Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

A Chapter by amdc101

Ange's door creaked open and she slowly emerged into the night. The darkness swallowed each of them whole. Sage was still asleep, riding in their small wooden cart that would have to do until they could get her somewhere more comfortable. Her shabby quilt remained tucked around her. Robin pulled another wagon full of the assortment of herbs she had pulled from her garden. The other girls rode on their horse. Anj lifted them on once they got outside and untied the large creature. They brought only what they could carry. As quickly as they could they crept into town, doing their best to not wake anyone in the sleeping houses surrounding the square. The tents of the Taining Folk had been disassembled, and the large group of travelers now stood ready to leave.

May tugged on Robin's dress and pointed towards the crowd. "Mommy," she tried to whisper, but her voice still carried. "Look at those people with the funny masks."
Robin and Anj, already aware of the faces behind those painted smiles, quickly guided her away.

Castor sat alone. He had a belt of knives and swords, a supply of bow and arrows, and he was going exploring. Normally this would be his favorite environment-surrounded by people accustomed to not having much, who would ask nothing of him. But he felt nothing. A hollow emptiness had replaced the dread that had been inside him so much lately. All he could do now was to go through the motions of letting no one else down. So here he was.

Firethorn came up to him and spoke in a gentle voice. "Everyone is here. They're getting  anxious to leave." Castor nodded, his eyes blank and his mind clearly somewhere else. He stood and took his place at the front of the group. He began to walk, and even though he spoke not a word, people began to follow him.


The moon lit only half of the soldier's face. The blue and green glinted off of his chest, but his heart was blackened. He remained in the shadows of the castle until the group disappeared. Then he descended into the dark tunnel.


© 2012 amdc101


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Love the ending, makes me want to read on and then find out that I can't! :( This story is getting better and better by each chapter. Thanks for the short chapter, by the way. :) Well written. I hope to read more soon so, as usual, keep on writing! Again, good job!

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

150 Views
1 Review
Added on July 13, 2012
Last Updated on July 13, 2012


Author

amdc101
amdc101

CT



About
I love writing, all different genres-send me read requests and I'll read as much as I can. Message me about groups and stuff... Anything else? I don't know, check out my writing! more..

Writing
NIght NIght

A Poem by amdc101


Handlebars Handlebars

A Poem by amdc101