As Time Goes By

As Time Goes By

A Story by AK
"

An unforgettable experience.

"

I went to see Craig Chaquico in concert at the Performing Arts Center (PAC) in Anchorage a few years ago. As a contemporary jazz fan, Craig is one of my favorite guitarists. He brought his band along and everyone was excited about the show.

Craig took the stage without a word and opened with a blistering hard rock guitar solo reminiscent of his Jefferson Starship years that brought the audience to its feet. The PAC has exquisite acoustics and not a single note was lost as Craig absolutely shredded the song on his Fender Stratocaster.
 
As the show progressed the band returned to the slightly less energetic but just as exciting jazz genre. Craig’s rapport with the audience was natural and warm and we were all appreciative of the wide range of talent on the stage before us. Craig’s original songs “Her Boyfriend’s Wedding’ and ‘Jazz Noon’ were well received.
 
At one point Craig asked if he could share a story…
The lights were brought down and he began to talk about his relationship with his parents. He said they were always supportive of him, he spoke of them with obvious love and affection.
They loved to travel and their last trip together had taken them to Europe. Craig said they liked to drive around and explore on their own. One morning Craig’s father awoke and felt odd. He told his wife that he thought maybe they should go find a doctor. As they were about to get into their rental car he asked if she would drive this time. She helped him get in the passenger’s seat and closed the door. He rolled the window down and said he needed a kiss, so she obliged.
By the time she walked around the car and got into the driver's seat he was gone… he just slipped away in those few moments of time.
As Craig finished the story the house lights were dimmed to absolute darkness. From the silence the saxophone player began playing one phrase from the classic song ‘As Time Goes By’. As he played the line, “a kiss is still a kiss, a sigh is just a sigh”, a single spot light came up on the horn. The phrase repeated ten or twelve times, the only light in the house was on that soulful saxophone player… all else was black. The music eventually stopped, the saxophonist bowed his head, and the single spot light very slowly dimmed to at last reveal only the outline of the musician on stage.
 
The audience was absolutely and completely silent. There was no conversation, no coughing, no applause, no whispering, not a single sound for what seemed an eternity. As the lights slowly came up I stole a quick glance around and everyone I saw had tears streaming down their cheeks, including me. The silence held for a moment more and then the applause slowly began. I will never forget those few moments as I watched one man with a saxophone bring tears to the eyes of two-thousand people. It was one of the most profound experiences I have ever had in a public setting.
 
I think writers should share of themselves. I think they should remind folks of the things that are important. Things like compassion, caring, patience, love, faith…
Share the things that have helped mold and change and shape your life. Give the rest of us some encouragement, some strength, some reason to get up and go on. Let your words be meaningful and helpful, even inspirational if you can. Let them be honest and plain and human.
 
Please... let your gift make a difference. Let your light shine.
 

 
 

Photobucket

© 2010 AK


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
J
Well D, it seems you brought me along so I could stand beside you and weep with the other 2000 at the heartbreaking humanness of this person who has not forgotten that all of us, no exceptions, need to touch each other on a level universal to humanity. Hardship, loss, pain, catastrophe, struggle knows no class distinction. It is at once comforting, uplifting, and tragic.

You know I haven't been able to write for weeks. And I think you just showed me why . . . trying to mask and obscure the truth. I shall give it another try. I believe I forgot to look inside in lieu of looking for pretty words.

Your heart never fails to bring me up short and remind me that writing is so much more . . .

Know that you have made a difference.

Love,
j

ps - As Time Goes By . . . one of my favorite songs. ;-)

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

There are moments when time stands still - maybe the 'none hour' we mentioned elsewhere. I can't really imagine what it must have been like to be there as that music stopped - and I do know the tune, it was one of my mother's favourites .. all i know is that I still have goosebumps and tears in my eyes. To think of asking for a kiss then, dying - undoubtedly happy at leaving the world knowing you're loved.

There are experiences that carry us through life, teaching lessons that even the greatest philosphers might not understand, so busy they are in thinking rather than feeling .. to write of times like this is one lesson I won't forget and one post i'll remember.

Thank you

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

So I cried too....
That being said. I saw Craig a few years back here in Alb. Amazing guitarist and very approachable. My husband is a big smooth jazz fan.
You have such a way of telling a story, even when 'retelling' someone else's story. peace.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

More impact than a "feel good" feature length film...
your account is powerfully stirring ...
so many have been given gifts they could well use to change lives....
yet they simply let them be tossed about in the wind taking on any form to please the masses.
each moment a gift in itself...each person...a treasure...always take to time to share a kiss
some things cannot wait.


Blesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ah, you achieved that moment of silence there in the telling of the story. Bravo. That must have been an amazing moment to experience. Thank you for the insight to share the story and the gift to make it an experience for us as well.

"I think writers should share of themselves. I think they should remind folks of the things that are important. Things like compassion, caring, patience, love, faith�
Share the things that have helped mold and change and shape your life. Give the rest of us some encouragement, some strength, some reason to get up and go on. Let your words be meaningful and helpful, even inspirational if you can. Let them be honest and plain and human.

Please... let your gift make a difference. Let your light shine."


And you are! Well done.




Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Without a doubt, Dale...this is one of your BEST pieces yet. The man you are spills over onto every reader that reads this. You drew us right into the concert and you did not miss a beat.

Your ending was dynamite! It sends a message to all who will listen:

I think writers should share of themselves. I think they should remind folks of the things that are important. Things like compassion, caring, patience, love, faith�Share the things that have helped mold and change and shape your life. Give the rest of us some encouragement, some strength, some reason to get up and go on. Let your words be meaningful and helpful, even inspirational if you can. Let them be honest and plain and human.

Please... let your gift make a difference. Let your light shine.


YES-YES-YES! We all have something to share that will make a difference! Very well done! :-)

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

hmmm I shall listen to his music again.. I went to Jan Garbarek concerts, 4 times... I adored the atmosphere. you sure know that music, too. This essay was peaceful and beautifully written, it lets me feel warm and familiar. you conserved the moment.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

thanks for sharing this

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

A wonderful write. I believe that every prayer, if it comes from the heart, is a poem and every verse touching humanity with love is a prayer. But it is not enough to "keep the faith", we must share it. I speak not of religion; but of faith...faith in a greater good, faith in fellow man and faith in the tomorrow of our dreams. It has been said ( by Joni Mitchell in Big Yellow Taxi, among others) that "you do'nt know what you've got till it's gone". I say there is no time like the present to remedy that situation and start showing some appreciation for the everyday blessings in our lives; from the air we breathe to those we hold most dear in our loving heart of hearts. An attitude of gratitude keeps self-pity at bay. It's impossible to feel sorry for yourself when focused on the blessings in your life. And sharing those blessings of love and joy with others should be what not only Christmas, but life , is all about. Thank you for sharing this excellent write with us here at the Cafe' and Merry Christmas!

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

You've captured a moment that most of us here had not experienced and brought us into the venue to share it. The moment certainly had significance and hopefully impact for many others. fabulous.

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

a standing ovation here

your words, very nearly did what the lone saxophone accomplished

thank you so much for the message

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

448 Views
12 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 29, 2008
Last Updated on August 10, 2010

Author

AK
AK

AK



About
If you haven't visited my Alaska... well... well... shame on you : >) Small brook just outside of Woodstock, Vermont. October 14, 2010 "Oh... that feels so good" - May 17, 2009 .. more..

Writing
Just One Just One

A Poem by AK


Blue Moon Blue Moon

A Story by AK



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..