Lilly's Test

Lilly's Test

A Story by Willys Watson

Lilly’s Test

1. The Late Night Visitor

Sometimes during the night she was wakened by a warm light that seemed to illuminate her whole bedroom. Bolting upright, she quickly glanced around to see if anyone had entered the room. Seeing no one in the room she was relieved, but still puzzled and perhaps a little alarmed, Then she heard a soft, gentle voice speak to her.

“Lilly, I’m not going to hurt you and I have no physical body. I just want to talk to you for awhile,” it told her.

“Assuming this is true, and not a dream or perhaps a moment of crazed temperament, why should I talk to you?” 

“A fair enough question to ask. And I can assure you this is not a dream, an illusion or a moment of crazed temperament. I just want to talk to you for awhile, then ask you some questions and let you answer them as honestly as possible,” the voice assured her.

“If what you say is true, then why me and not someone else?

“Because you were selected, based on you knowledge, your education, experiences and your willingness to help others when you can, by a team of celestial researchers.”

“Assuming I’m willing to accept the possibility of some celestial researchers, why was I selected?” Lilly asked the voice.

“An excellent question. And as we talk you’ll begin to understand why you were selected.”

“Okay, assuming this is true, I’ll go along with this for awhile. But can I ask that we stop talking and expect you to leave?”

“Of course you can. And I promise I will leave and never return.”

“Okay, so let’s start with how you knew my name, how?”

“Through the research.”

“And, besides me, how many others were selected?”

“That depends on what country they are from, their personal backgrounds, what belief systems they have and how basically honest they are.”

“And these questions and answers are some kind of test?”

“Yes, Lilly. And a few never get past the first stage. Most make it to the third and final stage. And those who make it to the third stage almost always make it through the final stage. The researchers have dome their research. The ones who don’t get past the first or second stage is usually because of their temperaments and the researchers not discovering soon enough, veiled motives or empathic limitations that are difficult to detect at first. When this happens they wake up without ever knowing they were visited by one of us during the night.”

“I’m becoming interested enough to take these tests. But, because I can’t see you and it’s difficult to tell your gender from your voice, I would certainly feel more comfortable if I had an image to look at while we talked.”

“Another fair and honest concern. So, I’m wondering if you loved your Grandfather Karl?”

“Of course I did. When I was younger, all the way through the forth grade, my Grandfather was in my life more than my parents.”

“Okay. And please don’t be alarmed if I’m about to appear as a translucent image of him, doing my best to sound like he did when he spoke to you.”

“I doubt if you can pull that off, but if you do you’ll have my full attention.”

She waited in silence, waiting for the reply from the voice. It’s reply was to appear while sitting in a chair, smiling at her, as he looked enough like her Grandfather to convince her the test should continue.

2. The First Stage Test

“The first stage covers your life through the forth grade will consist of only one question.”

“Will that one question be enough to pass the first test?”

“To them it will. Because they believe it defined your childhood. But you can ask questions any time you want to. When your Grandfather Karl took you to the city park, and you both went to the playground area, you always seemed to wait before sitting yourself on a swing seat. You would help the smaller kids who had trouble climbing up to a swing seat first. Why did you do this?”

“Because, I suppose, I already knew I could sat on a swing seat easily and some of the smaller kids couldn’t and I was worried they might hurt themselves.”

“But one or both of their parents probably brought them to the park. Why not let them help their kids?”

“I don’t know why. But sometimes they were busy talking to each other and I was already at the swings. And I moved pretty quickly as a kid, faster than the parents and much faster than my Grandfather. So, how did you know about my Grandfather, the park and the swings?”

“That I will answer at the end of the second test.”

3. The Second Stage Test

“The Second Stage Test covers your life through high school and there will be more than one question asked,” her translucent Grandfather image informed Lilly, then asked her, “Are you ready?”
 
“That depends. Is it covering my high school social life and my dating history?”

“That depends on you. You decide what events during this time you considered important at the time. Like events that could have altered you perspective and determined what you wanted to do with the rest of your life.”

“Instead of your questions if might be easier if I gave you an abridged account first.”

“That’s fine with me, Lilly.”

“By the time I was in High School my life was exciting, but to me and my younger brother it was also filled with a lot of uncertainty and stress. By then our Father was making a lot of money. But in making that money he seemed to spend more time away from hone than he being with us. Our Mother resented him for not being home much because of his job. She also resented him because she always wanted a career of her own, even though they both agreed it should wait until both me and my younger brother Jeff finished High School and were in college. But Jeff was killed in a car wreak right after he started his Freshman year. And though our Mother was driving the car they both blamed each other. He accused her of not paying attention because she was talking on her cell phone. And, of course, she denied this. She accused him of never being around to help raise the kids, like taking Jeff to baseball practice. Within three months they were divorced. Soon, Mother got her licence to buy and sell real estate and did well for herself. But, like Dad, soon she was rarely home and my Grandfather pretty much raised me until I went off to college.”

“As to dating, Mister Grandfather Spirit, I did date in High School, but none of those boys were someone I wanted to get serious with. So I focused on my classes and my grades and did well, good enough to earn a Scholarship in English Literature from our local University. So, Mister Grandfather Spirit, do you have any questions to ask?”

“Not really because I read the research papers before I chose you to try to help. 

“But I have a question. Was that moment defining enough to pass the test?

“There were many defining moments from your high school years, more than enough to pass the test, like you befriending other classmates who didn’t seem to have any friends. And you when you stood up to the school bullies.”

“I suppose so. I just don’t remember them all.” 

“But to answer your question about how the reachers knew about your Grandfather Karl, you and the swings, he told us this himself after he passed away in your last year in college. And he and your brother Jeff, though he passed away far too soon, is at peace with himself and has been with your Grandfather living in the Realm. Trust me because I know. Everyone living in the Realm lived on Earth before we passed away.”

4. The Third Stage Test.

“Although you Major was in English Literature you chose diverse electives like Anthropology, Environmental Science and Twentieth Century History. Can I ask why?”

“Because I wanted a well-rounded, fuller education. I also choose , as an elective, to take a class in Criminal Science.” Lilly told him.

“That’s certainly diverse. But the Major in English Literature you took was to prepare yourself to be a teacher, right?”

“Of course, but I always wanted to become a serious writer. Being realistic about it, I knew few writers, serious or, make enough money to do so for a living so I taught English Literature.”

“But you did because, within four years, you had a novel published that became a best seller,”
her Grandfather Spirit reminded her.

“I was one of the lucky ones.”

“Do you want to talk about Hal?”

“Not much to say about him, and what I tell you, you likely already know. Yes, I was crazy in love with him, the first time I’ve been in love. After he graduated he spent two years in the Peace Corps, all of it in the Amazon Rain Forrest. After he returned Hal told me he visited me long enough to tell me he still loved me but simply was not ready to have a long term relationship with anyone because there was too many things he wanted to do and it wasn’t fair to be away from anyone for long periods of time.”

“I actually didn’t know the part about him returning to the Amazon Rain Forest. I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. I already went through that with both my parents, so I understood. He returned to the Amazon Rain Forrest and teaches kids there, among other things, how to use computers and he seems pleased that they’re so willing to learn.”

“So, anyone else in you life now? I mean someone your involved with?”

“There’s a possibility, but I don’t want to talk about it now.” 

“So, can we talk about your novel?

“Of course.

5. The Forth Stage Test

"Your novel is called ‘Living A Complete Life’ and in it two sisters, named Kate and Carla, received enough inherence money from an Aunt to buy an abandoned shopping center to turn it into a private school. After the renovations, it was staffed with enough teachers with enough experience to teach different classes at several grade levels."

“That’s true, Grandfather Spirit.”

“But what interested the celestial researchers the most was the teachers who taught American history. They taught American History without trying to rewrite it.”

“I’m very proud to live in a democratic country and our country has had moments to be proud of, like during World War Two when everyone pulled together to do what they could to defeat both Germany and Japan. But there have been moments in our history that many of our citizens should not be so proud of.”

“That’s obviously true and you’ve easily passed the last test.”

“Thank you, Grandfather Spirit.”

“You’re welcome, Doodlebug.”

“How did you know that was the private nickname my Grandfather gave me?”

“I’ll explain that after we talk about your future. But first I want to ask you a question about this novel and some questions about your new novel. Is that okay with you?”

“Of course,”

“In your novel you mentioned some books in the school library, one of which was ‘To Kill A Mockingbird,’ a famous novel a few have wanted to band.” 

“I don’t why anyone would want to ban it. Like books about World War Two and the Great Depression, the Lee novel is based on actual events. And in that school library there are no really offensive books or R or X rated books. And yes, there were several complaints made to my publisher about Lee’s novel, but he ignored them.”

“I’ve noticed that you don’t do the normal book tour thing to promote the novel.”

“I’m hardly shy. I just want to keep my private life as private as possible. But, as you likely know, I accept and do telephone interviews when I have time.”

“The new novel your working on is called ‘Everyday Heros’ and I’m wondering if some reader will find reasons to complain.?”

“Why would they? It’s based on twelve people and their lives before and after that hurricane that caused so much damage and heavy flooding. These twelve people came together to help as many people as possible during and after the heavy flooding. One of the twelve saved two children trapped in a car that was slowly sinking because of the flooding. In saving them he lost his own life. But the point of the whole story is these people came together, along with many others, to try to help these they could. The novel is about their personal lives before and after the flooding and how the event changed their own lives. And they weren’t thinking about being heros while they were trying to help others. They just thought it was the right thing to do.”

“Sounds like it might be another best seller.”

“You’re too kind, Grandfather Spirit. But the thing about someone trying to save you, be it a fellow soldier or someone in Para-Rescue or Fire Fighters or Doctors and Nurses, when they are trying to save you shouldn’t be  caring what their accent or skin color is. My new novel is based on an actual event and a few of those people trying to help others had different skin colors.”

“I understand that and knew about the hurricane and the flooring. Still, there will be a few people who - “

“Please don’t finish the sentence because I know what you’re going to say,” Lilly suggested after she interrupted him. There will always be ‘stone casters’ who feel they have the right to cast stones.”

“Personally, I think you’re overqualified to receive the gift the Celestial Committee is giving you.”

“You’re too kind, Grandfather Spirit.”

“Your brother Jeff told me that no matter how well know, how famous you become, to him you’re always be a snot nosed know-it-all.”

“Explain that, please.”

I will as soon as we finish talking about your future.

6. Lilly’s Future

“The well deserved gift the Celestial Committee is giving you is Celestial Protection to continue to try to help those you can and too continue to write the types of stories you write. And the gift will be extended to include children, those you chose to have or adopt. And the guy who or may not be a part of your life. The guy you don’t want to talk about.”

“He’s an attorney and half of his cases are Pro Bono. He helps people who can’t afford good attorneys. That’s all I’m telling you. But, but if he’s not the one I chose to live with?

“Then the protection will include the one you do chose to live your life with.”

“But what does the protection imply?” 

“It means that those who qualified and embrace the concept will never end up like a Gandhi or JFK.”

“And how many have qualified so far?”

“I really don’t know overall. But in the area where you live, in cases I’ve been involved in or heard about I think it’s ninety five or six so far. And it’s a cross section or a group, like with two doctors, six teachers, retirees helping build homes for lower income families and an airline pilot who volunteers to help put out forest or brush fires.”

“Okay, but what about what Jeff may or may not have said? Are you actually my Grandfather coming back as an apparition?”

“Remember what I said about your brother, your Grandfather and I living in the Realm. Wouldn’t you think we would talk to each other?  For now, focus on your own future and the directions you want it to take. But we’ll be talking in the future. And always remember you being who you are is who you are, not who I or anyone else is or was,” he told Lilly as he rose from the chair and slowly vanished into a vapor.

© 2023 Willys Watson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

264 Views
Added on July 27, 2023
Last Updated on August 9, 2023
Tags: Hope, Help, Loss, Family, Spirits, Writing, Teachers, Books, History, The Future

Author

Willys Watson
Willys Watson

Los Angeles, CA



About
Writer, Artist, Scalawag. more..

Writing