New Horizons Fall

New Horizons Fall

A Chapter by Starr
"

Freedom is a joy, until you have to pay for that freedom...

"
 

The room was so oddly cold that it, more or less, smothered me. I wish to leave this dreaded cottage, but my sister demands me to let go of the past. How can I let go of Roxie? No, I am talking about a town, so small too. The population was less than 76, and the one town that still haunts me 'till this day. I wish I could burn that town, everything be smoldered and ashes encase every hole...



The dark Elm trees settled along the street line. No cars have been seen since we left the interstate. Houses do line the streets, few lamps flicker through closed windows. I lean my head against the cold window glass. I traced the tree line with my eyes. Up, Down, Round, Up, Down, Round. The pattern hardly quit and I was beyond exhausted.

My eyes drooped shut and when I was half into my nap, something shoved against me. My sister had that smile plastered on her face. "Come on, get up now." I grumbled  and looked out the partially fogged window. In my view was an old cottage, it had a blue door, the first that caught my intention. A navy blue door, drawing all attention to itself. I shook my head slightly and keep examining the home. The shutters were blue too, brighter than navy. A Magnolia tree stood in the center of the yard, and standing proud it was. It stood right beside a somewhat cracked stone path, and while flowers speckled across the tree like snow.  There was a shed towards the back, run down. The old wood seemed to be crinkled and tired. The trim had faded and splintering wood covered its windows. 

I looked around and could not spot a hint of neighbors. My sister shoved on my bare, freckled shoulder, "Would you stop day-dreaming." I chuckled, "Yea, Yea, I will think about it." She shook her head, "You know the orders, 'no day-dreaming'. That can cause everything we have done to help you go off-track." I crossed my freckled arms over my chest, "Stupid doctors." My sis, once again, shoved my shoulder, "You stop saying that. Now, if you don't want to be walking in the sun, get moving. It's an hour 'till sunrise."  I grumbled and pushed the door open and swung my bare feet to the ground. The feeling of coldness, coated my feet. I looked down and smiled, it had been forever since I felt dew covered grass. I smiled again and grabbed 3 of my bags and hauled them out and up to the cottage. 

Aami was in front, attempting to open the navy blue door. "Den said this key would work!" She began kicking the door, poor door. "Let me." I grabbed the key, spoke softly to the door and it unlocked with a twist of the key. She laughed, "No fair, the door has a crush on you." I shook my head. "Abuse solves nothing." I picked my bags up and threw them on the black sofa. I wanted to find my room first, so I trudged down the hall. I seen wooden doors that all looked alike. 

The cottage had 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, bigger than the normal ones out here. I don't feel like looking at everything so I peeked in 2 doors and both were white bathrooms. I moved on down and opened the first bedroom door. It was revolting and hideous at the same time. The walls were plastered in revolting green wallpaper. It crinkled in corners and looked like vomit in the others. I shut the door and moved on. The second room, it was beautiful, baby blue walls, and a plain king-sized bed. This was a definite maybe.  I smiled and moved to the next room. The third room was horrible. It was yellow and not suttle yellow or happy yellow. It was revolting yellow, like mustard. I left and moved on faster than a bear running to honey. The last room was so seemingly different. I pushed the door open and a king-sized canopy bed was displayed in the center of the room on black shag carpet. The walls were blue, darker than baby, and bay windows faced the lake. 

I ran to the living room and grabbed my bags, hopefully, and ran back to the last room. I threw my bags on the floor and fell back on the bed. The sheets were cold like winter and the air smelled of lavender, surely Aami was meditating again. If she would learn to live, then she wouldn't have to meditate and stink up everywhere we go. I covered my nose with the sheets and stared at the smooth white ceilings. The darker blue walls complimented the white and like everything else here, smothered you in thought. 

My sis walked in and sat a bowl of burning lavender essence on my dresser. I coughed, "Please get that out of here. She laughed, "I am removing negative energy." I grumbled, "Just get your stuff and get out!" She dropped her head, grabbed the bowl, and left. She never once attempted to slam the door. 

I was surprised that she wasn't screaming at me, usually when this happens, she gives me a long lecture. This time, she pulled the omega card and just left. Thinking of wolves keep me sane, the one of 2 things that seriously do keep me stable on that thin border. They are my light to my darkness and it kept me breathing. I still smelled lavender, I hated it. 

Aami was singing in the kitchen and I was sprawled out on the canopy bed. It was like, the best bed ever, a cloud. It was so much softer than any things I have ever slept on. "Sis! Breakfast is ready!" I grumbled and pulled myself up, "Whatever!" I kept my gray hoodie on  and drug myself down the hall and plopped into one of the six wooden chairs. "Glad to see you are uppity!" I grumbled and she sat a plate and a glass in front of me. I poked at the eggs and switched to my pancakes. "The doctor has you on a diet, you know that. So I want that plate cleaned." I mocked her under my breath when she walked back to the kitchen.

I had a boring plate of eggs, pancakes, sausage, biscuit, and a piece of lettuce. I was given the pleasure of milk, but something smelled funny. "What is this milk?" She shook her head and sat down, "It's milk." I shook my head, "No." She looked down and took a sip of hers, "It's soy, much better than regular." I grumbled again and ate the rest of my food, "Get me real milk please." She shook her head, "No." I was getting upset, "I don't want that mess!" She sighed, "You are 21 and I'm 20, you act like a toddler." I took a deep breathe in, "I don't want it, I have my rights, finally." She was beyond furious, she slammed her fork down, shaking the table. "Go to your room if you can't respect what I am doing for you! If you aren't satisfied, just go!" Her voice was fiery, demanding, harsh, cruel, triggering. A flashback hit me and I collapsed to the floor. 

"Get that trash up and to the cellar, Now!" I was screaming loud and louder, "Shut up!" I whimpered at his voice, demanding, but I stood my ground, standing against his 6'7 frame. "Back up." He said with jaws clenched. I kept my spot and he reached and slapped me, a warm, tingling sensation ran down my face. "You will obey me." He smiled and grabbed my hair and slammed me into the wall. He smirked and walked out, slamming the door."

        I was sweating and hot and couldn't breathe and there was that sensation of someone holding me. "I-I am so sorry." She tugged my arm, "Please wake up, fight it." She ran and grabbed some water, holding it up to me. I grabbed it with my shaking hands. I took a small sip and the glass slipped from my fingers, shattering on the floor. I shook my head and fell back, darkness covering me, and the faint whispering of voices.


© 2016 Starr


Author's Note

Starr
I need all and any advice, from wording, to naming, to things.. Please let me know everything you think, I won't be offended by anything!

Love Y'all! <3

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

The story had great possibilities. Just remember the who, what, where, when and how of every situation. You create life, struggle and mystery. I recommend more detail. I enjoyed this as-is. Remember make the reader see the surrounding, the clothing and feel the emotions. Description is the love blood of a tale. Thank you Starr for sharing your new story. I hope to read more.
Coyote

Posted 7 Years Ago


LOVE IT!!!! The descriptions are so specific!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Starr

7 Years Ago

Thank You So MUCH Quinn! I was really hoping you would like it and/or love it! I am so glad you read.. read more
Quinn W

7 Years Ago

Aaaw! You're so welcome!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

282 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 29, 2016
Last Updated on August 29, 2016
Tags: new, beginning, start, wrong, voices


Author

Starr
Starr

Richton, MS



About
“Normal is not something to aspire to, it’s something to get away from.” - Jodie Foster Who am I? Well, that seems like a simple question that could be answered by a small sentenc.. more..

Writing
Thought Thought

A Poem by Starr


------- -------

A Poem by Starr


Lost Lost

A Story by Starr