Chapter 2: One the Road

Chapter 2: One the Road

A Chapter by TomEYou

Chapter 2: The Road to Ba'ath

 

Jarl woke with a sheen of sweat. He was breathing hard. What a nightmare! It was dark. No windows. The only light came the foot of the door. He was alone. In a small, plain room. An inn. Of course. Kell always let his employees share a room at an inn when things were going well, as they were not. Trommel. An Trommel village inn. That strip of light was bright. Is it sun up all ready? Thad's bed was empty. Did they leave without me? Jarl jumped up, found his boots and began stamping into them, not even bothering with a candle. Jarl always slept in his clothes, always ready to get up and go.

As if cued, the door opened and Master Kellump entered, saying. "About time, lad. Hurry up. I want to be on the road by sunrise in half an hour. I want to make a stop in Ba'ath and reach Ga'Jann before it rains." Kellump was all ready heading toward the stairs before Jarl finished Stomping his other boot on, mumbling something about Thad not waking the boy. Of course they didn't leave me behind. What was I thinking.

Relieved to not be left, not that they would, Jarl fell in behind his employer at the stairs, the dark dream forgotten. Thad often chose not to wake Thad, something about thinking he needed the extra sleep. It usually got them both in trouble, but Jarl appreciated it more often than not. "Master Kellump...err, Kell. Um, do you think I could drive today?" The man preferred Kell but Jarl still slipped when embarrassed or tired, even after three weeks working for him. Right now jarl was both. Well, still waking up at least. He yawned, glad Kell did not see.

This morning Kell had on his wool jerkin, dyed dark blue, with matching pants tucked into his favorite highly polished boots. Of average height, which meant a good hand shorter than Jarl, the large man was as almost as portly as he was stout, Kell often boasted about going it alone, just him and Maronna, but that years ago. Today, Kell had two large wagons that he somehow managed to keep full. He called it going alone because Maronna did not help with the wagons or the sales, and only sometimes with the horses. Maronna disliked being called a guard but that as what she did for the old peddler, some fifteen years now. If she had chosen what to call herself, she never said.

Kell just chuckled at the request, starting down the stairs. "You know the rules Jarl. You only get to drive when you get up on time."

Jarl replied, dejectedly. "Right. Ok." He yawned again. They reached the bottom of the stairs, facing the door leading to the stables.

"Thad says you don't sleep at night. I can't imagine why since I work you hard enough during the day." Seeing Jarl's sadden face, Kell added "Jarl. You're a good kid. Loyal and hard working. I hope you can have your own business, someday. But you'll never succeed if you can't keep your mind on the job and you can't do that if you don’t' get a decent night's. Do we understand each other?"

"Yes, Master Kellump." Jarl was trying to put a good face on things. Kell just shook his head.

The big man put a beefy hand on Jarl's shoulder, clearly prepared for another lecture on more of the same. He opened his mouth to say something then sighed before saying. "Thad is all ready preparing the wagons. Go help him." Jarl trotted to and out the door, passing the kitchen with its smell of breakfast cooking, making his stomach grumble. No hot breakfast today. Today, I am not going to fall asleep. Perhaps I can work on carving that man.

The stable lanterns were lit, twelve stalls in all, though only five were occupied. April and Bonnet were near the front. Dancer and Frederick were out all ready. Thad must have woken well before him, probably with time for a hot meal. Jarl supposed he should be glad for the extra sleep. He went for April. The two stable boys were coming in through the stable doors. One was slightly taller than Jarl but with shorter hair. The other was a full two hands shorter with darker hair extending to his shoulders. The shorter also had a crooked nose, like it had been broken once. They appeared sleepy and grumpy, even sleepier than Jarl. They glanced at Jarl as they went for the two remaining horses, for April, actually. Or perhaps just the stall by the door. The taller stable boy had his hand on the gate first. Seeing this, the younger came up short, then went to prepare the other mare, mumbling something under his breath. Jarl just shrugged and went to prepare the wagon. They would have the harness and collar and everything on when they brought the horses out.

Outside the stars were hidden by clouds. It had been threatening rain for days now, yet somehow holding off. It was still mostly dark, not yet dawn. Jarl found Thad finishing up with his wagon, Dancer and Frederick was all ready strapped in place. Thad waved in greeting and Jarl smiled back. Thad never said anything. Kell claimed he never had, mute since birth. At least Kell never heard him say anything. Thad could hear better than most though and made up for his lack of speech with a wide variety of gestures. Somehow, he communicated using gestures with Kell and Meronna almost as well as anyone else. Thad was a slim man, several years older than Jarl but still young enough to be Kell's son. They way they carried on sometimes you'd think he was.

The slim man made like Jarl was still sleeping and laughed in his odd, grunting way that was somehow joyful. "Yes. I'm awake. Ha-ha." Grinning, he set to helping Thad by examining the wheels for cracks, loose spokes, worn axles, and so on. It would not do to lose a wheel on the road, far from any town or village. The wagons were large, large enough for a horse to lay down inside, if you could get one up there. It had sideboards two feet high. The wheels were easily four feet tall on thick axles. Thad was checking the canvas cover that protected Kell's merchandise. That cloth stretched over four long and curved slats and provided enough room for a man to stand under, a short man, Jarl had to stoop. Still more than room to sleep under when they get caught out in the rain, something he'd done once since joining Kell.

Jarl yawned. April was being brought to the other wagon. Jarl knew why he was sleepy. He was up late last night thinking, again. Sometimes he cannot stop thinking. He was remembering his family in Wilfreng. It was late summer now, back home. They would be preparing to harvest the wheat and potatoes. Then they'd plant pumpkins. Nothing like Grandma's pumpkin pie. He finished checking the wheels then went to the other wagon and started them. The young man guided April into position. Bonnet was coming out now. The young men said nothing the whole time. It was like that, sometimes.

Jarl yawned, again. He wished he could make himself get up on time. The others seemed to always get up when Kell said they should be. Jarl laid awake all night once because he couldn't sleep. By the end of that night he heard Meronna and Kell moving about and Thad woke at about the same time, despite there being almost no dawn light yet. It was like they just knew.

Both horses were now in place. Jarl went to examining the wheels again. He squatted down to examine the spokes, leaning against the wheel. I really could use another hour's sleep. Thad bumped him again. Jarl had nearly fallen asleep leaning against the first wheel. Thad acted like he was kicking something, suggesting he might have to kick Jarl next time. He grinning while doing it to show it was a jest. It was true, though. Jarl was a very hard sleeper sometimes. He had got bruised ribs once from when Maronna really did kick him awake. At least bouncing in the wagon kept him awake, most days. Jarl nodded, examined the wheel again then moved to the next. Thad grabbed Jarl by the arm and started jumping, indicating for Jarl to do the same. That seemed to help.

It was getting brighter out. Dawn was breaking, or it would be. Jarl finished with the wheels. Thad was checking the tarp. Only thing left was to make sure the merchandise was all secured. He climbed into the back of the wagon. Plow spades, shovels. wood axes, lanterns, tents with spikes and rope, wedges for splitting logs and making planks, large kettles, a wood burning stove, horseshoes, nails, hoes, various other large items. A large variety, all just in case someone needed a replacement or was building a new home or farm. The other wagon contained pots and pans, sewing equipment, door and window hinges, small kettles, spits, metal eating utensils, plates, cups, knives, pails, various things for mending and repairing. There was little room for anything else though if need be, room could be made for two men to lie down out of the rain.

Kell spoke from outside. "Thank you, lads. You must be new. Here's five coppers each. Remember when I come through in two months" Jarl stuck his head out just in time to see the boys smile their appreciation, claiming he was their favorite. Most customers just tipped a copper, if that.

Maronna led her horse out from the stables. She was not a beautiful woman by any means, but she was loyal to Kell. King Wrothl might keep the roads fairly clear but she still had to drive off a would be thief now and then, twice that Jarl had seen. She was short and wiry with dark brown hair just above her shoulders. She dressed like a man in plain brown, not much different from Jarl and Thad's, easier to sneak, she said. She was fast when she needed to be. And skilled. Jarl watched her take a sword from a thief like it was a toy, pinning the fellow to the wagon while he begged for his life. She climbed up on Tempest, a sleek, fast roan. Not for the first time Jarl wondered if she named the horse that as a joke, considering her own temper, however rare it might show. Kell refused to say. If Thad knew he wasn't saying much.

"Good job, lads." He climbed up on April and Bonnet's wagon. "Let's go."

Meronna moved out ahead of them, eyeing both ends of the street then heading east. She liked to roam ahead, looking for trouble. She would wait on the hilltops until Kell saw her then move to the next one.

Jarl settled in beside Kell. The merchant handed him something large wrapped in simple rags and grinned. It smelled like bacon but felt like cheese and rolls. Jarl smiled. It was still warm, too. "Thanks, Kell. I'll do better tomorrow."

"I sure you will, lad. I'm sure you will." Kell replied, not seeming to believe it. "I'm sure you will."

The mares pulled the wagon out into the street, heading east. Jarl looked back to see Thad following. They went slowly. Kell liked to give everyone one last chance to buy something before he left. Another merchant, well another peddler, Kell was not really a merchant, the kind that trades between the cities of Rombol and Anappon, but he wanted to and liked to think of himself that way. Another peddler might not come by for weeks and sometimes things broke at untimely moments. There were people about, moving here and there, beginning their day, but no one approached them. Jarl looked back to the west. No one coming from that way either.

He could see the top of Trommel's Living Oak back there, lined by the cloudy skies. Living Oak's were the most majestic trees in the world. He longed for a good long nap under it. Perhaps not the tallest trees, but they were definitely the widest. Their limbs and roots extended half again as far out as the tree was tall. Their branches seemed to twist and turn, sometimes around other branches. You never saw them move, yet sometimes you could swear they were not in the same position they were a few moments earlier. This made it unwise to build close to them. The roots were strong and sometimes grew very fast, causing a damage to home in days. The larger limbs were rarely bothered by the wind but they could still knock a hole in a wall without warning. People said they never harmed anyone though. No one seemed to understand how, but just took that as a part of what the tree was. Jarl couldn't help wondering why. Despite all that children always played safely under its protecting branches, it was the safest spot in a storm contrary to most other trees, and when you slept under a Living Oak you woke refreshed. Jarl enjoyed his naps there, that's for sure.

"Jarl!"

"Yes. I'm awake." He replied, almost falling off the bench as he sat up. They were outside of town. He had been daydreaming again.

Kell just shook his head. He did that a lot. "Not sleeping, I think. Daydreaming again. You weren't responding. Now, eat your breakfast. It's getting cold."

"Ah. Ok." Jarl replied, and sheepishly unwrapped the cloth he did find lots of rolls and cheese and one potato. And four strips of bacon on the bottom. Mmmm. There was even a baked potato with some butter leaking out a slit through the top. Jarl realized the bottom of the cloth was slightly greasy, and now so was his leg. Kell insisted on keeping to his schedule, unless he could make another sale, but he always made sure everyone ate well.

Kell waved at familiar faces, saying hello to those close enough, verifying whether they needed this or that. No one did, today. When they were finally outside of town the sky was bright blue. Kell picked up the pace, and he started his usual rambling way of talking. "Well, that's that. Let's hope it doesn't rain before we reach Ga'Jann. Don't really like traveling the mountain roads in the rain, or even afterward, due to the slick mud. There was one time when one of the wheels slipped on edge of a road with only a very steep hill on the other side. Thought we were going over for sure but the girls managed to keep us on the road. That was years ago, of course. Long before even Thad joined us. Thankfully it rarely gets that bad. Why..."

Jarl just nodded. Kell could talk all day, and usually did. Jarl liked the let him, sometimes listening sometimes letting his thoughts ramble. He glanced back to make sure Thad was following. Not that he needed to. Thad had never fallen behind that Jarl knew of. Kell had him look every so often, anyway. It was part of Jarl's job. If something happened, Thad could not yell for help. Turning back to the road he kept on eating. "I really was hoping the skies would clear up today. Ga'Jann's Fist is quite a sight. Lots of stories trying to explain why it looks like a fist. My favorite ones claim a deity by the name of Ga'Jann, from ages past, punched his fist up through the ground. You know Shurm would never do anything like that. He cares for this land. Would never damage it or us if it can be helped. I've heard a few explanations that had Ga'Jann attempting to take over. Others say He was punishing His people. If that was true, where is He now? Either way..."

Jarl let Kell talk while he ate, no longer really listening. He finished the bacon and the potato and ate most of the rolls and cheese. Kell had made sure to get a large package just for Jarl. Everyone said he ate a lot, even for sixteen, even for a tall, sixteen year old man. Still, he failed to finish off the entire bundle.

"Ga'Jann is best known for its iron ore. I wish I could get the contract for carrying that to the cities. Lots of money there. Why if..."

They topped the high hill and Jarl looked at the horizon, examining the world from this high perch. There were only more hills, of course. Peering back at Thad he waved. Trommel was all ready beyond view. The clouds were getting darker. Jarl was certain it would rain sometime today and he said so.

Kell went on. "Can't hurt to keep hoping it doesn't. Still, it often does close to the Boar's Back. Especially on this side of them." The other side of the hill was steeper. Kell slowed the horses. "Sometimes the rain comes in hard and fast here at the Boar's Back. You know how they got that name, right?" Kell answered without waiting for a response. "It's said that they look like the spiky, hairy, yet somehow lumpy spine of a great boar's back. You'd never know it for looking at them. Supposedly, someone climbed Ga'Jann's fist as far as..."

Jarl stopped listening. He'd heard Kell tell this story before. Instead, he noted how landscape was changing, particularly the trees. The oak, pecan, walnut, olive, apple, peach, and so on gave way to trees with green, needle like leaves. Kell was talking about the time they had to huddle under the wagons because the wind had destroyed the canvas covering the wagons and how he lost a lot of merchandise that day. "Kell?"

"...and after the worst of it passed we had to hurry to the next town while it was still raining, to get the wagons inside and try to save some of it."

"Kell."

"Had to let it dry overnight and... Oh, yes. What is it, lad?"

"I was just wondering what these trees are."

Looking around Kell answered. "Those are pines and fir, mostly, some cedar. They stay green all year long. Let me tell you, cedar makes great smelling wood. I especially like those with red in the grain. I always pickup..."

Jarl reached in the back and pulled out the latest wood log he was trying to carve. His previous attempts all looked strange, not really like a carving at all. Jarl looked back at Thad and showed it to him.. Thad was very diligent when driving, paying close attention and always maintaining a good distance. He always acknowledged Jarl, too, with a wave or a nod. This time he just grinned, just waiting to see his latest work. Thad claimed that Jarl was improving, but Jarl couldn't see it. Carving while riding was not easy, but it kept him busy while Kell talked. Kell claimed Thad never knew what he was carving until he was half done, if then. "I'm lucky to carve a steak." Kell say and laugh at himself. The peddler considered it a good joke since steak and stake both sound alike and both are fairly easy to carve. Thad would laugh, too. Jarl laughed the first time but he failed to understand how the same joke told over and over was still funny.

Jarl noticed Maronna on the next hill. Everything was fine. Verifying Kell saw her, she turned Tempest back up the road. They would see her again on the next hill or two. If not, they were stop and start preparing for an attack. Kell claimed to never get attacked. Then he would knock on the side of the wagon for luck that it would remain that way. Jarl went back to his carving. He still wasn't sure how this was supposed to work, but he just kept cutting away. His first attempts ended as nothing more than fat stakes. He made a fair attempt at a ball. It had small, tough knobs that might be taken for broken appendages and a what might be a mouth of sorts far too large for any normal beast. It wasn't really a ball either, more like a squashed ball that was still capable of rolling. It was just an attempt, anyway. Come to think of it, when he had tried to improve on one of the stakes, it ended up with neatly placed holes that from a distance looked like windows in a building. But who would build something to look like a giant stake? This one looks like it might be a man except it's square. A square man? It was not like he wanted to carve these things.

He was following Thad's advice, as best as Kell could interpret. Thad said not to try to force the wood to be any one thing but to cut where it seems the wood wants to be cut. So that's what Jarl did. Kell did not care for the works. Said no one would want to buy them. Thad seem think they were far better than an unskilled carver should make, but he stuck to that one main instruction claiming the best works were never planned, and his works were really good.

They were coming up the next hill, steeper than the first one. Jarl couldn't help wondering why the land changed so quickly when the plains hills were so low and long. "If it weren't for the clouds you'd be getting a great view of the Fist from here. In fact, right there at that fallen log is where you know it's not just another hill." Jarl marked the spot in his mind. "If we could see it, it would appear to move with us rather with the hills. That's because it's so far away. I remember when I took my wife Clarria with me for the first time, before we had, um, before we had Frederick."

Kell seemed to deflate some. He always did when he mentioned his first born. Kell never spoke of what happened. Maronna refused to talk about it either, saying only that it was Kell's story to tell. She did say the man took a year off from travelling while he and his family mourned. That was two years ago. Supposedly, Kell was getting better but he still tended to go quiet for a while whenever he was reminded of him.

Jarl looked at the sky again. The clouds were getting darker yet. They were traveling more or less downhill now, along a meandering path that wound first left then right. Jarl went back to his carving, wondering what had happened and reflecting on the how different things were here next to the mountains.

After awhile Kell spoke up, looking like he was in at least a slightly better mood. "Lad, did you finish all of that food?"

"Got some left, Kell." He replied.

"Ha! Finally figured out how much you can eat! Apparently you're not a bottomless pit after all." Jarl laughed at the joke and Kell joined him.

The road continued to wind back and forth as well as up and down. Some of those ups and downs were steep, making the horses struggle to get up them. Those clouds were starting to churn. It was going to be a good storm. Jarl commented "I hope we get to Ba'ath soon."

Kell, still being mostly quiet, looked at Jarl then at the sky. He said "Yeah, you're probably right, looking at those clouds, but I don't smell it, yet. You've got a good nose, though. Perhaps, you're right."

Jarl kept his thoughts to himself. All three of them had doubted Jarl the last time, but had it rained three hours later. Kell didn't sense till it was almost there.

Reaching the bottom of a particularly steep hill they found Maronna and a split in the road. A sharp left led to Ba'ath, according to the sign, following the ridge to the east, the other went somewhat straight before curving to the right. Kell stopped and looked at the sky, pondering something. Jarl heard Thad stop behind them, waiting patiently. "What's up? Is something wrong?"

Kell gestured to be quiet. Maronna spoke first, stating "The roads are all clear. I assume you're wondering whether to go to Ba'ath or try to make it to Ga'Jann before the rain hits."

"You have the right of it. It's a fair bet we can't do both. I'm thinking we probably can't make Ga'Jann anyways. Besides, I hate to leave anyone without a chance to get new supplies, even if it delays us another day." Sitting up he added "We go to Ba'ath. We should get there in time for dinner." Maronna nodded and turned Tempest east to lead the way. 



© 2012 TomEYou


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

213 Views
Added on October 5, 2012
Last Updated on October 17, 2012


Author

TomEYou
TomEYou

Denton, TX



About
Writing my first story with what I think is a unique world design. Aristotle: The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. more..

Writing