Earth, wind and fire

Earth, wind and fire

A Chapter by LoreMaster

Mrs. Yaktu had no intention of retiring- not just yet. Not while her beloved pub and inn, Yaktu’s Eat All Thy Can Tavern was in full swing. She didn’t want to disappoint her regular customers nor let down those who have come to her to drown their sorrows. The cozy old tavern, now in its 100th year, was a sanctuary, a home, and a hideaway. As long as its services were needed, Yaktu’s tavern would stand. Although the barbarian chieftain’s offer to turn it into another branch of Dairy Queer was quite tempting, Mrs. Yaktu refused. Her “children” needed her. And one of them has arrived.

 
It was about closing time when the enormous wooden doors of the tavern shook slightly and creaked, as gentle fist pounded on it; the person outside obviously seeked shelter within its walls.
Mrs. Yaktu's massive leather boots rubbed the floor as she strode down and clumsily made her way among the masses of different customers and the variety was endless: Groups of dwarves merilly singing their eerie battle-songs; Gnomes trading their flashy contraptions to merchants who never paid attention to them; Towering minotaurs, growling and banging boisterously on the wooden tables, spilling their ales. Oh, it was the usual scenery at her home.
Finally, she bolted open the massive front doors with an equally massive hand.
Keira Seneca could pass as a corpse bride with her current state. Her skin was pasty and cold; dark rings formed under her eyes. During her travel to the tavern, she mustn’t have slept a wink. The usually cold demeanour was replaced by that of helplessness. Mrs. Yaktu was overcome with compassion and immediately sat the girl at the bar, as cruel winds whip the assassin's back. 
“Mrs…Mrs…” her reddish-brown tresses shielded her face and her hands trembled slightly. The girl seemed to have lost her voice, even her will to live.
Mrs. Yaktu, due to her strangely enormous size, possess a calm aura of warmth. Her slightly-torn robes hang loosely from her sides, making her look bigger than ever. An aged apron with a fading floral design was swinging to and fro from her massive neck. A rounded face, tarnished by age, with warm, beady eyes and a comforting smile was her most prominent feature.
“Tell ye what, luv, Ah’ll fix ye up a cuppa, and we’ll have a chat.” Mrs. Yaktu disappeared behind the counter and brewed two cups of hot tea. She gave one to Keira and placed her large hand on the distressed woman’s arm.
“I’m sorry about yer husband, dear,” Mrs. Yaktu cooed.
“How did you know immediately?” Keira inquired. Her shoulders were tense. Her hands held the cup, but she never put it to her lips.
Cercatori.” A shadow fell over the stocky woman’s face. Keira’s eyes widened. The Cercatori were the emperor’s seekers. From what the assassin heard, the ruthless creatures would search endlessly until they found their target. They had the ability to move through dimensions at incredible and inhuman speed.
“You saw them? With my husband?” Cercatori spelled trouble. Either death or eternal imprisonment waited.
“For a second, caught a glimpse of ‘em buggers. They move through dimensions ye recall?”
“Yes. Was he…” Keira’s voice trailed off. She felt he was alive, but she feared he was in pain.
“Livin’, yes. Seemed to be struggling,” Mrs. Yaktu had been startled when the odd group appeared in the midst of the tables and chairs. No one noticed, thank goodness. The presence of Cercatori in her tavern would have a traumatic effect on her customers if they had seen. Yaktu’s place was supposed to be a haven, not one of the dimension pathways for coldhearted killers.
Keira gripped her cup, her eyes blazing with anger. “If only I was there…” Her pale cheeks now tinted with scarlet. “I would’ve killed them. I would’ve killed them all.”
“Yer tea’s spilling, luv. Drink it up an’ pull yerself together,” Mrs. Yaktu said firmly. Keira obeyed and took a sip. The tea felt relaxing as it created a bliss sensation of peace. Warmth spread to her bloodstream, and indeed she felt calmer and more in control. The kind tavern owner had a way of making her feel better and more hopeful.
“You have many contacts. I will require help,” the assassin regained her no-nonsense voice and her determination. She would save her husband, no matter what would happen. And she would do it as soon as she have the opportunity.
“Ah’ve already got all the help ye need,” Mrs. Yaktu smiled and offered her a piece of bread. Keira remembered Shiela. Perhaps this was the said help the older woman was referring to.
“Where will I find this Shiela character?” She started to look around the mess inside the tavern. If she wanted her husband home at once, the time to plan was now.
“Got ahead of ye here. Be around here somewhere,” Mrs. Yaktu stood up and left to entertain more newcomers. The tavern was as popular as ever, and the assassin had to search the crowds herself. Before Keira left her seat, Mrs. Yaktu pulled her close and whispered in her ear “Queer speeds create sonic booms. That’ll be ‘em words.”
It had no sense at all. But she was too busy to care.
Keira decided to scan the first floor. She spotted a merry pixie fluttering with a mug much larger than herself. Too small to help, the assassin thought. Near the staircase leading to the tavern inn, a succubus could be seen cuddling up to a tall pale incubus. If she was Shiela, she would put the fate of Lesallia ahead of her own desires. Keira set her sight on a potential candidate – a sullen witch sitting alone in the corner. The witch was staring awkardly at the assassin, and motioned for her to come nearer. Maybe this is Shiela.
The witch was not making any sense either. Again, the assassin was too busy to care. She sat down next to the strange persona without establishing eye contact. But as she made her way to the witch, bodies of the customers stood like walls next to her size and finally, she reached the witch's location.
She was about to open her mouth to start a conversation but the witch was gone from where it was standing.
Suddenly, a strong grip on her right arm kept Keira from walking any nearer to the witch. The assassin’s first instinct was to attack with a push-knife hidden in her left sleeve. Yet, she was unable to move. Her body was frozen, and her eyes darted helplessly from side to side. She couldn’t see the person standing right behind her, but she felt its dark aura and its unusually hot breath. Instead of a voice, a growl like a mad dog's reached her ears.
“Queer speeds create sonic booms.”
For the first time in her career, the assassin became the assassinated.
This shiela was man! And a man of dark powers, no doubt. All of a sudden, the numbness associated with her immobility disappeared. With instinctual prowess, she quickly faced this ‘Shiela’ and locked eyes on a bearded man dressed in an Indian merchant’s clothes. He had no appearance of being Indian at all, but seemed rather Eurasian. There was something weird about him. His eyes, despite of his cheerful appearance, were cold. Too cold.
They sat at the bar and were instantly served drinks by the cheerful Mrs. Yaktu. The wizard was suddenly taken aback when the large woman pinched his cheek. He rubbed it with a hint of mild annoyance.
“Eat and drink as much as ye want, honey. Gotta fatten ye up fer the journey ahead of ye!” Before the man could protest, she disappeared behind the counter again. He glanced at his new partner and knew she disliked him.
“Surprised? A dark wizard to your aide.” The same growling voice emanated from him.  A naughty glint shone through his eyes as he carefully watched the assassin from head to toe, as though observing her. 
“Not really. I’ve dealt with worse,” her manner was cold and unfriendly. “Is Shiela your real name?”
“Of course not, or I would’ve put a hex on my parents years ago. You call me Vangz. I’m sure you’ve heard of me,” he observed her facial expression. Astonishment, especially fear, satisfied his hunger. Yet, there was no fear on her face. She had no time for that. Her husband’s life hung in balance, and she would work with whoever Mrs. Yaktu recommended.
“So you’re the fallen wizard.”
“Oh I wouldn’t consider myself fallen. Just wayward,” he was amused with this woman. His victory would be sweeter if he overpowered the confident lady. "Impressed with my illusion skills?" He needed to show her who had the upper hand in this mission.
So, the sullen witch was just a ploy to draw her close. Impressive.
 
 
 
 
“What’s it in for you?” the assassin cant take any more arrogance. She was sure he was up to no good. The glint in his eyes and the way he kept his gaze on her made her shiver.
“Some tomes. I’m a bookworm,” he had an off-hand sense of humour and an irritating way of hinting. “Self-help books.”
“Tome of the seven arcana elements! Why you –“ If he possessed those tomes, he could easily use them for self-destruction.
“So you do know something,” he snickered.
“Are you insinuating I’m a fool?” the enraged assassin exclaimed. If not for Mrs. Yaktu, she would slit his throat right there and then.
“I don’t insinuate,” he replied coolly. “I make direct accusations.”
Mrs. Yaktu returned with plates laden with pastries and fruits. “Ah see ye’ve been talkin’ lots. I bet ye' lots like each otha' already! But ye gotta wait fer yer other little helper before ye plan!” She said heartilly.
“There’s another helper coming?” the assassin stood up and almost hugged the tavern owner in gratitude. Keira wished the new ally would be as determined as she – without a fetish for hexes and ‘self-help’ books.
“The bugger’s late again!” Mrs. Yaktu pounded the bar. The sudden force on the poor piece of wood nearly spilled a shocked vampire’s Bloody Mary drink. “Ah knew Ah should’ve – oh wait! There ‘e is! The silly lad!”
Vangz the dark wizard and Keira the assassin followed Mrs. Yaktu’s gaze and saw a brown centaur stomping on a poor, defenseless elf. Cheering the centaur on was a drunk young man swaying back and forth on a table. He looked ridiculous in his multi-coloured outfit of bright yellow and orange.
The assassin groaned. Of all people that could help, Mrs. Yaktu had to recruit a jester.
 


© 2008 LoreMaster


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

226 Views
Added on October 14, 2008
Last Updated on December 12, 2008
Previous Versions


Author

LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Philippines



About
Each Lore contains a story, And each story is a Pandora's box I have bound my soul to each word that came to pass I embody the words, and my spirit is the pen that writes I am the lifeform t.. more..

Writing