Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by Keevan

"Edward, could you go get Asher?" I asked Edward as I finished dinner. Without a word he started up the stairs to get him.

     Dexter yawned, laying by my feet, hoping I would drop something.

     "You don't need any more food," I said to him. "you're fat enough already." His ears perked up and he looked up at me, his eyes shining. I grinned and picked up the pot that the stew was in, pouring it into a big bowl. I then set the now empty pot in the sink and dug through drawers until I found the ladle to scoop out stew into three bowls.

     Asher made it down the stairs before Edward and climbed into the chair he always sat in.

     "Hungry?" I asked him, bringing over his favorite bowl and spoon. It was blue with green dots on it. His spoon was matching.

     "Yeah!" he said happily. Edward just reached the bottom of the stairs and asked, "Is there anything I can help with or set out?"

     "Um," I said, trying to think of something. "could you pour Asher and I some milk? And I could make some tea for you."

     "I'll just have water," Edward said quietly. As I used the ladle to put stew in Asher's bowl, he said, "Is this good, mommy?"

     "I hope so," I replied. "I don't remember the last time I made this."

     "I hope it's good," he said, picking up his spoon. I heard the sounds of the refrigerator opening and figured Edward was getting Asher his milk.
    There were suddenly a few knocks on the door.
    "Come in!" I called, ladling some stew into a bowl for Edward. The door opened, and Edward's brother, Alphonse, walked in.
    "Hey, Al," I said.
    "Hi, Uncle Al," Asher said, glancing at him and then back at his bowl. He was polite enough to wait until everyone was sitting to start eating.
    "Hey, kiddo," Alphonse said, looking at Asher. He then noticed Edward, who was closing the fridge with Asher's glass of milk in his hand.
    "B-Brother?" he said, as if he wasn't sure it was Edward. Edward casually turned to face his brother, the glass of milk now on the counter, and he said, "Hey, Alphonse."
    I looked from Edward to Alphonse, a nervous knot tightening in my stomach. I set down the big bowl of stew and the ladle. "Asher," I said, feeling the awkwardness in the room from the two brothers. "why don't we go outside with Dexter for a few minutes."
    "But..." Asher said, staring at the bowl of stew in front of him.
    "It will still be here when we get back," I said. "Let's let Uncle Alphonse and-and daddy catch up on what they've been doing while they've been away." I said anything that popped into my mind. I figured there was no point in hiding the fact that Edward was his father when he knew already.
    "Okay," Asher said, sighing. He set down his spoon neatly next to his bowl. Dexter, who was sniffing around Alphonse's feet, walked outside through the still open door behind Alphonse. He moved over a little when Asher got out of his chair, and followed Dexter outside.
    "Please, stay calm and no yelling or fighting," I said, going over to the door. "That goes to both of you, I mean it." I walked outside and closed the door behind me.

_____________________________________________________________________________


Edward


"You're back," Alphonse said, still staring at me from across the room.
    "Yep," I said, picking up Asher's milk and setting it by his bowl on the table.
    "When did you get back?"
    "Today," I replied.
    "Just...randomly?"
    "Well..." I began. "I just wanted to see my family."
    "Were you planning on telling me you were back?" Alphonse asked, now sounding annoyed.
     "Of course," I told him. "I just...wanted to get settled in first."
     "Are you going to stay permanently?" he asked.
    "I...I don't know, Al." And I really didn't. "I'm staying for as long as I can."
    "Why did you leave in the first place?" he asked, shoving his hands in his coat pockets. "Five years, Brother."
    "I know, five years," I said, sighing and leaning against the table. "I left because of Envy."
    "Impossible," Alphonse said. "Lucy killed him, we both saw."
    "He's alive now, Al," I said, trying to sound calm. "Five years ago, Envy came to our door and threatened to kill Asher and Lucy. Then, he challenged me to go after him, find him and kill him. I...I couldn't back down from that challenge.
    "And in order not to worry you or make you come after me when I left," I continued. "Lucy lied to you about my whereabouts. I'm sorry, Alphonse."
    "Brother," he said loudly. "I could have helped you!"
    "Don't yell, I don't want Asher hearing," I said, leaning back against the counter. "Everything happened so fast that day, and the only thought that was clear in my head was that I had to protect my family. I'm sorry, Al."
    "Alright..." Alphonse finally said. "I forgive you. But, is Envy dead now?"
    "No," I said quietly, not wanting to admit it. "I never found him, but I got close a few times. Envy was leaving trails for me to follow, and they disappeared once I thought I had finally caught him. Last year, he led me to Dublith. The year before that, almost to Briggs. He kept leading me on a wild goose chase."
    "Why did you come back if Envy's still out there?" Alphonse asked, taking a few steps towards me. "You could have led Envy all the way back here!"
    "I know, I know," I said, trying to calm him down. "I considered that. I figured Envy wouldn't. I forgot the reason I told myself, but there was a reason I figured Envy wouldn't follow. I told you already, Al, I wanted to see my family. Five years away from them was unforgivable and I don't want to miss anymore of my son's life. Lucy really needs a break."
    "Are you sure you can stay for long?" Alphonse asked.
    "I'm just going to have to trust my gut," I said. "and that's that."

_____________________________________________________________________________

Lucy


I closed the door behind me and proceeded to sit on the steps. Asher was sitting on the bottom of the three steps next to Dexter.
    "Why don't you and Dexter have a race?" I suggested, putting my hand on Asher's shoulder. He turned and looked up at me. "Are they going to fight?"
    "Maybe," I said, unable to think of anything else to say. "but I know they'll keep it under control." I heard Al raise his voice a bit.
    "Go have fun and run around," I said, taking my hand back. "I'm sure they'll be in there a while."
    "Mommy," Asher said. "why is daddy's hand made of metal?"
    My heart leaped. He called Edward his daddy. I also didn't expect him to ask that question. I had become so used to Edward's arm being made of AutoMail, I had completely forgotten about it.
    "Um, well," I began, not exactly sure how to word it. "his whole arm is made of AutoMail."
    "That's what Winry makes, right?" he asked.
    "Yes," I said. "Winry made daddy's arm. She's been making limbs for him ever since he was eleven or twelve."
    "That's really cool," Asher said, smiling.
    "His left leg is AutoMail, too," I said.
    "How did he get like that?" Asher asked, turning back around and looking at his hands. Dexter's ears perked up because he noticed a squirrel running by.
    "Daddy and Uncle Al had an....accident, when they were kids," I said, still not sure how to tell him this.

     "What kind of accident?" he asked, looking up from his hands to the horizon.

     "You can ask daddy later," I said. "How about after dinner?"

     "Fine," he said. He didn't say anything for a few moments, and then he asked, "Mommy, why was daddy gone this whole time?"

     "There was...something he had to take care of, honey," I told him, not wanting to answer that question. "You don't need to worry about it."

     "Is he going to go away again?" he asked, looking up at me with a puppy dog look.

     "M-Maybe," I replied quietly, fidgeting with my hands. "I'm sorry, Asher." Dexter looked up at me and whined a little. He was hungry. He always ate at this time of day and hadn't finished his food yet.

     The front door opened behind me. I looked behind myself and saw Alphonse and Edward walk out.

     "I have to go," Alphonse said. "got business to take care of."

     "O-okay, Al," I said, watching him walk down the steps. Dexter sniffed him when he walked by.

     "By, uncle Al," Asher said, standing up. He then turned and ran inside, probably hoping his food was still warm. Dexter followed him, wagging him tail. I sighed and watched Alphonse walk away.

     "You okay?" Edward asked, sitting next to me on the steps.

     "I don't know," I replied softly. "Everything happened so fast today, I..." I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes. "There is so much we have to explain to him as he grows up. He asked me...about your arm. I didn't know what to tell him..." My voice cracked. "He asked...why you were gone this whole time..." I covered my face with my hands, trying not to lose it. Edward wrapped an arm around me and shushed me.

     "When the time comes, we'll worry about explaining all of that to him," he said quietly, resting his cheek on my head. "All that matters is that we're a family again. We can have dinner together, and play together, and just be...together."

     That made me lose it. I sobbed quietly, hoping Asher wouldn't hear. Until I felt a small hand on my head. I raised my head and looked at Asher.

     "Don't cry, mommy," he said. I pulled him onto my lap and hugged him as Edward hugged me.

     "We're finally a family again," I whispered. "and it only took five years."



© 2012 Keevan


Author's Note

Keevan
After many months, it is finally done.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

BUT I
MY HEART....MY ANCIENT FANFICTION FEELINGS ARE RETURNING..........IM GONNA CRY
I MISSED LUCY AND ASHER AND EDWARD AND ASFBHJSCGADA
im so happy to have them back theyre so wonderful and perfect
I'm gonna draw Lucy okay
yeah right now
keep writing woWOOW THIS WAS GOOD

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

69 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 9, 2011
Last Updated on June 22, 2012


Author

Keevan
Keevan

MN



About
This account is active from time to time, but not much. If you send me a message or friend invite, odds are I won't respond. Since I"m in college, I'll be here from time to time but there are abso.. more..

Writing
Experiment 909 Experiment 909

A Story by Keevan


I I

A Chapter by Keevan