what is it you scour?

what is it you scour?

A Chapter by Tuff Stuff

 

 Lula woke up the next morning from the call of an old crow named Perreguay. He was one of the oldest crows, yet he still had the loudest call in Goldedcrow. If one day Perreguay passed away (which seemed to be soon) no crow would ever be the same. He was too important to the grounds to be forgotten.

 

Lula found herself struggling to get her mind in place. She was a nervous wreck and on top of that she had an important meeting to attend to that evening. She dragged herself out of her nest and flew to the eating quarters for breakfast. It was well before time to be there, but she liked talking to the cooking-crows. They were her only friends considering her father was to allow only the wealthy to befriend his daughter. Lula would disobey her father at times by flying with one of her cooking friends at times when her father was at a meeting. 

 

"Hello Lula." Belle blurted as she flew in. It was a nice roomy dome with feathers going this way and that preparing meals for all the Goldedcrow residence. "I made your favorite breakfast. Caterpillar." She smiled at Lula then hurried over to a new cooking crow that had just ruined a recipe. Belle was the senior cooking crow who had most likely the oddest colors on the grounds. Instead of the traditional black she had a tint of read with an almost yellow tail. Lula made her way through the chaos and found Gregory, her mentor, getting barrels ready for something.

 

"This looks like fun." Lula squealed looking in the empty barrels.

 

"It's not fun. It's hard work." Greg squawked pushing the barrels against the opening on the far wall. "I'm getting ready for a scour."

 

"I've always wanted to go on a scour." Lula jumped up and down with enthusiasm. Greg just rolled his eyes and went to his next set of barrels.

 

"You don't even know what a scour is do you?" Greg asked.

 

"Sure I do." Lula confidently squawked folding her wings and acting as if she knew everything. "Why wouldn't I? That's a stupid thing to ask a crow." Greg flew on top of one of the barrels looking down at Lula with his brow raised.

 

"Really? Tell me then. What is it you scour?" He asked folding his wings as well. All the crows looked at them wondering if she knew. Lula noticed this and stepped closer to him for no one to hear. "Well?"

 

"Okay. I don't know. Now stop making a scene." Lula insisted blushing and looking nervously at the others.

 

"I didn't expect a spoiled little princess to know anything about scouring anyway." Greg spat at Lula making sure she understood the full cruelness of it. She pouted and turned her back to him. "I'm your mentor not your friend. Don't think I'll be nice to you all the time." He whispered to Lula. "And by the way scouring is     the grueling job we do to get the food." 

 

"Can I come with you?" Lula asked.

 

"Now why would you want to scour so suddenly? You may get your perfect wings spoiled." Greg teased.

 

"I can get just as dirty as any other crow here. It won't bother me a bit. Please Greg. I never get to go to these things. Just once?" Lula pleaded. Greg spun around looking out the opening and up to the sun to see what time of day it was. He looked back at Lula with a not so confident gaze.

 

"Where's your father?" Greg squawked.

 

"I get it. I won't come." Lula slumped.

 

"No. Where is he?" Greg asked impatiently.

 

"At a meeting why?" Lula asked confused.

 

"I suppose you can come with me only this one time." Lula's face glowed with excitement. "But this isn't fun and games understand? It's business." Lula nodded happily and helped with the last barrel before flying out the opening towards the thick wood beyond Goldedcrow. 

 

 

 

 

 

 



© 2008 Tuff Stuff


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Raj
More than the story, it's the treatment you have given that I find wonderful. The names you've given to the characters give them a real identity and makes me feel for them. Wonderful read. Good work.

Posted 15 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Jam
I like it very much... Lula sounds quite an interesting character, full of life, rebellous at times and loves adventure... You can experiment with writing more chapters on her adventures.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I really like Lula!
She reminds me a little of a king, prefering to eat porridge with the kitchen staff, though his wife has forbidden him to eat porridge because 'it is for the working class' (This is a rumour that I heard about our previous king (Baudouin) who could enjoy the simple things in life and liked to get acquainted with staff members)
Sometimes he would turn up incognito in a little village shop insisting on being treated as ever other customer.
You are making a statement here, yes, people of the so called higher classes should know how the other half lives!
Well, tomorrow, I'll be reading the next part, I am looking forward to it!

Posted 15 Years Ago


Interesting...never thought of bird having similar reactions as a person. Under all their feathers, how would you be able to tell?

You really need to make sure that your characters are described. Some of these attributes you are giving them are inconsistent with what readers may have of them since crows are not really known for blushing. Something to work on.

Posted 15 Years Ago


loved the style

Posted 15 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
zak
This is good. Just make sure to really develop your characters and get in to gross detail about your setting. It's unique - which is cool.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

261 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 1, 2008
Last Updated on August 2, 2008


Author

Tuff Stuff
Tuff Stuff

Surrey, England ><, England



About
I like to write! Which Element Are You?FireFire, Black Fire, Blue Fire, Lava, The Sun, etc.Click Here to Take This QuizBrought to you by YouThink.com quizzes and personality tests. Name Generators .. more..

Writing
The Aprisa The Aprisa

A Story by Tuff Stuff


A-MILE-HIGH A-MILE-HIGH

A Story by Tuff Stuff



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Snooping Snooping

A Chapter by Tuff Stuff