Where Does My Heart Beat Now- Chapter 15

Where Does My Heart Beat Now- Chapter 15

A Chapter by Sympathy Heart

Chapter 15

Kate stared at her half-naked body in the floor-length mirror, wondering about her somewhat round belly. She had gained quite a bit of weight since their encounter at The Grove in May. The months flew by until they entered early September and the weather had started to reflect the new season; she had the bedroom windows open to let in the crisp fall air. The beautiful day had pulled her attention to the outdoors, and she smiled at the sight of her husband romping around in the back pasture with Charlie while Bo and Yankee enjoyed grazing on the freshly cut hay in their trough. He had been polishing his McClellan saddle, but couldn’t resist taking time to bask in the abundant sunshine.

Could I really be carrying your baby, Gabriel? There’s no other explanation for my weight gain. The sound of the bedroom door opening startled her.

“It’s just me, dear,” Mae joined her in front of the mirror, where she bent over and laid her hand on Kate’s belly. “Hello, little one.”

“Mae, we don’t know if I’m pregnant. You have been feeding me exceptionally well, so that could be a reason for my growth.”

The older woman straightened, her hands on her hips, “Kate, it’s very obvious. There’s no doubt in my mind that my grandchild’s in there.”

A peaceful sigh escaped Kate’s lips. She truly wanted to believe her baby was nestled safely inside her womb. Hopefully, she’d find out soon whether or not she was pregnant, “Well, I guess it’s time to start getting my things ready for Honey Springs.”

“Oh! That reminds me… I picked up your new dresses from Beth’s,” she started to leave, but turned back around. “Could you do me a favor and get Gabriel’s uniforms out of the closet, but be careful of the pistol. I don’t want any holes put in my walls.”

Kate giggled as she opened the large oak doors near the windows. It wasn’t hard to find the uniforms among Gabriel’s other clothes, for they were right in the middle, separated by sheer green curtains. She gently took the wool uniforms out, surprised by how heavy they were, and laid them on the bed along with his hat and boots. When she turned back around the glint of the sword in its sheath caught her eye.

I wonder if this thing is real? With a small heave, she carefully lifted the weapon and almost dropped it. Yes, it’s definitely real.

“What are you doing?”

The voice behind her caused her to stumble into the bed before turning around to see Gabriel standing in the doorway, an eyebrow cocked in questioning, “Gabriel! Mae told me to get your uniforms out, so I thought I’d also lay your sword out for you… That thing is heavy! Where did you get it?”

He stepped over and picked up the sword, and then pulled it out of its sheath in one swift motion, brandishing it for her to see, “Susan gave it to me at the reenactment of Chickamauga. I’ve used it ever since.”

“That was so sweet of her,” Kate realized that she was just in her bra and panties, but she came to her senses. Get a grip, Kate. He doesn’t care. “How long will it take to get to the battlefield?”

 “Close to five hours if not longer,” he laid the sword on the bed before wrapping his arms around her from behind, resting his hands on her belly. An unfamiliar scent drew him closer. It had a faint sweetness to it, but it wasn’t overpowering. “Is that a new perfume?”

“No, it’s baby powder.”

Her answer surprised him, “Are you trying to tell me something, honey?”

“No.”

“Oh,” not the answer he had been hoping to hear. “Well, hurry and get dressed… I want to show you something.”

Before she could question him, he had slipped out of the room, “He is a mystery sometimes,” after grabbing a pair of light wash jeans out of one of the dresser drawers she hastily pulled them on along with her favorite purple shirt. It wasn’t long before she found Gabriel waiting outside by the tall tree in the bright sunshine. He motioned for her to follow him as he started for a dense line of cypress trees along a stream that flowed into the Big Cypress Bayou several yards to the north. Oh boy. Where is he taking me this time? Great, I hope he doesn’t plan on showing me some moss-covered log or the world’s largest mushroom. “Um, where are you taking me.”

He chuckled softly while holding back a tree branch for her to pass by without getting scratched up, “You’ll see.”

“That sounds familiar. Now, where have I heard that before?” She replied slyly, recalling the day when she had taken him to the beautiful mountain ridge.

Gabriel resumed his place leading, and slipped his hand into hers. He had every intention of sharing his special place with the love of his life and hoped she’d find it as peaceful and amazing as he did, “We’re almost there. It’s just on the other side of these trees,” with a push on a low-hanging tree branch, Gabriel revealed the most beautiful clearing anyone had ever seen. “What do you think, baby?”

The scene in front of her was extraordinary. She didn’t exactly know what to say, for she was at a loss for words. It wasn’t long before the pond caught her eye. The water feature lay in the very center of the clearing, its surface glittering in the beams of sun peeking through the canopy of trees. Every now and then the breeze would cause ripples to span out over the water, where they came to rest at the bank. Rising over the pond was a rounded bluff, providing a pedestal for the magnificent willow tree with its waterfall of branches reaching out over the water. It was like something right out of a fairytale. Could she be dreaming?

“Gabriel… I… How is this even real?” She moved next to him to share the moment, but he was already walking up the bluff before turning back to her.

“Are you coming?”

The longer she stood there the more she couldn’t resist the temptation of looking around the clearing, and followed him. They stopped beneath the willow and sat on the ledge of the bluff with their legs dangling over, “Does anyone else know about this place?”

“Only Susan,” he sighed heavily. “This is where she told me that she was pregnant.”

“It’s the most beautiful place I’ve ever seen. Who would have thought it would be here in the middle of a bayou?” Kate wished they could stay in the timeless place forever, but the sound of her cell phone ringing pulled her from her thoughts. After digging around in her jeans pocket, she pulled out the small device and flipped it open. “Hello?”

“Hello to you, too, sweetheart,” the voice on the other side replied happily.

Kate recognized the voice and became excited, “Daddy?! Oh, my gosh! I’ve been hoping you’d call.”

“I’ve wanted to call you, but every time something always came up,” he paused. “Listen, we’re planning on coming down to see you in a few days. I hope that will be all right with Gabriel’s parents.”

“Of course!” That’s when she remembered that the reenactment was around that same time. “Oh, we’ll be going to Honey Springs then, but I’m sure the others would be happy to have you guys join us. You’ll probably have to stay in a hotel if we don’t have an extra tent.”

“That’d be fine… Well, I’ve got to go. Your mother’s hollering at me. I love you, Kate.”

“I love you, too, Daddy.”

Kate returned the phone to her pocket before slipping off her shoes and dipping her feet in the cool water. She glanced out of the corner of her eye at Gabriel, who was lazily plucking at a blade of grass, and then, with a snicker, pushed him off into the water.

A few seconds later Gabriel came back up, spitting out a mouthful of water, “What the heck was that for?” He watched her, waiting for a reply¸ but when she refused to answer, he reached up and grabbed onto her calves, preparing to pull her in.

“Gabriel. No… No!” She shrieked in surprise as her body hit the water with a splash. The sudden temperature change sent her flailing toward the surface until she felt the warm rays of sun on her face, again. Once her heart had calmed, Kate twisted around to find her husband right in front of her, a lustful and irresistible smile on his face as he beamed at her. His bright aqua eyes burned for her like a million stars, seeking her love.

He longed to kiss her lips and hold her close. There was a deep feeling of intimacy growing between them, and eventually Gabriel couldn’t resist taking advantage of the moment. He pulled her against his body, feeling her soft curves, which sent tingles throughout him. His heart raced as he passionately covered her lips with his. He could feel her kiss become ravenous as if she hungered for more than he was giving her.

A few seconds later, Gabriel pulled back, gasping for air, “Damn girl! I’ve got to use those lips.”

Kate lovingly brushed her lips against his, “Oh, yes you do… For nothing but this,” she noticed how his shirt clung to his body, revealing the musculature underneath, and she swiftly removed it to get the full view. “How about you give me some of your sweet, Irish love?”

“And what do I get out of it?”

“An ‘I owe you’.”

Gabriel thought about her offer before replying, “I’ll hold you to it.”

 

A little while later, both of them lay on the soft grass, staring up at the orange light of sunset. Their clothes were almost dry, but they barely noticed, for they were too busy trying to figure each other out.

“What are you thinking right now, Gabe?” Kate asked before turning on her side to look at him.

He was silent for some time, thinking about what he would say, “You… I’ve noticed quite a change in you over the past couple of months.”

Is my weight gain that noticeable? She thought. “What do you mean?”

“Well, you’ve been more attentive and interested in helping Mom around here… And please don’t kill me for this… You’ve gained some weight. Just because I said I didn’t want you turning into a twig didn’t mean you had to go and gorge yourself.”

“That’s not the reason,” she swallowed to clear the lump in her throat. “I think it might be something… a little more. Gabriel, how long was it before Susan started showing outward signs of her pregnancy?”

“Oh, probably about four months, but that was so long ago and…” that was when reality hit him like a knee to the groin. “Kate! Do you think you’re pregnant?”

The young woman shut her eyes for a brief moment, contemplating how she’d breech the subject, “It’s entirely possible. I’ll wager that’s why I threw up that night in the camp. Even though I loathe catfish, that still wouldn’t be enough to make me throw up.”

Damn, now I owe Sean ten bucks. I need to learn not to gamble on female problems… I always end up losing, “That’s great! I can’t wait to-.”

“Gabriel, I don’t know for sure. I haven’t even been to the doctor. To tell you the truth, I haven’t even seen an office around here.”

“I can take you when we get back from Honey Springs,” he offered with a smile.

Kate thought about what he had suggested and didn’t know what to say,” Actually, I’d kind of like to go with Mae. It’s a woman thing, you wouldn’t understand.”

“I understand perfectly, babe,” Gabriel stretched out on his back with his hands behind his head. He thought about Kate’s condition and what they would do if she was pregnant. He’d have to give up so much of his time to provide for her and the baby, but it was a sacrifice he was willing to make.

Her voice was soft and tender as she spoke, “What would you name the baby if I had a girl?”

“I’ve always loved the name Shannon, but I would also like to name her after you. You’ve got the most beautiful middle name.”

“What? Cassandra? You’d name her Shannon Cassandra?”

“Do you not approve?” He turned his head to look at her.

“I do. I think it’s a pretty name.”

When they returned to the house, Mae was sitting in her rocking chair crocheting what looked to be a blanket. She smiled up at the two as they passed by. Once in his room, Kate started to undress while Gabriel was in the bathroom, but she jumped when he snuck up behind her and grabbed her by the hips. He had a wry grin on his face before sitting down on the end of the bed and pulling her onto his lap.

“You look tired, honey,” he stated after seeing her expression.

She suppressed a yawn, but there was no hiding it, “I guess I am a little tired. Maybe I should just go to sleep.”

He pressed his lips to the side of her head and rested his hands on her belly. A few seconds later he removed them after feeling something strange, “Did you feel that, Kate? I swear I felt some movement.”

“That was my stomach growling.”

“I don’t think your stomach kicks when it’s hungry,” he looked around the room before getting up. “Do you have a pregnancy test?”

“Well, no.”

“I swear on Susan’s grave… Sorry Susan… You’re pregnant,” Gabriel was bound and determined to find out if his wife was, indeed, carrying his baby. “I can’t take the suspense of not knowing! Wait!” He ran out to the living room where he nearly crashed into his father, who was carrying a pile of woolen blankets. “Dad! I need you to run to town and get me, like, five pregnancy tests!”

Rob stared at his son awkwardly with a raised eyebrow, “Uh, are you expecting a baby, son? Because the last time I checked you had man parts.”

“Wha-? No, they’re for Kate!”

“Okay, now that makes more sense, but why do you need five?”

“Those things tend to lie,” Gabriel tapped his foot impatiently while his father set the blankets on the arm of the couch. “Can you please hurry?”

“Why can’t you go?”

“I need to stay here with Kate.”

Rob chuckled warmly and pulled out his keys, “Gabriel, I don’t think she’s going to give birth in the next ten minutes. We don’t even know if she is pregnant.”

“Precisely why I need you to go.”

“Alright, I’m going. God, you’d think someone was having a baby,” he muttered to himself as he walked out the front door.

 

The clock above the family photo read nine forty-seven by the time headlights flashed around the living room where Mae, Gabriel and Kate sat waiting for Rob’s return. Gabriel was practically twitching with anticipation, and flew to the door when it opened and Rob stepped in with a brown paper bag.

“Did you get them?!” Gabriel’s eyes blazed as he kept his eyes on the bag.

Rob handed over the bag containing the tests, “Yes, I bought six.”

“Six? I only asked for five.”

“I got five for Kate… and one for you,” he smirked.

Gabriel’s eyes narrowed as his father’s words sank in, “You’re an a*s, you know.”

“I know. Who do you think you get it from?”

Without saying another word, Gabriel took Kate by the hand and pulled her into the bedroom, where he yanked out a test and handed it to her. He hoped she’d understand how important her condition was to him and wished with all his heart she’d cooperate, “I’ll wait right here.”

Kate disappeared into the bathroom and shut the door. He’s very determined to get this baby, she thought while hovering over the toilet bowl. She was somewhat embarrassed about peeing on a cheap piece of plastic.

The wait for his wife to return seemed like an eternity. Finally, she emerged from the bathroom looking slightly dejected. It was very clear the test came out negative. When Gabriel saw her expression he opened another test and slapped it into her hand.

“Gabriel, I can’t go on peeing all night!” She said incredulously.

“That’s okay. I can wait until you have to go again… or you can drink more water.”

“I’m going to bed. If you want this test’s results, then you pee on it and tell me how that works out for you,” she pulled back the covers and slid under them on her side of the bed before covering up to her neck.

“Ooh, moodiness! That’s a sign of pregnancy,” Gabriel leaned over her body, the test still in his hand.

“Good night, Gabriel.”

 Around three in the morning Kate felt pressure being put on her bladder, a sign she needed to use the bathroom. She quietly got out of bed, careful not to wake Gabriel, and headed for the bathroom, but not before picking up the test and taking it with her. The cold bathroom made the urge to urinate greater. As she did her business an odd feeling crept into her mind. It was like her body was trying to tell her something. When she pulled back the test she thought her eyes were playing tricks on her; a small, red plus sign was visible in the test’s window. This is weird. The other one was negative.

Kate returned to the dark bedroom where Gabriel was still asleep. He’d wake up soon enough when she showed him the test’s results, “Gabriel. Gabriel wake up!”

Her jostling aroused him from his sleep, and after rubbing his eyes, he noticed the pregnancy test and took it, “Kate, this says you’re positive for pregnancy.”

“Yeah, but the other one was negative.”

“There’s only one way to find out for sure,” he set the device on the mahogany nightstand and pulled her down beside him, where he laid his hand over hers, “I’ll have Mom take you to see her doctor as soon as we get back from the reenactment.”

She thought about his proposal and remembered that her parents were coming down to see them, “Gabriel, my parents are going to be with us at Honey Springs, and my dad will know if I’m pregnant, because he’s an OB/GYN. I don’t want them to know yet.”

“Just wear your crinoline and they won’t have to know anything. Besides, it would be nice to surprise them,” Gabriel tenderly kissed her lips before lying back down and drifting off to sleep.

 

On Friday afternoon, Gabriel was loading Bo and Yankee into the trailer when an unfamiliar SUV pulled up the driveway. At first he thought they were lost and asking for directions, but when the two stepped out of the vehicle a smile spread across his face.

“Hello, Gabriel. How have you been?” Corey inquired while inspecting the horses inside the trailer.

“Absolutely wonderful. Busy as usual,” he latched the lock on the trailer door before turning to the house and yelling, “Kate! Bring your dresses out here so I can put them in the truck!”

The screen door flew open with a bang against the sideboards. A tall pile of dresses and underpinnings drifted over the grass and teetered several times on the way to the truck, “Gabriel, help me! Grab my pantalettes, I’m losing them!” A voice from behind the pile pleaded.

“Is that my sweet baby girl?” Corey asked as he tried to see around the tall pile of garments.

 Kate poked her head around her clothes, a surprised look on her face, “Daddy?” She thrust her dresses into Gabriel’s arms before running over to her father and hugging him. It had seemed like ages since she had seen him last. “I’ve missed you so much. I hope you don’t mind going with us to Oklahoma. This is something we’ve been looking forward to.”

 “Not at all, honey. Besides, maybe your mother will finally learn something useful… Like how to cook.”

Rob and Mae showed up with the tent boxes and stakes, which were tied together with hemp ropes. The tent’s ropes were inside the boxes with the tents. Apparently, the only thing left to load in the trucks were their uniforms, Charlie and Gabriel’s sword. Rob put the boxes in the bed of his silver truck and turned to face the others, “I think we’re just about ready, son. We just need to get the dog loaded in and… Oh, you must be Kate’s parents. It’s nice to finally meet you two. Kate has been such a joy to have around here,” he said when he saw Corey and Cherrie standing near the horse trailer.

“Yes, she has,” Mae pulled the young woman against her side. “I love her to death, and she’s really made a change in our Gabriel.”

 After laying the dresses across the back seat of his truck, Gabriel turned to Kate with his hands shoved into his pockets, “Would you be a sweetheart and get my sword so I can put it in the truck? And be careful! I don’t want to have to pull that thing out of your skull.”

Kate returned a few minutes later with the heavy sword held gently between her hands and gave it to her husband, who set it in the floorboard. Afterwards, he headed up to the house to lock the door. From this then on they would be living on the rolling land of northeastern Oklahoma, at least for the next three days, that was.

Soon after, all of them loaded into the trucks, with Kate’s parents riding in Gabriel’s truck since it had more room, especially since they had their baby daughter with them. At the moment she was napping in her carrier and didn’t even stir when Gabriel fastened her into the back seat. From what the others had learned, Kate’s younger sister, Jaycie, had stayed behind in Washington to spend time with a friend while their parents visited Kate’s new family in Jefferson.

“She’ll probably be asleep the entire drive up there, which gives us time to catch up,” he carefully covered the baby up with her blanket and stroked her cheek. Maybe I’ll have a little girl like you, soon. “So, are we ready to hit the road? We need to leave now so we can set up camp before it gets too dark.”

His father walked over after checking on his horse, Yankee, “It’s four o’ clock now, so I’d wager we get there by ten.”

“Right. Kate, that means no stopping to pee until we get there,”

She stared at her husband like he was crazy, “Gabriel! I can’t hold it that long”

“Fine. We’ll stop in Hugo,” Gabriel opened the passenger door for Kate before going around to the driver’s side and climbing in, “Hop in, you two, and make yourselves comfortable.”

 

When they were driving through Paris, northern Texas, Corey leaned forward, resting his elbows on the front seats. He looked over at his daughter, who had her feet up on the dashboard, and cleared his throat, “How have you been, honey? It’s been awhile.”

“I’ve had the best time of my life. I love living here,” she shifted positions, which caused her slightly rounded belly to stand out amongst the rest of her body. Because her parents were with her, she could finally talk with her father about her situation. “Daddy, do home pregnancy tests ever tell the truth?”

“Sometimes, but the only way to be one hundred percent sure is to be tested by a doctor. How do you think your mother and I found out about Roxanne? She thought it was just the flu, and the test she took at home turned out negative. When she didn’t get better we went to the doctor and found out she was pregnant. We were definitely not expecting that,” Corey explained.

Gabriel chuckled, “That would be a ‘whoops’ moment.”

“Exactly, Gabriel,” he reached over to cover Roxanne’s feet, which had slipped out from under her blanket. “Kate? Are you expecting? You’re looking a little round.”

His question startled Kate, and she started to blush a deep red, “Um, we’re not sure. Both tests I’ve taken have read differently.”

“I suggest you get tested as soon as possible,” Corey cleared his throat, thinking of a way to get the answer to his next question without embarrassing her, “How long has it been since you and Gabriel, well, you know… Do you see where I’m going with this?”

“It’s probably been a little over four months since then.”

“Then I’d say there is a very high possibility of you being pregnant.”

The sound of the tires hitting the small cracks in the road had a soothing quality to it as they drove over the border into the hilly landscape of Oklahoma. To the west, the sun was an orange globe, casting a magnificent sunset across the darkening sky. Several car lengths ahead of them, Rob’s silver truck changed lanes, preparing to exit at the nearest off-ramp.

I guess he’s either taking the scenic route, or he’s making a pit-stop, Gabriel followed his father’s lead and pulled off the interstate. Beside him in the passenger seat Kate, was methodically tapping her foot to the beat of the song playing on the radio while lip-syncing every word, “I’m going to take a guess and say you’re bored.”

She looked at him for a moment before replying, “How much farther do we have to go?”

“We’re in Hugo and we have to go to Checotah, so I’d say another two hours tops.”

“Great. I might as well sleep,” she glanced back at her parents and rolled her eyes. “Mom’s staring out the window while Dad’s reading a medical book over birthing. It can’t get any better than this,” after slipping off her shoes, Kate leaned her seat back and shut her eyes. There was no use staring out the windshield at the taillights of cars passing by.

The next time Kate opened her eyes, Gabriel was pulling into a large field surrounded by trees. Up ahead of them she could see the silhouettes of tents set up all over the grounds. They had to be at their camp, but how far were they from the battlefield? From what it looked like, they weren’t the last ones to arrive considering she could see a truck about six cars ahead of them pulling a trailer with a cannon strapped to it.

“We’re here, baby,” Gabriel drove by a row of tents before backing up to an empty space between tents and stopping, “Would you help me set our tent up, and then we can have a look around.”

It didn’t take long for the tents to be staked into the ground and their belongings to be unloaded and put into the tents. After Gabriel parked his truck in the field designated for the re-enactors, he met up with Kate and her parents so they could explore the camps. They walked along Suttlers Row, heading east toward the Union camp until they came to a tent tucked back in the bramble.

“Gabriel, where is the battlefield?” Kate questioned as she looked around at everything.

“We’re walking on it. This field stretches for a mile to the north and across the road, but just a small section here is the battlefield protected by the Government,” he explained, then stepped up to the tent and knocked on the frame. He smiled when a portly man wearing glasses poked his head out to see who needed his service, “Hello, Ole Sawbones. Have you been well?”

“Extremely. And what about you? It looks like you’ve found yourself a wife since the last time I saw you,” the doctor replied when he spotted Kate standing under the tent fly.

When the older man mentioned Kate, it reminded Gabriel that he had forgotten to introduce the others, “I’m sorry. Kate, Corey, Cherrie… This is Trevor. He’s reenacting the doctor during the battles, but the funny thing is, he’s a doctor in real life. So, you two can relate to him,” he motioned toward Kate’s parents.

This is perfect! Maybe he can tell me if I’m pregnant, but I’ll have to come by when Gabriel’s not around, Kate thought to herself as she shook the doctor’s hand, “I’m happy to meet you, Trevor.”

“And the same to you, my dear.”

Long after most of the re-enactors had fallen asleep, the six of them, including Sean and Ava, who had joined them shortly after they returned from the doctor’s tent, were sitting underneath the tent fly chatting. Kate got up after hearing her baby sister crying inside the tent and hurried to care for her. She came back carrying the distressed infant in her arms and sat down next to her husband, who watched them curiously with a bright twinkle in his eyes.

“Aw, is someone mad?” Gabriel leaned over and stroked the baby’s forehead. “May I see her, honey?”

Kate relinquished her sister into her husband’s care, “Good luck. She doesn’t shut up for just anyone.”

As soon as Roxanne was safely in Gabriel’s arms, he started to softly bounce her in an attempt to dry her tears. The longer he held the baby, the more he felt a special bond forming between them. It almost felt a little fatherly, “Hey, sweetie. What are you crying for?” he nuzzled her cheek affectionately, savoring the softness of her skin against his.

Meanwhile, the others were watching the display attentively before Cherrie leaned over toward her daughter and whispered, “He’s going to be wonderful father when you two have a baby. You can just tell.”

“I know. That’s why I’m eager to find out if I’m pregnant,” Kate agreed; she enjoyed watching her husband care for her sister in that it gave her some comfort knowing how he’d behave around a baby of their own. Please, God. Let me give him this child.



© 2015 Sympathy Heart


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Rofl, this was hilarious. Great chapter!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Sympathy Heart

8 Years Ago

good ole family road trips
Crimson Apples

8 Years Ago

There are movie road trips, stressed road trips, and the completely hectic, weird as f**k ones.
Sympathy Heart

8 Years Ago

exactly sweetheart

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

144 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 16, 2015
Last Updated on December 21, 2015

Where Does My Heart Beat Now


Author

Sympathy Heart
Sympathy Heart

OK



About
Hello! If any of you are members over at fanfiction.net, you might have seen some of my works. I have finished my big novel Where Does My Heart Beat Now with the help of my co-author Sakaro Amanda For.. more..

Writing