The separation begins

The separation begins

A Chapter by LoreMaster

A vicious roar reverberated throughout the forest as disgruntled birds flew away in panic, and the echo reached the assassin’s and the jester’s ears; a roar that definitely came from no other than the dark wizard.

 
A flush of relief swept the both of them as they started to assume the battle was over, or was it?
. . .
A deep, cold voice, like a muffled growl spoke at the scene of the supposed victory.
“Damn you, Sadism, you didn’t have to do that to show me what you can do.” There was pleasure in the voice instead of mild anger. “I know you can match that.” Then it laughed with the same disturbing sound that was its voice.
The speaker bent over and outstretched a gargantuan rotting arm, as black as death, as putrid as a plague; it reached for an appendage that was torn from its body, lifted it up and examined it with mild curiosity. It was its arm, deliberately decimated as it blocked an incoming spell just a few seconds ago. The abomination grinned at it with rotting teeth and then it attached the blasted arm to where it belonged. The arm twitched like a dying snake and then froze rigid; then the sound of grinding bone and flesh resonated once again, as the arm regenerated itself and became useful again.
The monstrosity now shifted its attention from its arm to the Root forest, which was supposed to be destroyed by it.
“Damn. Not complete, but satisfying. If Sadism hadn’t interfered.” It said with demonic pleasure.
From where it stood, what remained of Root forest came into view. Almost all the trees were burnt, most of the valleys were deformed by the fiery boulders, there was smog everywhere, the presence of destruction is clear, but there remained one peaceful sight, a perfectly untouched meadow, as though it was shielded by magic, flowers and shrubs and the green grass stood peacefully among the burning forest.
Now there was mild anger in the abomination, its red eyes glowed with agitation.
“Now where did Sadism took the mortal?” it said to itself, as it searched for the body of the dark wizard.
But there was only rubble and dirt, nothing more.
“Hmm. The human must have been thrown away from the blast he made. Sadism must have killed the puny mortal.” It said. “My duty is done here.”
As it took one last glimpse at the untouched meadow, the hulking figure of the cercatori started to disintegrate in black smoke.
. . .
“Now Yaktu said we were supposed to be here.” Came a gentle voice from not afar.
“I think I heard something just a while ago, though I’m not sure. I think it came from the other side of the forest.” A female voice, replied.
“What do you think, Mr. . .umm, how do you pronounce your name again?” the gentle voice spoke again, beckoning to a third person, who was still covered in his cloak.
The mysterious persona took another piece of parchment and without writing on it, gave it to the gentle paladin who was talking to him.
Say it as it is.” It said.
“Very well, umm, mr. Djeembehn, what do you think? Are we in the right direction? The forest is getting confusing.” Radley the paladin said cheerfully.
Again, Djeembehn the mysterious person gave him another parchment that read, “Dont worry, I know the place, just follow me.”
“Oh why didn’t you say so?” Radley said excitedly. “Very well then, let’s be off.”
Djeembehn walked ahead without saying a word and Radley followed, his metal armor clanging loudly.
“Ms. Reina, its time to go.” The paladin noticed her to be somewhat frozen in time, a sad look on her face.
“Are you ok, ms. Reina?”
“I’m. . . I’m fine. Thank you, Radley.” Came the reply, but clearly she was not fine at all. But she started to walk ahead of Radley and followed Djeembehn, nonetheless, Radley kept up with them.
The paladin admired the breathtaking view of a huge mountain in front of them, covering the next forest ahead, which they were supposed to go through. As a paladin, he is a lover of all natural things, and nature is the best work of the gods, as he deeply believed. He closed his eyes and listened to the chirping of the birds, the softness of the earth, the magic of nature, and as he believed, that is real magic, as opposed to Arcane magic, or the “devil’s magic” as he called it.
Then suddenly, Djeembehn passed a piece of parchment to him without looking and stopping.
By the way, we are at Branch forest, the mountain in front of us separates this forest from the other three, Root forest, Trunk forest and Leaf forest. Now we have to go past Root forest to reach Rottoundale.”
After reading, Radley crumpled the parchment and continued admiring the forest, his heavy figure treading happily in the forest floor.
I recognize this place. This is like a dream; Reina’s thoughts were lost thinking. This place is familiar, but I cant remember, why cant I remember? I felt like I have been here. But when? Why?
Suddenly, flashes started to enter Reina’s mind.
She was sitting in a meadow, the warm grass cushioning her hand, while her other hand was being held by someone. . .
Then darkness . . .
She opened her eyes and saw a male wizard, he still has his wizard uniform on, resting his head in her arms, lying down next to her, the moonlight illuminating his face. He had short but messy hair, his observant eyes were peacefully closed, as though he was wishing the moment will just freeze.
She caressed his face and felt a tear drop down in hers.
“LOOK OUT!” A gentle scream yanked her back to reality. It took her some moment to realize what was happening. Djeembehn stopped walking, Radley was poised and was looking towards the sky.
A roaring sound filled the air as she took a glimpse of what Radley was looking at. And for sure, it was enough to yank her back to reality.
A huge flaming boulder, about half the size of the mountain ahead of them was falling from the sky directly at them and it was rushing faster than she had anticipated. There was virtually no time to hide.
Startled, she looked at her companions.
The cloak of Djeembehn flashed beneath the thick shrubs and disappeared from view. Radley was shouting at her but she couldn’t hear him.
The commotion scattered their party and Radley was too far to save her, and she didn’t have much time herself to hide.
“MS. REINA, HIDE!!!!” Radley screamed with all her voice, at this time, Reina heard him and dashed to the only way out, opposite of him, deeper in the forest, hoping the trees would nullify the impact.
Radley took a last glimpse of the falling rock, and rolled into the thick forest growth. Even with thick armor, he was agile as he rolled into a narrow ravine, straight into a forest cave.
As he hurriedly sprinted towards the shelter, he could feel the meteor’s approach.
Only a few steps away, I hope they make it safe!
As he slipped through the cave, the falling rock from the heavens finally reached its target. Radley could feel the ground shaking like a terrible tremor as he put his back on a stone wall. A deafening sound of total carnage shook his insides, rattling his armor. He held on tight as the shockwave of the meteor shook the fragile cave that he squeezed himself into.
Gods of the clouds, guide my companions, shelter them with your mercy, I beg you.
 


© 2008 LoreMaster


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

130 Views
Added on October 14, 2008


Author

LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Philippines



About
Each Lore contains a story, And each story is a Pandora's box I have bound my soul to each word that came to pass I embody the words, and my spirit is the pen that writes I am the lifeform t.. more..

Writing