Chapter 3: Ba'ath

Chapter 3: Ba'ath

A Chapter by TomEYou

The road east was no different from the road they left. This time Ga'Jann did not get any closer, but Jarl did see more and more mountains to the east. They were forming more or less a line north and south, with Ga'Jann the western most one. An hour later they were coming up on another bend in the road, this one appearing to take a wide turn around a steep hill. There was sounded like rustling leaves up there. Kell spoke even as Jarl was raising his hand to point it out. "Children, likely. The village of Ba'ath is just on the other side of the hill." Kell was perking up. "I'll lay odds that they're running to announce our arrival even now." Kell chuckled, smiling. Still not in the mood for idle chatter, but at least he was no longer sulking.

Jarl looked at the sky for the umpteenth time. It was getting cooler as well. Kell noticed it, too. "I can smell it now. I guess you were right. It's going to rain in the next half hour or so." Kell might have perked up at the knowledge of customers but he was still pensive at being held up by the rain.

Jarl asked "Will there be a place to put the wagons while it rains?"

"Yes, but hopefully we won't need it. It's likely to rain hard, if this wind is any indication, but not so bad that it's going to tear the canvas. Ba'ath's valley is like a large bowl. It tends to keep most of the harsher weather out." Glancing pensively at the sky, again, the big man added "though we're unlikely to see much of them today."

Putting the carving of the man away, Jarl took advantage of the pause. "I remember. The clouds will hide the peaks. Will we be able to see them at all today?"

"Maybe. It can be hard to tell, even this close."

The followed the slow turning path for another fifteen minutes or so and then the trees just seemed to fall back to expose a village unlike any Jarl had seen so far. It appeared as tiny as Wilfreng. Perhaps it was. Jarl eyes were drawn a large building with a steep roof made of what looked like whole logs rather than boards, like most homes, shops, and inns were made of. The strange inn?... was more than two stories high, though with that roof Jarl was unsure if it really had a second floor or just a very large attic. It was easily the most prominent feature in Ba'ath. It sat right in the center of a wide circle of homes, and some shops, signs blowing in the wind, all of which had that steep roof design. Around the log building was a wide expanse of well cared for grass, as green as new spring. There was a tall, log pole off to one side. No, it was a tree stripped bare, according the nearby exposed roots. The road leading in split around that green leading to the shops and homes and on behind that odd building, apparently toward their Living Oak. From their angle, the tree seemed to frame the building, whose peak was nearly as high as the tree.

Kell said. "You keep staring at it like that you might just knock it down." Jarl felt his cheeks warm. He glanced to the Kell, who just grinned. "It's called a lodge. It's much like an inn. They're fairly common around the mountain villages. The roof was designed to let the ice and snow fall off. This high up, it gets cold earlier and stays cold longer. Ice and snow can just keep piling up until it gets heavy enough to cave in a regular roof."

Jarl said "I don't see Maronna."

Kell waved to a growing group of villagers gathering in front of the lodge. "There'd be more people if not for the coming rain. Maronna? She should be inside obtaining our rooms."

The peddler waved, smiling, and yelled. "Jorg! How are you?"

"I'm fine, thank you for asking." Yelled a tall, stocky man in a very loud bass. Jorg was grinning too. when they were closer, he added. "Kell, bring those wagons around back. No need to sit out here in the rain." That said amidst more greetings like "Hi Kell!"; "It's so good to see you."; "What news have you?"; as well as requests for various pots, pans, sewing needles, and so on. It started sprinkling. "Folks! Folks! Let the good man by. We all need to get in out of the rain! Make way! Make way!"

In short order they were waiting at the stable doors behind the lodge. That circular street did go all the way around. The next largest road led away from behind the building. Kell pointed out that was where most of the farms here could be found. There were others as well, though harder to reach from town.

The rain started while the stable boy was still opening the stable doors, slow at first but it was a downpour shortly after Thad had his wagon in. He just laughed, clearly grateful to be inside even if he was a little wet. Tempest was all ready in a stall with her saddle still on. She never let anyone else care for the horse, with good reason, he tended to bite.

There were more requests for news. Jorg spoke over everyone, raising his arms. "Folks! Folks!" the stable quieted down. "That's better. Now, this storm looks like it's going to last." Turning his head to the peddler "I guess you're going to spend the night, right, Kell?"

Maronna came out of the lodge, nodded to Kell that everything was arranged, then went to get Tempest settled in.

"Hmm, it's never a good idea to travel these roads in the rain. Guess we don't have much choice." Kell sighed, attempting to hold back a grin.

"Don't make it sound like I'm forcing you." Jorg sounded somewhat insulted yet grinning. "Besides, this night's on me. The rooms, mind you, not the food. I know how much you and Thad eat. Maronna's can pack it away, too. That tall young man there still looks pretty young and everyone knows young men like that can eat enough for five others." Jorg winked at Jarl with that last part. "Meals you have to pay for." Smiling, he slapped Kell the shoulder hard to make the big man stumble a bit.

Kell returned the shoulder slap but Jorg hardly budged. "I'll take it. Now let's head inside."

The two old friends, by the townsfolk, went inside, Leaving Jarl and Thad to finish up with the wagons and horses. The two men helped the stable boy with the horses. Kell always insisted on making sure the horses were well cared for no matter how much he liked an inn.

Maronna closed the stall door on Tempest. She was not quite smiling but it seemed her usual frown was almost gone. Jarl asked her "What's going on? It's raining, we're going to be held up at least a day, and yet everybody is in a good mood. In fact, you're in the best mood I've seen you in. I don't get it."

The normally reserved woman actually smiled, a little. "Kell has news. Out of the way villages like Ba'ath rarely see anyone. They don't know what's going in the world until someone comes to visit, even if only to peddle their wares. The fact that we're sort of trapped here means more time for people to hear news of the outside. Plus, as remote as Ba'ath is, it's probably the safest place in the entire realm, which means I, too, can relax. Hurry up or your dinner will get cold." Then she turned and went inside. Jarl heard Jorg speaking, ordering his people to give Kell the chance to speak.

Three pairs of hands made short work and the two men were soon inside. Kell was up on a soap box talking. Maronna had a table a roaring fire. A plump but cute barmaid, a good two hands shorter than Jarl with dark brown hair and a touch of red in her cheeks, was placing four steaming plates. She spoke to the table "Call for Attrina if you need anything." She gave Jarl a wink as she turned back to the kitchens.

Jarl hesitated just a second before sitting at the table. Without looking up Maronna said "I'd forget about her if I were you. Jorg's very protective of his daughter."

Jarl replied "Uh, sure. I understand. Thanks." Not like it matter. He was never able to talk to girls, with the exception Pelfa, and it hurt too much think about her. Jarl focused on the food. Lamb, potatoes, beets, and some vegetables he probably wouldn't eat. The two men sat down and dug in. Kell was really getting into his story. His plate was going to get cold, not for the first time either. He liked an audience and apparently Ba'ath provided an good one. "...and now they're removing most of the old wall in Rombol. People speculate as to whether or not Lord Ashlin remove all of it because there are a few areas have homes and shops were built right against both sides of it. That could be a problem for..."

"I thought Lord Ashlin died. That's what Yorgl told us last month." That was from a woman bouncing a toddler on her knee, the little girl giggling as she bounced. Yorgl was Kell's competition. They tended to follow each other but somehow had it worked out that they rarely entered the same place during the same month. They only saw each other in Rombol, and then rarely. Apparently, they didn't like each other.

Kell replied "Oh he's fine. What happened was..." Kell paused for a sip of water and his audience all seemed to lean forward a little. "that Lord Ashlin had bronchitis. It got so bad that everyone was certain he die. I did not hear about it myself till more than nearly two months ago. It had him in bed for weeks. Thankfully, he recovered by the time I reached Rombol last month."

Two women clapped and many others were talking low, speculating over what they thought about it and what might have happened if he had died. Maronna said, speaking low enough so only Jarl and Thad could hear, "He certainly enjoys being the center of attention." That with something half way between a smirk and a smile on her face

A tall, gaunt man in wrinkles clothes, with a wiry beard and unkempt hair, stood up, speaking loudly. "Have you heard anything about..."

A large woman beside the ragged man yanked on his arm, trying to pull him back to his seat. She attempted to whisper and failed. "Shut up, Burl. He doesn't want to hear about your drunken delusions!" Others in the crowd were calling for him to keep quiet or to lay off. One man called for him go home and sleep it off. A skinny woman near Jarl grumbled loud enough for Jarl to hear "Please, no more talk about monsters!" He was not sure if anyone else heard it over all that noise.

Jorg raised his arms again. He said in a voice that was loud enough to be heard over the din. "Folks! Folks! Calm down!" It took a moment but they finally did. (Somehow it did not sound like he yelling.)

Burl pulled his hand free of the woman. "It was no hallucination! I was not drinking then and I am not drunk now! If anyone knows of another sighting it's Kell and I want to hear it. Now leave over, Wife!"

The room grew quiet. No one really wanted to get into a couples squabbles but clearly these people did not want to hear the man speak. Burl glared at everyone. Some were glaring back and others were avoiding his gaze. When he was sure no one else was going to interrupt, he straighten, standing tall, still daring anyone to say more. Jorg shook his head and gave Kell an apologetic look but he did not intervene further. Jarl did not share his calm and was still wondering if things would get ugly soon. Maronna just went about cutting her lamb chops, seemingly unperturbed by the scene playing out before them.

Kell spoke into the quiet. "It's all right, Bell. Everyone. Please. I'd like to hear what Burl has to say." Looking right at the tall man he said "Please, share what you saw."

The big man stood a little straighter. He adjusted his vest. Then he coughed. Someone mumbled to get on with it and Burl just glared at him. Sticking out his chest he finally spoke. "I don't know what it was but even dead it scared me into the drink for the past two months."

Kell nodded, a pensive frown on his face. Then he said "Burl, perhaps if you told your story beginning to end?"

Burl bobbed his head. "Yes. That might best. Thank you, Sir." He swallowed. As soon as it was clear Kell wanted to listen, the woman with the baby got up and went into the hall leading to the back, along with the rest of the women and children, even some of the men, with a look of either disgust or annoyance, perhaps both. The common room was still fairly full despite those who had tried to shut the ragged man up earlier. "My farm is several miles outside the valley, toward the mountains. I was checking the potato field near the back. The sun would be down soon but there was still plenty of time to make it back to the house. I noticed a very foul odor wafting out from a small thicket. Naturally, I went to..."

"Are you sure it wasn't you?" Said a man near the back. Some people laughed. The ragged man glared and balled one of his fists.

Jorg said "That'll be enough Orl. Everyone. If you don't want to listen, you're welcome to leave. Otherwise, the man talk."

Burl straightened again. "Thank you, Jorg. AS I was saying." He adjusted his coat before continuing. "I went to investigate."

"Of course." Kell replied. Kell had come down from his soap box and was eating. He still kept his eyes on Burl, hardly stopping to see what he was putting in his mouth. Jarl could hear the rain hitting the roof, now. A few others were looking up as well.

Jarl saw that his plate was empty, vegetables and all. The food was very good. Thad pushes his away with some vegetables and one small potato uneaten. Seeing Jarl eyeing it he pushed it his way. "Thanks, Thad." Jarl said with a grin.

"Anyway. What I found was a great boar, dead. That was a strange sight because it was still a fairly young boar, not yet fully grown. It was still bigger than Bessie, our cow."

Kell asked "You burned the corpse right? Those things eat anything and are no good for man nor beast."

"Of course I did. That's not what was strange. Those things fear nothing and this one was barely an adult. Yet, it was dead. I got closer, holding my nose to try to ignore the stench. It had deep gouges all around its head and neck and sides. They were bad but we all know that great boars can a lot of punishment before going down. I don't think that was what killed it. There was this green goo all over its head and hooves." The tall man cringed a little at the muffled sound of distant thunder. He wasn't the only one. Jarl looked at his plate, Thad's plate. Done, and I'm still hungry."It was even on its belly. The thing must have waddled through whatever it was. I think it was that good what killed it. There was a trail of the stuff leading over a small but steep hill behind my place. It took me a little while to climb up and the down the other side. I don't know how that boar managed it. I followed it inside a narrow crevasse. There was a distinct odor to that goo as well, though I do not know how to describe it except that it was acrid." Boom. It was getting closer. A few people had jumped. So did Jarl. Thad laughed silently. Kell seemed not to notice. "Hmm. Yes. Um, Jorg, may I have a drink?"

"Burl!" said his wife. Not loud, but definitely not liking the idea.

"Just water, if you don't mind." He turned to glare at Bell, who just nodded. Grimacing, Burl turned back to the room, waiting for his water.

Attrina had Burl's water to him as if she knew ahead of time. Then she came to take their plates. Burl was taking a good long drink. "Did everyone get their fill? Thad nodded. Kell, also, if absently, yet he had hardly touched his. Jarl hesitated. "Do you want some more, young master?"

Jarl felt his money pouch, it was low but not too low. "Yes, please. Thank you." He said, not really looking at her face.

"Certainly." She took the plates. Jarl risked a peek at her face. She winked again. He blushed and looked away. He noticed Jorg looking at him with a frown. Jarl looked away. What did I do? Maronna seemed oblivious this time, but Jarl doubted it. Jorg crooked his at Attrina and she came over. She moved a little slower. They had words then she stalked into the kitchen.

"Right. Right. Ok." Burl said. He cleared his throat and took deep breath. "Here's where it really gets strange. That green trail led to a broken body unlike anything I've ever seen or heard off. It was covered in the boar's blood and more this green...blood, it had to be blood, and a lot more. It..."

Boom! That was close. Everyone jumped that time. Burl was looking about like it was aimed at him. Jorg and Maronna, and maybe Kell, were the only ones that didn't jump, at least not that Jarl noticed. Attrina arrived with his plate. She still had a frown on her face but she was also looking about nervously, except for keeping her eyes down this time rather than looking at anyone, Jarl especially. "Thank you." Jarl said.

"You're welcome, young master." She replied. "Will there be anything else?" addressing her question to the table. Everyone shook their heads so left, keeping her eyes down even then.

Thankfully, Burl had needed time to take another drink of water and recuperate himself. Now he continued. "That broken body looked nothing like anything I've ever seen nor heard of. It had no hair. It's skin was a pale orange, as if it were trying to blend in with the red dirt of the crevasse. There was bone sticking out here and there. Not the white bones you would usually see. These were a dark, ugly blue with some snot looking green splotches. The acrid smell was strongest here. I got as close as I could stand the smell, perhaps the other side of that table over there." Which estimated to be less than ten feet. The rain was still coming down hard.

It was on its back. Three broken limbs and a healed over stub were sticking up in the air. I'm not even sure if that stub really was a limb. The one foreleg was half again as long as the rear ones. It had teeth sticking out of its crooked mouth at odd angles. It had few claws, as if they had grown wrong, those were still better than an inch long."

Clearly the boar had gored it several times. No doubt it never stood a chance. The back of its head was bashed in but its face was mostly red with the boar's blood." Burl shuttered. He was not the only one. His voice lowered. "And it had what looked like wolf's ears." He held them up and wiggled them. Thunder boomed in the distance, all but ignored. "The worst was those blood red eyes. No matter where I stood, it felt like those eyes were looking at me." Burl stared right Jarl that, repeating himself. "Blood red eyes. Blood red. Blood..." Jarl realized that the haggard man was not really staring him as much as his memory of what he had seen.

The who had called Burl a drunk earlier stood up and pointed at him. "And no body found anything! Not the boar. Not the monster. Not even this trail of green blood you claimed to follow. Now take you drunken fever dreams and..."

BOOM!

CRACK! Even Kell and Maronna jumped that time. There followed a long, loud creaking noise outside and then a muffled thud that Jarl felt through the table. Most of the remaining women were holding onto a man and many of the men were looking for a place to hide, Jarl included. He was trying to look everywhere at once, wondering if they were about be buried or burned alive, or both.. Jorg did what he did best, calming everyone down. Jarl wondered how the man managed to keep his head when everyone else was losing theirs.

Someone grabbed Jarl's shoulder and he jumped again. "Boy..." Maronna said, speaking low. "...if you keep turning your head back and forth like that you're going to end up looking backwards." Jarl felt his cheeks warm and he started laughing. Kell and Thad soon joined them. Soon, the whole room was laughing. It was some time before everyone settled down.

By then Jorg was pulling the front door closed. He was no longer laughing but he still had a smile on his face. "It's all right folks. Lightning hit the Maypole and knocked it down. Everything's fine. The rain is letting up so worst of the storm is over. You can all return to your homes soon. Burl. Would you and Bell like to join Kell and myself for a little wine and cheese? Just a little mind you." Jarl was sure that was said more for Bell's benefit than Burl's.

Burl started to nod yes but then looked to his wife first. When she nodded, he did as well. Perhaps she needed to calm her nerves as well.

Kell stood then turned back to table. "Maronna, you can join us if you like. Lads, you're free for now but be ready to help with sales in a little while."

Jarl and Thad grinned. Jarl said "Thanks, Kell."

Maronna stood "A little wine sounds good. Or perhaps a flagon of ale?" She followed Kell over to Jorg's table. Soon they were all talking low.

Jarl smiled at his silent companion "How about we check out the den? Maybe they've got checkers or flip." Thad nodded. 



© 2012 TomEYou


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

214 Views
Added on October 14, 2012
Last Updated on October 14, 2012


Author

TomEYou
TomEYou

Denton, TX



About
Writing my first story with what I think is a unique world design. Aristotle: The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. more..

Writing