Hello and goodbye

Hello and goodbye

A Chapter by Austin Jolly

There are two kinds of people in this world. those who wish something happened, and those who get s**t done. Me? well, im a get-s**t-done kind of guy. Its been a dream of mine to be a Navy SEAL since I was a little kid. Now here I am wearing the SEAL trident on my uniform. Normal statistics show that over 80% of the sailors training to be SEALs drop out. Only 20 would graduate in a class of 100 on a normal day, and i'm a part of the 20 sailors that went through hell to become SEALs. Im Petty Officer Locke, the newest addition to the US Navy SEALs. Everyone just calls me Locksmith ever since I booted a door without breaking the door handle off. God knows how I did it, but i know its never happening again. I started my SEAL training about 12 weeks ago, now im in dress whites with the other SEAL graduates with the SEAL instructor yelling across the lot while ringing the bell as hard as he could.

"IT PAYS TO BE A WINNER!!" i heard that SOB scream while he rang the bell, which earlier symbolized the sound of defeat. Now there he is ringing the loser bell to signify that we won. Oh, the irony.

'HEY LOCKSMITH!!" i hear as i look over toward the barracks to see my friend Paul waving at me, in an attempt to summon my presence. People called him Tick for some reason, I dont know why. He was my friend in high school, and we enlisted in the Navy together.

"What the f**k do you want?" I say with a smile as I hug his lonely a*s.

"I dont know what to make of this, dude. we're SEALs now. do you think we'll operate together too?" Paul eagerly proclaims.

"Hell if I know, thats up to Commander Garrison. I dont know if we will though." I reply.

"F**k man, that wouldve been cool. I just want to grab a gun and shoot something, you know? im trigger happy!"

"then go join the f*****g Army!" I jokingly reply as we stand there laughing away.

It was at that moment when the SEAL instructors called the whole platoons attention as we look over in their direction. they just wanted to congratulate us on our hard work, then telling us to get the f**k out. I found it a little funny, we were stuck with them for 12 weeks. Everyone but the instructors just bolts it out of there while paul and i walk away, not intimidated by the rash toughness of the instructors now that we know everything they do. it really felt like a hello and goodbye type of instant.

"Hey, bro. you want to hit the bar? i heard theres a really nice one down the street, called wunderBAR or some s**t." paul asks as we walked to our cars.

"Sure man" i agree. "Its been too long since I last had a drink, now im really looking to getting one."

Paul offered to drive ahead as i followed him in my jeep. i looked out the window to see some of the newer SEALs walking the sidewalk, probably heading to the same place we are. when we get to the parking lot of wunderBAR, he zooms into a parking spot that some other guy and his girl were about to take, i swear they were cursing their eyes out at him. 

"Crazy b*****d" i thought to myself. I looked for maybe 5 minutes before i found a parking spot to finally throw my jeep into. this place was packed. im talking freakin 20 billion people in an area the size of a small airport, with the bartenders never moving or looking at one spot for more than a second.

"these guys better get paid well" paul proclaimed.

"you wanna work here to find out?" I sarcastically reply.

"Man, shut up. lets just find a seat to sit your smart a*s."

I laughed for a minute. we found a good spot for a minute, bumping into 5 or 6 other guys only to find out that it was taken by midgets. we must have circled around the bar about 3 time while trying to get some breathing room from all of the f*****g people that were here. we eventually found one and threw ourselves in it before anyone else could take it. the instant Paul sits, he rips open the menu to see what they have at the bar.

"dude, they have bloody marys here!" paul eagerly states.

"lets not get crazy, dude. just get a few here and go home."

well, thats exactly what didnt happen. he end up burning like $100 on bloody marys and getting drunk off his f*****g a*s. i just had two and im still sitting at the same table while Paul over there is drunkenly flirting with the hostess that served us.

hours passed when i finally looked at the clock. it said 2246, so that meant it was time or us to leave. To my dismay and utter disappointment, the bar was still packed. I took paul by the arm and threw him in my car and checked into a nearby motel to crash in for the night. That SOB was a riot to silence, but i eventually got him to shut up and go to sleep.

"Jesus, what a f*****g day this has been" i think to myself as i change out of my dress whites and into a T-shirt and shorts. i threw myself on the couch while paul hogs the bed. I found myself zoning out to an overhead ceiling fan for an hour. I eventually closed my eyes and fell asleep.


© 2014 Austin Jolly


Author's Note

Austin Jolly
what do you guys think of it so far? this is only the first chapter, many more to come! give out some reviews and ratings as to what you think of it, and anything else you can say about it!
cheers :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I really enjoyed this.. you write well.. you made the character believable and I was quickly immersed into the tale.. the interaction within the dialogue felt real, entertaining, and honest.. that is quite a skill.. the story line is interesting and makes the reader want more.. this is pretty dang refreshing.. I did notice a few places that needed editing with capitalization and punctuation, but overall this is impressive.. I cannot wait to read more of your writing.. well done!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AprilRN1210

9 Years Ago

I have "miscalculations" all the time, so I understand completely.. you are more than welcome, it wa.. read more
Austin Jolly

9 Years Ago

feel absolutely free to explore the other chapters as well, for I will do the same for you! :)
AprilRN1210

9 Years Ago

I will definitely be doing that for sure.. thank you...



Reviews

I really enjoyed this.. you write well.. you made the character believable and I was quickly immersed into the tale.. the interaction within the dialogue felt real, entertaining, and honest.. that is quite a skill.. the story line is interesting and makes the reader want more.. this is pretty dang refreshing.. I did notice a few places that needed editing with capitalization and punctuation, but overall this is impressive.. I cannot wait to read more of your writing.. well done!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AprilRN1210

9 Years Ago

I have "miscalculations" all the time, so I understand completely.. you are more than welcome, it wa.. read more
Austin Jolly

9 Years Ago

feel absolutely free to explore the other chapters as well, for I will do the same for you! :)
AprilRN1210

9 Years Ago

I will definitely be doing that for sure.. thank you...

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

411 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 5, 2014
Last Updated on August 5, 2014


Author

Austin Jolly
Austin Jolly

Naples, FL



About
I'm 20 years old and I write military fiction books dedicated to realism. I am serving with the US Army. Veteran of war and the theater of combat. "I've been told that I am a good man, living in .. more..

Writing