Resolution

Resolution

A Story by alanwgraham
"

A long outstanding task is resolved.

"
That night I slept soundly in the happy knowledge that the matter that had been long preying on my mind would be resolved in the next few days. Regardless of the outcome I would be able to move forward with the rest of my life.

I woke at six, ate a hearty breakfast and prepared my saddlebags for my journey of five days. Astride my chestnut mare Conquest I set off at eight with the weather set fair, the blue sky broken by scattered clouds and a cool breeze.

My journey to Georgetown proved uneventful. The Star Inn where I spent my first night was passable with a soft mattress, a sterling mutton pie and fine ale. The only events of any note in my journey were a brief exchange with a highwayman, an argument with two Irish beggars and a skirmish with a wild boar in the Forest of Dartford when I dismounted for a piss.

Beginning to weary after two long days in the saddle I was greatful to reach my abode for the night, the Crosskeys Inn on the outskirts of Georgetown. In spite of a nagging anxiety about the morrow I passed a pleasant evening with the buxom serving lass Bess attending to my every want - well most of them. I took care not to overindulge in the moreish local ale as my head would have to be as clear as a mountain brook for whatever the morrow would bring.

Later, in my room, my thoughts turned as they often did to my unresolved predicament. Often in one's unpredictable passage through life events can turn against you. The easy path is to do nothing and live with anxiety gnawing away at your soul. The braver way is to remove the cancre by decisive action.

After a night riven by frightful and unresolved dreams I breakfasted well on bacon, three Norfolk sausages accompanied by two fried eggs - perhaps echoes of the condemned man's last meal - and sharpened my metaphorical dagger.

After packing my bag I mounted Conquest and cantered the short way into town with my heart beating a frenetic tattoo. In no time I stood before the door of my destiny. My hand poised for final moments, I could still turn for home but seizing the moment I rapped firmly. I could hear footsteps.

The events passed as I had hoped as I had the great advantage of surprise. The journey home was uneventful and there was no sign of pursuit. With the dark cloud on my soul removed I could now resume a life untethered.

My final message for the reader is to act decisively. In so doing remove the weight from your life which is preventing an easy freedom.

© 2022 alanwgraham


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

An effective tale with much wisdom to be resolute, focus on the task at hand, see it through and learn lessons along the way. I like the style, the imagery, the twists and turns. We must act decisively as the writer powerfully states.
You are good Alan...

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

1 Year Ago

Many thanks Sami for your kind review.
Cheers,
Alan
Sami Khalil

1 Year Ago

You are welcome. Cheers!



Reviews

An effective tale with much wisdom to be resolute, focus on the task at hand, see it through and learn lessons along the way. I like the style, the imagery, the twists and turns. We must act decisively as the writer powerfully states.
You are good Alan...

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

1 Year Ago

Many thanks Sami for your kind review.
Cheers,
Alan
Sami Khalil

1 Year Ago

You are welcome. Cheers!

You really are so bloomin good at this game Alan & whilst I found myself anticipating some unexpected twist in the tail of this beautiful monster, I was not in the slightest bit disappointed, but rather & much to the contrary, delighted with the series of very punchy & elsewise practical snips of very sound advice throughout .. and that summative last line, far from delivering some killer blow, could, in my opinion just save a life here and there ... Presently on my third read mate .. write on sir .............. Neville


Posted 2 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great write and wonderful advice! Thanks for sharing. ~Sharon

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

2 Years Ago

Thanks Miss Sharon. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
All the best,
Alan
Act decisively indeed! But not impulsively. There is a fine line. Well written.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

2 Years Ago

Thanks for your kind review M J.
I agree, there is always a fine line!
Regards and tha.. read more
I’m not qualified to critique a story, barely qualified to do poetry but I can say I enjoyed reading this, it flowed well and left me wanting more. There is the mysterious element left hanging there and I can fill it in with whatever my mind drums up with whatever mood I’m in and I like that, it’s kind of how I feel about black and white photos. All in all it’s good writing in my humble opinion. It’s been awhile since I did creative writing in story telling, I would rather read others while I stick to my moody short poems. Well done

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

2 Years Ago

Thanks Patricia. Not my usual short story as they usually have a twist at the end. I've lost my mojo.. read more
Patricia

2 Years Ago

You too? Well don’t do what I did and throw your pen, close your account and then come back and ea.. read more
Wow it's a true saga story right, i can't write such from imagination so i ask. Its such an awesome entertaining creatively presented story and i was admiring many lines esp how you said you didn't drink to keep your head clear as a brook, nicely phrased that.! It seemed classic and i was pleasantly surprised that people still ride on horseback. Kudos for this fab one.

Plz do read and comment my newest poem too titled, "Dandy randy Tom cat."

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

2 Years Ago

Thanks for you lovely review Zaynab. My story is set a few hundred years ago and is all from my imag.. read more
Cloak and dagger through and through. More than excellent. You hook the reader force us along and leave us wondering what just happened.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

2 Years Ago

Thanks Cherrie for your kind review. I really wasn't too sure about this story but it seems to have .. read more
Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

You created an excellent tale of mystery.
Hi Alan, this is a well-told story, it grips the imagination from beginning to end. The rider has something, or someone, deep on his mind. He is riding to a predestined moment that he can change if he wishes but he rides on. I love the ending, the way you leave it up to the reader to put their own ending, what has happened at this door after he knocks. Whatever weighed on his mind is now over, or is it? Have a wonderful evening....Mike.


Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

2 Years Ago

Thanks for your kind review Mike. I wasn't sure how this story would be received so I'm pleasant it'.. read more
Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

You could even follow up with the flipside of the story.
shadrach hah

2 Years Ago

Now that is an idea, Alan. You are welcome, my friend....Mike
You are very kind Ken. It is always good to try something different and satisfying when someone finds something worthwhile in it.
All the best,
Alan

Posted 2 Years Ago


I love the way this is written. The style and the way it is couched in such language as to seem everyday for the protagonist. and yet it comes to a universal conclusion. I would have like more but my thirst was sated for the nonce. Brilliant.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

431 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 17, 2021
Last Updated on May 22, 2022

Author

alanwgraham
alanwgraham

Scotland, United Kingdom



About
Married with three kids, I retired early from teaching physics but have always enjoyed mountains. In my forties I experienced a manic episode which kick-started a creative urge. I've written a novel .. more..

Writing
The Seer The Seer

A Story by alanwgraham



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Echoes of You Echoes of You

A Poem by Relic