Chapter 18

Chapter 18

A Chapter by Violette

        Bridget straightened the last chunk of her wavy brown hair as the sun beamed through her bedroom window, reflecting off the mirror she was staring into. It was about 9:30, and she felt extremely well rested and fresh. To Bridget, it almost seemed like a typical school morning…even though at this point in the day she would be in English class. Even so, a normal school day was far from what that morning actually was. That morning was the morning she had been waiting for, the day she had been waiting forever for since she was accepted into ICGS. It was Saturday, December 12, the day of the 23rd Annual International Cultural and Geographical Studies competition. And she was more ready than she ever thought imaginable.

                             ~

          “You ready to go, sweetheart?” Mrs. Hunt called to Bridget from the hall as she slid on her winter coat.

          Bridget was swiftly bustling around in the kitchen-living room area, making sure she had everything. Her mental checklist was quickly minimized as she finally stood still and thought about what she needed. It turned out everything she had in mind was safely being carried in her deep blue satchel. Likewise, she answered, “Yes!” to Mrs. Hunt. Bridget heard a brief response from Mrs. Hunt including something along the lines of “I’ll be in the car”, so she decided to take on last look in the mirror before she left. Bridget paced over to the bathroom.

          She first examined her hair. It was shiny, pin-straight, and without any visible flyaway hairs. Her face was radiant with makeup she didn’t typically wear, which included light brown eye shadow that brought out the green in her blue eyes, mascara, and a little blush for color. She then glanced down to her rather studious-looking deep maroon and gray argyle sweater, and last her pressed dark khaki slacks. There was fashionable and non-clashing contrast with her deep brown velvet flats and her pants. All in all, her outfit complete with small diamond earrings was in fact, very presentable for her presentation.

          With that, Bridget briskly switched off the bathroom light, put on her woolen pea coat, and headed out the door and into Mrs. Hunt’s glossy SUV.

          Mrs. Hunt smiled as Bridget hopped into the passenger seat. “Well,” she said, as she pulled out of the driveway, snow falling onto the car. “I have to say, you look like quite the adult there, Bridget Cadwell.”

          Bridget grinned in gratitude as she clicked on her seatbelt. “Oh, thank you. I was hoping this would be decent for the competition…I don’t really have a clue on what to wear.”

          Mrs. Hunt nodded. “Well you look very pretty, and smart, too,” She said, making a left turn toward the school as she complimented Bridget.

          “Thanks,” Bridget said happily. Her eyes then darted toward the clock. It was 10:19 a.m., a little before the bus would take off to the Dover Community Center, which was where schools from all over the state met to have the ICGS competition. 

          As they approached the school, Bridget saw that Henry’s and Mrs. Streisand’s car were already there, along with a three-car line of other club members’ parents dropping them off. Mrs. Hunt lined up behind the three, as Bridget watched Ellen Castleberry exit from a small red car, and watched the car pave its way through the perfect layer of snow on the parking lot. Soon, enough, Mrs. Hunt and Bridget were to the front, and Bridget opened the door of the passenger side for herself. As she slung her deep blue satchel over her shoulder, Mrs. Hunt extended her hand and placed it on Bridget’s.

          “Good luck, honey.” She said sincerely. “You do the absolute best you can, and no matter what happens, just know that it has been a wonderful experience for you.” Mrs. Hunt placed her hand back on the wheel.

“Thank you,” Bridget said, just as earnestly. “I will.” Bridget then got out of the car. “Bye!” She said, as she shut the door of the car. Mrs. Hunt waved as she pulled away. Bridget waved back, and when Mrs. Hunt was finally out of eyesight, Bridget started walking toward the bus, which was already started up, and she assumed that it was where everyone was. The bus was on the complete other side of the lot, so she crossed her arms over her satchel to keep warm on the way over. When she reached the bus, the jolly-looking driver opened the doors promptly for her to come in. Bridget began up the stairs, and as she said, “Thank you,” she was, without a moment of silence going buy, leapt onto by two large hugs from Charlotte and Della, who were both squealing with joy and excitement.

          “Hey guys!” Bridget said as they released her. She was not surprised at their tremendous giddiness.

“Aren’t you excited!” She said, as she looked back further into the bus. The only other people on it were Ellen, Hugh, and Dane. Bridget wanted to say “hi” but she was interrupted by more exclamations from Charlotte and Della.  

“Well, aren’t you?!” Della asked rhetorically, and almost breathlessly, due to her eagerness. She then shook into a new manner of cheerfulness.

“C’mon!” Della said, as if trying to convince Bridget to be oh-so joyous as she was. “Everyone’s excited!” She began jumping up and down, but then quieted her voice and leaned into Bridget. “Even Dane smiled when he boarded the bus.” She raised her eyebrows suggestively to Bridget. Bridget rolled her eyes playfully.

 Charlotte then joined in. “You can’t act like you’re not excited!” Charlotte blurted out, bouncing back and forth on her feet.

          “Of course I’m excited!” Bridget said, a wide smile emerging from her face. She then bit her lip. “Just a little nervous.” She looked around tentatively but still kept her smile, for she did not want to ruin the mood.

          Charlotte then nodded her head. “Okay, ‘cause if you weren’t, we’d have to get you hyped up somehow…” She said mysteriously, as she bent backward to get something that was sitting on a seat by her. She rapidly pulled out the largest bag of Jolly Ranchers Bridget had ever seen.

          “Oh my gosh!” Bridget said, literally shocked that a quantity of Jolly Ranchers that large was actually manufactured somewhere. She gasped in disbelief.  “It’s enormous!”

          “I know!” Charlotte said, as she set the humungous bag back down. “My mom got them at Rite Aid last night for us. I think we might even have some left over even if everyone has some…you think?” Charlotte said.

          “Oh, definitely.” Bridget said. She looked at both of them, smiled, and pulled them in for another hug. They all jumped around together in exhilaration. When they were finished, they realized that a line consisting of Jade, Mark, Mrs. Streisand, Jamal, and Henry was clumped behind them and that they needed to move.

          “Hey, girls,” Mrs. Streisand said contentedly to them as they backed into temporary seats to let people through.

          “Hey, Mrs. Streisand,” Della said. “I AM SO EXCITED!” She burst out, making almost everyone in the bus look at her.

          Mrs. Streisand laughed in good spirits. “Oh, Della, I can always count on you to get the energy going.”

          Della’s smile broadened. “Well, it’s the day of the competition! I am pumped!” Della said.

Mrs. Streisand took a seat in the very front behind the driver, and chuckled at Della’s extreme enthusiasm.

Jamal then passed by, with Mark and Jade holding hands behind him, and then Henry.

“Hey guys,” Henry said cheerfully. “You ready for today?” He rubbed his hands together quickly, in anticipation.

“Oh, yeah,” Charlotte said. “But wait,” she said, holding her index finger up for a second, as she grabbed the oversize bag of Jolly Ranchers. “This is for a little sweet something before we get there. And also, instant celebration treats if we win!” Charlotte said. 

Henry looked at the bag and laughed. “Wow, that’s great! I’m glad someone brought a little bit of something to snack on.” Henry held his hand up in the air. “C’mon, Charlotte, high five!”

Charlotte meekly accepted his request with a slap on the palm. As Henry turned for a quick second to get his things, Charlotte elbowed Bridget in the side. Bridget then looked at Charlotte, and already knew what she was thinking, by the expression on her face, and the deep shade of red she was turning. Della looked at both of them, smiled knowingly and folded her arms. Charlotte smiled even more, happy that her friends understood what she was getting at.

Just then, Henry turned around, and they all agreed to start looking for a good place to sit, as the last club member, Kara, boarded the bus.

Bridget led Della, Charlotte, and Henry down the aisle of the bus to find suitable seats. She scanned the ones that were taken up already. Hugh and Jamal sat together, listening to Hugh’s ipod, Jade and Mark were comfortably talking in a seat, Kara and Ellen were looking through an educating book about Greece one last time before the competition, and, like always, Dane was all the way in the back in the short, one-person seat that always allowed the user to be extremely anti-social. But that was Dane. He was holding a tablet of paper, sketching away with a black pastel-like utensil. Bridget tried to look away, but for some reason her efforts to cease paying attention to him broke. She tried to enter that moment as nonchalant to herself, but it stuck in her head. She knew that she still was interested in him. But not like Charlotte and Della think…She said to herself half-heartedly. She then shook it off, realizing that she was almost in the back of the bus, where Dane was. She sighed inwardly. Nonetheless, she took the second to last seat on the left side, as Della sat in the last seat behind Bridget, and Henry and Charlotte sat together on the right side diagonal from Bridget and Della.

The bus started up, ready to move. Right at that moment, Mrs. Streisand stood up from her seat, and started to speak, like the professional advisor she was. “Okay, it’s about an hour to Dover from here, so, try not to get too antsy.” She smiled, hee turquoise jewelry jingling as she moved. “In addition,” she said more seriously, “I wish you all, as a team, as individuals, the best of luck,” She smiled solemnly, but positively, at all of the team members. “And just try to keep in your minds, that no matter how this all turns out, that I couldn’t have seen better leadership--” She glanced at both Henry and Charlotte. “�"And teamwork from each and every one of you. All of you are extremely talented and intelligent, and no matter what, just know that you have already won, even if the judges say differently.” Mrs. Streisand looked at all of them sincerely. “Now, let’s try our best and win that trip and title!”

A chorus of cheers and applause came from the members, stirring up sudden enthusiasm and togetherness from almost every member. With that, the bus started up, and started to pull away from the school to Dover.

“So,” Henry said, getting comfortable in his seat. Bridget watched Charlotte smile in a twitterpated manner behind Henry as he spoke. “We all know what we’re going to say…but do you want to run through it one more time?” He asked, shifting his canvas messenger bag to the floor of the bus.

“Sure, yeah,” Della answered for Bridget and Charlotte, who definitely agreed. Della then looked across the aisle at Dane, who was folded up by the window, heavily consumed in a sketch.

She cleared her throat hesitantly. “Hey, uh, Dane, you want to join in? We’re practicing our intro and stuff. You know, since you and I share and intro I was thinking…you might want to…practice?” Her deep chocolate eyes got wide with her question, hoping he would accept.

He looked at her and shook his head. He mumbled in a dull tone something completely indecipherable, and went back to his sketch.

Della looked around awkwardly. “Well, uh,” she looked back at Dane. “You sure?”

Dane nodded solemnly without taking his eyes off his sketch.

Della looked down, pursing her lips. She then looked up, clapped her hands together, initiating the practicing. “Okay! Henry, you first.” She said energetically.

“Alright,” Henry said, and then began the introduction.

At first, Bridget listened, but her attention shifted quickly over to Dane. Bridget looked across the aisle at him. The intensity and focus in his green eyes as he drew every intricate line was making Bridget’s stomach felt like a concentrated bottle of club soda that had just burst. And as soon as she looked away and it fizzled out, she couldn’t help but look back again and be filled with the same exciting feeling. Every time she looked at him, she felt absorbed, and she had no clue why. What was making her sick was the fact that Henry had so much more in common with her, and he always was so kind, but Bridget felt so much more intrigued by Dane. He was a mystery that Bridget couldn’t stand to leave unsolved. But Henry…they were just friends.

Bridget’s intense stream of thought was abruptly ended by sudden applause from Della and Charlotte, who were clearly congratulating Henry for his perfect introduction.

“Thank you,” he said dramatically, in a pretend way. He then straightened up, and cleared his throat, and introduced Charlotte. “Charlotte O’Brien, VP!” he said. 

Della and Henry began clapping ceremoniously for Charlotte, and only then did Bridget realize that she wasn’t including herself in the process. She began to clap, but her delayed reaction caused her to stop almost as soon as she started.

“Thank you, thank you,” Charlotte said. She then began her intro interestingly, but Bridget’s thoughts slipped right back to Dane. She then pulled herself out, knowing she was next in the ‘intro line’. But she couldn’t keep herself from at least glancing at him once more. But she looked straight into what she wasn’t expecting.

There was Dane, looking at her like Bridget like she had never seen. She was barely sure he had ever looked at her directly in the eye besides the one time where she had clearly pestered him to the ends of the earth a week earlier. But this time was different. The look in his eyes wasn’t dull, it wasn’t cold, or unkind, it was something Bridget couldn’t pinpoint, which is exactly why she expected Dane to look away the instant she caught his eye. He blushed slightly as he continued back to his sketch. Bridget’s insides seemed like they were wavering back and forth like a rippling rope suspending down a canyon. She looked away from him, took a sharp breath in, and began to pay attention to Charlotte. Even then she felt his eyes dart over to her on occasion, which made her feel even more jumpy. Nonetheless, she knew it was her turn to do an intro soon, so she tried to concentrate.

“…And even in contemporary views, Greece is still scrutinized as a highly historical, intriguing nation that has many, many things to offer from the past, and present.” Charlotte ended her intro with a quick smile.

Della’s face lit up as her eyes gleamed at Charlotte. “Ooo, Char, I forgot how great that sounded!” Della said. “Bravo!” She said, beginning to applaud.

“I agree,” Henry said. “Great job!” He said, following Della in clapping.

Bridget decided to join in the applause before it seemed like she wasn’t paying attention…again. After all, it was her turn next.

“Thanks, guys,” Charlotte grinned satisfactorily.      

Bridget’s piece was the third of the four introductions, and her’s had to do with mythology and it’s impact on Greek civilization, modern and ancient. The fourth intro was by Della and Dane, who were in charge of speaking about the battle of Troy, and the legend of Achilles, while presenting the Trojan horse. Henry’s was about Modern Greek geography, and Charlotte’s was about Greece’s history in general, and how it impacted the world, and how it rose and fell. All of these introductions corresponded with some part of a billboard and would be said at different times. Jade, Ellen, and Hugh would speak about modern and ancient Greek government. Last, Jamal, Mark, and Kara were in charge of focused on tidbits of customs and religious information, including presenting the temple models. Then Henry would wrap it up with a brief conclusion about how many hours the team put into the total presentation, and why the team deserves to win. Then Charlotte would promptly hand the judges a folder including a bibliography, and other validity papers.

The bus ride continued for another forty minutes after all four of their introductions were done (minus Dane’s part in his and Della’s intro) and included much talk about how nervous and excited everyone was for the competition. About halfway through, Charlotte pulled out the Jolly Rancher bag, opened it, and began tossing the candy to whomever wanted it. After about twenty minutes, most was everyone pumped up and ready to go. Della and Charlotte were collaborating about the other schools that may or may not be there, and Henry had moved up a few seats to talk to Hugh and Jamal and presentation tips. Even though Bridget was as equally excited as everyone else, she remained sitting in the same seat, second from the back, on the left side. She couldn’t bring herself to talk much after her introduction, for she was so focused on Dane. As she slid a cherry Jolly Rancher to the corner of her mouth, she looked sideways over to him. He was still sketching, but not as intensely as before. He seemed to have almost finished his sketch (whatever it was) and was busy perfecting it by erasing and detailing it with shading and different lines. While he continued, Bridget glanced over at him a few times, realizing that he looked nicer than usual, which made her feel all the more interested. Bridget felt butterflies as she observed how good he looked with a collared long sleeve shirt instead of his usual simple style. But then she forced herself to look away. But it was tempting to look back.

After about three more minutes, Bridget saw him pick up his sketchbook, look at it approvingly, and slide it into his bag. He continued to sit quietly and look out the window. This was when Bridget looked away. She had figured, even though he had glanced at her more than a couple times, she would never get a chance to figure him out. He was silently stubborn and had never showed any kind of positive emotion, and that bothered Bridget continuously. So, there, in the back of a bus filled with high spirits and happiness, she decided to officially forget about Dane. After all, she was going back to Britain in six months, wasn’t she? She felt really thick for letting someone so stoic and so complicated enter her mind so often.

The bus chugged to a stop after an hour-long bus ride to the Dover Community Center. Dover’s center was substantially bigger than Concord’s, which surprised Bridget because Concord was, after all, the capital of New Hampshire, not Dover. It was mostly flat and rectangular, with a very tall, large, spherical orb on the left part of the building. Bridget didn’t know what the globe-like part of the building was used for, but it sure looked cool.

“Well, folks, here we are,” Mrs. Streisand said as the bus parked in it’s designated spot behind another school bus. “Take a little time to stretch, gather your things, and come to the front.” Mrs. Streisand said.

The team rose from their seats, began to stretch, and chat with each other. Soon, a considerably loud murmur took over the bus and every one began to loosen up. Della and Charlotte stood up in a sprightly manner, still clearly impacted by a sugar rush inflicted by Charlotte’s Jolly Ranchers. They were still quite energetic.

“Gee, Bridget!” Della said, reaching her arms up high. “You’ve been really quiet. What’s the deal?” She looked at Bridget sincerely, but still grinning.

Charlotte gave Bridget the same look. “Are you okay?” She asked.

 “Yeah, I’m great!” Bridget said, forcing herself to produce the biggest smile possible.

“O-kaaaayyyy,” Della said, in a disbelieving tone.

“What?” Bridget exclaimed, rocked by their miniature distrust. She tried not to sound angry at all, though, for some reason she was annoyed by Della’s silly constant doubts. 

“Well,” Della said, lifting up her purse from the seat. She went over to Bridget, who had already collected her stuff, and was making her way to the front of the bus, like most of the team had. Charlotte followed Della.

“It seems like you have taken on a little ‘Dane persona’.” Della giggled. “But it doesn’t surprise me.” She giggled even more as Charlotte joined in.

“Yeah, c’mon, Bridget, you like him. It’s painfully obvious.” Charlotte whispered among the semi-loud conversations going on around them.

Bridget looked at them and smiled. It was the most she could do in a situation like that, especially with a competition coming up. She needed to be in a good mood to impress the judges and to win. Plus, she knew Della and Charlotte were just…being Della and Charlotte.

“Hey, Bridget,” Henry said. He was in front with Hugh, Jamal, and Mark.

“Hey!” Bridget said cheerfully.

“You nervous?” Henry asked. He rubbed his hands together and then slid on his winter jacket.

“A little, but I’m trying not to think about nerves. It makes them go away.” Bridget said as she smiled. Della and Charlotte were clumped behind her, with Dane in the very back. Everyone was jumbling toward the bus door.

Henry put his hands in his pockets. “That sounds like a good strategy, I might have to try it myself,” Henry said, grinning.

Bridget smiled back.

“Okay!” Mrs. Streisand announced, ready to go with her red wool coat on, and her briefcase and purse with her. “It is…” She glanced at her glinting silver wristwatch. “Half past eleven, so, you all have quite a bit of time to set up.” Mrs. Streisand said. “We will be presenting in that spherical building, past the parking lot, which, by proper name, goes by ‘the Ignatius P. Harrison Building’, just in case you need to somehow identify it.” She glanced around. “When I register our team, we’ll have our area number, and I’ll direct you to the building. From there, you will have approximately two hours to set up, rehearse, and boondoggle--”Mrs. Streisand paused and smirked as her turquoise earrings swayed. “�"Whatever prepares you.” She took a breath in. “Any questions?”

Ellen raised her hand. “Are we getting lunch in there?” She asked.

“Oh! Yes.” Mrs. Streisand said, as she put her palm to her forehead. “I’m going to order some pizza and beverages from the cafeteria after registration.”

A few nods came from the group of students.

 “Alright!” Mrs. Streisand said, as she smiled merrily. “I guess we’re off!”

The jolly bus driver then opened the doors of the bus and let everyone out.

“Thanks, Harold,” Mrs. Streisand said to the bus driver.

“Any time, Linda.” Harold the Bus Driver said.

As Della, Henry, Charlotte, and Bridget exited the bus, Della began to giggle.

“What?” Bridget asked curiously.

“’Harold’,” Della said. “I love it.”

Charlotte snickered as well.

“Oh, Della…” Henry said. “You find the weirdest things really funny.”

Charlotte nodded in agreement. “I think she’s still a little slap happy from the candy,” Charlotte remarked.

“I think I am,” Della said. “I just hope I don’t crash right in the middle of the competition.” She said lightly.

That would be disastrous,” Henry said, as the four of them got closer to the building with the team. “A tired and non-energized Della with Dane? I think you might as well not present with that kind of duo.” Henry said smirking.

“Shut up, Henry,” Della smiled, lightly punching him in the arm.

Henry snickered.

Charlotte joined in the jesting with a more ‘as-as-a-matter-of-fact’ comment. “Well, good thing we’re eating soon, right? I mean, I’m pretty hungry and I’m sure no one can think on an empty stomach.”

“Yeah,” Della said. “I hope they have good food!” She smiled as she energetically skipped up the steps to the main entrance. They all entered as an elderly man held open the door for them. As Bridget thanked him, she looked at the interior of the spherical building. It had extremely tall ceilings that resulted in a loud echo from the conversation taking place in the room.

“Wow!” Della exclaimed. Her voice echoed also amongst the high-volume noise.

“Yeah,” Charlotte said as she looked up. “Wow.”

Bridget admired the rounded bleach-white ceiling that would continue on to the cafeteria and the presenting rooms. She finally took her eyes down to eye level, and realized that the rest of the team had moved over to a free registry table about twenty feet away. She quickly moved over to where they were, and casually entered herself into a conversation involving the whole team.

 “�"I think I see St. Andrew’s over there, actually. And of course there’s Dover.” Mark pointed out.

The whole team peered over to teams several tables down.

Bridget looked too, and saw the two teams amongst several others.

Jade then spoke up as she stood on her tiptoes to view other teams. “Hey, Henry, did you ever find out if Larlahm was doing it this year or not?” She got back in normal stance.

“Oh, yeah, actually.” Henry said. “Apparently they got a lot of new recruits, so it worked out.” Henry looked at a registry table a few yards down. “See, there they are.” He unnoticeably pointed to them.

Bridget looked at the team for Larlahm. Most of the faces looked young, maybe two or maybe even three years younger than her. She started to look at other teams, but she was interrupted by Mrs. Streisand, who had evidently finished registering.

“Okay, everyone, let’s take a move on to the presenting room,” Mrs. Streisand said as everyone began to follow her. “I have quite a bit to tell you.” She said.

“Oh gosh…” Della said excitedly, but a little nervously, as the team followed Mrs. Streisand into the presenting room.

Mrs. Streisand led them into the presenting room, which, as Bridget saw, was very, very large. It had gleaming dark wood floors, and in the back of the wide room was a formal podium on a temporary, well-built stage with several lined-up chairs and a new black projector on a small side table in the center, ready to project any image onto the pull-down overhead in front of it. On the hardwood floor, there were several areas, more than ten, with two plain tables in each spot, and a black piece of postcard with a white script on them presenting which area it was. There were already three other teams in the room, which made the room seem a little smaller, even though it was still humongous.

“We are area number 9, everyone,” Mrs. Streisand announced.  “Right over there on the left wall, you see it? Right below the window.” Mrs. Streisand said as people started setting down boxes and bags and purses on the two tables. As soon as everyone was settled, they faced Mrs. Streisand in expectancy.

“Alright,” Mrs. Streisand began. She looked at the other teams. She then scooted closer, and talked in a less voluminous tone. “There are a lot, I mean a lot more teams than we expected this year. Henry can tell you…last year, there were only about eight teams here. This year,” Mrs. Streisand blew air out of her mouth. “There are thirteen other teams to beat.” She raised her eyebrows in a still-shocked manner.

“What?!” Henry exclaimed. He didn’t look disconcerted at all, just tremendously shocked.

“Thirteen.” Mrs. Streisand repeated, crossing her arms. “Now, go on over and introduce yourselves to the other teams. It’s good sportsmanship. Meanwhile, I’m going to go order your lunch, alright?” Mrs. Streisand said. She smiled supportively at the team as she left the room.         

Bridget, also extremely surprised by the amount of teams, looked around and saw almost everyone’s mouth agape in astonishment.

Finally a defeated voice spoke up. “How are we ever going to win?”

Della whimpered in agreement. “Yeah, I mean, there must be new schools, which means new competition. Who knows how good they could be!” Della cried.

“Or how bad they could be.” Henry said hopefully. He then switched to a more reassuring attitude. “C’mon guys, don’t just flarp out on this. They’re just new teams. Don’t let that scare you into losing.”

“We’re not going to lose.” Mark said.

“See, that’s what I want to hear.” Henry said strongly. “Just keep up the energy and don’t be intimidated by them. Now let’s go and introduce ourselves.” Henry turned his heal and everyone on the team began talking amongst themselves as they traveled over to another team’s table. Soon, they reached it and Henry started with a friendly greeting.

“Hello,” Henry said to the other team as some of them, who were turned around, faced the team.    “We’re the Concord High School team, and I’m Henry Vongaurt, the president, and, this is Charlotte O’Brien, the vice president.” He smiled at the other team, who looked ready to give introductions also.

From the right side of the group came a tall girl with curly golden hair. She had sparkly hazel eyes, and she had a thin bone structure. She extended a slender hand to Henry, and introduced herself. “I’m Danielle Brewer, the president of the Harding school’s team, and, uh,” she looked around at the team and had her vice president come forward.  “This is Leslie Kastonik, the vice president.” Marie shook Henry’s hand also.

“We’re an all-girl team,” said a dark haired girl, rather curtly, from beside Danielle.

“Ah,” Henry said, unsure of how to respond to that slightly brusque exclamation. “Eh, that’s very interesting, uh,” he looked over at the team over in area number 7. “Very nice to meet you, and, um, good luck!” Henry finished kindly, as they went over to the next team.

As they were walking over to area number 7, Bridget heard one of the girls from Harding say, “Why would he wish us good luck? That’s stupid.” And Bridget just laughed, knowing that they probably thought the whole introducing thing was stupid, too, but she didn’t care. It made her feel better that she was showing good sportsmanship.

The Concord team approached area number 7, which ended up being Northfield Schools from a small town by Portsmouth. Their team seemed almost identical to the Concord team; just about the same age and gender ratio. Even their president was a guy and the vice was a girl. Bridget felt good about them; they seemed just as hard working as her team.

They introduced themselves to four more schools (which included Larlahm, Perry, Bordner, and Lincoln) before Mrs. Streisand came in to take the team into the cafeteria for lunch. Bridget was a little relieved, for introducing themselves was getting a little more intimidating by the minute. It was already one o’clock, only an hour and a half until they started the competition. Bridget got a random rush of nerves as she exited the presentation room and into the cafeteria. Della and Charlotte both caught up with her, eager to share their clear exhilaration.

“Only an hour and a half longer, guys!” Charlotte said eagerly. Her dark strawberry blonde hair bobbed back and forth as she bounced on the balls of her feet.

“Yeah,” Bridget said. “I’m getting a little nervous though. Aren’t you guys?” She looked at them as they sat down at a table.

“Maybe later I will be, but not now!” Della said. Her beaming white teeth shone as she smiled and took a seat between Charlotte and Bridget.

“Just keep up the energy, Dell, and your portion of the intro will be saved.” Charlotte said. “I just hope I don’t screw up.”

“Oh, you won’t,” Henry said. Mrs. Streisand then set down three steaming boxes of pizza, a case of Coca cola, and water on the long table, where the whole team sat.

Bridget couldn’t think anymore about being nervous, or even about anything that made her feel discontented. She decided, for that moment, she would just relax, eat some food, and prepare for the competition. Nothing else.

For the next forty-five minutes, the team discussed strategies of catching the judges’ attention, speaking techniques, and other things that might help them win. At 12:45, they got up from the lunch table and headed back into the presentation room, where they would set up all of their things for the competition. With the two tables, they hung a banner that said “Greece” in Greek, with a few images of Greek geography and buildings on it. On the tables, they placed the two large backboards, the models, and the essays, all over two beige linen tablecloths, with a rich turquoise border around it. Several Greek artifacts were neatly scattered about the two tables, with cardstock place cards identifying them. Purple and white flowers in Greek-esque vases were placed at the end of the table for color. When they all backed up to take a look at it, they were all satisfied.

“Wow, that looks really great,” Hugh said, his arms crossed.

Henry nodded consequently. “Great job, everyone!” He said. He gave a couple team members high-fives, and then checked his phone for the time. “Well, everyone, we have about fifteen minutes ‘till competition--” The group anxiously sighed almost in unison “�"so, do you guys want to go through our parts real fast?”

  The group agreed accordingly and within moments Henry started up his intro. They got to the middle of Bridget’s part when it was exactly 1:30, and an announcer came up to the podium, and began to speak.

“Hello! I am Dr. Olivia Campbell, director of competition for International, Cultural and Geographical Studies, and welcome to the 14rd annual ICGS competition!” The petite woman, Dr. Olivia Campbell, clapped toward the people in the room as they applauded loudly.

As the applause died down, she began to speak again. “And these will be our judges, Mr. Lee Cheng Xi�"” a middle-aged man with graying hair, but quite a polished look to him, stood up and waved. Dr. Olivia Campbell continued.

“�"Ms. Camilla Reid,” a woman younger than Mrs. Streisand with dark brown hair and an olive complexion stood up, wearing a tweed woman’s suit, and smiled. “Mr. Peter Foster,” another middle-aged man stood up and waved. “And, Mrs. Janelle Quinn.” The last judge stood up and smiled at the crowd as they applauded. She then sat back down.

Dr. Campbell continued with a bright, gleaming smile, as she began a short speech. “One of the requirements for ICGS is to have a 3.7 grade point average or above. With that, I know that every student in this room is one of great intellect, dedication, and enthusiasm. In addition to being excellent in academics, you have chosen to be in an academic club, studying geography, culture, and much more. All of this studying, researching, and educating that each of you have taken part in helps broaden your mind things that reach far beyond the coasts of America. So, I congratulate all fourteen teams with the highest of regards for just sticking with this, for it is a heavy commitment, but definitely worthwhile. Today is a day that all of your efforts and hard work will be recognized, sized up, and scored. Therefore, I wish the very best to all fourteen teams here today. Good luck.” Dr. Campbell stepped down from the podium as thunderous applause came from everyone in the room.

Moments after, Mr. Peter Foster stepped up to the podium and began stating the rules and regulations of the competition, and how each team’s work would be judged. His voice was rather stiff, so the whole chunk of what he was saying has difficult to listen to. Bridget saw that Janelle Quinn sensed the stiffness too, so after Mr. Foster stepped off the podium; she stepped up quickly, wished the teams good luck in a different way than Dr. Campbell, and said, “We will start with area one, then go to area two, and so on. We will take a short ten-minute break after area seven presents. Again, please try to keep quiet while other teams are presenting.” She said kindly. “Judging may take a while, so try not to get too antsy.” She sealed her last sentence with a friendly smile. She then walked back onto the main stage, with the rest of the judges, and the four of them exited the stage with leather-bound folders with a notepad inside it, with a gleaming, professional black pen. The judges walked over to area one, which was the Jamison High School team.

“You may begin,” Ms. Camilla Reid said placidly, but professionally, as the Jamison team started up. A boy with straw-blonde hair stepped forward and began to start his introduction. His team was small, but their presentation table looked good. There was a deep plum cloth over their table, like Concord’s, but their set up was very contrastable.

Multiple minutes went by, while Jamison presented. Bridget looked at the large, Roman numeral clock above where the podium was, and saw that it was already almost 2:00. She figured that the team was almost finished, and that they had already taken up fifteen minutes presenting. She calculated that if every team took on average about fifteen minutes to present, that the whole room wouldn’t be done presenting until at least six thirty. And that was not including the ten-minute break, and the judges’ time taken to determine the winner. Bridget sighed inwardly, knowing that it would be hours until Concord presented.

A burst of applause for Jamison High School shook Bridget and some teammates around her out of their current dazed out manner. Bridget knew she needed to look awake and energized, for she knew that somehow that had an effect on the judge’s view of her team.

Next, area two presented, then area three, four, five, and six. Soon seven began. The whole room knew that the break was coming soon, so many started getting antsy, so Bridget felt bad for area seven, which was one of the teams they had introduced themselves to. Bridget thought of how nice they were, and how much they were like Concord, therefore she felt a pang of guilt watching everyone in the room become impatient. Still, she felt fortunate that Concord wasn’t right after the break, but almost. That way, by the time area eight was finished, the judges would be settled in and not to fidgety from the break.

Before she knew it, a quick, abrupt round of clapping made its way around the room, and everyone was dismissed for the ten-minute break. Within seconds, Charlotte and Della grabbed Bridget to go to the restroom to talk and do some last minute primping. 

As they entered upon the large beige restroom with a few others in it, Charlotte began to speak while adjusting her clip in her hair.

“I just felt so bad for Portsmouth.” She said with a slight frown on her face. “Even the judges were getting bored. I hope their team doesn’t subconsciously get points deducted by the judges just because of this ‘ten-minute break’ variable that everyone was so excited about.” Charlotte fastened the clip back in place.

“Yeah. I know what you’re saying, Char, but” Della said, smoothing her ‘bob’ hairstyle. “If you really think about it, their presentation wasn’t that interesting to begin with.” Della’s face moved apprehensively at her sentence.

“Della!” Charlotte said.

Bridget looked over at the sudden exclamation.

“What?” Della said, holding her hands out.

Charlotte nodded her head in hesitant agreement. “I guess, but I still feel bad for them.”

“Yeah, me too,” Della admitted. “Don’t you, Bridget?”

Bridget was in the midst of brushing her slightly frizzed hair. “Oh, yeah, definitely.” She responded, knowing herself that her answer sounded half-hearted. She was just a little preoccupied; after all, she was being attacked by militias of nerves that were slowly killing off her self-esteem and confidence for the presentation. Even though she knew she had been more nervous for something before, there seemed to be no panacea for the flip-flop nausea washing around in her at that moment.

After a few more minutes, the girls left the restroom and entered the presentation room. Bridget knew the next time she left that particular room; she would know the outcome of the competition. The though sent an ocean of tingles down her arms and over her mind. It was almost too much to bear.

In a matter of no time, the ten-minute break was over with and everyone had made it back to their seats and presentation tables. In a matter of moments, area eight started to present. And with each second that went by, the closer to Concord’s presentation would get.

“�"After all of the work that June Shore High School has put into the presentation today, and months before this, I assure you as the president of June Shore ICGS we deserve to win the prize, for ICGS is an exceptionally pivotal club to all of our teammates, and we have all put in over 110% on this large but enjoyable project. Our teamwork and collaboration is like no other.” The boy speaking took a nervous breath in. “Thank you.” He smiled, relieved that his school’s presentation was finally complete. In that same moment, the room was filled with applause.

As the applause died down, and the judges wrote down some final notes, they moved calmly over to area nine, where Concord stood to present.

Bridget stood nervously by Charlotte as the judges briefly introduced Concord, as they had done with all the other schools. Bridget looked sideways at her other team members as they aligned and stood by their displays or billboards. She felt her hands and feet get clammy, her mouth get dry, and her stomach flare up with anxiety as Henry officially began the presentation by starting his introduction. Bridget watched him with a pleasant expression on her face, as was the rest of the team, trying not to worry themselves with unease.

Henry’s introduction was smooth, without a flaw, and exactly as he had recited it on the bus. Bridget was impressed; and clearly so were the judges. The looks on their faces as she glanced over to look at them were more than satisfied. They were awed.

Momentarily, Charlotte began her introduction, which was a bit rockier than Henry’s, on account of her confidence level changing from high to low every few sentences. Bridget could tell from Charlotte’s red face that she knew she wasn’t doing as well as she had on the bus ride. Consequently, Bridget smiled encouragingly at Charlotte, hoping to send some positive vibes her way.

Charlotte finished her introduction well with a few improvised sentences that ended up adding a lot to her intro as a whole. In that millisecond, Bridget metaphorically gulped down all of her nerves, worries, and emotions, and started her introduction, even though she felt as though she wasn’t prepared at all.

“In ancient Greece, the overwhelming majority of citizens were polytheistic, and believe in a large set of gods and goddesses. Since different families and parts of Greece worshiped different gods, it is impossible to know how many gods there were in total. But historians have cited hundreds, for sure.

“The most popular gods, however, were the gods and goddesses by the names of Zeus, the head god, Hera, the head goddess, also married to Zeus, Apollo, the sky god, Artemis, goddess of hunting, Poseidon, god of the sea, Aphrodite, goddess of love, Athena, the goddess of wisdom, Demeter, the goddess of the harvest, Hermes, the messenger god, Ares, the god of war, and Hades, the god of the underworld. These were the gods and goddesses most sacrificed to, and worshiped, because they were deemed most important by Greek legend and myths.” Bridget took in a breath, finishing her two introductory paragraphs to her full introduction. She then continued the rest, feeling more confident as time went by.

“�"Clearly the influence of the Olympian gods over lives today and in ancient civilization is and was enormous, just in different ways. Wisdom and approval sought by these gods and this polytheistic religion has not only impacted the Greek nation of the past and present, but has also changed the world in more ways one could imagine.” She completed her introduction with a beaming smile to the judges, and a small breath of relief as the responsibility of carrying on the competition was passed to Della and Dane. She glanced over at Henry excitedly, only in enough time to see an approving, congratulating grin on his face going her way. That made her feel better about her intro. 

Time passed by extremely fast after Bridget finished. She was expecting that to happen though, because now her part was all over, and the only nerves left in her body were ones of anticipation and excitement for the announcement of the winner.

After about ten minutes, the spotlight was once again on Henry, who explained the reasons for why Concord High School should win the competition. Bridget was so exhilarated about the whole thing that she could only keep a smile on her face as she was jumping up and down inside. Every one had done so well, so well, and she felt good about the effect Concord had on the judges. She was sure it was a memorable and positive one. Before she knew it, Henry completed his conclusion and the room brimmed over with clapping. Bridget was sure she heard someone whistle, and was almost positive that the applause lasted longer than the other teams. But she was so elated that she could’ve imagined anything at that point.  

Della inched slowly to Bridget in her chair as area ten started presenting. When she got close enough, Bridget looked over at her and saw something written on the palm of her hand.

Dover’s presenting right now. They’re probably the best team here (besides us, of course J), but still, they’re something to worry about L. 

Bridget read the message quickly on Della’s hand. She made her eyes open wide as if to rhetorically ask, “Really?”

Della nodded slowly. Bridget then bit her lip, feeling a little less excited than before. She then decided to start paying attention to Dover, so she knew how much she should be intimidated.

By the time Dover had finished, Bridget pretty much felt defeated already. Dover had gone over the top in descriptions, models, and presentation method in all. They had about twenty team members, but somehow they didn’t take up too much time. Bridget became slightly downhearted as she thought about Dover even more. In her mind, chances of Concord winning became slimmer and slimmer as time went on. And by the end of the last presentation, she was almost completely dejected, and malaise surrounded her thoughts as the group stood up the chat while the judges concluded the winner, who was most certainly going to be Dover.

“Guys!” Henry said as they huddled together in the presentation room that was slowly getting louder and louder. “We did such a great job!” His face was covered in an ear-to-ear smile. “I honestly think we’re in the running for the winner. I mean, did you see the judge’s faces when Della and Dane presented the Trojan horse? I think we’re set, and definitely--”
  Henry was cut off by Mrs. Streisand who had come from the other side of the room. “Group hug! Group hug!” She pulled everyone in as much as she could. She sighed happily as the gigantic hug broke apart. “I believe you all did exceedingly well, and that our strong points were the horse, the two timelines, and the Greek god and goddess introduction. Not to say that anyone was below par, at all, but I saw that the judges were exceptionally impressed at those points.” She sighed happily. “Wonderful job, my Concord students. Bravo!” She said, giving them a short round of applause.

Like always, the group stayed together, but broke up into littler groups in which Bridget was included in the Charlotte, Della, and Henry one.

Della and Charlotte were smiling just as brightly as Henry.

“Do you think we might actually win this year?” Della said.

Henry nodded. “I feel better about this year than last year.” Henry said confidently. “Something inside me tells me that we might actually have a chance.” Henry took a deep breath in.

“That’s awesome,” Charlotte said. “Did I do an okay job?” She asked meekly.

“Definitely.” Henry said. “I liked the improv you sort of threw in there at the end.” Henry said. “It sounded great.”

“It did, Char,” Della said reassuringly. She then switched the subject. “Hey, Henry, do you know what time the judges will announce the winner?” 

“Yup,” he said. “In about…” he looked at his watch. “Eight minutes.” He smiled excitedly.

“Really? That’s it?” Della looked over to the large clock. “So at seven o’clock?” She asked.

“Yup,” Henry replied. He then turned to Bridget. “And you did fantastic. Better than the practice on the bus.” He said sincerely.

Bridget smiled. “I was so nervous I can’t even remember what I sounded like!” She said, laughing, getting some nerves out.

“You were perfect.” Henry said. “Everyone was great.”

Bridget half-listened as she observed the rest of the teams chattering amongst themselves, probably talking about the same things they were. Probably just as nervous as they were. This made Bridget think how important winning must be to everyone in that room.

The eight minutes passed quickly, like most things had after Bridget had presented, and soon all four judges were up on the stage again, along with Dr. Campbell, who was on the podium, ready to speak.

The room settled as she began to start. “Presenting Janelle Quinn,” Dr. Campbell said, as she stepped off the podium and Janelle Quinn got on. She straightened up her posture, extended the microphone to her slender face, and began to speak.

“The team that has been awarded this prestigious, sought-after, much deserved prize of a journey to Greece showed all of us judges beyond what we expected. With visible team spirit and sportsmanship that shone from them even before they presented, I knew this team would surely be a candidate. And when the presentation began from this team, I knew which school my vote was for, and why. This team consistently showed knowledge far beyond memorization, quality beyond anything I could ever structure, and a vibe of simplicity and authenticity that told something in me that this team undoubtedly deserved this prize and title. When the other judges and I collaborated over which school was the winner, it did not take long because the vote was unanimous. And before I announce the winner, I want to say that this school deserves this honor through-and-through.” Yolanda paused to take in a calm breath. “Concord High School, of Concord, New Hampshire, please come forward!” A smile illuminated her face as the room exploded with applause, whistles, and whoops of joy. Ms. Quinn wasn’t even able to finish her sentence when all the members from Concord looked at each other in shock. Almost every member’s mouth was agape in complete and utter surprise.

Bridget, Della, and Charlotte squeezed each other as tightly as they could as the others did the same. Bridget’s breath was taken away, for she was sure that Dover had done better than Concord. Nonetheless, she lived in the moment and watched everyone on the team smile more than she had ever seen. Happiness flooded over everyone there.

The room was still full with applause when the team finally got up to the stage. Ms. Quinn handed Henry the trophy as he held it up for the team. The whole room cheered, but the happiest vibes were the ones unspoken from the team as they all smiled in disbelief at what had just happened. Charlotte’s eyes were shiny from tears of joy, Henry was still laughing with Della, Hugh and Jamal were giving each other a ‘bro-hug’, Mark gently kissed Jade on the cheek, Ellen and Kara were bubbly bouncing on their feet, and even Dane had a satisfied smile. Bridget watched all of this, and in her mind, she knew this would remain one of the happiest, fulfilling moments of her life.

 

              ~

“Woooooo!” Henry said as the team boarded the bus, still overflowing with excitement. Mrs. Streisand had the trophy at that moment, to make sure it wasn’t forgotten on the bus or damaged. As everyone chatted excitedly on the bus and took their seats, Mrs. Streisand cleared her throat loudly and everyone quieted down.

“First of all,” she said, beaming at the team, “CONGRATUALTIONS!” She shouted, the team cheering loudly in response. “I couldn’t be more proud as an advisor right now, especially since you are my first team to win the ICGS competition.” She took a pause as the bus started up. “Second, I figured we’d eat like Europeans tonight at the Mediterranean House for a celebratory dinner!” Mrs. Streisand said. The team cheered more, and even louder.

“I made reservations in advance,” Mrs. Streisand said. “Whether we won or not, I still wanted to take my team to dinner.” She said sentimentally. “And it’s on me, so don’t worry about money.” She smiled as she sat down in her seat. “Take us away, Harold!” She said, as the bus chugged to the Mediterranean House, which was on the other side of Dover.

“You guys,” Della said, as she leaned back in her seat in amazement. The seating order was the same as it had been; just everyone was a lot more sociable. “Can you believe we actually won?” Her deep brown eyes were bright and round with excitement.

Henry shook his head. “This is…unbelievable!” He said.

Charlotte spoke up from behind Henry. “Did anyone feel like Dover was going to win, though? I mean, I know we did really well, but I had doubts.” Charlotte said.

Bridget immediately spoke up. “Oh, me, definitely. That’s pretty much what I was thinking about the whole time after they presented.” She said, as she watched the moon slip between trees against the deep blue night sky.

“Yeah?” Henry said. “Is that why you looked so sullen while the judges were away?” He asked kindly, but still a smile spread across his face.

“Yeah,” Bridget admitted. “I’ve never really been to one of these before, so I was totally floored by Dover’s presentation.” Bridget said. “So I guess I looked a little lost in thought.” She said.

Henry nodded, still smiling, as he turned forward to talk to Hugh, who was asking some kind of question.

“I thought it was for a different reason…” Della whispered faux-mysteriously to Bridget, as Della flicked her eyes over to Dane, implying that she was thinking about him.

Bridget shook her head. “No,” She said laughing, still in high spirits from winning. “Stop playing around, you know I don’t like…” Bridget realized that she wasn’t whispering, so she decided to stop. “You know I don’t like…” She aimed her head toward Dane quickly as she whispered.

“I still don’t believe you, and I don’t think I ever will.” Della said.

Bridget shook her head as she smiled at Della, knowing that she was fooling around. But the thing was, Bridget knew an issue still stood on her conscience about Dane. Nonetheless, she told herself not to wonder or think about him any longer that night. So she didn’t.

The bus arrived at the Mediterranean House at a little past eight o’clock. Since it was nighttime, the stucco building glowed with purple, turquoise, blue, and green light that reminded Bridget of the ocean. It looked like a pretty high-end place, with a large, modern structure and well-lit, non-clashing lights. It looked like a good place to celebrate.

The team exited the bus with Mrs. Streisand and Harold the Bus Driver, who parked the bus down the road somewhere in an empty lot. As greeters opened the doors, mod music reverberated around the front lobby, which was bustling with waiters and waitresses, and tons of people. The whole restaurant was dim in a chic way, but with blue and turquoise lamps hanging from the ceiling. All in all, it was extremely appealing to the eye, and very sophisticated.

As the team, Mrs. Streisand, and Harold made their way to the front desk, Mrs. Streisand almost shouted above the music, “Reservations for Concord High School!” She said.

The waitress nodded, taking several menus. “Right this way, please.” The waitress led them to a very long, two-sided booth with polished wooden seats, and that was elevated a few feet off the floor by a platform.

Bridget was near the front along with Della, Henry, and Charlotte, so she slid in first on the left side. She, Della, Henry, Charlotte, Kara, Ellen, and Harold filled up the left seat, and then Dane, Mark, Jade, Hugh, Jamal, and Mrs. Streisand filled up the right booth.

Bridget was making herself comfortable as she snuggled into the seat, a little drowsy from the day. She was just about to say something to Della, who was looking at her menu, when she realized who was sitting directly across from her.

Dane.

She sighed inwardly. Honestly? She thought. She knew she couldn’t keep her mind off of him with a situation like that. And she also knew if she asked Della to switch with her, especially Della, then she would immediately assume it was something about Dane. Which it was. This is exactly why Bridget didn’t ask.

“Mmmm,” Della said, interrupting Bridget’s flustered thoughts. She pointed her small, slender finger to something on the menu. “Hummus and pitas with a vegetarian gyro, doesn’t that sound good?” She asked, her eyes brighter than usual from the intense light coming from the blue lamp above them.

“Yeah,” Bridget said. “I think I may get the Greek Feta salad and some calamari,” she replied.

“That sounds really good,” Della said. Her attention then was focused elsewhere for a moment as Bridget broke her promise, and looked over at Dane.

He was casually scanning through the menu, like a normal Joe, but still, something about him…She thought, as her mind began to wander. Bridget then immediately cut off her train of thoughts. She couldn’t go on thinking like that. It just didn’t seem healthy.

Soon, a waiter came, to collect their orders and drinks. He started at the beginning of the left booth, and ended with Bridget.

“And, what would you like?” He peered his head all the way over to Bridget. “Um,” she said quietly. She then realized that he probably couldn’t here her at that volume. So she spoke up.

“I’ll have a ginger ale for drink…um, and a Greek Feta salad with balsamic vinaigrette, and the half-order of calamari.” She said, sliding her menu down the table like Charlotte, Henry, and Della had done.

The waiter nodded as he wrote it down. He then looked up, pen still to paper, his eyes going directly across the table to Dane. “And you?” He said loudly over the music.

“Whole order of calamari and the lemon-cucumber spread.” Dane said audibly, for once. He slid his menu down just like Bridget had. He smiled forwardly at her as it reached the end of the table. She pretended like she hadn’t seen him, but in her mind, she totally did, and it made her insides flutter like pages in an open book.

Soon, the waiter collected the rest of the orders, took them to the kitchen, and quickly came back with drinks. He passed them out efficiently, wasting no time. After all, the restaurant was remarkably busy.

Mrs. Streisand talked with Harold at the end of the table, and the team members were off in their usual groups. Della and Charlotte were talking with Henry, who was telling them something about Greece.

“�"and even a festival, I think. I mean, this particular year we’re going, during Spring break, there’s going to be some kind of cultural festival going on, I heard. Plus, we get to go sight-seeing, which is an adventure in itself.” Henry said, taking a sip pf his drink.

“Wow,” Charlotte said, amazed. “I can’t believe that all of this is happening to us. I mean…I didn’t even think…” She trailed off.

Bridget continued to listen, sort of, as Henry listed off the endless possibilities of their won visit to Greece. She sipped ginger ale through her straw, watching the carbonated bubbles dance around in the liquid. For the first time all day, she felt actually relaxed, with no obligations. She could just sit, and watch the innocent bubbles within the glossy glass cup move all night, without any worry. She inhaled deeply with a even-tempered expression. As she exhaled, she felt a light substance fall on her foot. She hesitated for a second before practically climbing under the table to get it, but when she was about to bend under to do so, Dane excused himself to get up, so she had to wait. Her mini moment of nirvana was quickly ceasing to be another agitating moment to keep her mind off Dane. Accordingly, she extended her arm under the table, trying not to touch anyone’s feet. Finally, she felt the substance and realized it was a heavy piece of paper, almost like cardstock. She pulled it out from under the table, sighed, and looked at it.

There, on that single piece of white paper, was a sketch of a person drawn with a pastel-like utensil. In the moment it took Bridget to look at it, she realized it was her drawn in the picture, leaning up against a bus seat. In the drawing, her face was placid, but not expressionless. She never thought it possible, but that drawing, of herself, took her breath away. She scanned the page as she put on her lap under the table, so no one would see it. She especially kept it out of Della’s sight. Finally, when Bridget got sucked back into reality, she flipped the page over, so no one could see the drawing on the other side. But on the back was something even more unexpected.

A message, written in small, male letters, said,

Meet me by the post lamp outside.

            Dane

 

Bridget, for what seemed like the millionth time that night, lost her breath and all touch with the world around her for a moment. She held the paper delicately in her hands. She reread the note, making sure she wasn’t imagining things. But she knew what she read. She knew that even if she did nothing, that would still be making a decision to stay and not go. All she knew that her heart wanted one thing, and her mind wanted another.

Bridget discreetly excused herself from the table, which made everyone in her booth get out, which only drew more attention to what she was doing. She carefully slid the paper under the booth seat, so no one would see it. And with that, she walked toward the front of the restaurant, where she would exit the doors, and face what she wasn’t sure of.

Bridget reached the doors, where the greeters were standing.

“Leaving, miss?” One of them said.

Bridget’s eyes opened wide, not expecting that. “Um…” She thought for a moment about what she was going to say. “I forgot something in my car.” She said.

“Oh,” the greeter said, smiling. “Go on ahead.” She opened the door to Bridget as she exited.

Bridget went outside, where the snow was barely falling, and it truly wasn’t very cold. She was comfortable, even in only her sweater, and no coat.

Bridget looked to both sides of the exterior of the restaurant. One had benches and a few square bushes, and further on into the parking lot there was a streetlamp, with a tall figure by it. As she cautiously walked toward the lamp, her stomach flip-flopped like a pancake being tossed into the air. After a few moments, she got to the lamp, and saw Dane clear as day. Just knowing that this all wasn’t a dream really astounded Bridget to the ends of her comprehension. But, as real as the air she was breathing, there was Dane. Dane who had invited her outside. On the back of a…drawing. Dane who had been as mysterious to her as the depths of the ocean since day one there at Concord. Dane.

“Dane?” Bridget said. She wasn’t sure what to say, in fact, she was at a complete and utter loss. So she just said and did what she felt was right. She stepped closer, under a dimly-lit lamp. Right next to him. Face to face.

 Bridget listened to the wind warble through every medium there outside, and the muffled music coming from inside the restaurant. She saw his breath come in and out like steam. Bridget smiled, trying to collect her thoughts.

He was looking up at the sky observantly, snow lightly falling on him.

Bridget looked at him. She was almost frustrated as the silence continued. So she spoke her mind. “Why did you ask me to come out here?”

Like 99.99% of the time, he said nothing. But instead of the usual stoic face he gave her, the expression he held was one more of anticipation and amusement.  His hands were in his pockets, his soft-looking black hair blowing about in the wind. His sharp green eyes had an unusual flicker to them that somehow made Bridget want to smile. But she didn’t. Not now.

“Dane,” She stated. Trying to get his attention. “Wh--” But suddenly she was interrupted.

“You always want to know who I am, what I’m about, why I am the way I am,” He said in his hoarse, but deep voice. His tone was direct, but not unkind. “Questions? Go. I’ll answer.”

Bridget’s eyes opened wider than she ever thought possible. So many things flooded her brain…like why he was so quiet, but not dull, Stoic, yet so brilliant. Solemn, grave, and dismal, but yet so interesting. But something else came out first.

“Why are you letting me do this?” Bridget said, trying not to sound dramatic. But it was a genuine question.

Dane’s astounding green eyes glimmered once again. “Because,” He said, “I want to know about you.” His eyes sparked with a slim hint of curiosity.

Bridget felt the biggest blast of emotion she had ever experienced blow through her. She had to hide to smile that formed in her lips in order not to look so excited. She expected to start brimming over with questions. But she didn’t. Out of all the time she wondered endlessly what he was all about, she couldn’t think of a single thing.

“…Or not.” He said jokingly as his face formed a humorous half-smirk.

Bridget then realized how long she had been standing there…without saying anything. She was stunned. She would finally get to know him.

She emitted a small laugh involuntarily. “I…” Bridget paused. I don’t know what to say. She thought to herself.

Bridget gave him a look and for some reason she felt like he knew exactly what she was thinking.

“It’s okay,” Dane said. “I think I do.”

His lips were on hers before she knew it. She tried to think, logically, about what was happening, but not an idea came forward. So she did what her heart told her, for once.

 

She gave into his kiss, enjoying every moment of it.

 

He slid his hand down her face, as he pulled her closer. She felt the warmth of his body so close to hers as they continued to kiss. She felt dreamily content as his arms wrapped around her.

After some considerable amount of time, Bridget pulled away.

“Dane…” She said, breathlessly. Suddenly she saw someone walking toward their car that they were both standing by. The passerby smiled politely at both of them as he started his car. A large, vacant space made an obvious spotlight on the both of them.

Bridget felt conflicted. She wanted to stay out there with Dane, she wanted to. But she knew she had to return inside. But his complex stare made it even harder to think.

So she didn’t think. She let her subconscious do all the work. Before she knew it, her feet began to carry her away. Away from Dane. Her mind felt blurry and unorganized as an overload of thoughts came crashing in like a stampede of rhinos.

Bridget couldn’t believe what had just happened. He…kissed…her. And she kissed him. And…yet, here she was. Without explanation to either side of the story.

She briskly walked back inside the restaurant. She figured she should return to the table, but she was too flustered to go back. At that point, she didn’t care if she returned back when Dane did. Or anything of the sort. She just needed to clear her head.

Bridget took multiple turns into the restaurant to get to the restroom. She opened the door, swiftly moving inside. The room was bright, clean, and white…and also empty. Bridget sighed in relief. She looked in the mirror. Her cheeks were flushed beyond reason. She closed her eyes.

His face. So angular, intellectual, handsome…kissing her. What was she supposed to do?

She had never experienced this combination of emotion before; satisfaction, yet puzzlement, confusion, yet happiness. It was the strangest thing. Bridget opened her eyes to the sound of the door opening. She glanced over.

“Bridget?” Kara, her own class mate said, half-greeting, half-surprised.

“Kara.” Bridget said, attempting to smile, her voice raspy. She took her hands off the bathroom sink and attempted to put herself in a semi-normal state.

Kara apprehensively walked in, looking as if she felt she interrupted something. “So, you okay?” She said.

Bridget laughed at the simplicity of the question. She then walked toward the door. 

“Yeah,” Bridget said. “I’m fine,” she said as she exited.

Bridget laughed inwardly once more as she left. Out of all the things she was feeling, ‘fine’ was definitely not one of them. 



© 2011 Violette


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Yay they won and they kisssed?????? :O

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

IOMG
THEY WOND AND THEY KISSSSSSSEDDD

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

414 Views
3 Reviews
Added on August 16, 2011
Last Updated on August 18, 2011


Author

Violette
Violette

Akron, OH



About
Përshëndetje! (there, now you know how to say hello in Albanian) Okay, so, I am basically a 16 year old girl...I love writing (clearly) and sometimes I blow at it but mostly I think I am.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Violette


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Violette


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Violette