Where Does My Heart Beat Now- Chapter 3

Where Does My Heart Beat Now- Chapter 3

A Chapter by Sympathy Heart

Chapter 3

Morning was somewhat comforting when Gabriel awoke from his restless night. Maybe if he continued on with his plan his day would get better, and hopefully Kate would be happy to see him. Well, time to go see where she lives. As he walked through the town, he had second thoughts about going, but then they faded away after he pulled out the address and realized he was getting closer.

The road to Kate’s home was covered in wildflowers and tall trees beside it. A few birds chirped cheerfully when Gabriel passed by, clearly enjoying the landscape around him; being away from the other guys turned out to be a good idea after all. Up ahead, a tall gate loomed, surrounded by flowerbeds. After checking the address once more, he was convinced that it was the right place. “Okay, time to go show myself. Hopefully her father isn’t home.”

After knocking on the front door, he waited for a few seconds before the door opened. Standing in the doorway was none other than Kate’s father, Corey. Crap. “Hi, is Kate here?”

A smile spread across Corey’s face at the sight of Gabriel. “Ah, you must be the one who helped my little girl yesterday. It’s nice to meet you,” He shook Gabriel’s hand, then turned to the living room, “Kate! Get your butt down here!”

Gabriel looked inside while waiting on Kate to come downstairs. Pounding on the landing told him she was on her way, but he almost panicked when he saw her stumble on the bottom step and fall flat on her stomach. Instantly, he ran over to help her up to her feet, “Oh my gosh! Are you all right?”

Kate dusted herself off, mumbling something under her breath, “Yeah, I’m fine,” When she looked up at the person who was talking her eyes sparkled in surprise, “Gabriel! What are you doing here?”

“You said to come by any time. So, here I am,” His eyebrows rose at the sight of her expression, “Is this a bad time?”

“No! I just wasn’t expecting you to come this soon… or at all.”

Corey sidestepped out of the room to give the two of them privacy so they could talk and catch up on things. Secretly, he hoped that their newfound friendship would develop into something more, but he would let them decide where it would go. Nice guy, and Kate seems very fond of him considering she never stopped talking about him last night.

Once he was out of earshot, Kate led Gabriel over to the couch where she motioned for him to have a seat, “So, how have you been? Did you sleep well last night?”

He sighed heavily and leaned back against the couch, “Not really.”

“Oh, How come?”

“My friends kept talking about you and me. They think I should make you my girlfriend and all this other crap.”

“What’s wrong with that?”

Her question made him look over at her, “Nothing, but I just didn’t want to rush things. Do you know what I mean?”

“Yes… but you shouldn’t let something like that get you down,” She bit her lip while deciding whether or not to tell him how she felt about the whole thing, then made up her mind, “Besides, I am very grateful for your kind service yesterday, and I really like you.”

Both of them started to blush violently, but calmed down when Kate asked another question. “So… um, what do you do as one of your hobbies?”

The question was one he was happy to answer since he enjoyed doing it so much, “I’m a Civil War re-enactor. I ride in the 1st Texas Cavalry with my friend, Sean whenever we go to a reenactment. Actually, the one in my home town is coming up in a few weeks.”

“Cool!” She seemed sincerely intrigued by what he was saying that she had to ask more. “Are there any girl re-enactors?”

“Sure. There’s always hundreds of them running around in those giant dresses and hoop skirts. There’s even some in the infantry and artillery.”

Kate sat listening to every word that came out of his mouth. She had never imagined meeting someone like Gabriel, who seemed like the type that would be involved in things such as a reenactment. “You know, I’ve always had this secret passion for that kind of thing, but my parents have expected me to continue singing like them or go into the medical field.”

“You don’t have to do it. Just go in the direction you choose,” He cleared his throat while twisting a tassel on the couch, “How old are you, Kate?”

“Twenty-three. How about you?”

“Twenty-four.”

“Really? Wow.”

Gabriel and Kate sat in complete silence for a few minutes, waiting for the other to say something. It could have been that neither one of them knew what to say or how far would be appropriate to ask. They listened to Kate’s father upstairs talking to Roxanne. Eventually, Kate stood up and offered her hand to help him up.

“Want to go outside and walk around?” She asked with a small smile.

He returned the smile before following her out the front door and into the rose garden. “Have you ever had a boyfriend?”

“I’ve never really had a desire to have one.”

“Oh.” At hearing her answer, Gabriel sounded a little hurt. He had hoped that she would want to have him as her boyfriend.

Kate glanced over at him, and seeing his hurt expression, felt bad about what she had said and wanted to make up for it, “But that’s different now. I think I found the perfect man this week.”

His face brightened a little after hearing her, “Oh, who?”

“Well, he’s the cutest guy I’ve ever met, and I absolutely love his personality and smile,” The way she held her voice made the conversation sound a little mysterious. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Gabriel walking beside her with his hands in his jeans pockets. “Plus, every time he blushes it make me want to kiss him.”

Almost instantly, Gabriel stumbled and ran into a small tree that he could have swore popped up out of nowhere, or maybe it was from the initial shock of the one girl that he found attractive saying she wanted to kiss him. At least, he hoped he was the one she was referring to. Wow, she’s not afraid to say what she feels, he thought while Kate pulled him up to his feet.

“Are you okay?” Kate slapped his cheek in order to snap him back to reality.

“Yeah, but for a minute I thought you said you wanted to kiss me.”

“I did,” She waited for him to reply, but he never did. A snicker emerged when his blushing face caught her attention; it was one thing about him that had always made her smile ever since they had met, “You’re blushing!” After finding a mirror in her pocket, Kate handed it to him, “You blush easily, don’t you?”

“Yes,” Gabriel turned the mirror so he could see the color of his cheeks, “And it’s so embarrassing when I do.”

She stepped over beside him and rested her chin on his shoulder, then reached up to pinch the apple of his cheek. “I think it’s cute, Gabriel. Actually, that’s what made me notice you yesterday,” Her tone turned soft and sweet in the next few seconds she was near him. There was something about his presence that emanated from him every time he said something in his smooth, fluent Irish accent; it made her feel comfortable. Now that kind of voice is one every man should have. “Good heavens! Your accent is just about to cause me to have a heart attack!”

“Why?”

“Every time you say something it sends shivers down my spine.”

“Then, do you want me to stop talking?”

“No! I love your voice,” Kate took his hand in her own, shaking slightly from nervousness. His grip was gentle on hers whenever he felt her touch. Never before had she felt anything like she did around Gabriel. He has no idea how much I like him. Hmm, I think I’ll take him to my mountain ridge, “Gabriel, follow me. I want to show you something very special to me.”

The path they took to Kate’s ridge was magical in a sense, surrounded by flowering plants and different colored stones making up the path they followed. It almost looked like a horse had travelled it many times over the years from the way the patches of dirt had been exposed from underneath the stones. A few paces ahead of them a rabbit darted out of a berry bush into a patch of mountain laurel, making the two laugh. The landscape seemed so peaceful and refreshing from being up at a higher altitude. In the distance the snow-capped peak of Mt. Rainier soared above the cotton-like clouds, standing proud and majestic among the smaller mountains of the Cascade Range.

If only Mom could see this place, see would love it! Gabriel thought as he followed closely behind Kate, keeping an eye on the way she stepped gracefully over the small logs obstructing the path. I wonder what Kate’s thinking right now, “Where are you taking me, Kate?”

“You’ll see!” Her voice resonated off the rocks beside the path.

“Oh no! Is this the part where you get me in a secluded area, kill me, and leave me for the wolves?”

She chuckled warmly at his attempt at a joke, “No. Just wait, we’re almost there.” A few minutes later, Kate pulled back an evergreen branch, revealing a large mountain ridge covered in laurel and the delicate, creamy white blossoms of Lily of the Valley. Toward the edge of the ridge, overlooking the mountain range was a gray rock which could be used for sitting on. From some unknown area of the forest, the crashing of a waterfall could be heard, along with the various noises of animals curious to see who had entered their part of the forest.

“Well, this is it,” Kate sucked in a lungful of air before leading Gabriel over to the sitting rock.

At the sight of the ridge, Gabriel stared in pure amazement. Never in his life had he seen a place quite as beautiful. Well, maybe one but that would be revealed later when he was ready to show Kate. For the time being, he would just relax and enjoy the scenery around him. “Wow! How did you find this place, Kate?”

“I was just riding Honey one day and we kind of stumbled across it,” She sat down on the rock and motioned for Gabriel to join her, “This is where I come when I need to be alone or to think. It just gives me a sense of peace.”

He remained quiet for some time, soaking in what she had said, “You know, that’s how I feel after the reenactments I go to, and in the early morning hours before the other re-enactors are awake and making noise.”

“Have you ever been to this reenactment called Honey Springs? I hear it happens every three years, and I was wondering if you’d been since you live so close to it.”

“No, but I’m going this year with Sean and some other cavalry members, Gabriel became quiet while he thought about the reenactment. “Would you like to go with me?”

Kate’s eyes widened in shock; even though she had always wanted to go to one, she didn’t know what to wear so she’d be period correct, “I’d love to, but I don’t have any period clothes. Plus, what would I sleep in?”

“Time to start sewing, then,” He chuckled. “As for sleeping accommodations, I’ve got a large wall tent that I always use, and I’ll need help setting it up. Not to mention, our cook is really amazing when it comes to cooking over a campfire in cast iron pans and kettles.”

“I don’t sew. Which means I guess I can’t go with you,” She became sadden by the fact, but cheered up when she felt Gabriel wrap his arm around her shoulders.

“Don’t worry, I know someone who can make you some dresses and underpinnings to fit you.”

“Underpinnings?”

“…The clothes that you wear underneath the dress, like the corset, pantalettes, and chemise.”

“Oh,” She leaned closer to him without even realizing it, “I’d appreciate it greatly if you could ask her.”

“I’d be happy to, Kate,” He felt somewhat uncomfortable with her getting closer to him. Oh no. What am I supposed to do now? I don’t want to disappoint her, so I don’t want to move too quickly. “So, you’d seriously like to go with me?”

“Of course! I just don’t know how your re-enactor friends will feel about me being there.”

“They’d love to have you there. Actually, they keep asking me when I’m going to bring a woman,” He could feel his cheeks blushing slightly and tried to hide it, but it was useless.

“You’re blushing, again!” Kate started laughing before hugging him tightly, “You’re so cute when you do that. It makes me smile every time.”


The evening started to get cool while the two enjoyed strolling along the banks of a stream, which wound its way through the forest. Kate had wrapped her sweater around her shoulders with Gabriel holding onto her hand, taking small steps in order for her to keep up with him. They were on their way to the house when they heard a noise behind them, and turned around to see Nick and Max advancing quickly with sneers on their faces. Gabriel stopped, along with Kate, to see what they needed.

“Well, looks like we found out where he’s been all day, Max,” Nick held an edge to his voice and sneered, “We’ve been wondering where you’ve been, Gabriel, but it’s very clear to us, now. So, you think it’s better to ditch us when we went to Mt. Rainier for this girl?”

Gabriel clenched his fists, trying to keep himself from punching Nick in the face,” What I do is none of your business. Leave us alone, Nick… and where is Sean?”

“Who knows? He disappeared an hour ago. Didn’t want to come,” He turned to face Kate, “So, has he screwed with you, yet?”

Kate was shocked by the question, and even disgusted, “Excuse me?!”

“I’m guessing that’s a ‘no’. Well, that’s just like him. Little Gabe’s too afraid to even think about going that far. He hasn’t even kissed a girl.”

“Shut up, Nick. That’s not true… I’m warning you,” Gabriel was outraged by that point with Kate standing behind him for protection.

Max was the one to speak next, “She’s mighty pretty. I’d surely like her to be my girlfriend.”

“Gross!” Kate started backing away when Gabriel leaned over and whispered in her ear.

“Run, Kate! Get back to your house!”

At his instruction, Kate bolted in the opposite direction, leaping over a downed tree and panicked when she heard Nick tell Max to go after her and bring her back. The tension she felt in her entire body was overwhelming; she had to get to the house, knowing it was just on the other side of the tall pines ahead of her. The next thing she knew, she was yanked to the ground where her head hit a small rock. Max held onto her calves while she scrambled to get to her feet, “Get away from me! Gabriel… Help me!”

Meanwhile, Gabriel and Nick were still confronting each other by the stream. Both of them were up in each other’s faces, spitting threats until the other snapped. Gabriel was near punching Nick until his so-called ‘friend’ said, “You know, I don’t think you deserve that girl. She probably doesn’t even like you, Gabe.”

“That’s a lie! And what makes you think you deserve her?”

Nick leaned back and pointed toward himself, “Because I can give her what she wants.”

“Kate would never give you something so precious!”

“Like she’d give it to you.”

Gabriel clenched his teeth together, growling deep in his throat, “I hope you burn in Hell.”

Upon hearing Gabriel, Nick pulled back his hand, and thrusting it forward, hit Gabriel square in the cheek. Gabriel felt Nick’s ring catch the skin under his cheekbone and cut a gash across it. Warm blood trickled down his cheek, but he stood there, seething.

“Get out of here, Nick… and don’t you ever come around Kate or me again.”

“Fine,” Nick glared at Gabriel for a long time before turning and running off.

For a few minutes Gabriel forced himself to calm down until he heard Sean heading toward him, “Sean, what are you doing here?”

His friend skidded to a stop before plowing into Gabriel, “I called your phone to warn you about Nick and Max… where’s Kate?”

“I told her to run, and Max went after her. I pray she made it to the house.”

A loud scream in the distance alerted the boys of the worst. Both of them took off running with Gabriel in the lead, determined to get to Kate before she was hurt. Within two minutes time, they found her curled up on the ground, crying. Gabriel noticed she had a few cuts on her arm and a large bruise on her hip.

“Oh, my God. Kate, what happened?” Gabriel dropped down to his knees beside her.

She tried to speak, but was too shaken to get the words out. Her condition told Gabriel she needed medical attention, and remembered Kate telling him earlier in the afternoon that her father was a doctor at the hospital in town.

“Sean, we have to get her to the hospital so her dad can check her over for injuries,” Gabriel gently lifted her into his arms and walked with Sean toward the truck where he laid her across the back seat. Afterwards, he got in the driver’s seat next to his friend before pulling out of the driveway onto the main road into town. God, this is all my fault. I shouldn’t have told her to run when I knew something like this was going to happen. He quickly glanced over the back of the seat to check on the young woman, “Hang on, Kate. We’re taking you to the hospital, because you need to be examined for any internal injuries.”

By the time they pulled into the hospital’s parking lot Kate was moaning in pain. Once the truck was parked, Gabriel removed her from the back seat and carried her up to the front desk just inside the front door. The receptionist looked at the three of them, stunned when she realized that one of her boss’s daughters had been brought in.

“We need doctor Rogers!” Gabriel practically yelled at the receptionist.

“Which one?”

Gabriel stared at the receptionist for a few seconds before replying, “They both work here? Then get her father!”

The receptionist nodded and quickly got on the intercom, “Doctor Corey Rogers, we need you down here at the front desk immediately.”

Several long minutes had passed by when Kate’s father ran down the hallway, his white doctor’s coat flapping out behind him. The instant he saw Gabriel holding Kate, who was lying limp in his arms, the questions flew.

“What happened to her, Gabriel?” Corey leaned over and inspected a small cut on her upper arm.

“I’d rather not talk about it out here,” Gabriel’s voice sounded grim as he looked around to see who was around.

Corey’s head snapped up, “Gabriel I need to know what happened in order for me to figure out how to help her. If you don’t feel comfortable saying it out loud, then tell me in my ear.”

Gabriel glanced down at Kate, who moaned again, and sighed. He knew he had to tell Corey what had happened, otherwise Kate might be in serious danger. The thought that she had had something so special ripped away from her made him cringe.

Once Corey knew what to look for, he took her back to an exam room, leaving Sean and Gabriel sitting in some of the leather chairs by the tall glass windows of the front lobby. Sean did everything he could to cheer his friend up, but Gabriel was too down in the dumps to even care… he barely even noticed the gash on his cheek.

“God, why did I let that happen to her,” Gabriel slumped forward with his head in his hands.

Sean laid his hand on his back to console him, “She’s going to be all right, Gabriel. Her dad will know how to help her.”

An hour crept by while the boys waited on the news of Kate. Finally, Corey returned to the lobby, a small smile on his face. He sat down next to Gabriel and immediately noticed the gash, “Looks like you got popped a good one,” He joked and gently prodded around the wound, “Ah, this will just need a few stitches, nothing to worry about. Now, I suppose you want to know about Kate’s condition.”

“Yes, how is she?”

“She wasn’t hurt too badly, just a couple bumps and scrapes. Now, I did give her some medicine to prevent her from getting pregnant,” Corey prepared to stick the injection of a numbing agent into Gabriel’s cheek, “You’re gonna feel a little sting.”

Gabriel winced slightly from the poke, “It’s my fault this happened to her. I shouldn’t have told her to run.”

“No, it’s not. You were just trying to protect her, and I thank you for that,” Kate’s father finished suturing the gash and clipped off the excess, “She’s going to be pretty sore for a few days, but she’ll be fine. And I’d appreciate it if you would take her home and have her rest. Cherrie’s here, and Kate will listen to you before she will her mother.”

“Alright, and would it be okay if Sean stays with us?” Gabriel indicated his friend sitting beside him.

“It’s fine with me, and I’m sure Kate would be happy with the extra company.”

Kate leaned against Gabriel on the way back to her house while Sean drove the short distance. He kept glancing back at the two, but decided to leave them be. The signs of Gabriel and Kate’s friendship growing into something more was obvious in so many ways, especially right then.

The sky was completely dark when Sean helped Gabriel get Kate into the house where they had her lay on the couch. She tried to get back up as soon as her body touched the couch cushions, but Gabriel gently forced her back down.

“You need to take it easy, Kate,” His voice was soft but had authority when he spoke. He figured she’d listen to him, instead she refused to obey what he asked, “I’m serious. You’re hurt and need to rest.”

“I will not! You can’t tell me what I need to do,” Kate crossed her arms over her chest in defiance.

Gabriel rubbed his temples with his eyes closed, “Yes, you are definitely southern in my book. Now, will you please lie down?”

“What part of ‘no’ don’t you get?”

“Sean, help me.”

“Sorry. This is all you,” Sean was leaning against the door frame, watching the squabble, “Congratulations! You’re first fight.”

“Shut up.”

“Well, I better go. I need to get a hotel room,” And with that, Gabriel’s friend disappeared into the night.

 

Some time later Kate agreed to rest, only if Gabriel let her lay against him. He had kicked off his shoes before finding a comfortable position leaning against the corner of the couch with his legs stretched out across the cushions. Kate’s body felt soft as cotton on his, except that she had rather bony shoulders which jabbed him in the ribs. This is going to be so difficult when I have to leave. I better let her know now so she can prepare herself, “Kate, I have to leave on Sunday to go back home. I just want you to know now so you won’t be in for a surprise when that day comes.”

She lifted her head to get a better look at him and whispered, “I don’t want you to leave.”

“I know, I know,” He held her close to him, breathing in her sweet scent that he had become so fond of. If it was up to him, nothing in the world would keep him from her. Eventually, both of them had fallen asleep, not even stirring when Kate’s parents had returned home from the hospital.



© 2015 Sympathy Heart


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

She got raped TT-TT
“Gabriel, follow me. I want to show you something very special to me.”
(it's my g spot)
;) ;)


Posted 8 Years Ago


Sympathy Heart

8 Years Ago

yes, unfortunately she got raped. And this novel has plenty of moments that will make you feel good .. read more
Crimson Apples

8 Years Ago

lollllllll. I hope Gabe gets the chance to plummet the dude.
Sympathy Heart

8 Years Ago

just wait....

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

139 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 16, 2015
Last Updated on December 17, 2015

Where Does My Heart Beat Now


Author

Sympathy Heart
Sympathy Heart

OK



About
Hello! If any of you are members over at fanfiction.net, you might have seen some of my works. I have finished my big novel Where Does My Heart Beat Now with the help of my co-author Sakaro Amanda For.. more..

Writing