Ripples - Chapter 6: Dinner

Ripples - Chapter 6: Dinner

A Chapter by Creepy Swine Guy

      

 

       “Mommy, I found a dollar!” Zachary announced as he burst into the house with a small brown paper bag in hand.

 

       “And it appears to me that your daddy found a place for you to spend it.” the child’s mother commented satirically.


       “You know how kids are,” Jack defended himself, “they can’t wait to get rid of their money. He insisted on stopping at the Quick-Stop market on the way home to spend his fortune.”

 

       “I don’t suppose you care to go and pick me up the some ground beef so I can cook this family some dinner, do you?”

 

       “Don’t count me for dinner mom,” eighteen year-old Lisa said as she looked away from the cell phone that she was using to text, “me and Tina are going to Center City. Her mother gave her some money so we could go to McDonalds and then catch a movie.”

 

       “Well, perhaps you’d all like to hear my suggestion before you make any dinner plans.” Jack suggested with a sly grin.

 

       His wife Lynne had heard that teasing tone of voice before and this time it caused her to fix a suspicious gaze on him while she waited for the other shoe to fall.

 

       “Okay … out with it!”

 

       Jack’s face was impish as he stood and enjoyed her impatience. He let her stew just a bit longer while Zachary watched and learned.

 

       “Well when Zachary dragged me into the Quick-Stop, I bought a couple of instant lottery tickets.”

 

       “Yessss?” Lynne said, now filled with curiosity.

 

       “Let’s all go to Red Lobster for dinner. Lisa you can bring your friend along if you’d like.”

 

       "How much did you win?" Lynne demanded.

 

       "I'll tell you at dinner," Jack answered, "Lisa, are you and your friend in?"

 

       Lisa exchanged a few texts with her friend, and they were all in favor of Red Lobster. Lynne and Zachary didn’t require any convincing, so in less than an hour, they were all in Center City, placing orders of various combinations of lobster, shrimp and steak with their personable waiter, Chad.

 

       “I’m sorry,” Chad said, over the din of sirens outside, “could you repeat that?”

 

       “I’ll have the New York strip.” She repeated over the din.

 

       Eventually, the group's order was placed and everyone enjoyed cheerful conversation. But they did so over the continuous din of more sirens.

 

       “God! That must be one Hell of a fire.” Jack commented.

 

       “I hope everyone’s alright Dad.”

 

       “Me too Zachary.”

 

       Several tables over, a woman took off her jacket and joined several people who’d been there for a few minutes.

 

       “Where ya been? I was getting worried.” the older man asked her.

 

       “Oh geez!” Lisa’s friend Tina said, “That reminds me, I never let my mom know I was here. She’s going to McDonalds to pick us up in twenty minutes.”

 

       She pulled out her cell phone and shot off a quick text to her mother to let her know that she had changed plans and was at Red Lobster with Lisa and that they didn't need to be picked up. She put the phone back in her purse just in time. As she zipped her purse shut Chad returned with everyone’s dinner. The aroma of steak and seafood was overwhelming and soon everyone was enjoying their dinner. They weren’t five minutes into their dinner when a frantic looking woman burst through the front doors of the restaurant, ran to the Lounsberry’s table, threw her arms around Tina and began smothering her with kisses.

 

       “Mom!” Tina protested, as she peeled herself free of her manic mother, “what the heck are you doing!?”

 

       “Oh GOD Tina, you’re alright.”

 

       “Of course I’m alright Mom. What’s wrong with you?”

 

       “I’m sorry sweetie, I thought you were in McDonalds”

 

       “What if I was?”

 

       “Oh honey didn’t you hear? A commuter plane taking off from the airport fell out of the sky and hit the McDonalds; the whole place is in flames and they haven't found anyone alive. I've been down there for almost a half hour. I thought you were dead!” Kara Somach sobbed as she held tight to her daughter.
 



© 2011 Creepy Swine Guy


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

TAH,TAH,TAH....dramatic. I must read on.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

147 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 21, 2008
Last Updated on November 29, 2011


Author

Creepy Swine Guy
Creepy Swine Guy

Central, NY



About
The Ten Commandments of the Writer's Cafe (King Swine Version). 1. Thou shalt not plagiarize. 2. Thou shalt not treat badly any writer based on their age, social status, ability or creative view.. more..

Writing
Erased Erased

A Chapter by Creepy Swine Guy