The Gifted Egomaniac

The Gifted Egomaniac

A Poem by lovelymarina
"

wrote this in under ten minutes, busy with school and it’s hard finding time to perfect my pieces. Criticism/ comments appreciated :)

"
How?
So easy for them,
so dreadful for us.

Fascinating-
they flow without training…
no book in sight,
words that puncture-
with ease.

Stabbed from syllable to sentence,
their effort meager…
ways of capturing a feeling,
through context we mustn’t understand.

Convincing.
Communication.
Brilliance;

To bellow mere verse is a gift few of us successfully achieve…

We like to call ourselves poets,
frantically write ‘til something worth words is born…
we love the validation,
a review,
a comment;
ecstasy.

Unfortunately,
it seems as though,
the narcissists have beat us at our own game.

© 2022 lovelymarina


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

If I may borrow the words of another "Franklin" here, "He who falls in love with himself will have no rivals." Benjamin Franklin (laughing) I've always thought and felt that the proper course of writing, any writing, is communication. To communicate our thoughts, feelings and references in such a manner that we not only entice, inform and entertain our readers but that we make them feel at home. A good writer to me, is a good host or hostess. The reader is their company, come to dine. If the host or hostess insults the guest, it's not likely they'll be back to visit. The insult can come by way of condescension, pedantry or repetition. It can come by boring the guest to pieces with minute and unwanted details. That's where I hear the voice of Thoreau shouting, SIMPLIFY! In poetry, I prefer slices of real life on my plate as opposed to lofty idealism and suffering longwinded egotism. This is a brilliant little gem of poetry here. It takes a slightly humorous look at the insecurity of self and the efforts of communication. I'm always working at my craft, reading, learning from others and studying different avenues of inspiration. But I also feel very much like the quote of Thomas Jefferson when he said, "I cannot live without books." Reading was my first great love. I grew up dirt poor and had very few toys or playmates. I began reading as a means of escape and entertainment and the love of it just consumed me until I began to write and find my own voice. My brother told me a story of his encounter with a millennial who boldly told him, "It's not fair that you have so much money and stuff and I don't have that." My brother was dumbfounded considering he has worked all his life for everything he has, served his country fighting in Vietnam and saved countless lives in his service as a civilian nurse and combat medic. Sometimes, it's a skewered perspective on what we perceive rather than a personal insult on what we have achieved. I like what God asked Cain in the Bible, "If you do well, will you not be accepted?" And as old Shaky Spear would say, "Ah, there's the rub!" If you can churn out such works in ten minutes, you needn't worry about the narcissists, after all, they have their own self-love to sustain them. (smile) I enjoyed this poem. Thanks for sharing your considerable talent, Bless, F.

Posted 2 Years Ago


lovelymarina

2 Years Ago

This review was more extensive and detailed than I could ever ask for. I thoroughly enjoyed reading .. read more
Fabian G. Franklin

2 Years Ago

"just feel them" That's the whole of the matter, there. Poetry is feeling conveyed. You've got this... read more
This is brilliantly put. Heavy sigh… the way I feel every day. Although I’ve never said oh to be a narcissist, I secretly wish I could be for a day. You know I love your writing…bees knees!

Posted 2 Years Ago


lovelymarina

2 Years Ago

Thank you dearly for the review, I'm sure a lot of us wish we could turn on that little narcissistic.. read more
I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOUR WORDS WITHIN THIS PIECE, WRITING POETRY DOES COME EASIER TO SOME THAN OTHERS BUT IF WE JUST LET THE WORDS/FEELINGS FLOW AND YOU’LL DO FINE. BTW:THANKS FOR THE FRIEND REQUEST. I’M LOOKING FORWARD TO READING MORE OF YOUR WORK.
HSG 😇

Posted 2 Years Ago


lovelymarina

2 Years Ago

Thank you love, for the review. I will take a look at your stuff soon!
Xx,
Marina
heavenscentgirl1

2 Years Ago

YOU’RE WELCOME, MY PLEASURE 😇 HSG
Reading you Marina, I think how we are all our own worse critics. We all want to write a decent poem that gets recognised. You know, I would love to be able to write something in ten minutes. Sadly my brain ain't that accommodating. I would also like to be more prolific, sadly that ain't happening either. I do what I can, much the same as other poets do what they can.

Good to read your thoughts.

Chris

Posted 2 Years Ago


lovelymarina

2 Years Ago

We do what we can is right. We all long to create something that makes anyone feel everything...but .. read more
Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

You are welcome Marina 🌹
Hello, Amanda! :)
This was a fun, relatable read. We all get frustrated at times. Some of us use it to dredge up thoughts. Haha
We can share all of our moods in writing if we choose. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 2 Years Ago


lovelymarina

2 Years Ago

And that's the beauty of poetry...
Whether sad, frustrated, blissful, angry, the list goes on.. read more
I wish I could write 5 poems a week like some of the others here but...I can't. Maybe someday.

Posted 2 Years Ago


lovelymarina

2 Years Ago

We are all our biggest critics...
Thanks for the comment Relic,
Marina
those who think they are great poets?
Seldom are....
those who are humble, blue collar poets...are better than they think they are.
Your writes are always thoughtful and make us reflect.

funny....since 1970 when I started writing, all I ever wanted to be was a poet.
And I still don't feel that I am there Yet....

maybe someday.
j.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Nothing you said Marina was offensive, I just wanted you to know how modest Jacob is and what a grea.. read more
lovelymarina

2 Years Ago

Cant wait to order them …. thanks for letting me know.
Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

You are welcome. 57 and Beyond is one of his latest. I can thoroughly recommend it. Happy reading.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

309 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 13, 2021
Last Updated on February 7, 2022

Author

lovelymarina
lovelymarina

NC



About
more..

Writing
Selena Selena

A Poem by lovelymarina



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..