The Self-Adjusting Dream

The Self-Adjusting Dream

A Story by Willys Watson

The Self-Adjusting Dream

About four in the morning Pete woke up from a short dream he had where he was in a bookstore and the next aisle over he saw a woman with long, frizzy hair, close to the color of Brunette, and she smiled at him. Although the dream was short, he wanted to try to remember all the details he could. This didn’t happen because suddenly he felt someone sitting on his bed.

“Am I still having this dream even though I thought I woke?” he asked himself.

“What do the think?” asked the voice of a woman.

Pete quickly turned on the lamp that was sitting on a end table next to his bed and saw the same woman from his dream.

“I guess I’m still dreaming.”

“Is that such a bad thing? The way you looked at me I assumed you wanted to talk to me.”

“I did, but shouldn’t we still be at that bookstore?”

“Dreams can change locations as we dream. And I’m Paula.”

“Hello, Paula. I’m Pete,” He told her.

“Hello, Pete, and good morning. But I’m wondering, because this is your dream, it I’m your image of a soul mate?”

“To be honest, physical apparence isn’t that important to me. Personally, I find you physically attractive. But real beauty, at least to me, is a woman who is intelligent, honest and well-read who can be humorous when she wants to be or serious when she feels she needs to be.”

“Thank you for your honesty, Pete. But if we could meet in real life, instead of a dream?”

“If you’re willing, I would talk to you and ask some questions to get to know you better and hope you’ll answer the honestly. And you, Paula, would ask me questions for the same reason.”

“Of course I would be honest when we meet, perhaps getting to know each other as we sat at a sidewalk table in front of a Coffee House.”

“I would love for that to happen.”

“If will happen in real life, likely early next week when we meet, by chance, at a book store.”

“I would love for that to happen, but I want you to be honest and tell what you think of the way I physically look.”

“You’ll likely never make a living as a male model but, with the glasses you wear and how you act, like being calm during your dream, I think you look like a cross between a nerd, a professor and a buff construction worker.”

“Not bad at all. To pay my bills I do the electrical wiring for new homes being built. And I have a degree in Creative Writing. Nothing published yet, but I’m writing both humor and fiction. But will you look the same as you do now?”

“I may, or may not, look the same. Just trust your basic instincts. Those instincts will let you know. And mine will do the same for me.” 

“I know you’re in a hurry to rest up for our first date, but at least give me a clue to what you would likely do for a living.”

“Likely do for a living? I could likely do a lot of things for a living, but in real life I would likely be a High School teacher,” she responded, then chuckled, then slowly faded away.

After Paula’s image was gone, he lay back in his bed to try to memorize every thing happed in his dread and the dream within his dream. Pete had never really considered the possibility of soul mates until now and he hoped she would really turn up in real life, frizzy hair or not.

© 2023 Willys Watson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I can totally relate relate to this story as I've had such dreams. You're depiction is on point. Kudos.

Posted 5 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Elegantly tender. Dreams have a way of waking us up to many possibilities. Frizzy haired or not

Very well developed and written.

With love,

Matthew

Posted 6 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i really like how Paula is able to change Pete’s mind about soulmates - it’s clear and awesome character development and the best thing is that this is realistic and a dream like this with a soulmate could occur to anyone. kudos!

Posted 8 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Willys Watson

8 Months Ago

Thank you. I might expand this to add a few more lines.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

515 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 5, 2023
Last Updated on August 8, 2023
Tags: Dream, Humor, Soul Mates

Author

Willys Watson
Willys Watson

Los Angeles, CA



About
Writer, Artist, Scalawag. more..

Writing