society sucks

society sucks

A Story by Amandaaharris

Why is it the older we get writing, drawing, and creative acts get harder? We spend more time thinking about what to produce then we spend making the art. We are more worried about what other people are making and if some how, in any way, ours will fit in. There is a large population of the world that has lost its imagination, or touch with it's inner child, if you will. The world has become a much duller place. Where ever you are, I'm sure there is constant movement. Trains, cars, bikes, planes, people walking, people talking. Going from point A to point B. But, at the end of it all lies a question. What is the point? As humans we have been programmed to constantly be on the move. After all, isn't there always something to be done? Wrong. Since we were children we have been taught that every day is an agenda and we must fill it. From school to soccer practice, to the dinner table to the shower, and then, to bed. Where we sleep soundly until its time to wake up and do it all over again. Now, what do you think the world would be like if we learned to stop for at least 30 minutes everyday and breathe. Enjoy a movie and not have to make sure we go to sleep in time to wake up so early for life. What if we taught our kids that its good to be productive and learn and make money but there is more to life. What good is it if you don't have time for true interaction. True connection. As a society I believe its time to take a step back and really take in the world around us. It's a time to be alive isn't it? Then why are we watching that time pass us by while we are jumping from trend to trend, absorbed in our technology or worrying about things we cannot control. I fully support the theory that our life styles today are a direct effect to the mental illness numbers sky rocketing. Meeting someone with a mental illness is as common as passing a Wawa on the East coast. It's horrendous. We have never been taught to not only take care of our bodies physically but mentally. It is effecting our world, our families, our friends, and one day maybe even us. So be the one to start that conversation. As a whole the human race needs to be more comfortable being uncomfortable. 

© 2019 Amandaaharris


Author's Note

Amandaaharris
food for thought.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

yes it does. couldn't agree more. we get conformity shoved down our throats starting at an early age. maybe not everyone wants a 9-5 job and to live in a house with a white picket fence. as usual, our screwed up society addresses a problem after the horse has left the barn and something bad happens. where were they before ... :)

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is such a smart write. Reading this gives me hope for tomorrow, and the next generation to come. Great job!

Posted 3 Years Ago


You are a wise person. I am so guilty of this. The crazy thing is if I'm not busy as hell running h e re and running there then I feel guilty. Why? It's crazy. Maybe I enjoy the rat race. Uggggg!

I can't relax and watch a movie. I wish I could.

Posted 3 Years Ago


yes it does. couldn't agree more. we get conformity shoved down our throats starting at an early age. maybe not everyone wants a 9-5 job and to live in a house with a white picket fence. as usual, our screwed up society addresses a problem after the horse has left the barn and something bad happens. where were they before ... :)

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

168 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 30, 2019
Last Updated on January 30, 2019
Tags: mental illness, society, creativity, breathe

Author

Amandaaharris
Amandaaharris

levittown , PA



Writing
Goodbye Goodbye

A Story by Amandaaharris



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Exposure Exposure

A Poem by Chris Shaw


I'm not me I'm not me

A Poem by SheIsMe