Never a dull day

Never a dull day

A Chapter by Austin Jolly

I woke up the next morning to see Paul looming over me, standing unwaveringly still with a smile on his face. with his state of intoxication last night, i'm surprised he could even function normally.
"Mornin' partner!" Paul says.
"Dude it's..." i looked at the clock on my phone, I didn't even believe it was freakin 0930 with the sun just shy of breaking through the morning sky. "...its f*****g 0930, how the f**k are you awake?" I say as i lift myself to sit on the couch, rubbing my eyes and slapping myself to wake up.
"Well i'm just awesome. say, where'd you leave my car anyway?" he questions.
"f**k...um...back at the, uh.....back at the bar..." i sluggishly announce as i try to stand up off the couch. i looked up to see Paul, no longer in his dress whites, but in his PT gear, sweatshirt and shorts. His dirty blonde hair looking clean as a whistle with a few of his childhood scars still coursing his face, no bigger than an inch or two. His smile still present, which i questioned him about. im not a morning person...at all.
"oh, cool. thats like, what...5 minutes away?" Paul estimates.
"yeah, that's....that's it." i reply.
Paul looks around for a bit, looking at the "bedroom" with the "kitchen" in the same room, with the "TV" on the "dresser". he came to the conclusion that this was a s****y motel, but it worked for a night.
'well, come on dude, get the f**k up and we'll go for a run."
I loved him already. "we're gonna run? alright, lets go"
i bounce up off the couch and change into my workout gear, Under Armour everything, with a custom made shirt that had the UA logo on the back and the SEAL trident on the front.
i made sure i had the room keys with me as we hit the road running. the air felt cool and the area around us, quiet. we passed by some early birds walking to or from wherever they were going, and a young lady with like six dogs all on leashes...but they weren't going crazy as one might expect. they were just calmly walking on the sidewalk. Paul waves to the young lady, couldn't have been older than 25. she gave a smile back, as i could hear him laughing as we ran. about a mile into the run i start breaking out a sweat, with paul over there sweating like a pig. the only thing i've heard all morning was the constant clacking of our shoes hitting the floor, and the wind blowing in my face and through my hair as we ran against it. the overhead clouds made a calm and relaxing orange color as the sun is starting to shine brighter and brighter. we kept running until we eventually hit the beach about another mile and a half away, where we ran across the sand, over a jetty or two, and eventually running towards a lighthouse mounted atop a nearby pier. 
"this is where i, like to go when i go for, for runs" he said as he kept running, pausing to breathe every now and then.
i looked at the lighthouse, then towards the ocean that sat in front of it. the waves were calm while still making small waves that crashed onto the beach. seagulls and pelicans diving into the water for some food, while chirping in the air as they flew. rain clouds beyond the horizon were forming as well. i could hear the thunder after about 6 seconds i saw the lightning in the clouds. the sun was just beginning to streak across the sky, with some clouds in its way, the air still felt very cool and relaxing. the sounds of the ocean and its birds added to that effect.
"hey, ill race you to, the pier over, there" Paul challenged.
"oh, you're so, on bro...prepare to eat, my dust" i accepted.
Paul then kicked his legs into overdrive and kicked up sand with every step he took. he got about a three second head start before i went into overdrive and sprinted across the beach. our breathing intervals got slightly faster and louder, sweating got harder, and steps got longer. i eventually caught up to him, with the pier closing in quickly. 
I look over to Paul while he seemed fully concentrated on beating me. "Yo, bro." i call.
Paul looked at me, shocked to see me next to him. "what the fu-" he says
"see you at, the pier, mister Navy SEAL" I challenge as i speed off in front of him, giving it everything i have before climbing the steps to reach the end of the pier.
it seemed like forever to reach the lighthouse, when Paul speeds in next to me, but clearly ran out of gas to sprint any longer. "Long time, no see" he says.
i smile as i turn to face the pier, our shoes stomping on the wooden floor with every step we took. i gave it one last push as i painfully sprint to the end of the pier, next to the lighthouse. I use my hands to come to a hard stop at the guard rail placed at the edges. a half a second later, Paul does the same thing. we were so out of breath, knowing it was hard to stand any longer. it took about 5 minutes before we kind of caught our breath enough to be able to stand up straight and take our hands off our knees. 
we stood against the guard rail, looking at a jack attack happening below us in the water, and the seagulls and pelicans dive-bombing for some food nearby. a few joggers and fishermen populated the shore as the waves remained calm and the ocean clear as diamond. we saw a few snook and some bait fish swimming in schools in completely random directions. a few lady fish also populated the ocean below. we saw the fins of a few dolphins as they blew out water and took a breath of fresh air. one of them was apparently going crazy and was jumping six feet out in what seemed like every 30 seconds. I looked over toward Paul, who was smiling a little bit as he looked at the seemingly endless ocean like it was his first child.
"nothing like a calm day at the beach, am I right?" Paul comments.
"agreed. i like the stormy weather though. there are some rain clouds over there too." i say as i point toward the clouds that covered most of the sky six or seven miles away.
"yeah, i like the rain too, its fun to run in." Paul compliments.
"i see you still have a little kid in you."
"always have, always will, buddy."
"never give that s**t up man, you only have it once. make it count."
"yeah...ill make it count alright." Paul finishes.
we laugh a little bit as we listened to the sounds of the beach, seagulls, aquatic life, and a few booms of thunder every now and then. we sat there for about a half an hour just listening and relaxing. it got to be around 1030 hours and the thunder clouds were getting closer. time to go.
"hey, Paul. we should book it back to the motel. ill drive you to get your car back, and we'll head back to base." i advise.
"sounds good. lets get going." he agrees.
we nod at each other in agreement and took off running back to the motel. down the steps and across the sand we ran, still with only a few joggers and fishermen present at the beach with us. we ran by a guy who caught a little shark. i stopped to look at it for a minute, with Paul stopping a second or two later. the guy looked at the shark he caught and removed the hook gently from its mouth. he set the shark gently back into the water and released it. he looked over toward us and waved with a smile. he couldn't have been over 30. we waved back at him and continued running. about a mile and a half into the run back, i looked back to see the rain clouds gaining on us. i was surprised that it moved that quick in such short time. we ran by some girls in a group with Starbucks coffee in each hand, probably the sweetest kind of frappe that existed on the menu. none of them looked older than 21. Paul stopped to talk to them, when i noticed his absence only seconds after.
i gave a big sigh of disbelief as i walk toward him and grab his arm. "PAUL, YOU'RE MARRIED! LETS GO!" I announce as he waves goodbye with a smile on his face. we heard the group of girls laughing intently as we ran off back to the motel.
it started to rain a little bit when we got back to the motel. Paul crashed on the bed while i took the couch, both of us trying to catch our breath. a loud clap of thunder presented itself as it rained harder and harder, eventually being able to hear the drops of rain smacking against the roof of the motel room.
"this is what you like, isn't it?" Paul comments.
i got up off the couch and pulled the curtains away from the window. it was dark and raining hard with small, quiet claps of thunder as the lightning struck miles away from us. "yeah, stormy weather. I like it a lot." i agree.
Paul laughs as he falls to lay down on the bed, while i leave the curtains pulled away and sat on the couch, just watching the darkness outside and listening to the rain drops hit the roof. it was relaxing for me, i liked stormy weather. today was turning out to be a good day so far. i later saw the same group of girls we saw earlier running into the motel room next to ours.
"hey Paul, your lady friends are in the room next to us." i advise.
he lays there and laughs. "i'm a married man, remember?"
"well, if you didn't keep hitting on women like that i wouldn't have to remind your dumb a*s." i counter.
we laugh hysterically at each other, as the room grew silent again only a minute or two later. 
never a dull day to be a SEAL.


© 2014 Austin Jolly


Author's Note

Austin Jolly
what did you think of the imagery in this chapter? take a minute or two to give an honest review if you will, i'd love to see how you guys like it!
cheers :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

definitely needs editing for grammatical errors.. overall the story-line is good, entertaining, engaging.. nice addition.. I admit, I enjoyed the first part of this more, but this one was good.. you write really well for your age.. the imagery was done tastefully, could be a little more vivid at times, but some places was beautiful.. the dialogue was interesting and amusing as always.. well done.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Austin Jolly

9 Years Ago

yep...everywhere I have grammatical errors haha but im going back to fix them when im done with the .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

325 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 5, 2014
Last Updated on November 16, 2014


Author

Austin Jolly
Austin Jolly

Naples, FL



About
I'm 20 years old and I write military fiction books dedicated to realism. I am serving with the US Army. Veteran of war and the theater of combat. "I've been told that I am a good man, living in .. more..

Writing