It's All In The Past

It's All In The Past

A Chapter by Tony DM Hayward

 

1981

...‘I’ll be back for you, my son.’ He spoke quietly and surely, before reluctantly taking off once more.

The man begins racing between the trees again; he moved like a rat scurrying away from his pray, a fearful rat. He had been running only a minute but his legs told him he was running for much longer. He tired easily and needed to stop to take another breath. At that moment in time a twig snapped from somewhere around him, soon more rustling sounds were heard. He looked and suddenly realised that he was now surrounded by four men, all of average height, average build, and they all looked like they belonged to a Native American tribe.

The four men had dark tanned skin, black hair and were all wearing their tribal clothing. The fourth man took two steps closer, this man had longer and darker hair than the others, he also was a slightly bigger built too.

‘We’re here to take you back Knoshi.’ The fourth native directed to the baby’s father, which they still surrounded.

‘You would like that wouldn’t you Kumai...’ Knoshi spat at him. ‘The mighty Kumai here to bring justice, when he was the one who betrayed a friend, who lied to me.’

‘You were the one who betrayed the tribe Knoshi. You should come back with us and accept your punishment with honour.’ Kumai looked confident, as if he was the leader of the three men who hadn’t moved an inch.

‘And who would have the honour of doing it? You Kumai, would you be the one to give me my punishment? I think you know I’m not going back with you, not without a little push anyway.’ You could tell Knoshi meant what he said, he wasn’t about to give up that easy. He moved his feet to get a better stand and clenched up both of his fists.

‘We don’t have to do this.’ Kumai told Knoshi. He wanted to do everything he could to get Knoshi to come back with him quietly, only he was never good at persuasion. Kumai wasn’t exactly a people person.

‘I think we do.’ Knoshi replied. All of a sudden one of Kumai’s men jumped at Knoshi from behind.

‘No, wait!’ Kumai shouted out loud but far too late. Knoshi didn’t even see the attack coming. The native man ran at Knoshi leaping high into the air, much higher than any ordinary man should be able to jump, and landed upon Knoshi’s back. He pushed him to the rocky ground; as he came down on top of Knoshi he dropped and rolled. Still holding onto him tight he then tossed him through the air. Knoshi went soaring through the forest and collided with a solid tree trunk.

Surprisingly Knoshi seemed not to be hurt too badly, you would think after a crash like that he wouldn’t be able to stand, at least any normal man wouldn’t. As Knoshi got up he saw the same native coming down on him once again, like an eagle swooping from the sky the native man came down hitting Knoshi hard in the jaw with a right hook. Knoshi came right back with an upper cup and then a kick to the chest, sending the tribesman stumbling backwards. The tribesman moved towards him and he tried another right hook, only this time Knoshi blocked it. Gripping his arm he then span around on the spot and threw the native man through the air, just like he had did to him. The tribal man had good reactions and landed upon his feet, he slid a few inches skidding through the dirt but used his hands to balance himself. He looked back at Knoshi with a growl, and not just an average growl but a wild and raw animal growl. As he stared up at him Knoshi could see that his eyes had turned into a different colour, more of a light blue colour.

‘Enough!’ Kumai roared, before his friend had the chance to spring again. He gave Kumai an evil glance but on looking back he saw three men joining Knoshi’s side. Knoshi grinned back at him. They now all gave each other fearsome looks, and then they prepared for battle. A fight broke out between them all but Knoshi wanted Kumai for himself and the others knew that, so they went to battle with the native men and left Knoshi and Kumai to go at it.

Knoshi was the one to make the first move; he leaped at Kumai, who moved quickly, Knoshi landed upon his feet. He then started throwing punches but Kumai blocked them all successfully. Knoshi managed to head butt Kumai leaving him slightly dazed for only seconds. That was the only hit he managed, after that every attempt was blocked by Kumai. Before long Knoshi was growing tired, and that’s when Kumai started hitting back.

Kumai hit him in the face, then a kick to his stomach, and then a knee to the jaw. Knoshi stumbled backwards, blood was noticeable from his nose and lip, but he just kept coming back for more. Knoshi jumped towards Kumai again but this time as he drew near Kumai grabbed him from the air and threw him to the sticks and stones below. Knoshi got up and again charged at Kumai, he took Kumai by the waist and they both fell. Knoshi came down on top of him and began pounding on Kumai, getting many hits in. Kumai had to defend himself and in doing so he raised his legs and tossed Knoshi above his head. He hit the ground hard and rolled across the dirt.

Knoshi stood and looked around, he was a little worn out and most of his men were on the ground themselves. Perhaps he and his men should retreat, he knew he had to escape while he could. They all began to gather themselves up in a pile, and then fled through the forest. Kumai’s men were about to go after them until they noticed he hadn’t moved.

‘Go, I have something to take care of. Don’t lose them; the others will be arriving soon.’ Kumai ordered his men, and with that they also disappeared into the shadows.

Kumai started walking in the opposite direction. Slowly but surely he mooched pass the trees, until he came to a standstill. Looking over to his right he saw it. Lying there within the thick roots of a tree was a small baby boy, wrapped in a bundle of blankets, sound asleep. Kumai gently picked up the child and held him tight in his arms.

‘We must leave now, child. This place isn’t safe for you.’ Kumai began walking through the forest with the boy, he walked with an incredibly fast pace. ‘There’s a battle brewing and I don’t wish for you to be caught in between it. Such an innocent child, you have no idea that you are the son of a traitor. I fear that if they find you, your life may not be spared.’ The young boy now awake looked up into the eyes of the man who carried him and gurgled. The baby was completely oblivious to the danger that threatened him.

Kumai continued through the forest, he didn’t slow down or stop once. Around twenty minutes later Kumai reached the edge of the forest, as he came to the opening he stumbled upon a road, a long and wide road. Opposite was only more forest. Kumai began down the road and it wasn’t long before it had lead him to a small town. Kumai ventured through the streets of the town, it wasn’t hard to find his way round. The town maybe small but it was spread out, the road took him down some streets with houses, and then what he could only guess was the town centre. Buildings spread around, further were more houses, and behind all this were more forest. Kumai found what he was looking for; he came to stand outside a warm lit home.

He knew where he was and he knew who lived in this house. This is also how he knew where Knoshi was going. He had strict instructions to come here in search for Knoshi, then he was to bring him back to his people. And this is what Kumai intended on doing, but first he had a little matter to take care of. After the baby’s mother died giving birth and with his father an outcast, who else would raise him and love him.

He approached the house slowly, rested the now sleeping child upon the door step, and then he rang the doorbell.

‘You’ll be safe here, child.’

After leaving the child Kumai rushed back to the forest twice as fast. It was only a short time before Kumai was deep in the forest yet again. He moved to the edge of a hill, below he found his men in battle again with Knoshi and his men; he arrived just in time to see more of Knoshi’s men show up. They appeared from the shadows around, edging ever closer to join the battle. For seconds Kumai worried that his men would be out numbered, but as he did more of Kumai’s tribe turned up as well. They came from behind the trees, as if it were the trees around them that were transforming into his men. Looking around he noticed that there were now a hundred men, at least fifty men on each side, and they all joined the fight.

Kumai watched them fighting amongst the trees and upon the open field connecting. Some were using weapons, others using nature as their weapons, but all of them blood thirsty. Throughout Kumai noticed that he could not see Knoshi anywhere.

Where had he gone? Kumai thought to himself. Did he escape yet again?

Just then Kumai heard noises coming from behind him and turned in time to see someone running at him. The man rugby tackled him with some force and they tumbled down the mud hill. They continued to fall hitting rocks as they went, until they landed separately within the battle field.

Kumai rose to his feet. His eyes reached left and right taking in the war zone, he tried looking around for Knoshi for the second time but again no luck, and then someone came rushing towards him. Before Kumai had a chance to think, that someone was right on top of him, and just before he was about to collide with Kumai he jumped up over him. Kumai ducked right down, and as this man glided over Kumai his skin began to shape and change, he instantly changed into a wild wolf as if it were magic. And the image of this was truly magical. The now wolf landed on all fours and fiercely began clawing with another wolf.

Before long many more men on both sides was transforming into wolves. The battle became even more dangerous as it became every man for himself, there were even gunfire going off at this point. One wolf jumped up at Kumai and forced him to the floor, growling and drooling all over him. Kumai tried his best to stop this beast from eating him; he had his hands around his throat and jaw forcing the wolf’s head upwards.

Kumai began growing tied, the wolf was strong but Kumai was stronger. He threw the wolf to his side and quickly stood; the wolf was just as quick and rose to its feet. Before attacking once more the wolf stared into the eyes of Kumai, the wolf had completely black eyes that were full of evil; its fur was also black all over. Kumai stared back at the wolf, with no fear or hesitation. Then without warning Kumai began running in the opposite direction. The wolf gentle waiting awhile, and then he too began to run.

Kumai was fast, faster than any other man should be. But no matter how fast Kumai ran, he was no match for the four legged creature. The wolf was close behind Kumai and still closing in. Kumai didn’t seem worried; he just simply looked focussed on the direction in which he was headed. Continuing at speed he now ran up on a large mud hill, then when he came to the edge Kumai jumped off of it and into the air. Kumai had jumped head first, arms stretched, and with no second thoughts to doing this. As he glided through the air like superman he suddenly started to change, his features and figure shaped into something inhuman like. Kumai changed into a wolf too, a silver wolf with a black line down his back. He also had black colouring in his paws and on one of his ears.

The wolf Kumai landed on his feet and immediately turned around. As he did the other wolf who was not far behind him was soon coming down on top of him. The wolf’s teeth sunk into Kumai’s neck, pinning him to the dirt. Blood trickle down his neck and stuck to his fur. Kumai fought back and threw the wolf off of him; they stood face to face, both showing their white and very sharp teeth. Kumai’s wolf eyes were a golden yellow colour, and within them laid a force that could scare the bravest lion.

The two wolves went at it.

Like wild animals with their razor sharp teeth they bit and scratched at one another. It was a sight that most would pray they would never witness in a lifetime. Kumai raised his front paws to defend himself but that only gave the second wolf the chance to bite his left front leg. Kumai whimpered and limped backwards. But now the second wolf only saw that he had the upper hand and proceeded forward.

Kumai took off at great speed forcing the other wolf to chase after him a second time. Kumai didn’t run too far before he jumped up at a tree instead. He bounced off of the tree onto a high mud hill and then just as quick he jumped off, creating a circle and landing behind the other wolf. Before the other wolf caught on to what had just happened Kumai ran at him and leaped up upon his back. He got his own back by sinking his teeth into the second wolf’s neck, blood dripped within the Kumai’s wolf mouth. He continued to hold his grip on the wolf’s neck. Eventually the wolf began to feel weak, his breath became shallow, and soon he fell to the ground. Upon falling Kumai released his grip. The wolf lay there not moving.

Kumai frantically patted his feet into the mud and upon looking up to the night sky, he cried out a loud howl to the moon above.

As Kumai finished his plea to the moon he noticed something within the distant woods. Standing high on a large rock there stood another wolf. Only Kumai knew exactly which wolf this was. It was unmistakable that this wolf was the one he was most interested in. It was Knoshi.

Kumai began forward at full speed. But the wolf wasted no time in disappearing. Kumai reached the point where the wolf had been stood watching his fight. He sniffed around until he got the scent he required, and then he set off through the trees. The scent was strong, which meant Knoshi wasn’t far in front. Maybe a couple of minutes of a head start. This is a time when Kumai appreciated such abilities, like great tracking skills, that came with being a wolf. Any other time Kumai would prefer to forget that he had the power to become a wolf at his own will. To do so was considered dangerous if done often.

Kumai came to a road. He recognised this road as he was here not an hour or two ago. He slowed down to pick up the scent again. Sniffing around for only seconds he knew which direction Knoshi was heading, towards the town.

Kumai travelled through the town. He didn’t know where Knoshi was going. Was he trying to retrieve his son? He pondered as he came to stop outside a small church. The scent was strong here, he was defiantly in there.

Kumai entered the church. As soon as he crossed the fresh hold he could sense the holiness. Silence echoed throughout the huge room, seeping into Kumai’s ears. This wasn’t right. What was Knoshi doing here? Kumai slowly pitter-pattered between the stalls and reached the other side of the room, here he found a door to a back room. Entering the back room, still in his wolf form, Kumai sniffed out something he had only hoped he would find. After this he transformed back into his human form. His body shaped and moulded like clay, leaving him on his hands and knees completely stark naked.

He got up from the floor and made his way over to what looked like a wardrobe. In it he found what he needed, a pair of black trousers and a black shirt. This was most likely the reason Knoshi came in here, for clothes to wear. It was the one fall back being a skin-walker that it left you naked upon turning back. After this he made his way back out into the main entrance. Looking about the room he noticed another door just opposite to where he stood. Kumai walked over to the room’s door and opening it he was now looking at the back of Knoshi. Knoshi was now in his human form as well and fully dressed. He wore a grey hooded jumper, jogging bottoms, and a pair of trainers that he took from god knows where.

Knoshi was knelt on his knees, if Kumai had to guess he could almost say that he was praying. The room around was meant for such a thing, with its angelic symbols upon the ceiling and windows. Kumai just watched without saying a word. Knoshi rose to his feet slowly and with the same pace he began to turn on the spot until he came to stare at Kumai.

‘How did you find me?’ Knoshi asked.

‘It wasn’t that hard really.’ Kumai replied. Neither seemed as if they were about to attack the other, but you could feel the strong tension in the air around them. ‘Didn’t take you as the praying type. Hoping that God will forgive you? Maybe he will...but I won’t.’ Just then, if you were to look close enough, you could see the hurt in Kumai’s eyes.

‘I didn’t...it was...’ Knoshi struggled with the words, as he tried to explain the unexplainable.

‘An accident?’ Kumai finished his sentence, this time with rage.

‘I’m sorry.’

‘Well that’s ok then...’ Kumai continued to spit with anger. ‘As long as you’re sorry then everything is just fine. Well it’s not fine because what you did when you...when...’ Now Kumai stumbled upon his words. He took in a breath and then continued with pure discontent. ‘What you did was soulless and unforgivable.’

‘Well it wouldn’t have happened if you didn’t put your nose where it didn’t belong.’ Knoshi came back at him, building up his own anger.

‘Don’t you even...be a man and take responsibility for what you did, it was no one’s fault but your own. I should tear you limb from limb for what you did to her, but I’d rather take you back to the tribe and watch you suffer.’

‘And what if I don’t want to go back?’

‘Then I’ll make you.’ Kumai clenched up his fists which stayed by his side. He was ready to do whatever it took.

‘I’d love to see you try.’ Knoshi also prepared himself for what was to come. ‘This is going to be fun.’ He grinned.

For a long time nothing happened. Neither Kumai nor Knoshi moved an inch; each was waiting for the other to make the first move. But patience wasn’t part of Knoshi’s strongest assets, and he always liked to be sneaky. So he began very slowly to circle Kumai, who continued to stand still but never taking his eyes of him. As he reached to Kumai’s right side, he passed a bowl of holy water sitting upon a sort of stone pole. As he reached this bowl he continued to distract Kumai with his devilish grin, and then as quickly as his wolf reflects allowed he grabbed the bowl off of the stone stand and threw it at Kumai.

The golden bowl spilled its water over Kumai as it hit him in his forehead, cutting him a little. As he was temporary surprised at what had happened Knoshi immediately tackled him at the waist, both ramming into the wall. Kumai elbowed Knoshi in the shoulder and then kicked him, making Knoshi fly into the statue which people would pray to, and then into the table that held the incense sticks.

Kumai strode over to Knoshi and forcefully picked him up. But it was Knoshi’s turn now, he head butted Kumai and Kumai released his grip. While dazed Knoshi kicked him in his stomach and then took two punches to his jaw. This made Kumai bleed from his bottom lip, and he stumble backwards. Knoshi ran at him and jumped with a flying kick, but as he drew near Kumai grabbed his leg and threw him out of the door that was behind him. They continued their fight, occasionally throwing each other about, but mostly making one another bleed from the face and other places.

Kumai got thrown into the confession booth and a piece of wood stabbed him in his side, leaving him hurt a lot.

Knoshi picked up a long plank of wood that was broken off from the wooden seats. The end was sharp and he intended to use it as a weapon. Kumai got to his feet, slightly weak from his wound. As he did Knoshi just swung at him, hitting him in the chin with the plank. Kumai was still on the floor as Knoshi came to stand in front of him. Knoshi raised the plank high above his head with the pointed end facing the wounded native below. Kumai saw what was to come next, seeing the rage in Knoshi’s eyes.

It all happened too fast. Kumai watched as suddenly another long and sharp plank was forced through Knoshi’s stomach from behind. Standing behind was a tribesman looking shocked. Knoshi fell to the floor with the plank of wood sticking up in the air. He lay there, still alive but barely breathing, with a big piece of wood sticking out of the middle of his chest.

Kumai approached him. He could see blood seeping around the wound and from his mouth. He didn’t know what to do so he just stared, shocked. Knoshi began to move his lips but found it hard to speak. After everything that had happened with the two he still got upset over the situation, he still felt his eyes welling.

‘My...son.’ Knoshi coughed. And then choking on his own blood he stopped breathing. Knoshi laid still and cold.

Kumai stumbled out of the church. He was lost for words, trying to take in the events that had just taken place. Knoshi had become an enemy, but he had been a good friend once. They had spent many days and many journeys together. Kumai looked down to his hands. Knoshi’s fresh blood still stained them. The smell of a dead man’s blood seeped into Kumai’s nostrils, and Kumai’s heightened sense of smell made it that much worse. Kumai felt funny inside, all of a sudden, out of the blue, he vomited onto the gravel outside.

It’s not that Kumai hadn’t seen a dead body, or witnessed a murder before. It was just that this time was different; he was too close to the situation at hand. Kumai wiped of his mouth with his sleeve and sighed loudly. He looked up to the sky for answers but he didn’t like the answer he got. Staring down at him, covered in blood and anger, was the red coloured moon. The moon swam in a pool of beautiful colours of reds and pinks.

Just then, as Kumai pondered what to do next, he suddenly remembered something. He set off towards the town centre, reminiscing about the death of Knoshi. He didn’t understand why he couldn’t forget what had happened; he couldn’t get the image of Knoshi’s face out of his mind.

Was this guilt?

Would it ever go away?

Kumai made it to his destination, the new home of Knoshi’s son. Now that he was here he didn’t know what he was going to do. He walked around to the other side of the house. As he did so he still questioned himself as to what it was he was really doing.

Was he going to take back the child? Take him back to the tribe, raise him as his own? His tribe would never allow it. And what was to become of him if he was to grow up in that type of world. After all Kumai didn’t even know if the little boy was one of them.

Kumai pondered awhile. The boy’s father was certainly a skin-walker. Knoshi came from Kumai’s tribe who are all skin-walkers. A long time ago there were many more, but now there is only a limited amount of skin-walkers left. Some stay in hiding, some make it through in packs, some use their ability for evil, some are scared of themselves, and there are even some who are unaware of their ability. But the little boy’s mother on the other hand, she was completely human, not that skin-walkers aren’t human really. She was, how they like to call, an innocent. Knoshi wasn’t exactly shunned by his tribe but there were quite a few who did look down upon him for marrying an innocent, and more so when he got her pregnant. And so being an innocent Kumai didn’t know whether this child would have their ability or not.

Kumai noticed something new, something that changed his thoughts completely. He was now standing absolutely still, staring into a window opposite. He watched through the window, a woman was pacing around the room, with a small child in her arms. She was rocking this child to sleep, her eyes full of love. The child seemed so peaceful in her arms; she smiled down at him and gave him love.

It dawned on Kumai that this is what he was going to do. The best decision he could make, he knew in his heart that this was the right place for this child. It was far better to allow this innocent little boy to grow up in a town where he was sure many would love him.

‘You belong here now. Sleep well, my child.’

 

Now.

…‘So my father was killed in battle by one of his very own tribesman?’

‘It’s sad but true. It was an accident through battle, and could not be stopped. There’s one more thing, because your mother was an innocent...’

‘An innocent?’ Joshua interrupted Kumai in mid flow.

‘It’s what we call those who don’t have our ability.’

‘Oh.’

‘Because she was an innocent I have no way of knowing how it will affect your ability, you’re a half-blood so you won’t be as strong as us. Maybe you won’t have heightened senses the way we do, maybe you won’t feel the addiction as strong as us, or maybe it just won’t affect you at all. I’m not entirely sure.’

The night passed and many more did the same. Joshua had a lot on his mind after that night, a lot to think about. Joshua stayed with the natives for weeks as he watched their ways and became a part of them. They also taught him a number of things like hunting, as they had promised, which made Joshua feel like one of them. He got so close that Joshua had forgotten his own family back home, as well as Charlie who he hadn’t spoken to or even seen in almost a month.

Joshua began to feel torn between the natives and his loved ones at home; as he ventured around the village in his tribal clothes he couldn’t stop thinking about how welcomed and at home he felt there. Plus there was so much more he could learn from them as he got to grips with his new found ability. But he knew too well that he needed to return.

Joshua left it a couple more weeks and decided to return home at the end of the month, being the end of May. After telling Kumai that he was ready to go back they both travelled through the forest on horses, along with Kumai’s bearded friend for extra company. It was just about a two days travel before they reached Joshua’s house. Joshua felt happy to be back, he gave thanks to Kumai for his time and watched as the two natives disappeared into the forest once more.

 



© 2014 Tony DM Hayward


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

118 Views
Added on August 17, 2013
Last Updated on February 17, 2014