The Scare

The Scare

A Chapter by Tony DM Hayward

 

 

Joshua was right; he lay in his bed that night replaying the events that happened at school. He couldn’t believe he was still arguing with Charlie, or the look that Eric had given him. It haunted him through the night; he was such an idiot he thought. It hadn’t ended there either; Joshua had seen Charlie and Eric hanging out together the next day too. He had to endure watching them eating at the same table while he sat at his usual table with Pete and Jordon.

The image of seeing them like this never left him, it followed him to bed again and he found himself having nightmares about them together. It now became a routine to Joshua; all of the weekdays were the same. He spent most of the school day, not truly knowing why, looking out for them and when he found them he couldn’t take his eyes of them. Again he dreamt the night through with images of them together.

Soon that was all that became of Joshua’s days. He fell into a state of depression and jealously, though he would never admit that he was jealous, and his days had passed him by unknowingly.

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

Monday. Joshua woke again with his alarm ringing loud enough for the whole neighbourhood to hear. He moaned whilst he continued to get up and dressed. He made his way through the house like a zombie, dreading the day that was upon him, he knew all too well what lay ahead.

Joshua made every effort to take his time eating his breakfast; he also took time driving to school. He wanted to make sure he was there at the very last minute before the bell rang, so that he would be going straight to class. This way he wouldn’t accidently run into Charlie or Eric before school started. He did however have lunch time and between classes to try and dodge them also. Worse than this Joshua knew there was still that one class he shared with Charlie, and this was inevitable.

At lunch time Joshua had decided not to go to the canteen, he thought for sure that was where Charlie would be hanging out with Eric; he had seen them eating at the same table many times before now. Joshua thought instead that he would go outside. It was getting much cloudy lately but it remained dry enough to stay out.

Joshua ventured out into the cold. There was a very icy wind blowing strong, strong enough that many of the school kids were hibernating inside. But that didn’t bother Joshua because he never got cold these days. Even on the coldest days, and this small town got very cold, he found himself feeling warm enough. Joshua had guessed it was a great side-effect from being a skin-walker, like he wore an invisible layer of fur around his entire body. This meant that most days since Joshua first turned he had been wearing only a thin t-shirt, when some wore thick coats.

Joshua smiled to himself at this thought as he watched a couple of girls hug themselves to keep warm before running off inside. It was the first time Joshua had smiled in two weeks, but he never realised. Joshua headed towards the field when he began to slow down, there was already someone sitting under his tree.

Joshua got closer slowly; as he neared he got the shock of his life. What were the chances he thought? The one time Joshua decided to skip lunch because of running into Charlie and Eric and there they were in front of him.

Joshua couldn’t take his eyes of them although he hated seeing them like this, happy. Joshua was sure this was the one place he wouldn’t find them. He thought seeing how it wasn’t nice weather they wouldn’t be out here, but then the tree seemed to be blocking them from the wind. Eric was sat leant up against the tree trunk with Charlie led on the grass with her head resting upon his lap, Eric was reading her a book and Joshua watched as they laughed and joked. The sight of them flirting disgusted him, he physically felt sick and no longer hung around to watch them this way.

Joshua didn’t know why they upset him so much, he kept saying to himself that it was because Eric wasn’t a good person and that he was just manipulating Charlie. And so all Joshua wanted to do was protect her from him, what was so bad about that he thought.

Joshua found it particularly hard of get through the rest of the afternoon after that, the image haunted him throughout the day; he was very distracted in the classrooms and even the teachers noticed. One had asked to see him after class and told him that he was worried about him. The teacher wanted to know if there was something going on at home or if there was a death in the family or something, because it showed on his face. Joshua felt almost embarrassed about this and assured him that he was fine.

Joshua thought that the way he was feeling really must be showing on his face, after that incident Joshua found that more people began asking if he was ok. First Pete and Jordon, then another teacher during class, even Jenifer had said something. In the evening break before his last class Joshua had been standing at his locker when Jenifer casually leant on the next locker.

‘Sorry I don’t know where Charlie is.’ Joshua spoke up before Jenifer manages to get a word out. He then shut his locker and began to walk off, to which Jenifer followed.

‘I’m not here about Charlie, or I am but not about where to find her, I already know that.’

‘So what is it?’ Joshua said still moving at a steady pace.

‘I wanted to see how you were doing.’ Jenifer spoke with a sympathetic tone.

‘I’m fine.’ Joshua had said the word fine so many times today that he had forgotten the meaning of the word, it was something that seeped through his lips automatically now.

‘Well sorry for the intrusion but you don’t look fine.’

‘Well not that it’s any of your business but I am, fine.’ Joshua was stopped by Jenifer grabbing his arm and swinging him around.

‘For what it’s worth, she still likes you. She’s only hanging around Eric because he fills the hole you’ve been digging, he makes her feel better. But you can change that if you just stop lying to yourself and admit how you feel towards her.’ Jenifer shocked Joshua, he felt slightly angry at what she said but he didn’t know why. What was she trying to say he thought?

‘I don’t know what you’re talking about.’ Joshua said very convincing, because he really didn’t know what Jenifer was trying to say.

‘Fine Josh, if you want it that way. But remember, you have a choice, and that choice will determine your future with Charlie.’ Jenifer left Joshua standing in the middle of the school corridor within a pool of confusion. Students were walking around him like he was just a statue, and then the school bell rang.

Joshua felt physically exhausted by the same question being asked over again by the number of different people. But soon after the last class, school was over and Joshua now thought he was free from anyone he might know and free from that dreaded question.

Joshua pulled up outside his own house; he got out his car and slowly made his way around the front with little energy. As he got to the front bonnet of the truck Joshua stopped, he then leant on the front of his car with his foot up on the bumper and took in a deep breath. Joshua really didn’t feel like going home right now, he just wanted to be alone.

He decide to go for a walk and found himself settled down on a wooden bench in the middle of town, although there were many people walking about behind him it was very peaceful here. The bench faced a big beautiful water fountain of a circular shape and there were many shops stretched out around it and further. Joshua was completely in a state of his own mind when a woman sat next to him, he knew she was there but he continued to not acknowledge her.

‘Is everything ok...?’ The voice came from the woman sat beside Joshua and there was a similarity to her voice that he recognised, Joshua looked slightly to his left and back again. Joshua now knew that the woman sat at his side was his grandmother; she must have seen him here alone while shopping or something. ‘Because that isn’t the face of a contented man.’

‘You’re the sixth person to ask me that.’ Joshua said staring at the water in front of him.

‘I would ask what is behind your sadness, but I could no doubt guess...’ Joshua wanted to say something but instead he just continued to stare at her. ‘This wouldn’t have anything to do with a certain girl, goes by the name of Charlie?’

‘You’re always good at that.’ Joshua managed to squeeze out a small smile and his grandmother knew exactly what he was saying.

‘It comes with years of practice. You know, just because I’m your grandmother doesn’t mean I’m not still here for you if you want to talk. Be free to use my ears anytime you feel like it.’ She smiled her warmly smile. Joshua always thought it was a smile you couldn’t say no to, she made you feel like you could tell her anything. ‘I’ll see you back home.’

Joshua’s grandmother stood and took a few steps before Joshua spoke again.

‘She’s been hanging out with someone else lately.’ He said.

‘Is this a boy someone?’ She gracefully sat beside him again.

‘His name is Eric.’ Joshua hated saying his name.

‘Ah, and now it all becomes a little clearer. And is Charlie and this boy just friends?’ Joshua really didn’t want to know the answer to that question.

‘Honestly I don’t want to know. But do you know what the joke is, I’m the reason she’s been seeing him. It’s just that there’s been so much going on between us lately, I’ve been pushing her away from me because...well it’s complicated. And I let it come between us. I guess Eric was just at the right place at the right time, but that’s not either of their faults.’

‘Well it sounds to me like you already have your answer.’ His grandmother stood once more. ‘Chin up dear. Remember, everything happens for a reason, you just have to find out what that reason is.’ She gave Joshua a friendly smile before she left him sitting alone again. He thought about what his grandmother had said and he pushed her words to the back of his head, hoping to forget about it. Eventually however, all the avoiding couldn’t last and almost two weeks later Joshua found himself giving up, or giving in.

It was a Saturday evening in June and Joshua was in his living room watching TV, nothing unusual for a lot of ordinary teens; however it was unusual for Joshua.

‘You’re not seeing Charlie today?’ Joshua's grandmother came into the living room from the kitchen. It was true; Joshua would normally be out with Charlie on most Saturdays.

‘Not today.’ Joshua said with little care to his voice, his grandmother knew something wasn’t right.

‘Have you two still not made up yet? I’m not going to pry but I will say this, whatever it is that’s going on with you two you’ve been best friends far too long to let it come between you. I don’t claim to be an expert of advice, but I know that you are a good person, and no matter whose fault it is you can make things right again.’ Joshua’s grandmother left the room to return to the kitchen.

Joshua switched off the TV and stood; he grabbed his t-shirt from off the back of the sofa and placed it over his head as he took off out the front door.

Joshua pulled up outside Charlie’s house in his rusty truck, he had decided that he would make an effort and try to put things right between them once and for all. He wanted to turn up on Charlie’s balcony and be the night in shining armour; he wanted to tell her that he didn’t like Eric much and nothing could change that, but he is alright with her seeing him. He hoped in time maybe he could learn to truly accept it.

Joshua really did intend to do all this, if it wasn’t for what he saw. He began slowing down on the opposite side of the road; he could see a car outside Charlie’s house and Eric standing at her door. Joshua quickly reacted and began to slowly reverse backwards until he parked further down the road from her house, here he turned off his truck and waited. He was still within seeing distant and as he watched he could see both Eric and Charlie getting into Eric’s car. It looked as if Charlie was dressed for a date.

Joshua couldn’t believe it; maybe it wasn’t a date he kept telling himself. Up until now he had only thought that their relationship was purely platonic, something that was the fault of his own, but never did he believe or could have guessed that it would result into something romantic. He couldn’t wrap his mind around it, they weren’t compatible and they were from two completely different worlds. Joshua couldn’t stop thinking about it.

As Eric’s car pulled away Joshua started up his truck, he didn’t know what he was going to do but he found himself wanting to follow them. Joshua did just that, he slowly followed Eric’s car making sure to keep his distant. As he continued to follow them he kept thinking how crazy his behaviour was, even for him. This was something that a stalking ex-boyfriend would do he thought, but he had to know.

Joshua turned the last corner but before he did he had already guessed where they were going. Parked across the street from the movie theatre was Eric’s car, Joshua decided to park a lot further away. After parking around the corner he made his way back to the movie theatre by foot. He still needed to know whether this was a real date, after all friends can go and watch a movie can’t they? Joshua found out which movie they were watching and followed them into the screen, he made sure to sit a few rows behind them.

Joshua sat on the aisle seat so if he needed to make a quick escape he could do it gracefully, soon the movie started and Joshua considered leaving, but something kept him clued to his seat. The movie was a horror flick; Joshua thought that Eric was a cliché for choosing this movie. It was an old trick to take a girl to see a scary film, that way if she gets too scared you can offer your arms to shield her eyes. Joshua was sure that this wouldn’t work with Charlie, but not even a few minutes into the film he was proven wrong.

Joshua watched Charlie squirm into Eric’s arm at a very horrific scene, she buried her face into his chest and Eric decided to take advantage of the situation and wrapped his arms around her. After a while Charlie looked back at the screen but Eric kept his arms around her, what Joshua noticed more was the fact that she let him.

The antics didn’t stop there, ten minutes later Joshua noticed Eric looking straight at Charlie. He wasn’t taking his eyes off of her and when she finally looked back, neither of them looked away. Joshua had a bad feeling about this, he knew what was about to happen next and he prayed hard for it not to. Joshua sucked in a breath as both Charlie and Eric’s faces got ever so closer to each other, their lips lingering inches away and before they got too close Joshua decided that he couldn’t take any more.

Joshua didn’t want to see this nor did he want to be there anymore, he got up rapidly and as he did he bumped into a girl walking down the aisle knocking her popcorn out of her hands. The girl shouted out at him and Joshua apologised three times in a row, both forgetting where they were. Joshua suddenly remembered, knowing that Charlie wasn’t too far from him and not wanting her to know he was there, he exited the movie theatre in a hurry.

Joshua stumbled outside not stopping until he reached half way down the street, it was pouring down with rain outside now and Joshua’s clothes soon became completely soaked. His longish black hair now sticking to his face looking like a wet dog. Joshua stopped to lean against the wall to the side of him and then he threw his head back and let the thick rain drops fall down upon his face.

‘Hey.’ Joshua heard someone call out. He turned around and discovered that Charlie appeared to have followed him outside. He guessed that she must have heard him back in the theatre screen ‘What is this, are you stalking me now?’ She continued demanding an answer.

‘It’s not what you think.’ Joshua replied, he didn’t sound too convincing even to himself.

‘Sure, you just happen to go and see the same movie on the same night and all by yourself, right?’ Charlie said sarcastically. Joshua couldn’t answer because he didn’t have anything to say, and the rain above kept coming down on the two of them like a waterfall.

Charlie looked down in thought and back up again, Joshua didn’t like the look she was giving him. He knew the look all too well when she was disappointed with him, but this was much worse. Charlie spoke again.

‘I was truly hoping we could save whatever friendship we had left, try and move on, but I don’t think I’m going to make the effort anymore. I don’t think we can come back from this, I don’t...think we should see each other anymore.’ They were already not seeing each other Joshua thought, only that was because of him, and now Charlie had made it clear that’s what she wanted. She began to turn away but then stopped and faced Joshua again. ‘What happened to you Josh? You’ve changed so much.’ Joshua didn’t answer nor did he move, he instead watched Charlie walk away with sadness.

The next week Joshua was feeling lost even more; it wasn’t like he was trying to avoid Charlie now because he wanted to, he couldn’t go say hi because Charlie didn’t want him around. Joshua managed to get through the next week of school, skipping Friday just because he just couldn’t hold on any longer for the weekend to begin. So he spent it at the local library in town so that his grandmother wouldn’t find out. It was Saturday evening again and growing dark very quickly, Joshua wandered upstairs to his room and sat down at his computer.

He was only on the internet for ten minutes when he started to feel a little funny inside. He casually looked down and on the desk was notes that he had made of the days when there was a full moon. Upon the paper it read that a full moon for this month landed on Saturday, that day. Joshua had begun keeping a list of the days each full moon hit every month from the day he got back from being with Kumai, he had a list of several different dates that would lead up to the end of the year.

Joshua hastily stood up and rushed to his window. He opened the closed curtains with force and leant on the edge of the window, with his face screwed up tight he looked up outside. Sure enough, floating high above in the clear black sky was a magnificent, glistening full moon.

Joshua felt his body start to pulse, his heart beat faster and his blood boil. There was something inside him stirring and wanting to get out, Joshua could feel the wolf within.

I’m in control, I’m in control, I’m in control. Joshua began chanting in his head.

Joshua kept his eyes shut tight and just like he did when he first changed willingly he took that deep feeling that scared him and instead of letting it out he put chains on it.

He opened his eyes and looked up. The moon was still full and he was still him, or at least he wasn’t a wolf, because he wasn’t sure who he was anymore. Joshua stopped leaning on the window and stood up straight with his hands now placed in his jean pockets. He could still feel the moon, a power that it gave off which seeped into his skin, but he was in control now.

Joshua was excited and couldn’t wait to tell Caleb that he didn’t change unwillingly, that night Joshua slept soundly for the first time in a long while. He spent the Sunday morning and afternoon as he always did, a long lie in and then a delicious Sunday dinner once awake. Then in the evening Joshua was to be meeting up with Caleb and his friends. He didn’t feel like seeing them tonight but he found himself going anyway, maybe it would take his mind of a certain someone he thought.

‘Caleb!’ Joshua called out through the trees. ‘Caleb, I’m here...hey! I know you’re there, I’m not playing games.’ Joshua was impatient at this time and eventually he waited no longer, he turned to leave and as soon as he did he was met face to face with Caleb. He was alone today and he stood ever so close to Joshua.

‘Why, you’re not in a good mood.’ He exclaimed.

‘You think.’ Joshua said sarcastically.

‘Did anyone happen to tell you, although we can choose not to change when there’s a full moon shining down on us, it does still however have a huge amount of influence on us?’

‘It was vaguely mentioned.’ Joshua said not caring.

‘Well it has an effect on our emotions. What every normal person would feel we would feel twice as much when the moon is out.’

‘You’re saying every emotion we feel is doubled?’

‘Exactly, and right now you stand out worse than a werewolf in a crowd of people.’ Caleb said jokily with a smile. ‘So what has you ill-tempered?’ He asked. Joshua didn’t know if he were the right person to be talking with about this, or if he even would care, but still Joshua explained almost everything about Charlie and Eric.

‘I was almost about to tell her I was alright with it, until I saw them on a date together.’ Joshua finished explaining his story.

‘You wanna know what I think...’ Joshua gave him a look, as if to say would he regret it if he said yes. ‘I say you pay this Eric a little visit.’

‘What do you mean?’

‘You know, go and have a word with him, man to wolf.’ His smile widened and Joshua thought for a moment that there was a hint of evil in his eyes. He said nothing at first but was about to when Caleb quickly added. ‘All I’m saying, is you use your power to get a little revenge...’ Caleb saw the look upon Joshua’s face, a look of worry and concern. ‘Nothing lethal, just frighten him off, maybe give him the scare of a lifetime.’

Joshua thought the idea over and he had to admit, it did sound like it would be a lot of fun. And it’s not like it could do any real harm he thought, he could just frighten Eric a little. The more Joshua thought about it the more he wanted to go along with it.

‘Well if I was to do something like that, tomorrow after school would be the perfect time. Eric always stays behind school late on Mondays to use the school gym.’

‘See, it’s not a bad idea. You know you want to, and you know you have the power to.’ Joshua ignored the fact that Caleb sounded completely evil right now and his thoughts strayed. He wondered how he would go about making this idea a reality. That night Joshua dreamt of the satisfaction he would get by doing what Caleb had suggested, and he only had to wait a whole school day until he could get that revenge.

Joshua had planned it all out; he would wait until after school to where he would drive his truck home and then return in his wolf form. That way if someone happened to be around after Joshua got his revenge they wouldn’t see him leave in his truck nor would they see him on foot. There wouldn’t be any evidence of him being there.

Joshua spent the day at school distracted once more, only this time it wasn’t a state of depression but much worse. Joshua couldn’t get the image of Eric’s scared face out of his head. The more Joshua thought about it the more desperate he wanted to go through with the idea, and soon enough Joshua hadn’t realised that the day had passed him by. The last bell rang and it was a shock to Joshua to find out that it was home time already.

Joshua went as planned and drove his truck home; he waited over an hour while he sat down and ate his dinner, then he told his grandmother that he had to be somewhere. Joshua walked down the streets until he found the first alleyway; this is where he changed into his wolf form. It was getting dark now which was what Joshua had hoped for, he could get around undetected a little easier now he thought. He would still stick to the edge of town until he got to the other side where the school was, just in case someone saw him.

Joshua’s four legs soon carried him all the way around to the school; it was now completely dark, darker than it should be because of the dark grey clouds hanging overhead. Joshua crossed the school parking lot; there were still a couple of cars left. Joshua had heard that there were evening classes you could take at school but he always thought it was a myth.

He made his way to the side of the school; across the field was the school’s gym. Joshua pushed opened the door to the gym, he looked around but there was no sign of Eric anywhere. He must have finished already Joshua thought, he could only hope now that if Eric was still here that he would be upstairs in the weight lifting room.

Joshua got lucky as the next few doors leading upstairs were left open. At the top of the stairs and through the open double doors, was a small canteen or waiting room. In this room there were different tables and chairs spread around, some vender-machines for food and drinks, and even a mini snack bar for other uses such as visitors. However this remained closed and unused most of the time.

As you entered the room the mini snack bar is located on the right, on the left side there is a huge window that stretched across the whole one side of the room, this overlooked the school gym below. If you continued forwards across the room there is another single door leading to more changing rooms and the weight lifting room. This is where Joshua hoped he would find Eric if he was still here.

At that moment, as Joshua crossed the room, he heard a bang from a door shutting. It sounded like it was coming from behind the door on the other side. Joshua hoped it was the one person he was looking for; he hid behind the mini snack bar and waited to find out. As Joshua kept an eye on the door he sure enough saw Eric appear into the room. Eric stopped in the middle of the room and rested his back pack upon one of the tables; he then proceeded to take out a bottle of water from his bag.

This was Joshua’s chance he thought, it was the perfect moment and now he had to decide. Was he in or was he out?

Joshua had to think quickly before Eric would leave. This was the only chance he would get to finally get the better of Eric, and he surely wasn’t going to miss it he thought. Joshua could feel his heart beat fast now, he has never felt his heart beat this fast before. He made his decision and jumped up onto the mini snack bar, as he did this he growled loudly making Eric spin around very fast. As Eric turned with fright he dropped his bottle of water and knocked his bag off of the table, he gave out an extremely loud gasp as he now stared into the fierce eyes of a black wolf.

Joshua could now hear Eric’s own heart beat start to pick up the pace, its beat tripled in speed and Eric became very fearful. Joshua was grinning on the inside, he knew he had the power over Eric and he didn’t want to let go of it. Joshua jumped off of the counter near Eric, this only made Eric jump backwards and trip over his own bag. Eric hit his a*s hard on the ground. The look on his face was priceless Joshua thought as he began to move ever so closely to Eric, his teeth was showing and drool was running from his chin.

Joshua continued to growl loudly, his growl only made Eric more nervous and in return that only made Joshua growl more evilly. Joshua kept edging towards Eric inch by inch and this made Eric slide backwards on his bum. Only now Eric couldn’t go any further because his back was already squashed up against the glass window. Joshua’s teeth grew wider, his growl more fierce and more drool slid off his chin. Eric’s life was flashing before his eyes, what were the chances of this happening to someone he thought

Joshua was practically hanging over Eric by now and thoughts of biting him crept into his mind. He was pondering what the taste of Eric’s skin would be like in his mouth and Joshua began to snap at him. Joshua was bloodthirsty and he couldn’t control himself, he looked up into Eric’s eyes wanting to see the fear and noticed that tears were streaming down his cheeks. Joshua drew back with shock, what was he doing he thought? This wasn’t like Joshua, he wasn’t a bad person, he couldn’t help but think that he had gone too far and now he was feeling guilty.

Eric covered his face in fear, and it seemed he was crying. Eric was so scared and Joshua could smell the fear on him. Joshua drew back some more and looked at the pathetic sight of a bully in front of him. He wasn’t filled with satisfaction as he had hoped but a feeling of wrong doing and guilt. Joshua turned and left Eric alone, he quickly exited the gym faster than he arrived. He didn’t feel good about this any longer.

Joshua stayed out all night knowing he wouldn’t sleep and not feeling like sleeping much anyway. He raced through town as fast as he could trying to burn off energy. He didn’t know where he was heading but that didn’t matter. Soon Joshua found himself at the old deserted Hotel, his personal sanctuary. He entered and descended the stairs, along the hallway at the very back he stopped outside one of the rooms. Here he changed back into his human form, standing in his birthday suit, before entering that very room. He had set up this room here recently when he fell out with Charlie. This Hotel had become his secret home where he could be himself, where he could be all alone. No one was around to judge him, to shout or argue with him.

To the side of the bed was a worn out set of drawers, inside a number of clothes. Joshua took out a set and got himself dressed. Still wide awake he didn’t stay put for long, instead he ventured throughout the Hotel to his own hearts content.

He was still feeling bad for what he had done to Eric and that emotion followed him everywhere he went. He knew he would regret this for weeks to come.

 

 



© 2014 Tony DM Hayward


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

88 Views
Added on August 17, 2013
Last Updated on February 17, 2014