Changing patterns

Changing patterns

A Chapter by CrashDavis47

The sound of metal striking metal echoed through the smithy. There was something about the way the glowing metal formed to his will that calmed Thaedon. Sweat trickled down his brow as he continued to labor. His arms and back were burning with the strain brought on from a hard days use. Slowly with each strike of the hammer the metal began taking shape. Repetition was the key heating, cooling , hammer and anvil. In time what he willed would be. This was Thaedon's sanctuary this place in all the world where things made sense and would continue to. Here he was master.
"Boy how are the horseshoes coming?" asked master killian from the other side of the smithy. Thaedon pulled the horseshoe from the anvil and placed it in water filled bucket to his right. Steam rose in curling waves as it made its way to the ceiling. Making sure it had cooled Thaedon released the clamps and let the shoe drop as he turned to speak. Master killian owned the smithy and had taken him on as an apprentice due to thanks to his father Kale. Despite the fact his father owned an in he had insisted that Thaedon be apprenticed " No man should be without trade of is own" his father often said. Smiling to himself Thaedon grumbled his reply " Master Killian i just finished the last of them." Killian replied in his usual manner " took your time with it didnt you boy?" 
Despite the fact that Thaedon was in his twentieth summer Master killian found it humorous to refer to him as boy. Though it used to bother him Thaedon had began to enjoy the easy manner in which master Killian treated him since his coming of age. "faster than you would have done em you old goat." Master Killian although late into his fiftieth summer was powerfully built short yet solid, slosely resembling a gnarled old oak. No grey touched his black hair yet you could see the  beginning of it showing in his beard. "Hah" Killian bellowed as his deep laughter sounded through the smithy " the day you can work quicker than me is the day i hang up my hammer boy" Thaedon though not as thick as master Killian was still strongly built. Years in the smithy and seen muscle built up on his frame. 
A head taller than Killian made Thaedon about a hands breadth taller than an average man. Many men were taller but none could boast to being stronger. " Its time for you to be off boy ye know your father will be expecting you home to help with the evening chores" Thaedon nodded and asked as he began walking" Will you need me tomorrow master Killian?" He replied with a grunt, an easy smile that just didnt seem right on his stern face and said " Come tomorrow lad ill have work. Thaedon had finished his apprenticeship mid way through his eighteenth summer yet held back from finding his own smithy. His father needed him and work had to be done. Besides despite his fathers wishes Thaedon still dreamed of joining the kings army. 
He knew they could use a strong man like him and he wished to see more of the world than Haven. A small village at the northern end of the kingdom that had served as his home and thus far his whole world. Thaedon was sure that he needed more, he wanted more this couldn't be his entire life. Their had to be a way to convince his father to let him set his own course in life.  Nodding to master Killian Thaedon headed out of the smithy and began making his way south toward the crossroads outside of town where his fathers Inn resided.
Known as the Dancing Dragon inn it was one of the very few places near haven that supplied entertainment, ale, and great food. His father Kale prided himself on his business and made every possible improvement he could over the years. Old timers who still remember the place before my father bought it never stopped talking about my father and how well he has done with the place. The sun was setting on the horizon which meant Thaedon would spend the last mile of his trek home in darkness. The Dancing Dragon in was a few miles outside of town south along the road. 
The kings road to be exact named such simply because it led to the heart of the Kalorian kingdom. The Nations capital was a week or mores ride south and east. Thaedon had always wished to visit Twin cities and meet the king. It was called the twin cites due to the fact it was cut though the middle by a river connected by a lone Bridge and series of ferry's. Commoners and tradesmen  resided on the eastern side of the river while the king and nobles on the western side. It was said to be built by master craftsmen who carved much of the kings keep into the mountainside. 
Thaedon shook his head " One day" he murmured to himself" I will see the twin cities"  Speeding up his pace to a jog and soon after a run he went through the last mile quickly. Kale was waiting outside the Inn a knowing smirk on his face" Took your time getting home tonight my son" Thaedon could only shake his head and continue forward. Kale stood half a head taller than Thaedon, he was more lean yet nearly as strong. Kale though nearly through his fifty second summer didn't look a day older than forty five. That old only due to the slight graying of hair at his temples. 
 Kale had earned his money for the in by serving in the kings army he never spoke much of his time in the army. At least not to Thaedon however Kale had made sure to teach his son how to defend himself. Everyday since his twelfth summer they had worked part of each evening after all the chores were done to train. It had always confused Thaedon that his father would spend so much time teaching him to fight when Kale sternly refused to give his blessing to join the army. 
Kale would simply say " what i teach is to defend yourself when a fight finds you son not for you to search out trouble."  They had began training with simple stretches and exercises. " In order to fight you must be flexible, you must be strong" Those words haunted him through his first year of training. Next they moved to unarmed combat, this consisted of various throws, trips, grappling, and disarming techniques " You wont always have the advantage my son you must be ready, you are the weapon your sword a tool without it you are just as deadly." When Kale thought him proficient enough that he could handle himself in a fight they began training in the blade.
Summers have come and passed and still Kale had him training each evening and still Kale easily handled Thaedon on nearly every occasion. " would have beat you here today if you had worked as i did today father" Thaedon smirked knowing how this would irritate the old goat. Kale however didn't rise to the bait at least not how Thaedon intended. " is that right? well how about a race to the training circle then just to see how quick you are" Thaedon nodded his assent and moved to Kales side. " Ready when you are Father" "Go" Kale shouted Thaedon sped off puting everything he had into this race. Beating Kale at anything was rare and he hated losing. 
After his thirtieth stride the circle visible in the distance maybe fifty more strides at full sprint he felt a hand grasp his shoulder. Kale quickly pulled him off balance throwing Thaedon to the earth he chuckled as he passed and said " Thaedon my son you forget that age and treachery wins every time" Thaedon had rolled as best he could feeling with a certainty born of experienced that his shoulder would be bruised on the morrow. Quickley he was on his feet racing after his father. 
Kale beat Thaedon by three full strides still laughing as he slowed near the circles center. Shaking his head Thaedon slowed as he neared Kale, he should have expected something was up his father never made things easy. Kale was still chuckling to himself as he uncovered the practice swords that were hidden. Kale and Thaedon had dug a small place for their gear years before deep enough to hold everything easily and lined with pine. Kale tossed a practice sword to Thaedon and began stretching. 
"Today is the day i beat you old man" Thaedon said just loud enough for his father to hear. " Is that right my boy? seems the lesson i taught you a just a moment ago didn't stick"  Thaedon quietly continued stretching until he knew he was ready. Taking his sword in hand he paced to the center of the circle and raised the blade vertically until the hilt was level with his eyes. Although they weren't real blades just lead weighted would they still left bruises and in some cases broke bones. " Ready when you are Kale". He watched as Kale moved forward fluidly like a river flowing gracefully and with purpose. 
Thaedon began circling to his right, ready eyes watching for the slightest tensing of muscles, for any sign of movement. Quick as a striking snake Kales blade darted forward low a slashing strike meant to take his left leg off just below the knee. Thaedon moved quickly  bringing his left leg backwards at the same time as he swung his sword down to meet Kales. A loud crack sounded as the power from the swords meeting moved through the length of the blade leaving Thaedons hands stinging. Quickly without thought they began a dance; beautiful, graceful death. Strike and counter balance and power fast and moving faster. Thaedon was stronger but Kale had the advantage in reach and speed. 
Thaedon was by no means slow but neither is the snake that falls to the mongoose. The work of the day began taking its toll, Thaedon was forced to simply defend he could no longer attack not without taking the blade of his father somewhere soft and painful. Wait maybe that is the answer he thought to himself mustering all what speed and strength he had left Thaedon began to attack sparingly just enough to keep Kale at bay. Waiting for the moment he knew would come Kale would leave an opening one that Thaedon couldn't hope to exploit for the simple fact that it was a trap. Sweat was stinging his eyes as it flowed pouring down his face.
"Now"  Thaedon shouted in his mind he struck wildly to his right knowing the attack would fail, knowing the counter would come to his left. He watched as Kale flicked his strike aside as if he were a child and quick and vicious. Thaedon twisted to his right and struck with all his speed and might. He felt the sting of Kales blow as it connected with his hip, pain shot through his body but he wouldn't be denied. What felt like ages in his mind was only a fraction of a second his sword sliced through the air and struck Kale in the ribs just below his armpit. 
They both stood panting slightly hunched each to their wounded side. Thaedon smiled to himself it had cost him but in the end it was a draw. Not a win but not a loss. Thaedon could live with that. When he looked up Kale had a grim looking smile on his face. " Today you have learned one of the last lessons i have to teach my son" " you can never win if your trying to keep from being hurt, you sacrificed your body knowing i would strike and in a fight i would be dead and you would live" Kale spoke with solemn authority a knowing that washed over Thaedon as he realized the true implications to his actions. 
" I see you now understand fully what you have done, remember this my son it may save your life one day" Thaedon nodded as Kale continued. " Enough for the day let us return home dinner is waiting" Thaedon smiled as a placed all of their gear back in its place "Aye father i definitely could eat about now" Kale chuckled as they began walking towards the inn. " Thaedon name a time you couldnt eat you overgrown bull" Thaedon had no reply simply laughed and nodded. 
The minutes passed and they came closer to home Thaedon could sense something was different he could see a light in the distance this was normal as it was the lantern above the door of the Dancing Dragon that was always lit while the innkeeper was awake. However what was different he noticed as they closed in was the man waiting near the stables. His horse was tied near the trough of water kept for those stopping for dinner or simply a night of entertainment. 
He was dressed in black, and hooded as they drew near the man moved quickly to his feet. " Are you the keeper of this in? " the man asked politely Kale nodded as he cautiously moved forward "aye" he said " and how can i help ya master?" Kale unlocked the door to the in as he waited for an answer. The man pulled his hood back and stated " Dinner will do Master innkeeper" Kale motioned for him to enter then turned to Thaedon " fetch some wood for the fire" once Thaedon was out of earshot Kale turned to the man smiling " seems the pup has grown up, why are you here Galen?" Galen smiled in return as he replied " seems the wolf has grown old, i was sent by the king Mikkel." Kale nodded as he closed the door catching one last glimpse of his son as he hurried about his task. He nodded to a table and they both quickly sat, Kale growled " Speak then Galen and be quick".


© 2012 CrashDavis47


Author's Note

CrashDavis47
please let me know if this is coherent and what changes i need to make. I've written enough to know i make plenty of mistakes and dont always make things as clear as they seem to me. I know what im trying to say and therefore what i write provides enough information. constructive criticism welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

What better way to begin this chappy than at the blacksmith? i could imagine it all very well. Moving on, your story here is seriously EPIC but, at the same time, it definitely needs some touching up. I can see that you have some idea about your characters, story line, along with combat. The spar description was superb! I applaud you. Still, as I said beforehand, you must look over your grammar errors here. I'm not perfect, mind, but I'm willing to give you some advice again.

1. You need to start a new sentence whenever someone new speaks. Such as this: Thaedon speaks (Enter) Kale speaks (Enter) Thaedon speaks again (Enter). That will organize your conversation as well as make it clearer for your readers.

2. You must watch out for your words. I noticed you spelled "Inn" as "In". "Inn" is a tavern or place to stay. "In" represents within or inside something. Also you must put in periods, commas, and dashes at bits. Then, your stuff will be superb.

Anyway, keep up your good work here, bud. I enjoyed this chapter very much and also liked the lesson in the sparring. Very handy for the future, eh? I'm going to give this a 75/100. No offense but you did good overall. Looking forward to your next chapter! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Eryn ♪

11 Years Ago

I very much agree here with everything Cousitarian said. Also I would like to point out one part whe.. read more
Eryn ♪

11 Years Ago

Otherwise very good job



Reviews

What better way to begin this chappy than at the blacksmith? i could imagine it all very well. Moving on, your story here is seriously EPIC but, at the same time, it definitely needs some touching up. I can see that you have some idea about your characters, story line, along with combat. The spar description was superb! I applaud you. Still, as I said beforehand, you must look over your grammar errors here. I'm not perfect, mind, but I'm willing to give you some advice again.

1. You need to start a new sentence whenever someone new speaks. Such as this: Thaedon speaks (Enter) Kale speaks (Enter) Thaedon speaks again (Enter). That will organize your conversation as well as make it clearer for your readers.

2. You must watch out for your words. I noticed you spelled "Inn" as "In". "Inn" is a tavern or place to stay. "In" represents within or inside something. Also you must put in periods, commas, and dashes at bits. Then, your stuff will be superb.

Anyway, keep up your good work here, bud. I enjoyed this chapter very much and also liked the lesson in the sparring. Very handy for the future, eh? I'm going to give this a 75/100. No offense but you did good overall. Looking forward to your next chapter! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Eryn ♪

11 Years Ago

I very much agree here with everything Cousitarian said. Also I would like to point out one part whe.. read more
Eryn ♪

11 Years Ago

Otherwise very good job

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

289 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 28, 2012
Last Updated on December 28, 2012


Author

CrashDavis47
CrashDavis47

denver, CO



About
Im an aspiring author, what i want to do in life is write novels. Im trying to take a serious go at this so please comment and critique my writing. anything to help me be a better writer is welcome more..

Writing