Elizabeth's Diary pg. 32, Jan 14, 1997

Elizabeth's Diary pg. 32, Jan 14, 1997

A Chapter by Robin
"

Elizabeth takes a short hike

"
--rushing past. I hid in a bush, and heard staff calling out around me. Their shouting echoed through the forest. I didn't know if it was a trick of my ears but I could hear them all around me. I was so tense, every muscle pulled tight so I couldn't make a sound. I noticed how hard I was breathing, so I tried to breath slower. I kept myself quiet until the only sound came from my own heartbeat in my ears. The shouting was more distant now, farther into the woods. I still couldn't tell which direction though, and I lost track of which way I came from. I was told this place was secluded, and that I wouldn't be able to get far on foot. I think they lied to me, but I'm not really sure anymore.

For the middle of January, I was warm. There was snow on the ground, but if I didn't see it I wouldn't notice. I peaked up from the bush and looked around me. The shouting was very distant. No one was around. I picked up my bag and ran further the way I thought I'd came. I tried to pace myself, checked my breathing and my footing. Then I realized the shouting was gone. I stopped dead, and crouched down low. Then the shouting started back again.

I could finally tell where it was coming from, and they were much louder now. I looked around me to see where I could hide, but I had reached a clearing and the only thing I could think to do was to climb a tree. I tried climbing, and the first branch I grabbed snapped before I even got up to it. I ran to another tree, this one too wouldn't support my weight. The shouting was louder, they must have heard me. I panicked and tried to run halfway up a tree, but fell back down into the snow. I hit my tailbone hard, and when I got up I realized that this entire time I'd been leaving a trail in the snow behind me.

I heard the men approaching even closer, so I just ran. I didn't care about the noise I was making, I pushed through brush, and twigs slashed at my face. The warmth I was feeling turned into a terrible burning. Everything was burning. The more I ran, the more the snow climbed up my legs, until I couldn't run anymore. I was now trudging through snow up to my knees, and I couldn't move any faster. I had made some distance between me and the men, but they were behind me, and were tracking my footprints. I kept going. Snow was falling all around me but everything was on fire. I felt nothing but smoldering flames encompassing me, nothing but fire. Smoke swirled all around and filled my vision. Then nothing.

I woke up in my cot, sore over my entire body. My groaning got the attention of a nurse, who closed my door. Tears swelled in my eyes and I sobbed until--


© 2022 Robin


Author's Note

Robin
30 minute writing sprint

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

36 Views
Added on April 24, 2022
Last Updated on April 25, 2022
Tags: horror, psycological, forest, diary


Author

Robin
Robin

IL



Writing
The Follower The Follower

A Story by Robin