Chapter 7

Chapter 7

A Chapter by Addi

Kerry and Sebastian grasped hands and walked. Steady, sure-footed and determined like they had never been before. But they were only a few steps in when Sebastian noticed something strange. He halted mid-step, and Kerry kept going for a little bit before she realised he wasn’t beside her.

“Sebastian? What is it?” she called.

“Kerry, do you feel like it’s getting… brighter?” said Sebastian. Because it was. And not just from one little point in the distance, like the phoenix, but across the whole forest. He could see miles ahead and miles behind in the pure, sunny daylight of the morning. Judging from the position of the sun, they had been walking around the forest for about an hour or two.

“No.” But Sebastian didn’t need Kerry’s reply, for as he watched, she fumbled around blindly until she got to him, which seemed very odd behaviour, until it dawned on him. A hand automatically reached up to touch his eyes, where they had been brushed by the phoenix’s feather.

“I can see! Actually see! Without the phoenix here! The illusion’s broken! I can see!” shouted Sebastian, the tree birds chirping loudly in response.

“You’re not joking? You really can see?” asked Kerry in disbelief. Sebastian nodded, before realising she couldn’t see him.

“Yes, I really can, and we’re going to get out of here. Right now,” he decided. In fact, as he looked up ahead, he could pick out the edge of the forest maybe ten minutes walk away. “We’re so close, Kerry!” He extended a hand to her, and she caught it.

 

Sebastian guided his friend through the darkness occasionally screaming, “Watch out for the tangle vine!” or “That magpie’s about to bite your head off!” It was pretty slow progress, but Sebastian hadn’t felt this hopeful all day. He thought he might actually make it out of there, alive and possibly not in last place. Finally, they were so near the forest edge that he could make out the outlines of fellow competitors, waiting impatiently for them to finish.

“Ok, Kerry, its right here,” he said. “Straight ahead. What say we cross at the same time?”

“And you’re sure there’s nothing blocking my way? No snakes or tangle vine?”

“No, there’s nothing. On the count of three, then? One… two…” But Sebastian’s voice faded away, because Kerry was already off, sprinting towards the open. She got there in a matter of seconds. Sebastian was frozen to the spot for who knows how long, before reason came back to him and he jogged out of the trees after his best friend.

 

Octavia ran at Sebastian and gave him a hug so tight he couldn’t breathe. Ed gave him an enthusiastic pat on the back. Abigail reached up on tiptoe and kissed him on the cheek, surprising everyone. Since he had unintentionally offended her when they first came to the castle and she tried to wake him up, he had not been Abigail’s… favourite person. But she was smiling as she turned away. The rest of them cheered him and handed out feeble congratulations. But Kerry stood towards the back of the crowd and he couldn’t catch her eye. What had happened back there? He couldn’t figure it out.

“So, am I last?” Sebastian asked Octavia. Her round, sunny face split into a comforting smile. Her bright blue eyes were happy. Sebastian took these as good signs.

“No,” answered Octavia, hugging him again. “We’re still waiting on Patrick and Prince Gregory. Congrats, kiddo. You made it!”

“Alright then. Thanks.” Sebastian stepped around her, making a beeline for Kerry.

“Look, Sebastian, I know what you’re thinking,” Kerry began, as soon as they locked eyes, “but I just… wanted to get out of the darkness. I needed to see light again! I couldn’t wait. Ok, fine, that’s a lie. I didn’t want to lose. I mean, Lea’s so sick and I’m away from her only for the sake of the Battle, so I wanted to prove that it’s worth something. That I didn’t leave her for nothing. And to prove that, I can’t be eliminated first round! I’m so sorry, I didn’t want you to be last either, but what choice was there? Anyway, you’re not last so please, please, please don’t be angry with me!”

“I’m not angry, Kerry,” said Sebastian calmly.

“Well I know you… wait, what? You’re not… you’re not angry?” stuttered Kerry, looking at him with wide eyes.

“No,” Sebastian grinned. He pulled her into a friendly, one-armed embrace. “I’m just glad I’m still in and I wanted to share that with my best friend.”

“Thank you,” Kerry said, her voice muffled by his shoulder. “For helping me in there, and for forgiving me.”

“You helped me in there too, Kerry. I would’ve given up without you, so I owe you my forgiveness. What you did isn’t that big a deal. I mean, we’re both still here, aren’t we?”   

 

About fifteen minutes later, Gregory emerged from the forest, his arms covered in scratches and cuts and his thick ash blonde hair crawling with dirt and bugs. Sebastian watched with mild amusement as he stumbled forward, still adjusting to the light, and Kerry moved in to catch him. Quickly, he shrugged her off and walked away, putting as much distance as possible between himself and Kerry. Gregory leaned over towards Marcus.

“Did I make it?” he asked.

“Yeah,” replied Marcus shortly. Gregory nodded and let the trace of a smile form on his lips. Behind him, Jeremiah looked on the verge of tears, still waiting for his brother to come out of the forest. Sebastian couldn’t believe a man like that, with a hard face, broad shoulders and muscle rippling under every visible part of skin, was going to burst into tears in front of everyone. Octavia was rubbing Jeremiah’s arm soothingly, but it didn’t seem to make any difference. Meanwhile, Kerry, beside him, was dragging her fingers through her hair over and over, looking upset.

“What is it?” Sebastian queried.

“Oh, well it’s just that… seeing Gregory all like that… If he looks that terrible, I’m sure I do too!” concluded Kerry, her frustrated hands getting stuck in a particularly difficult matt.

“Well if that’s all that’s worrying you!” laughed Sebastian. He had felt sure that Kerry was going to say something deep and meaningful, but he couldn’t have been more wrong. “You can take a shower when we get back to the Castle.”

“You bet I will!” she agreed heartily, abandoning the attempt with her hair. “I’ll gather all the soap in the country and pour it in a steaming bath, first thing. I’m disgusting!”

“You don’t know that. You haven’t even looked in a mirror yet.”

“Oh, men!” Kerry whimpered, and began gnawing on her lip.

“Come on, Kerry, you’re beautiful. Stop worrying,” said Sebastian, though he was enjoying the entertainment.

“Beautiful? That thing?” smirked a voice from behind them.

 

Celeste. Of course it had to be Celeste. Kerry was about ready to leap forward and choke her to death, when the sound of someone crashing through the trees caught everyone’s attention. Seconds later, the forest coughed up a dazed and dishevelled Patrick. Jeremiah was at his side immediately, followed by Octavia, Abigail, Abraham and Ed. The rest of them however, including Celeste, stayed rooted to the spot.

“Sweetie, I don’t mean to trash your self-esteem, but Sebastian only said that ‘cause he’s in love with you. What was it Goulamon said? Burning passion, bright candlelight against the all-consuming black?” said Celeste, her voice thick with sarcasm. “I pity you, really, you’re both so… tragic. Tragically ugly.”  

“Pathetic. Completely pathetic,” Sebastian responded, mimicking her tone and rolling his eyes. “Wasn’t even funny.”

“Ok, here’s the way it goes, idiot,” said Celeste, dropping the act in an instant. “I will wipe that grin off your face with my own knife if you don’t give me what I want.” And she tapped the knife secured against her hip, the threat unmistakable.

“And what do you want, Celeste?” asked Benjamin. Celeste whipped around to find the handsome youth right behind her, dark brows drawn together in anger.

“Benjamin! Um…” Benjamin covered the distance between them in two long strides and grabbed her arm, twisting it viciously.

“You’ve already ruined my life, you want to destroy theirs too?” he demanded, gesturing towards Sebastian and Kerry, who looked on with surprise.

“N-no, Benjamin, I-”

“Why don’t you do us all a favour and go throw yourself off a cliff before I do it for you?” At this, silence fell and every head was turned towards Celeste and Benjamin. There was a moment where nobody moved. Then Octavia stepped forward and gently prised Benjamin’s fingers off Celeste’s arm, where his nails had dug shallow, bloody cuts.

“Oh, go away, fat face. If you interfere with my personal business again, I’ll hang your husband and kids up by their ankles,” snapped Celeste. Octavia, having already begun to walk away, turned back. Very, very slowly. Her eyes finally locked with Celeste’s, fixing her with a gaze so full of hatred, Sebastian had to blink several times before he could believe it. Sweet, gentle, happy Octavia, glaring like that? Octavia’s face was centimetres away from the other woman’s.

“Don’t you dare threaten my family, b***h,” she spat. “Don’t you dare.” And she strode away without a backward glance.

 

Barely minutes after this alarming scene had disintegrated, King Siotan appeared, smoothly dismounting a white stallion and planting his feet firmly on the ground. He turned to face them, his arms spread out as if to embrace them all, a speech already beginning on his lips.

“Don’t. Just don’t say anything at all,” interrupted the Prince in a tired voice, before his father could say a word.

“No, Gregory, I think I will if you don’t mind,” said Siotan, a light smile playing on his lips. Then he turned back to the rest of the group and the smile faded. “Yes, you have all survived the first challenge, and it is a great victory and you must be proud of yourselves and those around you for accomplishing this. However, there are still many more tasks to come and it can only get worse, I’m afraid. Of course, I must also remind you that one of our number is to be sent home shortly. Let’s all wish our friend Patrick farewell and good luck.” There was a shallow round of applause and a few hugs were exchanged. “Now. I know about what has transpired before I arrived. Ladies and gentlemen you must never forget you are in competition with one another. But may I remind you that I can not and will not tolerate threats, insults and violence in my courts. During a challenge is one thing. But outside of it? How far the human race has fallen if we resort to petty words for… what, a meagre satisfaction that we know deep down is wrong? I expect better.” Then Octavia stepped forward and all eyes fell on her.

“I apologise, Your Majesty, I spoke out of hand,” she admitted, her eyes cast downward. But Sebastian had a feeling she wasn’t sorry at all.

“I will forgive this transgression, Octavia, but I am disappointed in each and every one of you,” replied the King. Then he smiled again, this time broadly and openly. “Congratulations on your performances today! The rest of your day is to be spent at your leisure, but tomorrow, the next challenge awaits you.” After this, the group began to disperse. Sebastian hung back, however, and as the King made to leave, he stepped forward tentatively.

“Your Majesty?” he began.

“Yes?”

“Your Majesty, when I was in the forest, my leg fell into the ground and got stuck.”

“Ah, sinking soil. Another ingenious idea of mine, if I do say so myself.”

“Definitely, yes… Um, I couldn’t get out, but then this, er, phoenix came and… sort of lit up everything. It breathed fire around my leg, like a- like a dragon, kind of… and then I was free. And then, as it took off, its feathers, er, sort of brushed my eyes. And your illusion broke. I could see daylight.”

“That was not part of my challenge,” answered Siotan, a crease appearing between his eyebrows. It cleared a second later. “But these things happen. I suspect it escaped the stronghold in the Castle where we keep some of the birds… Strange… My regards to you for letting me know. Good day to you, Sebastian Worth.”     

 

Sebastian flopped down on his bed, determined not to move one single muscle for the rest of the day. He did not think any more on what the King had said to him. He was so tired, he didn’t even bother to change into pyjamas before his eyes fluttered closed and he fell into a dreamless sleep. Next thing he knew, someone was shaking him awake. When his eyes finally focused, he was surprised to find Benjamin leaning over him, gripping his shoulders. He had expected Kerry, or Ed, or even Abigail. Certainly not the man who had threatened to murder a girl hours before.

“What time‘s it?” Sebastian mumbled groggily. Benjamin glanced impatiently at a grandfather clock that stood in the corner of the room.

“About two in the afternoon,” he answered, springing to his feet and beginning to pace.

“’Sup with you?” asked Sebastian.

“Listen, I’ve got to talk to you, man,” said Benjamin. “I need to explain what happened earlier, with Celeste and everything.”

“Well look, it’s ok, nobody’s judging you she’s-”

“No I really need to explain myself, ok? Celeste is really good with all that mind stuff, reading people and that, like what Goulamon tried to teach us. And I mean really good. She can actually manipulate people’s thoughts. That’s what she did with me, and I didn’t know. Until Goulamon told me. He’d spent days studying our minds, so of course he knew what she was doing to me and he warned me. Ever since, I’ve been so angry with Celeste, but I haven’t had a chance to get my revenge. But it’s despicable, isn’t it, what she did to me?” gushed Benjamin, clearly determined to defend himself and make Sebastian understand his actions.

“Um, what did she manipulate your thoughts for? What did she make you do, exactly?” asked Sebastian, even more confused.

“Octavia didn’t tell you?”

“Tell me what?”

“Celeste and I… we… we had an affair, only I guess I didn’t, really,” Benjamin said, and finally Sebastian understood.

“Oh… How did Octavia know?”

“She caught us a while back. And there’s something else. Celeste really did ruin my life, Sebastian, because I have a fiancée at home and I let her down, without meaning to.” Sebastian wasn’t sure what he was expected to say. He didn’t know why Benjamin was telling him all this. Yes, he felt sorry for the man, but how can you really put that in words? His brain was still slow and stupid after just waking up, so his thinking was groggy and disconnected.

“I’m sorry,” was all he managed to get out. Given the circumstances, saying any more would probably have made things worse anyway.

 

Problems were just piling up on Sebastian, and he didn’t know what to do with any of them. Second challenge tomorrow… Kerry’s sister Lea, sick… his mother and Mergol… Benjamin’s pain… Too much to deal with. And there was no way to deal with them, anyway. There was no way he could fix other people’s problems.

“You stink,” came a voice, an unfamiliar one. It was soft and timid, but clear and unwavering at the same time. Sebastian looked up and found it belonged to Lillian, who was approaching him, strawberry waves falling down her back like a waterfall. These were the first words she had spoken to him throughout the many weeks they had lived, trained and battled together. He really hoped she wasn’t going to dump another problem on him.

“Gee, thanks,” he said, grinning. “Real charming first words.”

“Well, I’m honest if nothing else,” said Lillian, in that same quietly commanding voice. She showed no sign of amusement. For some reason, it crossed Sebastian’s mind that Lillian might be the biggest threat in the Battle of Larion. Small, silent, a background figure, she was easily overlooked, but behind the mousy face and petite stature, her blue-grey eyes were hard.

“I’ll remember that,” Sebastian promised.

“Ok, seriously, hit the showers,” insisted Lillian, and stalked away. That was it.



© 2013 Addi


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

121 Views
Added on March 10, 2013
Last Updated on March 10, 2013


Author

Addi
Addi

Australia



About
I'm really just looking for some feedback on my work so please check it out and let me know how I've done! :) more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Addi


Two Two

A Chapter by Addi


Three Three

A Chapter by Addi