7: Freedom Forty-Seven

7: Freedom Forty-Seven

A Chapter by TaylSpin

September 11, 2017, the day after World Suicide Prevention Day, I was discharged from St Joe’s West 5th campus Hospital. I walked out on my own two feet; I was twenty pounds lighter, significantly less tan, and in a hell of a lot better mood than when I had been admitted forty-seven days earlier. And I rode off into the sunset on a unicorn and lived happily ever after. 

 

In reality, as I left Hospital, I was terrified. And rightly so! I had been living in a safe cocoon of a society for over a month and a half and here I was heading back out into the real world �" where there were choices, and stress, and things that couldn’t be predicted and people wouldn’t be protecting me. It took a long time for that fear to subside, for going out to be more than a brave face plastered on. Every single day of my first week at home I wished to be back in the comfort and security of my hospital room - the one that I had so adamantly hated in the beginning. I missed having the assurance of seeing a nurse or doctor every time I turned around. I had to readjust to life at home, and to become used to the feeling of being safe in my own company again. Each time I had a follow up appointment as an outpatient in Hospital I stayed on campus for many hours both before and after it, because being back in the building gave me a sense of confidence and safety I hadn’t quite regained for myself out in society.

 

Cautiously, I started allowing myself to get back to doing the things I enjoyed. I baked, did crafts, walked the dog, and made plans with my friends. I made appointments for myself and I kept them; I was determined not to let the ball drop again any time soon. These were the baby steps back into life. A life I was going to live, and to love.

 

I also listened to a lot of empowering songs by Rachel Platten. And Cher. No shame.



© 2017 TaylSpin


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

45 Views
Added on October 10, 2017
Last Updated on October 10, 2017


Author

TaylSpin
TaylSpin

Canada



Writing
Foreword Foreword

A Chapter by TaylSpin