Everything is Just Perfect

Everything is Just Perfect

A Story by YoursTruleyEmma
"

just a short story. thanks emily.

"

It was a perfect December, Sunday. My hair was perfectly dyed blond with that perfect soft wave. My nails in a french tip. I bought myself a new classic black Chanel mini dress, complete with nude  pumps. I’m cooking for the party tonight; Oven roasted chicken with rosemary and lemon accent. Mashed potatoes with a salad, and white wine to finish it off. A dark chocolate truffle cake, and champagne will end the night. My husband, Bradley, will be so excited. Everything will be just perfect.
I walked through the door of our beautiful, uptown, two story,  Manhattan apartment. “Brad, I’m home! Honey, It’s almost three, we need to get ready for the dinner party at six o’clock.” I said.
          “Just... juss calm’down, Cynthia, we’ave three freakin’ hours.” He was sitting on the couch watching the football game on our new flat screen TV. He had a beer in his hand. Four others were resting on the table.
         “I told you not to drink until guests arrived, now go upstairs and get ready for our party. I want tonight to be perfect.”
         “Cynthia, stop your bitchin’, infact why’don you go upstairs, and I’ll meet you there inna couple a’minutes... Go pu’tton sompthin’ nice.” I was bit shocked at the comment. But boys will be boys, right?

“Oh Brad! Don’t use such words. Now come and get ready, I’m serious. And please don’t speak to me like that.” I spoke carefully.

“Ya’know Cynnabon, you’re right. Here, I got you som’jewelry. I wanted to a... apol... srryy, apolgize furr Friday. ” He got up slowly, and a tad wobbly, to grab a blue box off the corner of the table. It read “Tiffany & Co.”.  He handed it to me and waited for my response. It was the most precious diamond and white gold necklace I had ever seen, worthy of a princess.

“S’can you forgive me Cynnabon?” He asked. His gorgeous blue eyes stared up at me.

“What’s to forgive, my love? It’s beautiful, I will wear it tonight.” I kissed him, he tasted of hard liquor and beer. I began to start dinner. He would be sober by the time everyone came over. Besides, big business CEO’s need to have a little break here and there. All will be perfect.

After the mashed potatoes were done, chicken in the oven, and everything else in the refrigerator, I went upstairs to get ready, and even persuaded Bradley to go too, he’s a stubborn one he is. I took a long hot shower, to scrub off the grime of the day. After Bradley took his shower I helped him into his perfectly pressed casual suit. He looked perfect, and he proceeded to make his way downstairs.

I slipped into my black mini dress and proceeded to do my makeup. No imperfections. My hair was last to be done. A loose curly up-do, then I slipped on my pumps. Now I looked ready to host. Bradley and I looked like the picture perfect couple.

The dinner table was set. Nothing was out of place. Now to wait. “Bradley, honey, are you ready?” I asked

“Who are these people again?” He asked from the computer

“She’s a college friend of mine, her name is Bridgett. She’s only here for the week with her husband, so make a good impression.”

“Okay, Cynthia, whatever you say.”

“I’ll be right back.” I said in a nonchalant tone.

“I’ll be here” he replied. I made my way upstairs to put on my necklace. I opened my jewelry stand when my bottle of Vicodin dropped out. It was absolutely necessary after my knee surgery. I was startled and I quickly put it away, along with the thought of the bottle. I put on my necklace just as the doorbell rang.

“Brad, can you get the door please!”

“Uhh, yeah,” I hear greetings from below, and I make my way gracefully down the staircase.

“Bridgett! You look fantastic! How are you!?” I said with a big, bright smile.

“Cynthia! You haven't aged a year since college! You look great!” And dinner took off from there. We talked about our golden years of college, and the men went off by themselves to watch the game. Finally we sat down for dinner, I hadn’t eaten all day to fit in my dress. I had to look perfect.

“Cynnabon pass d’potatoes.” he slurred.

“Bradley, my love, you look tired maybe you should go upstairs and rest, yes?” I said this as calm as I could, no reason in raising my voice.

“Nonononono, Cynthia. M’fine. And I said pass d’potatoes.” He was getting angry. I change the subject.

“ So Louie, yes? What did you specialize in?”

“Actually, I’m working all around the country as a plastic surgeon, fixi-”

“Cynthia... I’said, pass th’POTATOES!”

“Okay, Bradley you need to calm-”

“Maybe we should leave, it’s getting late” The couple started to get up in a rush.

“No please, stay! Brad, please g-”

“NO! Y’NEED TO WAKE’P FRUM YURR G-D’AMNED PURFECT LIFE YA DRAGGED ME’INUH!” He started to walk over to me, tears were streaking my face, the night is turning out to be a disaster. Bridgett came to grab my hand, and started to pull me away.

“Honey, Pl-!”

I didn’t finish the sentence. I felt a sting on my left cheek. The burn filled my entire face, and a shock shot down every cell. Bridgett tried to hold me up but she was too skinny to hold me... I  need to lose weight. I didn’t feel it, but I fell to our perfectly polished wood floor.

In the chaos I remember Bridget running and Louis trying to help me, but Brad became even more protective. After the scene Brad wandered out of sight.I eventually fell asleep, thinking of how I could have been better.

I woke up the next day on the couch, and a blanket over me. I was still fully clothed and my pumps off. The dishes weren’t done, the house was a mess, and my face felt like it had been hit by a train. I needed to get to work, but, Bradley came downstairs to apologize. He is such a sweetheart, “Honey those people were bad from the beginning, I could tell, that’s why I did what I did and said what I said. You know I don’t mean it right? I felt so bad about last night, I got you a ring” This time he brought out a black box, not any brand I knew of. It was the silver ring that belonged to me since the first grade. My father had given it to me from his trip to Hawaii, but I grew out of it over time. Now it was polished and if fit perfectly on my thumb.

“Oh Brad! You are the most amazing man I know, this is just perfect!” I kissed him on the cheek.

“I’m so sorry babe. Can you forgive me?”

“How could I not, my love? I’m going to get myself some orange juice, you want some?”

“Sure, Cynnabon, I’m gonna watch some T.V. And that was the last time I promise” He smiled that perfect smile and gave me one more kiss. How could I not forgive him? It’s not like he did anything wrong, and he must have put me on the couch. Besides, he didn’t mean what he said, and this will be the last time. He promised me.  

I got the orange juice out, and poured him a glass, but for me I made a mimosa. No use in wasting great champagne. We sat on the couch he ate the rest of the cake and we watched Comedy Central and laughed the morning away. Our morning turned out perfect.

At twelve, Brad got out the Captain Morgan. It’s okay though, he’s just having a break, and he’s a sweet guy. And although we may have our differences we still love each other. We are perfect together.

I took a shower and he watched T.V. I needed to put my necklace away and put my ring on, so I went over to my jewelry cabinet. I slipped on my ring, it fit perfectly. I opened the door and put my necklace away. But just as I was about to close and lock my cabinet, the bottle Vicodin dropped out again.

I should really put this away somewhere, but I didn’t sleep well last night and my face did hurt, so what’s a couple pills? I needed it, so I could  be my best for Bradley and it would make me feel better. I still had a little bit of mimosa. I drank down three pills, one more than the recommended dose won’t hurt the least bit.

I started to feel tired, so I went to our bed pulled down the curtains and started watch Saturday Night Live. I felt my body go numb, my eyelids became heavy, and the skits from SNL were eventually faded out.  Everything felt  just


Perfect.


© 2012 YoursTruleyEmma


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Honestly, just being blunt, The first paragraph made me hungry. As I read on I felt embarrassed to have taken my focus there. This is really sad, but is way to prevalent. Both of these people need help, otherwise things will surely end bad. It's so funny how me think material possessions can heal emotional and physical pain. This really sounds like a codependent relationship. Thank you for sharing. Great Piece.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

181 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 23, 2012
Last Updated on August 23, 2012

Author

YoursTruleyEmma
YoursTruleyEmma

n/a, CA



About
Hello! I am Emma. I love to write, read, go on adventures, make art, look at art, camp, i like astrology, cooking, meeting new people, and learning. I always look at things with an open mind. I write .. more..

Writing
Anna Anna

A Story by YoursTruleyEmma