Transformation

Transformation

A Chapter by Tony DM Hayward

 

A week passed by and everything went back to normal. Both Charlie and Joshua were friends once more and were probably brought even closer now. It was Friday 4th June now and the weekend was upon the school kids soon, this always brought out everyone’s laziness as they waited in anticipation of the numerous bell rings throughout the day.

Lunchtime was upon them and Joshua was sat at his usual table along with friends Jordon and Pete. Charlie and Jenifer had also joined them. Joshua always loved watching Jordon and Pete fight for the girl’s attention; neither stood a chance with either girl. Joshua thought that both of the lads would be happy if they were to actually get any responses to their advances. He chuckled silently to himself.

‘So Pete and I were thinking about heading to the theatre tonight, they got that new film out now. You guys in?’ Jordon spoke. He was the smooth talker of Joshua’s two friends, Pete was the dorky one. Both very different people but who have been friends longer than even Joshua and Charlie.

‘Sure, that’ll be cool.’ Jenifer said. Just the idea coming from Jordon made Joshua think, even though it seemed to be a group thing it was mostly another opportunity for him to hit on one of the girl’s. ‘Charlie, you’ll come right?’

‘Yeah sure.’ Charlie answered with little enthusiasm, before biting into her shiny red apple.

‘So Josh, you coming?’ Jordon asked, but Joshua hated group gatherings. He’d rather be alone.

‘Probably not, I got a lot of homework to catch up on.’ Jordon seemed unturned by this, what only mattered to him was that Charlie and Jenifer were going. Joshua spent the rest of lunch silent as he listened to the uninteresting conversations going on around the table; mostly the weather was the popular topic. Anyone could predict the weather of course, rain was a good guess and if you had said this than most of the time you would be right. According to Pete however it wasn’t supposed to rain later on.

Everyone had left the canteen and was heading outside, last was Joshua followed by Charlie.

‘You can’t think for one moment that you’re going to leave me with them tonight.’ Charlie smiled as she walked along side Joshua, her hands casually in her back two pockets of her jeans.

‘Like I said, I’ve got a lot of homework, preside Jenifer’s with you.’ Joshua responded.

‘Yeah but with you there Jord and Pete won’t stare so much.’ She continued to smile her infectious and warm smile upon Joshua, he hated when she did that.

‘Come on they’re not that bad.’

‘They’re like love sick puppies, if you try and shoo them away they just take it as a sign of recognition and then they’ll never leave you alone.’ She laughed; Joshua couldn’t hold back a smile himself. ‘Please...’ She held the word for a few seconds, in a begging tone. She teased him with an act of swaying her hips and pouty lips. ‘For me.’

‘Fine.’ Joshua smiled undetectably as he knew she could always get the better of him, just one of many traits that weakened him when it came to Charlie.

The following evening after school Joshua was driving towards town on his way home with Charlie in the truck, as she would usually be. Joshua pulled up to the lights and rested his elbow on the side window. As he did this his attention was elsewhere, just down the road to the left of him Joshua saw the same group of older kids from the fair ground. This was the third encounter now and Joshua wanted to seize the opportunity while he had a chance.

When the lights turned green Joshua immediately turned left down the road and drove towards them.

‘What are you doing?’ Charlie asked but he gave no reply. As Joshua neared they took off down an alleyway that they were standing near. Joshua pulled up by the curb, right in front of the alleyway and he could see the group casually walking further down into the darkly shadows. Joshua turned off the engine and opened the door.

‘Wait here, I’ll be back.’ He told Charlie before slamming the door shut and leaving the puzzled girl behind. He then set off down the alleyway himself. Joshua hurried quickly to catch up with the group. He was power walking down the alley way until he got to the end. At the end of the alleyway there were two ways Joshua could turn, he first looked to his right which seemed empty and dark, and then he looked to his left. To the left of him Joshua could see two of the gang members just turning another corner, so in response he quickly headed towards them.

As Joshua neared he slowed down and slightly appeared around the corner. When he did Joshua couldn’t see them. He quickly hurried down that part of the alleyway only to find another turning on his right. Yet again he couldn’t see them ahead of him anymore, so he continued on. At this point Joshua was almost jogging at times. He continued but no one seemed to be there. Joshua finally came to a dead end and now there was nowhere else to go. Joshua was stumped because there wasn’t anywhere for the gang to go. It was like the five of them had simply disappeared into fin air, and by now Joshua had learned to expect just about anything could be possible.

Joshua slowly walked back to the car and the awaiting Charlie. He got into the truck but never shut the door, his mind was elsewhere and he just sat there staring out of the front window.

‘What was that about?’ Charlie asked but Joshua must not have heard because he never answered. ‘Joshua!’ Charlie called out again, a little louder this time to get his attention.

‘Huh...’ Joshua mumbled as he noticed Charlie looking at him with a confused look on her face.

‘Are you ok?’

‘Oh yeah, I’m fine.’ Joshua said this in a one set tone, he was still stunned.

‘What’s going on, who were those people?’ Charlie asked again.

‘I don’t know, but I get a strange feeling every time they’re around.’ Joshua looked from the front to Charlie and back again, he was acting very odd Charlie thought.

‘Every time?’ Charlie noticed the indication that this was obviously not the first time Joshua had come across these people.

‘Yeah, I first saw them at the fair and then again that same night, right here in our home town, and now a third time. I don’t know why they’re here but I don’t think they are just passing through, otherwise they would have been gone by now. I just get a strange feeling that I’m connected with them somehow; I think they might know me or something.’ Joshua looked over to Charlie like if she was going to give him an answer to the mystery of who these people really was, however Charlie just stared back.

It was a few seconds before Joshua shut the truck door and drove him and Charlie back home. It was only a couple of hours until the movie was to start, so it wouldn’t be long until Joshua had to pick her up again.

That time had come when Joshua drove up to Charlie’s house to pick her up; he was getting out of the truck when Charlie was already hopping over to him, she must have been waiting his arrival. Joshua got back in the truck as did Charlie and he drove them to the theatre. He parked his rusty blue truck outside of the theatre on the opposite side of the road.

After the tickets were paid for, popcorn and sweets were next on the list before heading into the screen. Sweets were always a must when at the movie theatre, kids will be kids after all. Joshua took his turn after Jenifer, Jordon and Pete, Charlie stood at his side as he chose a couple of sweet bags and a medium coke.

‘You getting anything?’ Joshua asked Charlie.

‘No, I’m cutting down on my spending where it’s not necessary.’ She smiled.

‘Come on, it’s on me.’ Joshua said which was more than enough to convince Charlie to pick out some sweets of her own, how could she reject free food? Or sweets as it were. Joshua finished paying for the goods and they both then joined back up with the rest of the gang.

They headed towards screen 3 to watch their film and once inside it didn’t take long before they all decided on where to sit, a few rows from the front and right within the middle. Their seating arrangement sat Pete first, Jenifer next, then Jordon on her other side, and finally Joshua and Charlie after. Halfway through the film Joshua looked over to his left and noticed that Jordon had his left arm resting by Jenifer’s right arm and that his hand kept moving to hover over her hand.

Joshua knew as he watched Jordon return his hand to the arm rest and then back to hover over Jenifer’s hand again, that he was working up the guts to hold her hand. Joshua laughed inside and then he noticed something else. He could see Pete’s arm resting by the side of Jenifer’s other arm and he too was trying to hold her hand. They both mimicked each other’s movement and the funniest part, was that both lads were none the wiser of the other. Jenifer too was oblivious as she continued to keep her head looking straight forward.

Joshua looked to his right and saw Charlie’s own arm resting on the arm rest by the side of him. As he saw Charlie’s arm so near he suddenly had his own thoughts of wanting to hold her hand. But why would he want that? Joshua thought. Charlie was his friend and he didn’t feel that way towards her. So why then, did he want to wrap his fingers between hers and desired to be closer to her?

Joshua sifted uncomfortable with his thoughts in his seat and as he did he looked down again to his left. He saw that Jordon had won the race to be the first to hold Jenifer’s hand against Pete, who had now taken his arm away from the arm rest. It seemed Jenifer was ok with holding Jordon’s hand and gladly clung to him. Throughout the rest of the film Joshua couldn’t help but notice Jordon and Jenifer together. He tried throughout to stop his own thoughts from thinking about wanting to get closer to Charlie.

Soon the film ended and to which Joshua was glad for, he was the first to rush to his feet. Outside he deeply sniffed in the fresh air. He waited for everyone to say their goodbyes, he then had the drive home with Charlie to endeavour. Just the thought of being in the car alone with Charlie made his palms sweat, yet he still couldn’t fully understand why.

Joshua found himself nervously glancing over at Charlie the whole way home; she had even caught him at one time.

‘What?’ She smiled so innocently.

‘Nothing.’ He smiled back trying to act cool. They reached Charlie’s house and Joshua got out of the truck too, normally he would just say goodbye in the truck but he didn’t know what made him get out. Charlie questioned him in her mind thinking it was a little odd but she just brushed it off. They walked up the path towards her house and stopped right outside her door, Joshua turned to face her smiling and they both stood for a while in silence.

‘Well, bye.’ Charlie said awkwardly. She turned towards her door to leave, at the exact same time Joshua began to step forwards with his arms raised. Charlie realised what Joshua wanted and Joshua felt stupid for it. Seconds later Joshua began to turn away as Charlie leaned in for a hug, and now they both got stuck in a half hug, half twist limbo.

They both brushed it off with a laugh and this time they both went in for a hug, Joshua wrapped his arms around Charlie in a loving embrace. Joshua had hugged Charlie so many times but this time was different, he felt different about it and he didn’t know why that was. All he did know was that he never wanted to let go. However minutes later they parted and said their goodbyes, Joshua got back in his truck with a big sigh.

‘Stupid, stupid!’ He said to himself as he gripped the wheel and shook himself back and forward.

Back home Joshua let himself fall onto his bed with a big grunt out loud, he looked to his ceiling and recalled the events of that evening. He acted out of the ordinary he thought, almost like someone with a crush, but that couldn’t be it. Joshua stood again and began undressing his jacket and t-shirt revealing his bare chest. He walked over to his desk near the window; he put his hand on his house phone and thought about phoning Charlie.

He was considering phoning Charlie so that he could apologise for the way he acted, but something caught his eye outside. Joshua looked out his window and saw that the gang of five were standing right out his house; they were staring back at him. This made it the fourth time now and this time they were at his home. He knew they were there for him and he knew he needed to find out why.

Outside Joshua began inching towards them slowly, step by step, while they just stood not moving. One had bleached blonde and spiky hair, he was the tallest of the five and the way he stood amongst the others he seemed more important. He stood with one of the females with brunette hair, like they were together as a couple. Another of the males had dark brown hair that reached his shoulders, and then the third guy had black hair and he also stood with his arms around the second girl like they too were a couple. This girl was a blonde, with skinny but pretty looks.

‘Who are you?’ Joshua called out keeping his distant from them. They all kept quiet and all wore smiles on their faces.

‘Follow us.’ The blonde guy spoke with a big grin, after he spoke the others began to walk back while he stayed still; they all then began to run away including the blonde male. Joshua watched for a few seconds while they ran further form him, he quickly questioned what to do and in the spur of the moment he took off after them. Joshua didn’t know whether this was a good idea or not but he continued to run after the gang anyway. They were all within good distance to see but the gap in between them and Joshua remained the same throughout.

They was running at a fast speed but Joshua noticed that he too was running at a good speed, faster than any average man should be able to run. This was one of the benefits of being a skin-walker.

He followed the gang right into the forest to which they soon disappeared. Joshua stopped and wondered where they had gone, they were only there a minute ago he thought. Joshua walked in circles for a few seconds before one of them jumped out from behind a tree.

‘Boo.’ He shouted lamely before bursting into a giggling fit. Joshua didn’t jump nor was he scared but instead he stared at the one with dark brown hair, obviously being the geek one of the gang Joshua thought. He knew he shouldn’t be judging any of them so soon, for all he could guess it could be that they lured him here to kill him.

Soon the others appeared into view and surrounded Joshua; no one said anything which made the atmosphere eerie. Joshua now began to wonder more what was going to happen to him. Why was they here and who really were these people he silently asked? Joshua watched as they slowly walked around him, joining each other in a group to now stand in front. They looked like they were about to pounce on him Joshua thought.

‘Who are you?’ Joshua asked again, but no reply. ‘Why are you here?’ Joshua said after a while of silence. ‘Do you speak English, do you speak at all?’ Joshua had to wait a few more seconds of silence before he got an answer.

‘You already know who we are...’ The blonde guy spoke. ‘Or what we are.’ He said after a gap of silence. Joshua was slightly confused, he could only guess by what they meant.

‘I don’t understand.’ Joshua replied.

‘Adam.’ The blonde one spoke again, he said this without taking his eyes off Joshua and while still smiling. He must have been speaking to the one with black hair because this one stepped forward. Their smiles made Joshua’s spine shiver every time.

Adam looked at Joshua; he went from an upright standing position to slightly bending his knees and holding out his hands a little. He looked like he was getting ready to Soma-wrestle with Joshua. Joshua stared back with more confusion clouding his brain, he watched Adam who gradually began to shrink. His whole body bent forward and before Joshua’s very eyes he transformed into a black wolf.

Joshua’s eyes widened because he was surprise to witness this, he wasn’t frightened or shocked but he was taken back a little. This was the first time he watched someone transform. The wolf in front of him now sat and licked his lips, still looking up at Joshua.

‘We’re wolves just like you. That’s why you felt the connection, right?’ The blonde one appeared to be the spokesman of the group, Joshua thought about what he meant. He said the connection, what did he mean by that? That must be the feeling he got every time they were around Joshua thought.

‘Yeah.’ Joshua replied, more silently then his average voice.

‘The names Caleb, this is Lacie...’ He said nodding to the brunette girl leaning on his shoulder. ‘That’s Hugo...’ He made another motion with his head as he looked to the black haired one. ‘Lola...’ Again nodding towards the blonde girl. ‘And the dogs Adam.’ He finished.

‘Joshua.’ Joshua replied when Caleb looked back at him.

‘So are we going to have some fun now?’ The brunette female said into Caleb’s ear but loud enough for Joshua and everyone else to hear.

‘Yeah, fun.’ Hugo joined in.

‘What do ya say Joshua, wanna have a bit of fun?’ Caleb asked.

‘Um, sure.’ Joshua replied fearing to say no, he thought he wouldn’t be able to say no even if he really tried. As soon as Joshua agreed the others smiled and began to walk backwards as they rapidly changed into wolves one by one, now only Caleb and Joshua remained as normal. Caleb stared at him and Joshua knew that he was waiting for him to turn into a wolf himself.

‘I can’t...I can’t change, I mean I can’t do it willingly.’ Joshua said feeling like he was an outcast because he couldn’t do it; like it was a trend he wasn’t cool enough to be a part of.

‘Wait, you mean you can’t turn on demand.’ Caleb smiled. ‘Man, I never met anyone who couldn’t before.’

‘Well I’ve only just, found out who I was, so I haven’t learnt how yet.’ Joshua felt embarrassed as he said this out loud. Caleb looked around at his peers, who all were wolves and waiting for his direction.

‘Ok, well there’s no better time than now right? Give it a go.’ He said as though expecting Joshua to turn on the spot.

‘I don’t know what to do.’ Joshua said stupidly. Caleb took a few steps towards Joshua.

‘Ok, close your eyes...’ Caleb began saying as he neared Joshua some more, then he began to walk around him. Joshua did as he said and closed his eyes. ‘Image yourself standing here, image the shape of your whole body, image you.’ Caleb came around to stand in front of Joshua again. ‘Now image yourself changing into a wolf, think about your body changing, you fingers and arms and legs. Imagine them shifting and moulding into that of a wolf, and work up to imagining your whole body doing the same.’

Joshua listened to the words Caleb spoke; listened to everything he was saying and tried very hard to do what he described to do. But nothing seemed to happen and so Joshua became frustrated.

‘It’s not working.’ He complained.

‘You have to focus...’ He began sounding like a teacher, he stayed very calm. ‘Concentrate on the image of a wolf. But you can’t just see it, you have to feel it. Let the feeling of changing wash over you; let it vibrate through your entire body. The wolf is inside of you and wants to be released, feel him deep within you and let him come out. You have to learn to let go and trust your wolf inside.’

Joshua closed his eyes one more time and tried to feel his wolf inside, he thought about the other night he turned and the feeling he got that bubbled to the surface just before he began changing. Joshua remembered that emotion that took over him, the feeling he couldn’t control before he turned, right before he felt his body shape into the wolf.

At that moment, as Joshua was thinking about what he felt the last time he changed into a wolf, he began to feel something. The same feeling of that night was now stirring inside of him, getting stronger by the second. Joshua focussed on that feeling. Could it be that he was in control this time, and that he found this feeling which was inside all on his own?

Then it hit him suddenly, his muscles shrinking and stretching to shape into what he knew was coming. And before long, as if it happened within the time he could blink, it was over. This time when he changed it was different Joshua thought. It was much smoother, quicker and less painful than before. The pain was still there however, only it wasn’t as intense as the first few times he changed. He must be getting used to it he thought, like the more he changed the easier it got.

‘Nicely done.’ Caleb said as he stared down at a scruffy black wolf. Joshua looked up from a much lower point of view now knowing exactly what he was. He watched as Caleb bent down towards him looking as if he was about to strangle Joshua, but instead he just grinned widely. ‘Now let’s go and have some fun.’

 



© 2014 Tony DM Hayward


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

99 Views
Added on August 17, 2013
Last Updated on February 17, 2014