The Dance With My Best Friend

The Dance With My Best Friend

A Story by WriterMe
"

How does it feel going to the prom with your best friend knowing there might be something more...

"

 

 

                    "Will you dance with me? I asked, slightly holding my breath at her response. She looked at my outstretched hand with her blue eyes now glimmering under the pale light of the moon. Then she looked at me and gave me the smile I was hoping for.

"Of course I will"

 

                    I took a deep breath of anxious air as I rang Andrea's doorbell.

"Relax Ry" I whispered to myself, fidgeting with the black tie of my tuxedo.

While rocking back and forth on my heels, I waited outside Andrea's house for some one to answer the door.

The night surrounding me was quiet in an eerie sort of way, as if it were tuning it self with my anxiety. And for the most part, what I couldn't understand completely was, why was I so nervous?

All I was doing was taking Andy to the school dance. But today, I slightly differed from the usual role as that of a friend.

Tonight, I gulped. I was her date.

The whole prom event was our idea of a joke to pacify our situation of being dateless or rather, Andrea's situation of not being able to get a proper date. The dance was not only girl's choice, but also mandatory for either of us to skip. And knowing Andy? She wouldn't be able to ask anyone for the life of her. So she asked the only guy she knew.

She asked me.

Her best friend.

"What's the big deal?" I asked myself, questioning the sudden ball of nervousness creeping up in my stomache once again. This was just another dance. Another stupid compulsory Valedictory dance.

 

                    Such silly things like school dances never mattered to people like me and Andy. She and I have been best friends from the day we realized we had almost everything in common. Except for the oblivious difference of our genders.

But who cares?

That never bothered me. Nor did all the teasing in school because of our inseparability.

 

                    "Best friends" I repeated out loud. Yeah, that's what I was doing. A close friend helping another. I wasn't her official date or anything.

And that was what I was telling myself for all the butterflies hatching in my stomache right now

 

Soon, the door finally opened and Andrea's mom, Mrs. Wayner, was looking at me with one of her rare ear splitting grins. She even held the door open for me to come inside.

"Andrea!" she called from the door way, her eyes still fixed on me. "Your date is here!"

I turned slightly red at the word 'date'. She really did take this prom thing more seriously than I thought she would.

"Coming!" I recognized Andy's voice from up the stairs. "Don't let Rylan up mom!"

"Of course not" Mrs. Wayner laughed. The wrinkles around her eyes were upturned into a unique smile of their own.

But what? I can't even go to her room? But that's what I always do. Then I shook my head. Of course I couldn't. She must be getting ready.

On any other day, I would have invited myself into the Wayner household without ringing the door bell. Help myself to their always-loaded fridge and hop up to Andy's room to see what she was up to.

Was she taking this prom thing as seriously as her mother?

 

                    As we waited, I began fidgeting with my tie again. The silence between me and Mrs. Wayner was peculiar today. I noticed the camera in her hands, waiting to take pictures of her daughter's first and last official prom. First and last, that had to feel out of place for a mother. Andrea never was the girl who dated.

Mrs. Wayner on the other hand, always would ask Andy if she had any actual dates for once. Knowing the answer, Mrs. Wayner never complained about her secret desire for her girl to be the prettiest thing around, popular and a load of guy friends.

Except for me, that is.

"This really means a lot to me Rylan" she spoke, barely audible. Her eyes were still on her camera. "The dance…" her voice trailed off.

"After Andrea's dad…." She shook her head as if changing her flow of thoughts. "Andrea never had a date before" she said finally. Then she turned to look at me with tired soft brown eyes, conveying something I failed to hear. She was categorizing me as Andrea's first date.

"No problem" I mumbled.

Inwardly, I sighed. I was the only one taking the school dance that casually. It's true that no matter how much Andy's mom smiled, there was always that tinge of sadness in her eyes. Andrea and her mom really have gone through a rough patch in life before. She was practically like a second mother to me. And if this mattered so much to her, then I could do as much for her and her daughter. Mrs. Wayner does deserve her wishes to be fulfilled in life. Maybe I could make it a little bit happier for her. Take a bit of the sadness away from those eyes.

So then and there, I promised myself that tonight I wasn't going to act anything less than how a date is suppose to for the time being.

Well, try to at least.

For her sake, for Andy's sake and for the sake of the butterflies growing in my stomache.

I was surprised at myself. My mine never changed so quickly before as it did now.

 

                    I began nervously rocking back and forth on my heels again as another phase of silence reached us. At the same time, I was trying to control the ball in my stomache from swelling up again.

"What time do you want Andy back home, Mrs. Wayner?" This is was dates usually ask, right?

In response, she just smiled. Upturning her wrinkles again. "You kids just have fun today" she winked at me. I just blinked back at her. No curfews? We always had them. I mean, when me and Andy use to go out for movies and ice cream. This was odd of her.

I was about to ask her something else when Andrea's voice boomed from upstairs.

"Okay, I am coming down!" she warned from the top of the spiral stair case. "Promise me you wont laugh at what I am wearing, Ry"

I cranked my neck a bit to try and get a glimpse of her before I made any promises. I still couldn't see her so I replied to the sound of her voice.

"I'll try not to"

"Rylan!" she complained. "Otherwise I am not coming down"

"Okay, okay" I said re-assuring her, still unable to stop myself from laughing quietly. "I won't. I promise"

That seemed to convince her as she slowly descended down the stairs. Her silver heels were coming into sight. Surprisingly, she took one step at a time. Usually she jumps every two.

Must be the heels, I concluded.

Amidst my thought, I felt myself draw in air as she carefully climbed down the stairs and came into complete view.

I could feel my jaw hanging partially open, unable to close. As if some unknown force held it that way.

I mentally prepared myself for Andrea looking a little bit like how a girl is actually supposed to. But I didn't imagine this.

The girl standing before me was not the Andy I think I knew. Her daily attire consisting of a loose hoodie and cargo pants were now traded for a soft blue gown. No frills, nothing girly. Plain turquoise blue with a beautiful silver design down both the sides. The color matching her eyes to a perfect extent. Her long copper curls which were usually slapped either into a messy bun or a ponytail, were hanging down her pale shoulders flawlessly. I noticed she wasn't wearing any jewelry or makeup. Typical of her. At least I could find a little bit of my Andrea re-surfacing in this girl.

I could tell she was struggling to walk in her silver strappy shoes. She never wore anything less than a comfortable pair of sneakers. I should know.

But in such a simple ensemble she looked so…. Pretty.

No. She looked something more than that. I guess I just didn't have a word for it.

I jerked back a blink when I thought of myself calling Andrea pretty. I never found myself appreciating how she looked. She always looked like the normal girl she was to me.

Just plain Andy.

This seems highly unusual too. Why was everything so different to me today?

 

"Hi" she whispered, as she made it next to me.

It took me a while to realize she was talking to me. Rylan Margold.

"Close your mouth Duckie" she used the palm of her cold hand to lightly lift my chin up.

And sure enough, with those words I snapped out of my helpless reverie and slightly shook my head.

This girl was my Andrea after all. I frowned a bit when she called me Duckie. It was her mocking nickname for me, born due to my -now ceasing- habit of pouting my lips like a duck when I was a kid.

She just wouldn't let that name go. I could see high hits of amusement playing on her face.

"You look… I mean… you are… I mean…" I stammered idiotically, trying to find the word I was looking for a few minutes ago.

I could also see her head tilt slightly to the side. Her eyes expecting a due full comment for the obvious trouble she took in dressing up. In the end, she gave up and laughed in a very unfamiliar way. She was trying to shake the disappointment she felt in those very same eyes.

I mentally kicked myself.

 

                    "Picture time!" Mrs. Wayner suddenly exclaimed, causing me to jump. Still laughing though, Andy took my hand unexpectedly and made a pose for her eager picture-happy mother. And as we stood I remembered something…

"Wait!" I said to them both. I felt like an idiot for not remembering this before. I took out a small plastic box out of my tuxedo pocket, displaying a white rose corsage inside. I admit, I was a bit humiliated while I carefully took out the small bouquet I made by myself.

A while ago, I promised myself I wasn't going to act anything less than how a date is suppose to, right?. And luckily fate was in my direction as this was one of the duties I was supposed to fulfill.

I glanced at Andrea as I opened the back pin of the corsage and turned towards her. I half expected her to take it and pin it on the front sleeve of her dress herself.

She looked back at me, slightly pink as she shrugged her perfect curls aside. Her way of telling me that her off shoulder dress did not have a sleeve. Or any sleeves for that matter.

I felt my eyes grow wide with embarrassment, so I turned to look at Mrs. Wayner instead, showing her our slight problem.

"Here" she smiled and calmly reached out for a silver clip at the back of Andrea's hair, that was used to keep a few of her curls in place.

She gently removed it and gestured me to pin the corsage in replacement for the clip.

Surprised, I did as I was directed and took a few seconds to admire my own handiwork. The silver trinkets I added to the corsage, thinking she would like them, really did match her dress. I smiled to myself. Not bad for a first date.

Then I turned to look at Andrea's patient face. "Thanks" she smiled shyly. Very unusual of her again. Andy never shied.

"No problem" I replied, slightly embarrassed again. Her hair, I remembered, smelled really good.

 

                    I posed for the pictures once more, like any date would. Shoulders straight and a wide yet timid smile. Andy probably got the gist of what I was trying to portray as she formally wrapped her hands around my arms and together we smiled for the camera.

After a few blinding pictures as 'dates', we inevitable relaxed a bit and unconsciously took a few pictures as 'best friends' instead.

In one picture, she struck her tongue out as I propped a peace sign behind her head. In another, I comically held her throat as she posed as some one being choked.

We took one last picture which I mentally made a note to take a copy of. It wasn't anything special, but in fact, resembled a picture I has of us sitting on my bedside table back home.

In it, her hands were casually wrapped around my waist and mine were around her shoulders. This particular picture wasn't thought the whole formal predicament as dates. And yet it wasn't leaning so much on the best friends' line either. It was an odd but rare combination of both. Something a little beyond comfortable but not so awkward at the same time.

I liked it.

 

                    "Did I tell you, you look smashing?" Andrea said the last word with a bad imitation of a British accent. I smirked at that comment while we were walking towards the school dance hall. I didn't take half the trouble she did while getting ready.

"Thanks" I replied. "And you look really… beautiful"

Still, I couldn't help staring at her. Andy turned into a completely different person on the outside. More than the excess tomboy I thought she was.

The decreasing uncomfortable feeling came back.

But never the less Andy smiled, genuinely happy at my words. She really did seem to like what I had to say. Like her hopes were counting on them. And I smiled back at her. I did happen find the word I was looking for after all

 

                    The dance, as predicted, was nothing great. We took our place next to the food table and I began our usual routine of making wise cracks about the people around us. What they were wearing and who they had come with and this didn't seem out of the ordinary.

To me.

More jokes followed about the way the people on the floor were dancing ineptly to the music. Never thinking about the hypocrites were about to turn into.

At some point, I notice Andrea grew really quiet. She just stood there with her arms folded and her lips set firm. Her eyes followed the other couples as they danced to the slow songs playing in the background. She was looking at them as if she were contemplating on something. As if she was lost in a world of her own.

Not only at this point, but I noticed how quiet she really was tonight. Things were fine till we stepped into the school hall. After that, all Andrea did was laugh in that unfamiliar way again at all my non-funny jokes. Or force a smile.

This ironic silence was the same phase between me and Mrs. Wayner. But it was stronger with Andy, almost unbearable. 

It didn't feel right. Not one bit.

I was going to ask her why she was acting this way. But before I could have, her other girl friends approached us.

I remembered to bring this up once we were alone again.

Her friends, I couldn't help smiling, commented on how great she looked and weird enough, their eyes kept on glancing back and forth between me and her.

I raised an eyebrow when they asked me if they could 'steal' her for a little while. "Sure…I guess" I said to them, shrugging my shoulders. "Her wish, her feet"

Surprisingly Andy gave me a look I could only describe as hurt.

What did I do now?

But before I could ask her that too, she had already walked across the hall and began talking and smiling amiably with the rest of them.

I found myself frown. Something was definitely off, I could tell. But frustrating me more was that I didn't know what that 'something' was.

"Girls" a voice behind me sighed.

I turned to look around and my friend, Brian, was now standing next to me pouring two cups of punch. He seemed to have noticed Andy's expression too.

He sighed again.

"What?" I asked him, clearly puzzled.

"Girls" he pointed out, while drinking one cup of punch. "That's what. They always want something from guys like us, but never bother to tell us what it is that they want" he shuffled on his feet. "It's like they are playing some sort of perpetual guessing game with our minds" with his finger, he made small loop around the side of his temples.

"Andrea wants something from me?" I asked thoughtfully. "She could have just told me that". Like she usually does, I wanted to add.

"Aha, but the problem is they don't" Brian took another sip from the cup he just realized was meant for his date. So he began filling another one.

"But…" I mumbled.

"Dude" Brian interrupted and put his free hand on my shoulder. "Are you seriously expecting her to tell you?" His gaze flickered towards Andy and then back to me. "You guys are like best friends right?"

I nodded my head in response.

"She asked you to the last senior prom she will ever go to, in her entire life. Right?"

"Well… yeah"

"Why do you think she asked you?"

He had me there. I knew the answer to that question, but something was telling me it wasn't the right one.

"Because…" I continued "She couldn't ask anyone else"

Brian shook his head from side to side. "Are you sure that's all?" and with that he took his cup and disappeared to look for his date.

I blinked at his shadow. What did he mean by that's all?

I turned my eyes to Andrea who was still standing with the rest of her friends. Musing, I watched her laugh, smile, frown and bite her lip at all the things her friends had to say to her.

Once, she glanced back at me and gave me a small wave. I waved back, catching yet another flint of disappointment flash on her face.

Again, it looked as if she were hoping for something.

She immediately resumed interacting with the others, like she had never looked at me. And I continued to watch her with questionable eyes.

Something was horribly wrong tonight. Not something but everything was wrong. It didn't feel the same. It didn't feel right. Nothing tonight did.

At the same time, her look of pure disappointment frustrated me alongside Brian's cautious words.

'That's all?' Of course that was all. What else could there be? What am I suppose to do more?

I furrowed my eyes together. Was I suppose to compliment her outfit more?

No. That's not it. She looked too beautiful tonight to be ruined by such a negative emotion.

Repeatedly I asked my self, what was missing? But I never got an answer.

I though hard, inevitably making my Duckie face and hoping no one would see.

I began thinking about Andy and me and everything between us. All these years what I mean to her and what she meant to me.

She was always my best friend. She asked me to be her 'date' because she felt uncomfortable in asking anyone else.

And that was all.

Just. Best. Friends.

But then, as I kept saying those words to myself they felt like glowing embers to me. Tonight, they had the dull glow but not the bright light they usually do.

I crossed my arms firmly together. These words had something more to them, but I couldn't put my finger on what it was. And it was annoying me.

                    Feeling mentally clouded. I decided to go outside and to think. I needed the free air that was obviously non prevalent inside.

I found a cold rock to sit on and took in a deep lungful of the night air. Amidst all this, I couldn't help but wonder why Andy's slightest disheartening reaction was disturbing me so much. It bothered me to an extent I never knew existed.

I sharply exhaled and closed my eyes.

 

                    Andrea Amy Wayner has been my best friend from the day she shared her Super-Duper-Chocolate Sundae with me in the park, when I had dropped mine. It's true that she never officially announced it or anything. But it was invisibly understood. Some things don't have to be said aloud to be claimed.

But there was this one day I remember when those same words held so much meaning to her as it did to me.

I lapsed back into this memory I had when we were 15….

 

                    I remember sneaking out of my house at 10 p.m. Way past my curfew and I couldn't care less. I wouldn't visit Andrea so late in the night but I had valid reasons. I overheard my mom talking to Andy's mom on the phone a while ago, hearing that Andy's parents were almost on the verge of planning a divorce and it really didn't sound so good to me.

Thinking of what it would do to her, I silently walked to her house which was only a few minutes away from mine. I knew she needed me and I would be there.

Reaching her house, I climbed to the top of her roof with the help of an apple tree growing alongside it. I tip-toed to her window and rapped my knuckles on the glass praying she would be awake.

Andrea cranked her head at the sound and immediately walked over to the window to slide it open. I quickly climbed inside, grateful she had let me in.

To this day, I couldn't forget the way her usual bright blue eyes were now replaced with tired, red and swollen ones. Her face was pale and thin, as the last session of tears still evidently stained her cheeks. She looked terrible and she was a complete mess.

Before I could have said anything, Andrea took a step towards me and threw her hands around my neck and began to cry uncontrollably.

Between the miserable sobs, she told me that I had just heard half the news. Her parents were getting divorced officially. Her custody was now effortlessly lying in the hands of her mother. What hurt her the most was that her father wasn't even trying.

As if justifying her words, I could hear her parents from downstairs in a louder voice than what we were accustomed to.

Her tears seemed endless and before I could react, I already found myself soothing her. Once she had soaked the front side of my shirt, she immediately realized her sudden burst of emotion and stepped back, mumbling something about being sorry and about my shirt.

"You really shouldn't be here Ry…" she said to me while wiping her eyes with the back of her hands.

"I wanted to" I replied, which was undoubtedly true. I was right, she needed some one and I was glad to be there for her.

"If my mom sees you, she would be furious" Andrea sat down on her messy bed. "Now really isn't the best time".

Her face sunk into a deep pit. Something which I have never seen visit her face before.

Suddenly, her eyes were filled with a new set of tears. While she sobbed, she buried her face into her hands.

Looking at her like this really worried me. I felt miserable and scared too. I would have stopped her parents divorce if I could have. Highly unlikely, I knew. But anything for her to be alright again.

So out of impulse of everything, I took her by the hand and said "Let's go"

She looked up at me with those dull eyes like I had gone crazy. "At this time? Are you nuts? Where?"

"Somewhere" I said, begging her to come. Anything to make her feel better.

She hesitated at first but eventually gave in.

Anything to get her out of the gloom that had inhibited inside her.

 

                    That night was the first night I took her to a little hideout I had discovered not long ago. It wasn't that far away, but down towards the beach. It was a stranded strip of shore on the other side of a small hill.

No one usually came here as the waves weren't as strong. They were pretty mellow in comparison to the main coast line. It was not only deserted but also untouched.

I found it ideal to just come here to either sort out my thought or escape life's troubling moments for a bit. I was hoping Andy wanted to do the same.

Soon, we found ourselves walking through the edge of the shore line. Sneakers tied on our shoulders and out feet getting voluntarily drenched by the lazy ocean waves under us.

Andrea told me everything that was bothering her. Right now, aside from bringing her here, the only thing I could have done was listen.

And I did hear everything she had to say. Mainly concerning her parents and how she wished this was all a bad dream (except for the beach). How she wished her custody remained with her mom irrespective of the fact that her dad was trying or not. How she hated the way she had to choose between them. Which kid would be able to choose between which parents they loved more?

At times when she was about to cry, I would take her hand and give it a soft squeeze before letting it go. After which, we retreated to the beach, still barefooted but mildly content.

Collapsing down on the soft sand, I noticed the creases on Andy's forehead.

"Duckie?" she called me.

"Hmm?"

"Why do you like coming here?" she asked.

I smiled a little, hoping I would get to voice out my reason in as few words as possible. I knew she wasn't in any mood for a long theory filled answer I would have given her on any other normal day.

"Close you eyes" I said to her "And listen"

I did the same as if that explained it all.

Together we heard the ocean waves gently hymning to us, coupled by the whispers of the wind in the background.

The sounds were indeed trivial, but to me they were harmoniously mixed into a melodious composition. I could feel it already calming me down. And I wasn't worried much.

The fact going noticed to a lot of people, voices of nature always have a unique tranquil effect of its own. It's a shame it always goes un-appreciated.

I opened my eyes and found her staring into the depths of the ocean, as the light of the moon reflected off it.

"Feeling better?" I asked hopefully.

She didn't say anything in return, but tried to force a small smile.

I took it as a yes.

Andrea sighed and looked up at the sky pleadingly. Her eyes were fixed to the mesmerizing dots of light, we call stars. My eyes were fixed to her face, almost studying it. Wondering.

Her thoughts seemed intense so I decided not to say anything further.

Bit by bit, the creases on her forehead relaxed and her eyes even brightened a little. And I was sure it wasn't because of the light of the moon.

"Thank you" Andrea said suddenly, closing her eyes.

"Oh, no problem" I shrugged "That's was friend do"

I tried to encourage a smile. This place had did help her in some way. I was glad.

"Thanks for that too" she opened her eyes and turned to look at me. Her eyes, though a little colored, were still tired.

"Thanks for what?"

"For being my best friend" she finally smiled and held one of my hands. "And a really great one at that".

 

                    My eyes snapped open, bringing the darkly lit school garden back into sharp focus. I held the side of my head for a while, trying to calm the throbbing sensation that played words in my head.

Best friends… best friends…

I stood up at an instant as those two words were now floating in front of my eyes, as if some one had written them permanently in the air.

My limbs were twitching with something I just realized, as I walked back inside the hall. I felt inconceivably light and dazed at the same time.

I scanned the crowd for Andrea and found her leaning against the side of the wall with a wistful face.

Before thinking through any of my actions and what I was about to do, I was already making my way her. The words were still dancing before my eyes as I stood before her.

"Lets go" I said to her and took her hand.

 

                    Surprising me, Andrea hadn't said a thing since I had wordlessly steered her out of school. Now in my car she was so still, so quiet. I would have said something, but instead, I was grateful for the silence for once.

I looked at her frame from the corner of my eyes. No matter how much she prepped herself on the outside, she would always be the same Andy I know. Indeed she was some one I could trust, believe and share everything with. She was some one I didn't have to explain myself to. That was the best part.

But the same part failed me tonight, for this I had to explain.

My eyes then turned to the road. Taking us to the only place I knew where I would be able to do this right.

 

                    As I took her down the familiar path, my hands firmly in hers. My mind cycled through everything I had composed of in the past hour. All of tonight I was complaining not being able to figure out her actions. I was frustrated at that. But now I think I knew what was bothering her.

And me.

We stopped at the beach. The same secret spot from my memory I took her that night.

As I let go of her hand, I turned to look at her. This time, I mean really look at her. For the first time in the perception I should have.

I never noticed the freckles on the bridge of her nose, or the perfect almond shape of her lips. I never noticed how her eyes were as blue as the sky. Somewhere that you could wish you were flying. Or the way her eyes smiled, just like her mothers, minus the wrinkles.

I never noticed all these features of her before. All these new sides I never knew existed till now.

With the same, I never saw what I really felt for her.

So I did the only thing I could have at that moment…

"Will you dance with me? I asked, slightly holding my breath at her response. She looked at my outstretched hand with her blue eyes now glimmering under the pale light of the moon. Then she looked at me and gave me the smile I was hoping for.

"Of course I will" she replied and took my hand.

With those words, that smile and her hand in mine, that's when I was sure…

I think I was in love with her.

 

                    Slowly but gently I pulled her closer and placed my hands on her waist. I tried to read her face, trying to configure the emotions emitting out from it. Her face said nothing but her eyes were in awe.

Suddenly, she frowned a bit before stepping away from my grip. For a split second my heart stopped, feeling that I had it all wrong.

But just then, she bent over and hastily unbuckled her shoes before flinging them aside.

I tried to smile at the awkward situation but all that came out was a lopsided grin.

Emphasizing my weird smile, I took out my shoes too.

I could feel her smile in the same way I did a few seconds ago, as she watched me roll the socks of my feet.

If she was barefoot, I might as well have been too. Just like that day.

I guess it felt more comfortable that way for both of us. We were already in the process of breaking down every wall of formality left between us. Why stop now?

Even more slowly than the first time, I kept my hands on her waist once more. I felt her hands winding themselves automatically around my neck

"No music" I whispered.

"Shh…" she quieted me. "Close your eyes" she repeated my words "And listen…"

And listened I did.

Soon we found ourselves swaying to natural symphony playing around us. Dancing under the bright light of the silver moon. Our bare feet gliding over the pale sand.

It seemed so normal to us…

Perfect in that way.

Andrea leaned her head against my shoulder and sighed. I placed my chin on her head, smelling her hair again, accentuated by the white roses I placed in them.

I was in love with my best friend.

I sighed too.

Then I thought; friendship and love. Love and friendship. In our case now….

What was the difference?

To me the words meant the same thing. Like the difference we had of our genders, the only difference those words had were of that of their alphabets.

Maybe, I had always loved her. Late in awareness perhaps, but I think I always did.

I figured that all this time the only way I could have expressed it, was when were spent all those times together, lingering on the words 'best friends'. Staying on what we thought we always had and believing in nothing more.

Clearly, this way we couldn't have stayed on the title friends anymore. That would have been the normal thing to do. But what if we still were? And in addition to our friendship, now we had something added.

We were in love, or rather I was. I still couldn't tell how Andrea felt even though I said nothing about it.

Still contemplating on the current situation, I noticed her sigh again. And really reallyloudly this time.

"Just say it" she whined softly.

I blinked a couple of times before I responded. "What?" I asked, slightly disoriented.

"Just say it Rylan" she looked up at me and we immediately stopped moving.

Suddenly I wasn't sure what she meant. Or maybe I did and I was trying to figure out what to say and most importantly, how to say it. Andy gazed intently into my eyes and bit her lower lip. Scared that what she said might have been a misinterpretation of something else. Something more deeper.

At that point we felt a gust of wind blow through us. I was wondering if even the forces of nature were telling us to get on with it.

Finally, just standing there made me say it…

"I love you" we chimed in union.

Despite ourselves and the current seriousness of the situation, we couldn't help but break out into laughter.

Laughing, it felt so easy now. I realized that I never felt so sure about anything I have ever said in my entire life.

I felt free, light and happy. And most of all, I was sure she felt the same.

                   

                    She looked at me with an enthralled smile that said more than words could have on how she felt right now. This was what she was hoping for the entire night. The short dance we had meant as much too. This was what that was missing.

"There goes our friendship" she mumbled comically, pursing her lips at the thought.

I rolled my eyes mockingly. She was kidding, I knew that. But what I also knew was the actual meaning behind those words.

As droll as it may sound, what if love consumed our friendship? It might over write anything we have had before. 

But to me, this seemed like the most perfect way to fall in love for the first time.

With your best friend, the perfect companion.

This way, you never have to begin something afresh. Never having to write this current emotion on a new page of a new book.

Particularly, what we had all along must have just seeped through the pages of all the older books. Realized to a deeper extent and made more meaningful.

I knew our friendship was no where near lost….

"Its just enhanced" I said the rest of the words out loud as I watched her face break into another set of smiles.

We were still best friends and always will be. We just loved each other more than the limiting boundaries that claimed us so.

Then without warning, Andrea tiptoed and reached up to slowly kiss me.

Glad that I finally found one thing which felt right tonight, I kissed her back with everything I have and had.

As she pulled back, she stifled a laugh at the sight of my dazed face. I would have too, I bet.

I felt her arms relax behind my next and she pulled them down to either side of me. She curled her body as if she was so happy being there. I hugged her around the waist to let her know silently I liked it this way too.

"Enhanced" she whispered, resting her head on my shoulder once more.

Wordlessly, we continued to dance under the warmth of the moon. Swaying to our make believe music for I don't know how long.

And yet, I never wanted this night to come to an end.

The dance I had, with my best friend.

 

 

 

 

© 2010 WriterMe


Author's Note

WriterMe
Grammar? Typos? Anything you want to say =]

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
LL2
Wow! That was absolutely fantastic! I couldn't read it fast enough because it was so good. The characters have a ton of depth. The change in time periods/flashbacks are done very, very well. The way you wrote, I could see the people, feel their characters, if that makes sense.
I especially liked, "Particularly, what we had all along must have just seeped through the pages of all the older books" The only part that confused me was, "Clearly, this way we couldn't have stayed on the title friends anymore. That would have been the normal thing to do" I know what you were trying to say, but the wording was a little off. All in all, this is one of the BEST things I've ever read!
When you get a chance, could you reveiw some of my writing?

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


Oh my goodness. Wow. I'm speechless, right now, and I don't think you realize how difficult it is for me to BECOME speechless. This was... breathtaking. It was incredible. I could read this story a million times and problem read it again and again afterward. It was so... typical, so common, but so beautifully described and put together. I've never felt so much like I was IN the story. I felt like Andy in this. I understood her frustration of being in love with her best friend, and it taking FOREVER for him to realize it. I understood why she smiled when she did, why she frowned when she did, and I could even understand things from Rylan's perspective. This story pulled me into it and made me fall in love! I've never been much of a lover of romantic stories or poetry, despite how I write a lot of it, but I, oh, I fell in love with this.
I noticed a couple of typos, such as the beach scene, when he's reflecting back to when he's 15, when he tells Andy to close her eyes, you wrote, "Close you eyes," when it should have said, "your." If there were any other typos, I didn't notice; your story had me mesmerized.
Thank you so much for entering this in my contest! I'm so glad I got the opportunity to read it. Absolutely beautiful. You have so much talent! Keep writing!

~Jade Mayhew

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


First of all, wow! This was absolutely adorable, and I couldn't stop reading until the end (probably why my sister is annoyed with my ignorance right now... xD)
That was absolutely touching my dear, and you wrote it so beautifully. Rylan didn't say that he felt awkward. He explained why he felt awkward and I admire the way you wrote in a way that flowed so well and your amount of description. There wasn't too much and there certainyl wasn't too little. Maybe it's my passion for romance, but I think it's mostly that i think you are quite the wonderful writer. And I apllaud (with my whole backup audience and all! if that makes sense what i mean...) how well you varied your sentence in style, length and variation of beginnings and ends.
And of course, I could go on and on and on if you'd like but then it would be longer than the actual story (I have been known to do that once in a while... xD) so here are a few suggestions I would make.
You overuse the word stomach and how butterflies are filling up in it a lot towards the beginning, when he's at her house. I might not have noticed it had you not spelled it wrong each time (stomache= stomach... but don't worry, it's chill) but it does seem like you use that phrase of butterflies int he stomach a lot. try changing a few to other things such as sweaty palms or that ADD moment we all get.
Oh and there were tense errors (I'm such a hypocrite for saying this because I have the same problem so I apoligize in that perspective). Either pick past or present. i hate to say that you can't have both. Oh, if life were fair and easy...
P.S. loved the hook =]

-Princess

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


this is a charming love story! loved it lol

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is such a sweet story, but there are grammar errors and typos here and there... But it's a beautiful story and I love it!!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


You know I love this story, there's just a charm to it you can't fight.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


Though it was kind of cliche and there were some tense, grammar, and spelling errors, I loved this story!
It's exactly what my best friend is going through. She and my other friend both like each other, and they've been best friends for a long time.
Beautiful and simple, and I really felt like I knew the characters.
Great job!
I'll be sharing this one with my friend!
~Lauren


This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


loads of typos, but your story was long so it's forgivable. lol. really adorable story.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

798 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 11, 2009
Last Updated on June 9, 2010
Previous Versions

Author

WriterMe
WriterMe

India



About
You know its funny how I have been on this site for nearly three years and never bothered to change the About me? And the funniest part if it all was how you read your before About me and smile at how.. more..

Writing
Closed Book Closed Book

A Poem by WriterMe


Inhibition Inhibition

A Story by WriterMe



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


HOPE HOPE

A Poem by Prateeksha Khot


To Feel To Feel

A Poem by WriterMe