Recruits

Recruits

A Chapter by Vouren

     A hard knock at the door startled her from her sleep. The abrupt movement forced her jaw to crack, sending waves of pain up her face. Taking a moment to overcome the nausea of moving so fast, she steadied herself on a nearby chair. Touching something soft she looked over and saw a uniform that had been laid out for her.
     Different than the one Treasa had seen Prod and the others wearing, this was a very plain design and altogether looked cheaply made. Picking up a pair of thick white pants, she realized they had a strong coarse rope tied to them. Quickly putting them on she grabbed the thin white shirt also on the chair and ran towards the door.
     Just before she reached the door it opened and Siped walked into her room. Coming to a quick stop before running into the taller man, he watched her and smirked. Numerous scars lined what she could see of his body. He had seen years of battles, and was a far more experienced soldier than she could ever hope to be.
     "So it seems you're the one who is holding up my training schedule for the day. I hope your wounds have had enough time to heal." A strong hand grabbed hold of her face and pulled her towards him. The pressure of his hand sent blinding pain up the side of her face. "I will not wait for you again girl. Next time you will regret making me wait for you." Releasing her face he turned back to the door and walked out.
     Following closely behind she fell into a line with countless other men and women all dressed the same as she was. Siped began leading them down the hallway, around corners and through doorways. It felt close to an hour before they finally exited the stone hallways, and entered a large courtyard.
     Waiting for them in the grass covered field were men and women. Following their directions they all lined up in front of one of the waiting trainees. Moving to the center of the newly formed circle, Siped began handing out steel short swords. Spinning the sword in her palm she was surprised to feel how heavy the little weapon was.
     Picking up another set of weapons, the trainer handed the outer ring of trainees wooden swords. The size and shape of these weapons varied, unlike the ones given to the center circle. Some of the men who had been marched down with Treasa looked content to have a steal blade in their hands, and not a fake one.
     "Today is day one of your new life. The trainees you see around you are about to begin the second phase of their training. The purpose of today's drill is to teach you how to fight with a bladed weapon."
     "Why do we need lessons for that? I've been fighting with a sword since I was old enough to..." Before being able to finish speaking a knife had been placed between the man's eyes. His body dropped to the grass, and his blood ran from his face.
     "You all belong to the Fare Tilwin Reath now, and what we say is law. Does anybody have any problem with that?" After a few awkward moments of silence Siped make a gesture with his hands and the man who had been facing the dead man dragged him away. "As I said before, you will be taught how we fight, how we engage our enemies in combat. You might have some skill with a sword, but will that save you from a fire elementalist? Can your steel turn away a razor sharp shard of ice, or a bolt of lightning?
     "We are not just soldiers, we are the front lines against the skills of the elementalists. It was our arrival on the battle field hundred of years ago that brought an end to the great war."
     Waving to the doorway they had all entered other men began walking into the room. Instantly Treasa recognized a few of them, but many of the others she had never seen before. Leaving the trail of men behind them, Prod and fantus approached Siped and shook hands in respect.
     "During your stay here you all will learn to use every weapon imaginable, and how to effectively use them against our foes. On your final day of training you will do the same as these men here and face off against the newest recruits to the program. If you survive the training you will be moved onto the next stage of training. From there you will be assessed and picked by one of us to join their Sect. After you will be awarded the respect deserving of your new position." Prod addressed the class confidently and with authority. Without wasting time he picked up one the steel sword that had fallen to the ground when their first classmate died.
     Fantus took a sword from one of the others and stood facing Prod. Both men dropped into a fighting stance and waited for a few moments. Siped began circling them, giving his first instructions into the strange form of fighting.
     "As you can see, these are two of the basic stances we use during training. Sect Master Prod has taken a high stance, while Sect master Fantus has taken a middle defense." With blinding speed Prod lunged at Fantus, ready to impale him with his sword. With equal speed and grace Fantus deflected the blade past his shoulder, doing no damage to his body. Continuing the exchange, the two Reapers traded blows for minutes until Siped yelled for them to stop.
     Neither of the men looked tired, or even winded. Exchanging playful banter about how sloppy the other was looking. "Trainees, your task is to fight with the recruits. You have learned all of these strikes and defenses and must now refine them if you are to become candidates." In unison the outer circle of soldiers chanted. "Recruits your job is to kill the trainees. You have been given steel blades and some of you may even be skilled enough to accomplish your task. If you manage to kill your opponent than you will receive special treatment and privileges that your fellow recruits will not be given."
     Treasa was shocked at how casually he ordered these men to kill each other. Years of training could be lost within moments if you happened to face someone skilled enough to best you in a fight. Serious doubts ran through her head as Siped and the others began to leave the room.
     "You have one hour. When I return you will receive your fates." Siped laughed sadistically and left the room. Turning back to the man she was supposed to kill, Treasa wondered what type of special treatment she would receive, and how bad her life was going to be if she couldn't kill this stranger.


© 2012 Vouren


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

162 Views
Added on December 14, 2012
Last Updated on December 14, 2012


Author

Vouren
Vouren

NH



About
First and foremost I love to write, that is why I'm here. Everything I work on falls into a single universe created called The Last Stand. Along with my writing i also dab into drawing (and I mea.. more..

Writing
Revival Revival

A Chapter by Vouren


Escape Escape

A Chapter by Vouren