Chapter Eight: Castor's Plan

Chapter Eight: Castor's Plan

A Chapter by amdc101
"

What will the dwarves and elves be helping him with?

"

Chapter Eight

Castor’s Plan


The first rays of sunlight were peeking over the top of Stonegate Mountain, lighting up the leaves on the trees, and dappling the forest floor in light. The nocturnal creatures that lived in the wood shuffled back into the shadows, and deep in the mines Castor puzzled over how to approach the elves. The plan was complete, but it could not be put into action until the elves were in agreement.
“Alright, that’s it. I have to go to the duel tomorrow. They hate him as much as you do, don’t they?”
Almost at once had Castor found a loophole in the Lion Prince’s request. He had said any one weapon of his choice, and no human being could accompany Castor. The obvious solution was to go to the dwarves and the elves. They were not human beings. Morin had convinced Gamling easily to help him, and he had convinced the other dwarves while Castor and Morin planned. But the elves, the most vital part of their plan, were going to be harder to convince.
“Exactly. They don’t want to be stuck with him for all eternity. What have the humans sacrificed for them? Why should they make life better for you people?” Morin replied.
“Well we’ll never know if we don’t try. I’m going to go ask them,” Castor said briskly, and marched out of the mines. Arriving back at the base of Stonegate mountain, he turned again to the magical map. Counting over to the third oak on the elves side, he pushed the large knot and a curtain of vines fell away, leading him into a beautiful wonderland.
A clear blue stream gurgled through the soft, mossy ground. Sunlight shining through the trees dappled the forest floor with leafy shadows. Birds sang and a light breeze rustled the branches. Three tall beings approached him.
“Shadowheart,” Castor bowed in respect.
The tall figure would make you think it was human, until you looked up and saw that it’s ears were pointed. And if you looked carefully at its clothing, you could tell that they were wearing long branches and leaves.
The king of the elves bowed to Castor in turn. He was flanked by Everstone and Everglade, brother elves.
“Castor,” Shadowheart greeted him. Everstone and Everglade nodded to Castor, keeping their eyes down. They had shared many inside jokes with the quartermaster, but it would be inappropriate to laugh in front of their leader.
“What brings you here today?” Shadowheart asked in his deep voice.
“I have something to ask of you. A kind of favor,” Castor chose his words carefully, seeing how Shadowheart’s face had become more guarded. “The Lion Prince-,” the elves scowled and scoffed at the name,”-he requested a duel with me.” Castor waited for their reaction.
Everstone and Everglade merely snickered, knowing the Prince would stand know chance, but Shadowheart lifted his chin defiantly.
“I do not see how this concerns us. We are not fighters. We have taught you what we know.”
“Of course!” Castor was nervous now. “You are not fighters - and that is very noble. I am not here to ask you to fight. I am here,” he coughed,” to ask you to stop the fighting. Stop the Lion Prince. Come with me to my duel, take him prisoner so that none will have to fight him again,” he lookeed up at the tall elf hopefully.
“Very well,” Shadowheart answered slowly, “We will consider your request.”
He nodded and the three of them turned away. Castor knew this to mean he was dismissed. He walked back out and the veil of vines hid the secret of the elves once again. Going back to the elves quickly, he told them of the encounter and they began to prepare him a weapon.

~


Ange left Robin with the six children to ride into town and find Castor. The night before had been interesting. They had learned that Melina and Moreno had been the Lion Prince’s personal slaves, and Robin was right in thinking they would need to hide them.
“We heard many things. They fetched us back every time we tried to escape so we couldn’t let any of his secrets slip,” Melina had said.
Ange had sent Hawthorn to Lia and Camden to tell them they were leaving, and all about Prince Calleo. Lia had come at once to say good-bye, and explained that she would stay in Modet so if their was any news of the Lion Prince, the travelers could hear it.
Now Ange was riding towards the Taining Folk’s camp and she saw Fablen, Mabel and Firethorn talking. She could see the love sickness in Firethorn’s eyes even from here, but Mabel was oblivious to it. She rode up to them.
“Have any of you seen Castor?” she asked. “I need to talk to him about something.” Now she dismounted her horse.
“We don’t know where he is. We haven’t seen him since the Lion Prince sent messengers to request a duel,” Mabel said apologetically. “Why?”
Ange stepped down off her horse and told the story of the prince and princess.
“And Castor is the best person to go to to appeal to the creatures and find a good hiding place,” Firethorn finished for her. Then he turned to Mabel. “My stories were right then! Told you I have a reliable source!” he teased.
Mabel rolled her eyes playfully.
“Well it has been three days. Castor should be back after the duel,” Fablen pointed out.
“The duel,” Ange said. “I thought I heard that if Castor didn’t go, the prince wouldn’t be set free. Well does he know that our prince is here, safe and sound?”
“No one knows where he went. No one could send a messenger,” Mabel pointed out. “All we can do is wait for him to come home.”
So much waiting.
“Well, thank you for your help. I guess I should go tell Calleo, and then go home and help Robin,” Ange remounted her horse, and with one last smile, she rode away.


© 2011 amdc101


Author's Note

amdc101
Just tell me what you think, I guess. The next chapter will have the big part that I am planning...It was going to be this one but I changed my mind. Thanks!

Thanks to HeartOfStars for giving me the name Camden! I wrote about it on my blog originally for someone in the next chapter, but now for this one as well.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Can't wait to see what happens next! By the way I like the name Camden.
♥ Ta'Shandra

Posted 12 Years Ago


i like the story,
and cant wait to see what happens next!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Oooh interesting, I'm very curious to see where this is going. I am glad I could help you with the name. Well done, I like this.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

FREE author website
Authors are creating beautiful personal websites with Myauthor.space for FREE! Try us before you spend $1000s of dollars
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

202 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 3, 2011
Last Updated on August 4, 2011


Author

amdc101
amdc101

CT



About
I love writing, all different genres-send me read requests and I'll read as much as I can. Message me about groups and stuff... Anything else? I don't know, check out my writing! more..

Writing
NIght NIght

A Poem by amdc101


Handlebars Handlebars

A Poem by amdc101