The Lucky Penny

The Lucky Penny

A Story by Vegota

 

 

 

 

The Lucky Penny



 

There lived a small family in a rural house. There was the dad, Thomas. As well as two children. Charlie, and Lisa, and their uncle Patrick.

 

Patrick is on his way home when he sees a peculiar looking shop across the street.

He decides to go to said shop.

He walks inside.

“Why hello sir. Can I interest you in anything today?” the cashier said politely.

“No, I’m just browsing.” He polies curtly.

After walking around for two minutes he spots a penny in a glass box high on a shelf labeled [EXTREMELY VALUABLE]

Patrick looked at the penny with awe wondering why it’s so valuable.

“Hey, Mr.” He said.

“Why is this penny so valuable?” He asked.

“Because it belonged to my father’s uncle’s brother’s girlfriend’s father’s mother’s cousin and it has been giving everyone that’s had it good luck for life and thus been passed down person to person.” He replied.

“If it gives good luck for life why are you selling it?” Patrick asked questing.

“Because I have all the luck I could want in this lifetime.” He responded happily.

“Well how much for it then?” Patrick examined.

“200,000 dollars.” The man replied sighing.

“But everyone always laughs and walks away when I say the price so it’s ok when you do.” He said sadly.

Patrick gasped.

Patrick thinks to himself: Do I want to buy this? It could help the family a lot.

After a few minutes of thinking he finally decided.

“Ok, I’ll take it!” He said excitedly.

“W…. What? Are you sure?” He asked hesitantly.

“Yes, I am.” Patrick says while he gets his credit card.

He pays for the penny and quickly drives home.

When he gets home he greets his family.

“Thomas, you’ll never guess what I got.” Patrick said breathlessly.

“What useless thing did you waste your money on this time, Patrick?” Thomas said rolling his eyes.

“Honestly, you need to use your money for things that we actually need not useless things like the 50 wish bones and clovers you’ve already bought this month.” Thomas said sighing.

“It’s nothing like that this time Thomas.” Patrick assured him.

“I bought a lucky penny.” He said.

“Isn’t that great?” He asked.

Thomas nearly had a heart attack laughing so hard.

“You got… AAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA… I’m sorry, I just can’t believe you were stupid enough to waste how much on this penny?” Thomas said laughing uncontrollably.

“Only 200,000 dollars.” Patrick said smugly.

Thomas kept on laughing until he remembered they shared a bank account and started crying.

“You…. Wasted…. 200,000…. Dollars…. On a penny….” Thomas said holding back tears.

“Yes, I did.” Patrick said enthusiastically.

Thomas drops to the floor crying uncontrollably.

As he lies there sobbing Patrick walks out agitatedly.

“Why is dad on the floor crying?” Lisa and Charlie ask.

“Only lord knows.” Patrick answered bewilderedly.

“Hey what’s that shiny thing in your hand?” Charlie asks.

“Oh this? It’s a penny.” Patrick answered sadly.

“Well I’m tired I’m going to bed.” Patrick said extremely frustrated.

When Patrick woke up the next morning everyone in the house was crying.

“What’s going on?” Patrick asks.

“Charlie died in his sleep.” Lisa said sadly.

“Oh…” Patrick responded sadly.

Patrick looked around.

“Where’s Thomas?” He said questioningly.

“I don’t know he was the one that saw Charlie was dead ever since then I haven’t seen him.” Lisa said pondering.

Patrick’s phone rang.

“Hello?” Patrick answered.

“Yes this is Olivia, Thomas’ boss. I was calling to inform you that Thomas had an accident at work and is unfortunately dead.” Olivia replied over the phone.

“Oh… What sort of tragedy happened that he died?” Patrick asked.

“No one knows what happened we just saw him in his office floor dead and bleeding heavily.” Olivia answered.

Lisa listening next to Patrick starts crying uncontrollably and stops breathing.

Lisa then died in Patrick’s arms.

Patrick looked in his pocket to see the penny still there.

He drove back to the store he got it and went up to the cashier.

“You lied about this penny it doesn’t bring good luck it brings never ending pain and grief. No wonder you didn’t want it. Now take it back!” Patrick screamed.

The cashier startled gets up and sighs.

“To gain true luck you must make sacrifices.” He says and takes the penny and walks away.

Later that morning Patrick goes back home and gets into bed.

“Why… Why did I believe that penny would actually help the family? Why was I such a fool?” Patrick sobbed.

With nothing else to live for Patrick then fell asleep dreaming about how his life would have been if he had never seen that store.

Then he wakes up startled.

There’s a knock at the door.

He gets up and grabs a candle to go answer the door.

He opens the door and gasps dropping the candle.

The End.

© 2016 Vegota


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

113 Views
Added on September 15, 2016
Last Updated on September 15, 2016