Where Does My Heart Beat Now- Chapter 17

Where Does My Heart Beat Now- Chapter 17

A Chapter by Sympathy Heart

Chapter 17

Kate and Gabriel strolled through the camp grounds arm in arm. The sound of the ball faded into the distance as they headed east toward the Yankee camp, but at the last minute they turned to go to the battlefield. A dirt path wound its way through the thick trees until it opened up onto the sacred field, which stood silent and desolate as it did after the carnage ended a hundred and fifty years earlier. Nevertheless, it was perfect for a couple who wanted to get away from the world for a while.

“Can you believe we’re actually walking on hallowed ground? Just think, we could be stepping on the same place where someone became the victim of the bullet or possibly even cannon shell,” Gabriel broke the silence as they picked their way over the scrub.

“Those poor men who lost their lives, and all for a stupid cause,” she mused to herself.

“Brother against brother,” he slipped his arm around her waist as they continued to walk over the battlefield.

“Did you know that more people lost their lives in this war than any other? And many of them were Irish. It just goes to show how many people it affected.”

A few minutes later Kate gasped, catching her husband’s attention. When he looked over to see what the matter was, he saw her caressing her belly with a startled look on her face, “Kate, what’s wrong?”

“I-I think I felt the baby move,” her voice changed to show her excitement.

Gabriel started to lay his hand on her stomach, only he stopped, unsure if she’d be comfortable with him touching her, “May I?”

“Of course, honey. This is your baby, too.”

He moved closer to her, lightly placing his hand on her belly. It wasn’t long before his face lit up with joy after feeling a small bump against his palm. Now he was sure he was going to be a father in a few, short months, “Did you feel that?”

“Yes,” a warm smile spread across her face. “It feels like little flutters.”

Gabriel looked up from where his hand lay after seeing her place her own over his, “I knew there was a reason for your belly getting bigger… and rounder,” he stared into her pale eyes before tenderly kissing her lips, imagining what their lives would be like once their baby arrived. No matter how many times the baby cries I’m going to be there to help my wife. “You look so beautiful, honey. I’m always surprised by what you’re going to look like. I love this look, it’s so extravagant. It’s almost killing me.”

“Gabriel, I’m just trying to fit in with everyone else,” she commented.

He chuckled after hearing her comment, “I think you’ve surpassed that. The only women who could’ve afforded a dress like that would have been married to a wealthy plantation owner.”

“Well, apparently that’s not a problem for us. Plus, I hope you know that I was the one who bought this dress.”

“Honey, it doesn’t matter how much it cost or who bought it. If you’re happy, I’m happy.”

A noise from behind caught them by surprise, making Kate jump. The dark form of Sean loomed a few yards away until he stepped into the moonlight and swiftly strode over to his friend. He looked as if he had had one too many dances, but maybe it was just the way he was standing, “And what are you two doing? Sneaking off to go make out on the other side of that hill? Very classy,” Sean cleared his throat, shifting his weight onto his right leg. “Anyway, I wasn’t the one who tipped them off about you being pregnant. By the way, congratulations!”

“Oh, we don’t mind if they know,” Gabriel replied.

“Well, I just wanted to make sure,” he sighed. “So, what are you two doing?”

“Feeling the baby move,” Gabriel gently ran his hand over his wife’s belly, pulling back in surprise. “Now it’s kicking!” He turned to Kate, who watched him curiously with a wry grin on her face. “Doesn’t that hurt you?”

She placed her hands on her hips before replying, “No. It’s comforting. It feels like I’m getting a massage.”

“Okay. I’ll have to take your word for it.”

Later on during the night, the three of them were walking through the camps, aware of the Union cavalrymen staring at them, especially Gabriel, but they dismissed them and moved on through the camp with Gabriel in front of Kate as if he was trying to protect her. A few times they received rude comments from a Union officer, but some of the men gave words of congratulations and wanted to meet Kate. One young infantryman offered words of advice on parenting for the soon-to-be parents.

“Why is everyone so interested in us having a baby? I’m just pregnant, it’s not like I’m having a whale,” Kate said with her hand resting on her belly.

Gabriel sighed, “It’s because this is our first baby… and ever since Susan and the baby died they’ve been wondering when I’d have another baby, well, not me personally, but you get what I’m meaning. They think I might have committed suicide.”

“You’re crazy enough to do something like that,” Sean joked, and ducked to keep from getting hit by Gabriel’s hand.

Kate listened intently to her husband’s explanation, thinking about how much their lives would change once the baby arrived, but then other questions filled her head, Where is the baby going to sleep? Who’s going to get up with it at night? What are we going to do about reenactments? “Basically they’re happy I’m pregnant for your sake?”

“Yes… and others just think you’re a w***e.”

“What?!”

“Just kidding,” he laughed, wrapping his arm around her. “But they are relieved you’re pregnant.”

Sean trotted along beside Gabriel and Kate while they made their way to the suttlery since they were still open, “How long until you pop the little sucker out, Kate? You’re looking pretty big as we speak, but then again, I do recall Susan resembling a balloon with arms and legs,” he turned to face his best friend. “Gabriel, what is it with you and getting your wives pregnant with giant kids? Are you that great of a lover?”

“What can I say? The bigger, the better,” Gabriel smirked.

“Boy, isn’t that the truth? Or in other terms… you’re a man-w***e!”

“I guess I just have a thing for sexy women,” he leaned over and kissed Kate’s cheek.

“Don’t we all.”

Most of the 1st Texas Cavalry was sitting around their campfire by the time the three of them arrived, feeling relaxed. Apparently they had started making dinner for everyone before it was time to tell stories and jokes. Kate disappeared into the tent to change, and returned five minutes later to find Gabriel sitting backwards in a chair with his chin resting on his hands; he hadn’t even bothered to change.

“Aren’t you going to change, honey?” She questioned.

Gabriel leaned back, unbuttoning his jacket, and pulled it off before tossing it into the tent. Afterwards, the suspenders and shirt suffered the same fate. The upside of his undressing in front of everyone revealed his perfect upper body to the fullest, “Better?”

“Oh, yeah!”

All of them turned to see Cherrie staring, her mouth agape. The unexpected act must have struck her fancy, for she kept a watchful eye on Gabriel as if he’d remove the rest of his clothing next. Eventually, a smile crept across her face at the sight of her daughter cuddling up to his body and resting her head on his shoulder. She was happy to see her with the man she loved, and hoped they’d have a wonderful family of their own.

“Gabriel, what are you hoping your baby is?” Cherrie questioned.

His face brightened upon hearing her question, “A girl,” he wrapped an arm around Kate’s shoulders, pulling her closer. “I’ve always wanted a baby girl, but even more so after I lost my first one before she was born… including my wife. That’s why I’m praying Kate’s pregnant with a girl.”

Kate’s parents appeared shocked from hearing about Gabriel’s tragedy, and how lucky it was for him to have found their daughter. If anything, they hoped the pregnancy would go over well and they’d end up with a healthy baby.

“My gosh, Gabriel. No wonder you’re determined to have a little one. I can’t even imagine what you went through,” Corey commented while leaning back in his chair. “How did you handle it?”

“It wasn’t easy. I almost didn’t make it,” he laid his cheek against Kate’s, taking in the warmth emanating from her. His hand drifted down her side to rest lightly on her belly, where he thought he felt tiny movements against his palm. It brought a relaxed sensation over his entire body, and he leaned closer to her and whispered, “The baby’s moving.”

Kate instinctively brought her hand down, covering his, and gently squeezed it. She could faintly feel flutters around her belly, bringing a smile to her face, “I wonder if the baby can hear us talking?”

“Maybe,” an idea entered his mind. “Hey, I want to test something. Eat something really sweet.”

Without questioning him, Kate opened the Snickers she had hidden in her bra, grimacing at how flat it had gotten, and took a large bite. After swallowing, she waited to see what would happen. It wasn’t long before she found out; a sharp kick to her lower belly caused her to wrench away, “Dang!”

Sean started laughing, “Looks like you’ve got a kicker, Kate. I wouldn’t be eating too many sweets if I were you.”

“Well, now Gabriel knows what will happen,” she rubbed her belly as if to rub away the pain. This is going to be a feisty little one. I’ll have lay off the sweets until after it’s born. The little flutters continued for a few more minutes until they diminished and she was able to relax.

Gabriel tenderly placed his hand on her head as she lay against him, burying her face in his chest. The sound of his heartbeat had a calming effect on her, and it wasn’t long before she was sound asleep, curled up on his lap with his arms wrapped around her.

“She’s asleep,” he whispered so as not to wake her. “Do you think I should go and lay her down on the cot?”

“Poor baby. Yes, she needs to rest,” Mae commented after seeing the slumbering woman.

Well, she does need to get all the rest she can, he thought while walking toward their tent with Kate nestled in his arms. He pulled back the tent flap before stepping into the canvas structure and carefully laying his wife on her cot, trying not to wake her as he covered her with a wool blanket.

“Gabriel? What are you doing?” Kate whispered as she sat up.

He turned back around, a small smile peeking out from the corners of his mouth, “Shh… Go back to sleep, honey. You need to get some rest so you’ll have plenty of strength to carry the baby.”

When he mentioned their baby, Kate’s hand drifted down to her belly, where it rested on the underneath side, “I’m fine. You don’t need to worry about me.”

“It’s my job to keep you well. That and you’re in a delicate condition,” Gabriel leaned over and tenderly kissed her lips. “Now close your eyes.”

“Stay with me, Gabriel. It’s cold in here, and I want you to keep me warm,” she pleaded, her pale eyes resembling those of a puppy.

He watched her intently, considering her plea. She did look cold, so why not take a break and spend time with his wife? It wasn’t like he was going to do anything, anyway. Besides, would be precious time with her, “Alright, honey,” the temptation was too great for him to refuse, and he wanted Kate to be happy. After closing and tying up the tent flaps, Gabriel pulled back the blanket and slid in next to her. Thankfully there was enough room for them on the cot, but only if they were right against one another.

Kate snuggled closely, burying her face in his chest. It wasn’t long before she felt Gabriel lay his hand on her belly, “What are you doing, Gabe? The baby’s not moving right now.”

“I know. It’s just comforting to feel the results of our love,” Gabriel kissed her lips lovingly, thinking about the night their baby had been conceived; his mother had been right just as she always was. That night had been absolutely wonderful in that he learned more about his wife than he had before. “Tell me, honey, what does it feel like to be pregnant?”

She was surprised by his question, but wanted to share the experience with him. Her first pregnancy was something for both of them to experience, and she wanted him to be involved in every way possible even though he wasn’t the one carrying their baby, “Well, once you know that you’re pregnant your whole attitude changes, and you become more protective. I already feel like a mother even though I just found out. You have no idea what it’s like being pregnant.”

“No, I don’t. That’s why I’m asking you,” his eyes glistened in the faint light. “What does it physically feel like?”

“Right now, all that I can feel are little flutters moving around my belly. Sometimes they tickle,” she sighed. “But I could do without having to pee every thirty minutes. Oh, if only you could experience this.”

 “I don’t think I could handle the birth,” an image popped into his head, making him cringe. “How do you women stand all of that pain?”

“We know we have to get the baby out, so we suck it up.”

The tent was silent for a few minutes while the two of them lay there, gazing into each other’s eyes. Gabriel moved his hand to the side of her belly and smiled when he felt a small nudge. He closed his eyes, imagining what it would be like once the baby arrived into the world. The next thing he knew, Kate had laid her hand on his chest and wrapped his arm around her.

“I love you, Gabriel,” She whispered.

“I love you, too… with all my heart.”



© 2015 Sympathy Heart


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

lol. My parents would be in hysteria if this happened to me.


Posted 8 Years Ago


Sympathy Heart

8 Years Ago

so are yorkies. Mine was a rescue dog I adopted.
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Crimson Apples

8 Years Ago

lucky =)
I sat in a car for six hours, driving to my puppy's breeder's house. After a flippin.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

127 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 16, 2015
Last Updated on December 21, 2015

Where Does My Heart Beat Now


Author

Sympathy Heart
Sympathy Heart

OK



About
Hello! If any of you are members over at fanfiction.net, you might have seen some of my works. I have finished my big novel Where Does My Heart Beat Now with the help of my co-author Sakaro Amanda For.. more..

Writing