Chapter 002

Chapter 002

A Chapter by Creepy Swine Guy

Chapter 2


     The headlights flashing across the curtains in the front picture window announced Doug's arrival. Kat unlocked the front door, got paper plates and napkins from the closet and two cans of coke from the refrigerator.


     “Hey babe,” she said when she heard the door open behind her.


     “How are we doing?” he asked, closing the door and wiping his wet feet.


     “I'm making pretty good progress,” she opened the sodas, walked over and took the Enzo's bag from him, “I figure we'll eat, try to get a couple more hours work in and then call it a night. How's that sound to you?”


     “That sounds like we won't get to bed until after midnight.”


     She looked up at him, paused and smiled a sarcastic smile.


     “Now who sounds like the old person?”


     “Hey! I embrace my oldness. You're the one fighting it,” he said glancing around the living room and kitchen, “so it doesn't look like you got much done.”


     “I was working in the basement most of the night.”

    

     “So is the basement done yet?”


     “Just about, I have one more corner to clear and the basement will be done. Then all that'll be left will be the boxes, there are a lot of boxes to bring upstairs.”


     “That sounds like my kind of job,” he said, biting into his meatball sub, “grunt work.”


     “That's why I love you, you're a reliable grunt. After we eat do you think you can take boxes right out to your truck and drive them over to the storage unit?”


     “Sure thing.”


     “Good,” she said, pushing a WalMart bag with a new lock in it across the table, “here's a lock for the unit. For God's sake please don't lock the keys inside.”


     Doug lifted his eyes from his sandwich to meet Kat's eyes and stared at her for twenty seconds with a smirk that warned of the coming sarcasm.


     “... said the woman who forgot the plan tonight.”


     “So how long will you be beating me over the head with that?”


     “Not sure, depends on how long it continues to be useful.”


     “You better be careful mister. If you cease to become useful, you might find yourself stored away in that storage unit,” they both chuckled and Kat snapped her fingers, “oh and one other thing. There's a box down there with a movie projector, a movie camera and one film. I think it's something to do with that Kennedy assassination stuff that you're so obsessed with. You can have it if you want it.”


     Doug's initial impulse was to take issue with being called obsessed, but the 'stuff' she mentioned prickled his curiosity. When all food was consumed, he brought said box upstairs and out to his Jeep Cherokee and sat it on the floor on the passenger side. He then proceeded to bring boxes up from the basement and load the black SUV until nothing more could be squeezed in. Then he went back up the sidewalk to the house and stuck his head inside where Kat was busily packing the last of the non-furniture items in the living room.


     “The truck is full,” he said, “I'm off to the storage unit.”


     “Are you coming back?”


     “Do you want me to?”


     “Well I really don't want to be here by myself. Why don't I call it a day. I can lock up and be ready to follow you to the storage unit in five minutes. Two of us can unload your truck faster than one.”


     “Sounds good. I'll grab a Coke and wait for you.”



© 2012 Creepy Swine Guy


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

i like how they play with each other..they're a sane couple..
Now..Doug is going to find out about an important discovery, ah?


Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

100 Views
1 Review
Added on November 18, 2012
Last Updated on November 18, 2012


Author

Creepy Swine Guy
Creepy Swine Guy

Central, NY



About
The Ten Commandments of the Writer's Cafe (King Swine Version). 1. Thou shalt not plagiarize. 2. Thou shalt not treat badly any writer based on their age, social status, ability or creative view.. more..

Writing
Erased Erased

A Chapter by Creepy Swine Guy