we to know for sure? I know I haven’t even tried to like that woman, but I wouldn't . . . Oh help me explain this properly.’ She raised her eyes as if praying to god. ‘At first it was just her oddness that set me on edge, but now it’s so much more than that. Have any of you noticed that Princess Rose can’t seem to handle being more than a few feet away from her. That even the king is beginning to do the same?’

‘Yes . . . yes I have. But there is a better explanation than yours.’

‘And what do you think is happening?’ She asked hoping that no one else had noticed the closeness the king felt to the pale woman.

‘How about he likes her, I have never seen him look at any other woman the way he looks at Petra.’ Minsha watched for her reaction, Louisa’s eyes narrowed for a moment.

‘You are just put out because you were hoping you would be the one she would truly take to. To be placed in that room.’ Rene said as she returned to her sewing.

‘I’m not a liar, that woman is using magic on the princess and maybe even the king, and if you are not careful, I will start to think she’s using it on you also.’

Enough! If I hear you spreading such lies out of spite, I will be the one going to the king.’ Rene said raising her face to her friend. She had gone to the King a few times when Petra had first arrive but took the King at his word when he said she would never do anything to harm his sister. ‘Just be happy with your lot. There is only one thing that could remove you from your service to Princess Rose and you are getting very close to it.’

‘You dare call me a servant.’ Louisa glared at the woman. ‘I am a Lady and don’t you ever forget it.’

‘How could we dear, you like trying to make everyone call you Lady Louisa with every sentence. I’m here to tell you that the three of us Ladies far out rank you, and that is something you would be wise to remember.’

‘Your mothers married into the lines from far below. Mine never once looked below their station. The idea is disgusting.’

‘Whatever you wish, just remember here and now, we are your betters.’ Rene said not looking at her as she picked up a cake. ‘And if I am honest with you all, I have come to like Petra very much. I would have to work very hard to find many that hold such a dislike of that kind heart.’

‘I think I’ll have a walk before I prepare for dinner.’ She closed the door only to hear laughter from the other side of it. ‘Be careful you three crones, soon you will be under my feet.’ She didn't raise her voice as she hurried away.

With a sigh Rene rose from the seat and moved to the door.

‘Where are you going?’

‘To have a word with the king.’ She turned to the two other women. ‘I believe . . . he needs to know.’ She waited. ‘I understand if neither of you want to come with me . . .’

‘It’s not that I . . . I’m just not sure that . . .’ she picked up her drink and just couldn't look at Rene as she left.

‘Do you think she’s telling the truth?’

‘Which one?’

Louisa.’

‘No, I can’t put what she said with the woman I see. But Petra is so different that I can’t completely rule it out.’

‘Me neither.’



© 2012 SylphXanas


Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Know That I Too
We are never alone (a poem for mental health month)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

166 Views
Added on December 17, 2012
Last Updated on December 17, 2012
Tags: Fantasy, magic, cliff, death, lonely, love, Great Mother, fear


Author

SylphXanas
SylphXanas

Australia



About
I am a wannabe writer who needs reviews on my stories. I love fantasy more than any other, but will read other books. more..

Writing
Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by SylphXanas


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by SylphXanas