A Shattered Dream

A Shattered Dream

A Chapter by Jessica
"

The seventh chapter in A Day Dream.

"

Dakota and I immediately had to go our separate ways, he to B hall, and I to the portables outside. I walked slowly, and once outside, said hi to Emily and Jeff as they made their way to the double doors leading back into the building. I wanted to tell them both, but I didn’t have nearly enough time to explain it, and something about it would just seem too weird. I can always tell them later. I thought, approaching my math class. My teacher wasn’t there; a substitute was in her place, a welcomed surprise. I liked my teacher, she was nice and fun . . . but with a sub, the work load was much lighter.

 

I took the desk closest to the door. I liked the breeze, I could see the board, and I wasn’t in the direct site of the teacher. I looked up at the board, a smile crossing my face. WKST PG 45 and 67. That was all that was written, meaning that was our homework and class work. I smiled again. I could easily finish that during the class and have no homework, or I could finish it at home and do what ever during this class, a perfect situation. I pulled my iPod from my bag and once again Helena filled my thoughts.

 

As I looked over the two worksheets I realized that they were both review. Problem one, the answer was simple, twenty-two. I answered each question just as easily, first reading then filling in the answer a few seconds later, or so I thought. I had subconsciously been restarting Helena over and over, each time it ended. When both worksheets were done, I looked at the clock and realized how long it had actually taken me. Why couldn’t the rest of my Dakota-free day have gone by so fast? I repacked my bag and stood, the bell ringing just as I did so.

 

I exited the class room the way I did everyday, walking slowly. With my iPod still blasting, I stayed in my own world, oblivious to everything around me. I passed Courtney in the hall, smiling as I always did. And as always I reached the classroom with about four minutes to spare, taking my usual seat. My eyes had neglected to notice someone sitting in the back of the room, motioning for me to come over, and because of my iPod I didn’t hear the same person call my name.

 

While watching the door, I grabbed two books and took my seat again. Where is Ashley? I asked myself, noticing that almost everyone else was in the classroom. I was concentrating so much on why my friend wouldn’t be here, when a hand touched my shoulder I spun around, hitting someone. “Oh my gosh, Dakota, I’m sorry.” He just laughed, taking Ashley’s seat beside me. “That’s the second time today you have hit me.” “Well, in my defense, it always seems like you are sneaking up on me.” He smiled, and I mirrored him.  “Well I was calling your name, and I did wave for you to come over.” He informed me. A look of confusion swept over my face. “You did? Oh, well, sorry. I was looking for my friend Ashley, but she hasn’t shown up. I didn’t even remember you were in this class, with you schedule change I assumed I had seen the last of you.” He frowned, in great contrast to the smile of his that I loved. “I showed you my schedule and even told you what classes I had with you.” He told me, before becoming quiet.

 

Ms. Lewis soon entered the room, welcomed us back, and turned on the television. “This is just a short video reviewing some of the material we learned last semester.” She informed us. “After it is done we are going to get to do something fun, so pay attention, the information will help you.”

 

Ms. Lewis continued to speak, and I began to tune her out. After about five minutes the classroom door opened, and a teacher I didn’t know walked in. He walked over to Ms. Lewis, and spoke in a whisper, my teacher’s face showed no real interest in what he was saying, probably something about our school free day tomorrow. It was then that I turned back to Dakota. I looked at him, and this time I knew I did something wrong, just not what that something was. “Dakota?” I questioned. He simply stared at the front board, blank faced. 

 

My breathing came quicker. What did I do? I thought to myself. Each possibility that came to mind made no sense after only a few seconds of consideration. “. . . with the person next to you.” The teacher informed us. What? While thinking I had tuned out everything, the other teacher leaving, and even the short movie, this was becoming ridiculous. I turned to look at Dakota once more, and one again he surprised me. As I turned I noticed that his chair was turned completely towards me, and he faced me, still blank faced. “What?” I asked him, annoyance showing through in my tone. Why was he acting like this? “We are supposed to work with the person beside us.” He told me simply, with no emotion, “Weren’t you listening?” This time his tone was as mine had been, full of annoyance. I I wasn’t one hundred percent sure that this was real, I would have thought it to be a nightmare. Why did this happen? How did this happen? I had even considered that he might have liked me, but now . . . What had I said? “I had zoned out.” I told him, after taking my long pause. “I was thinking.” There was no way I was going to tell use the word dreaming around him anymore.

 



© 2016 Jessica


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

167 Views
Added on September 11, 2008
Last Updated on February 18, 2016


Author

Jessica
Jessica

Atlanta, GA



About
I am a random person, and I sometimes keep to myself. I try to be more outgoing, but I can't seem to unless I am with my close friends. I do, however, become the most out going person you could ever m.. more..

Writing
Das Verdammte Das Verdammte

A Story by Jessica


A Day Dream A Day Dream

A Book by Jessica